Jump to content


Favourite quotes from history?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

Black Duke 008 #61 Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25290 battles
  • 994
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014
Sdn Ldr B:       "CRITICALLED"... :popcorn:

 

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

 


Sqn Ldr B #62 Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 6141 battles
  • 18,352
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 01 November 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

Sdn Ldr B:       "CRITICALLED"... :popcorn:

 

You spelt my name wrong.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas


Black Duke 008 #63 Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25290 battles
  • 994
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 01 November 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

 

You spelt my name wrong.

 

You would not even know how to spell your own name...   plus you speak with a lisp...:popcorn:

 

spelt primarily refers to the hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe.

 

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

 


Sqn Ldr B #64 Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 6141 battles
  • 18,352
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014

"spell" in British English

See all translations

spellverb

 UK   US   /spel/

spell verb (FORM WORDS)

A2 [I or T] (spelled or UK also speltspelled or UK also spelt) to ​form a word or words with the ​letters in the ​correct ​order:How do you spell ​receive?Shakespeare did not always spell his own ​name the same way.Our ​address is 1520 Main Street, Albuquerque. Shall I spell that(out) (= say in the ​correct ​order the ​letters that ​form the word) for you?I ​think it's ​important that ​children should be ​taught to spell.
 

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas


WidowMaker1711 #65 Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:34 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11929 battles
  • 10,004
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
To the German Commander.

NUTS!

The American Commander

For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


Party Poison91 #66 Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 16129 battles
  • 2,650
  • [X-OFF]
  • Member since:
    08-22-2013

Montgomery: "After having an easy war, things have now got much more difficult"                                                                                              

Unknown: "cheer up, sir"

Montgomery: "I was talking about Rommel,"


"That's a typical, shabby NAZI trick!"

Black Duke 008 #67 Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:44 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25290 battles
  • 994
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 01 November 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

"spell" in British English

See all translations

spellverb

 UK   US   /spel/

spell verb (FORM WORDS)

A2 [I or T] (spelled or UK also speltspelled or UK also spelt) to ​form a word or words with the ​letters in the ​correct ​order:How do you spell ​receive?Shakespeare did not always spell his own ​name the same way.Our ​address is 1520 Main Street, Albuquerque. Shall I spell that(out) (= say in the ​correct ​order the ​letters that ​form the word) for you?I ​think it's ​important that ​children should be ​taught to spell.
 

 

Spelt (Triticum spelta), also known as dinkel wheat,[2] or hulled wheat,[2] is a species of wheat cultivated since 5000 BCE.

Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europeand northern Spain and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (Triticum aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta. It is ahexaploid wheat, which means it has six sets of chromosomes.

Evolution

Spelt has a complex history. It is a wheat species known from genetic evidence to have originated as a naturally occurring hybrid of a domesticated tetraploid wheat such as emmer wheat and the wild goat-grass Aegilops tauschii. This hybridisation must have taken place in the Near East because this is where Ae. tauschii grows, and it must have taken place before the appearance of common or bread wheat(Triticum aestivum, a hexaploid free-threshing derivative of spelt) in the archaeological record about 8,000 years ago.

Genetic evidence shows that spelt wheat can also arise as the result of hybridisation of bread wheat and emmer wheat, although only at some date following the initial Aegilops–tetraploid wheat hybridisation. The much later appearance of spelt in Europe might thus be the result of a later, second, hybridisation between emmer and bread wheat. Recent DNA evidence supports an independent origin for European spelt through this hybridisation.[3] Whether spelt has two separate origins in Asia and Europe, or single origin in the Near East, is currently unresolved.[4][5]

 

Early history

In Greek mythology spelt (ΖΕΙΑ in Greek) was a gift to the Greeks from the Goddess Demeter, and was first used by the Greeks. Being a sailing people, the Greeks taught the rest of the world wherever they touched how to use, cultivate and honour spelt (ZEIA). The earliest archaeological evidence of spelt is from the fifth millennium BC inTranscaucasia, north-east of the Black Sea, though the most abundant and best-documented archaeological evidence of spelt is in Europe.[6] Remains of spelt have been found in some later Neolithic sites (2500–1700 BC) in Central Europe.[6][7] During the Bronze Age, spelt spread widely in central Europe. In the Iron Age (750–15 BC), spelt became a principal wheat species in southern Germany and Switzerland; by 500 BC, it was in common use in southern Britain.[6]

References to the cultivation of spelt wheat in Biblical times (see matzo), in ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia and in ancient Greece are incorrect and result from confusion with emmer wheat.[8]

 

Later history

In the Middle Ages, spelt was cultivated in parts of SwitzerlandTyrol, and Germany. Spelt was introduced to the United States in the 1890s. In the 20th century, spelt was replaced by bread wheat in almost all areas where it was still grown. The organic farming movement revived its popularity somewhat toward the end of the century, as spelt requires less fertilizer.

Nutrition

 
Spelt, without and with husks

Spelt contains about 57.9 percent carbohydrates (excluding 9.2 percent fibre), 17.0 percent protein and 3.0 percent fat, as well as dietary minerals and vitamins.[9] As it contains a moderate amount of gluten, it is suitable for some baking but that also makes it not suitable for people with coeliac disease.[10] In comparison to hard red winter wheat, spelt has a more soluble protein matrix characterized by a highergliadin:glutenin ratio.[11][12]

 

 

 

 

Products

Spelt flour is becoming more easily available. Spelt bread is sold in health food shops and some bakeries in an increasing variety of types of loaf, similar in colour to light rye breads but usually with a slightly sweet and nutty flavour. Biscuits, crackers, and pretzels are also produced, but are more likely to be found in a specialty bakery or health food store than in a regular grocer's shop. In Germany and Austria, spelt loaves and rolls (Dinkelbrot) are widely available in bakeries as is spelt flour in supermarkets. The unripe spelt grains are dried and eaten as Grünkern ("green grain").

Dutch Jenever makers distill with spelt.[13] Beer brewed from spelt is sometimes seen in Bavaria[14] and Belgium[15] and spelt is distilled to make vodka in Poland.

Literary references

While today spelt is a specialty crop, its popularity as a peasants' staple food of the past has been attested in literature. Although today's Russian-speaking children perhaps do not know exactly what polba (spelt) looks or tastes like,[16] they may recognize the word as something-or-other that can be made into porridge, having heard Pushkin's well-rhymed story in which the poor workman Balda asks his employer the priest "to feed me boiled spelt" ("есть же мне давай варёную полбу").[17] In Horace's Satire 2.6 (late 31 – 30 B.C.), which ends with the story of the Country Mouse and the City Mouse, the country mouse eats spelt at dinner while serving his city guest finer foods.

In The Divine Comedy of Dante AlighieriPietro della Vigna appears as a suicide in Circle VII, ring ii, Canto XIII of the Inferno. Pietro describes the fate awaiting souls guilty of suicide to Dante the Pilgrim and Virgil. According to Pietro, the soul of the suicide grows into a wild tree and is tormented by harpies that feast upon its leaves. Pietro likens the initial growth and transformation of the soul of the suicide to the germination of a grain of spelt (Inferno XIII, 94–102).

Spelt is also mentioned in the Bible. The seventh plague in Egypt reported in Exodus, chapter 9 was said not to have damaged the harvest of wheat and spelt, as these were "late crops".[18] Ezekiel 4:9 says: "Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof ...", though as noted above this is presumably a mistranslation and should be "emmer". It is mentioned again in Isaiah 28:25: "...and put in the wheat in rows and the barley in the appointed place and the spelt in the border thereof?"

 

See also


Edited by Black Duke 008, 02 November 2015 - 01:46 AM.

 

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

 


Black Duke 008 #68 Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:48 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25290 battles
  • 994
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

References

 

Footnotes

 

  1.  "The Plant List".
  2. Jump up to:a b "USDA GRIN Taxonomy".
  3. Jump up^ Blatter RH, Jacomet S, Schlumbaum A (2004). "About the origin of European spelt (Triticum spelta L.): allelic differentiation of the HMW Glutenin B1-1 and A1-2 subunit genes.". PubMed. Retrieved February 14, 2006.
  4. Jump up^ Blatter, R.H.; et al. (2004). "About the origin of European spelt (Triticum spelta L.): allelic differentiation of the HMW Glutenin B1-1 and A1-2 subunit genes".
  5. Jump up^ Ehsanzadeh, Parviz (1999). "Agronomic and Growth Characteristics of Spring Spelt Compared to Common Wheat" (pdf).
  6. Jump up to:a b c Cubadda, Raimondo and Marconi, Emanuele (2002). "Spelt Wheat in Pseudocereals and less Common cereals: Grain Properties and utilization Potential (eds. Belton, Peter S.; Taylor, John R.N.)".
  7.  
  8.  Comparative investigations of gluten proteins from different wheat species, Wieser H., 2010.Accessed: November 01, 2010.
  9.  
  10. Bibliography
  11.  
  12. Padulosi, Stefano, Karl Hammer and J. Heller (1996). Hulled Wheats. Promoting the conservation and use of underutilized and neglected crops. 4. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Hulled Wheats 21–22 July 1995, Castelvecchio Pascoli, Tuscany, Italy.
  13. Zohary, Daniel and Maria Hopf (2000). Domestication of Plants in the Old World. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN ookSources/0-19-850356-3" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background: none;" title="Special:BookSources/0-19-850356-3">0-19-850356-3.

External links:

 

  1. Jump up^ Schober, T. J., Bean, S. R., & Kuhn, M. (2006). "Gluten proteins from spelt (Triticum aestivum ssp. spelta) cultivars: A rheological and size-exclusion high-performance liquid chromatography study." (pdf)Journal of Cereal Science, 44 (2): 161–173. Retrieved2013-11-21.
  2. Jump up^ Kohajdová, Z., & Karovičová, J. (2008). "Nutritional value and baking applications of spelt wheat." (pdf)Acta Sci. Pol., Technol. Aliment 7 (3): 5–14. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
  3. Jump up^ John N. Peragine (30 Nov 2010). The Complete Guide to Growing Your Own Hops, Malts, and Brewing Herbs. Atlantic Publishing Company. p. 128. Retrieved 1 September2012.
  4. Jump up^ Dinkelbier, German Beer Institute, URL accessed Nov 2009
  5. Jump up^ Den Mulder, beer from Huisbrouwerij Den Tseut in Oosteeklo, URL accessed Sept 2013
  6. Jump up^ Кристина Смирнова (24 March 2009). "Что такое полба?"Shkolazhizni.ru.
  7. Jump up^ "Александр Сергеевич Пушкин. Сказка о попе и о работнике его Балде"lib.ru.
  8. Jump up^ Exodus 9:31
  9. Jump up^ Akeret, Ö. (2005). "Plant remains from a Bell Beaker site in Switzerland, and the beginnings of Triticum spelta (spelt) cultivation in Europe".
  10. Jump up^ Nesbitt, Mark (2001). "Wheat evolution: integrating archaeological and biological evidence" (PDF)..
  11. Jump up^ Parr RM, et al. (2002). "Contributions of calcium and other dietary components to global variations in bone mineral density in young adults" (pdf).

 

 

SPELT:

 

Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Monocotyledons
(unranked): Commelinids
Order: Poales
Family: Poaceae
Genus: Triticum
Species: T. spelta[1]

Edited by Black Duke 008, 02 November 2015 - 01:50 AM.

 

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

 


Black2thedGrin #69 Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:21 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 12671 battles
  • 228
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014
"They've got us surrounded again, the poor bastards." — Creighton Abrams

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein

The human race is unimportant. It is the self that must not be betrayed."

"I suppose one could say that Hitler didn't betray his self."

"You are right. He did not. But millions of Germans did betray their selves. That was the tragedy. Not that one man had the courage to be evil. But that millions had not the courage to be good.
John Fowles, The Magus

DamnGunner #70 Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:13 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 22795 battles
  • 6,042
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013


Sqn Ldr B #71 Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 6141 battles
  • 18,352
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 02 November 2015 - 01:44 AM, said:

 

Spelt (Triticum spelta), also known as dinkel wheat,[2] or hulled wheat,[2] is a species of wheat cultivated since 5000 BCE.

Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europeand northern Spain and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (Triticum aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta. It is ahexaploid wheat, which means it has six sets of chromosomes.

Evolution

Spelt has a complex history. It is a wheat species known from genetic evidence to have originated as a naturally occurring hybrid of a domesticated tetraploid wheat such as emmer wheat and the wild goat-grass Aegilops tauschii. This hybridisation must have taken place in the Near East because this is where Ae. tauschii grows, and it must have taken place before the appearance of common or bread wheat(Triticum aestivum, a hexaploid free-threshing derivative of spelt) in the archaeological record about 8,000 years ago.

Genetic evidence shows that spelt wheat can also arise as the result of hybridisation of bread wheat and emmer wheat, although only at some date following the initial Aegilops–tetraploid wheat hybridisation. The much later appearance of spelt in Europe might thus be the result of a later, second, hybridisation between emmer and bread wheat. Recent DNA evidence supports an independent origin for European spelt through this hybridisation.[3] Whether spelt has two separate origins in Asia and Europe, or single origin in the Near East, is currently unresolved.[4][5]

 

Early history

In Greek mythology spelt (ΖΕΙΑ in Greek) was a gift to the Greeks from the Goddess Demeter, and was first used by the Greeks. Being a sailing people, the Greeks taught the rest of the world wherever they touched how to use, cultivate and honour spelt (ZEIA). The earliest archaeological evidence of spelt is from the fifth millennium BC inTranscaucasia, north-east of the Black Sea, though the most abundant and best-documented archaeological evidence of spelt is in Europe.[6] Remains of spelt have been found in some later Neolithic sites (2500–1700 BC) in Central Europe.[6][7] During the Bronze Age, spelt spread widely in central Europe. In the Iron Age (750–15 BC), spelt became a principal wheat species in southern Germany and Switzerland; by 500 BC, it was in common use in southern Britain.[6]

References to the cultivation of spelt wheat in Biblical times (see matzo), in ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia and in ancient Greece are incorrect and result from confusion with emmer wheat.[8]

 

Later history

In the Middle Ages, spelt was cultivated in parts of SwitzerlandTyrol, and Germany. Spelt was introduced to the United States in the 1890s. In the 20th century, spelt was replaced by bread wheat in almost all areas where it was still grown. The organic farming movement revived its popularity somewhat toward the end of the century, as spelt requires less fertilizer.

Nutrition

 
Spelt, without and with husks

Spelt contains about 57.9 percent carbohydrates (excluding 9.2 percent fibre), 17.0 percent protein and 3.0 percent fat, as well as dietary minerals and vitamins.[9] As it contains a moderate amount of gluten, it is suitable for some baking but that also makes it not suitable for people with coeliac disease.[10] In comparison to hard red winter wheat, spelt has a more soluble protein matrix characterized by a highergliadin:glutenin ratio.[11][12]

 

 

 

 

Products

Spelt flour is becoming more easily available. Spelt bread is sold in health food shops and some bakeries in an increasing variety of types of loaf, similar in colour to light rye breads but usually with a slightly sweet and nutty flavour. Biscuits, crackers, and pretzels are also produced, but are more likely to be found in a specialty bakery or health food store than in a regular grocer's shop. In Germany and Austria, spelt loaves and rolls (Dinkelbrot) are widely available in bakeries as is spelt flour in supermarkets. The unripe spelt grains are dried and eaten as Grünkern ("green grain").

Dutch Jenever makers distill with spelt.[13] Beer brewed from spelt is sometimes seen in Bavaria[14] and Belgium[15] and spelt is distilled to make vodka in Poland.

Literary references

While today spelt is a specialty crop, its popularity as a peasants' staple food of the past has been attested in literature. Although today's Russian-speaking children perhaps do not know exactly what polba (spelt) looks or tastes like,[16] they may recognize the word as something-or-other that can be made into porridge, having heard Pushkin's well-rhymed story in which the poor workman Balda asks his employer the priest "to feed me boiled spelt" ("есть же мне давай варёную полбу").[17] In Horace's Satire 2.6 (late 31 – 30 B.C.), which ends with the story of the Country Mouse and the City Mouse, the country mouse eats spelt at dinner while serving his city guest finer foods.

In The Divine Comedy of Dante AlighieriPietro della Vigna appears as a suicide in Circle VII, ring ii, Canto XIII of the Inferno. Pietro describes the fate awaiting souls guilty of suicide to Dante the Pilgrim and Virgil. According to Pietro, the soul of the suicide grows into a wild tree and is tormented by harpies that feast upon its leaves. Pietro likens the initial growth and transformation of the soul of the suicide to the germination of a grain of spelt (Inferno XIII, 94–102).

Spelt is also mentioned in the Bible. The seventh plague in Egypt reported in Exodus, chapter 9 was said not to have damaged the harvest of wheat and spelt, as these were "late crops".[18] Ezekiel 4:9 says: "Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof ...", though as noted above this is presumably a mistranslation and should be "emmer". It is mentioned again in Isaiah 28:25: "...and put in the wheat in rows and the barley in the appointed place and the spelt in the border thereof?"

 

See also

 

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 02 November 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

References

 

Footnotes

 

  1.  "The Plant List".
  2. Jump up to:a b "USDA GRIN Taxonomy".
  3. Jump up^ Blatter RH, Jacomet S, Schlumbaum A (2004). "About the origin of European spelt (Triticum spelta L.): allelic differentiation of the HMW Glutenin B1-1 and A1-2 subunit genes.". PubMed. Retrieved February 14, 2006.
  4. Jump up^ Blatter, R.H.; et al. (2004). "About the origin of European spelt (Triticum spelta L.): allelic differentiation of the HMW Glutenin B1-1 and A1-2 subunit genes".
  5. Jump up^ Ehsanzadeh, Parviz (1999). "Agronomic and Growth Characteristics of Spring Spelt Compared to Common Wheat" (pdf).
  6. Jump up to:a b c Cubadda, Raimondo and Marconi, Emanuele (2002). "Spelt Wheat in Pseudocereals and less Common cereals: Grain Properties and utilization Potential (eds. Belton, Peter S.; Taylor, John R.N.)".
  7.  
  8.  Comparative investigations of gluten proteins from different wheat species, Wieser H., 2010.Accessed: November 01, 2010.
  9.  
  10. Bibliography
  11.  
  12. Padulosi, Stefano, Karl Hammer and J. Heller (1996). Hulled Wheats. Promoting the conservation and use of underutilized and neglected crops. 4. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Hulled Wheats 21–22 July 1995, Castelvecchio Pascoli, Tuscany, Italy.
  13. Zohary, Daniel and Maria Hopf (2000). Domestication of Plants in the Old World. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN ookSources/0-19-850356-3" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background: none;" title="Special:BookSources/0-19-850356-3">0-19-850356-3.

External links:

 

  1. Jump up^ Schober, T. J., Bean, S. R., & Kuhn, M. (2006). "Gluten proteins from spelt (Triticum aestivum ssp. spelta) cultivars: A rheological and size-exclusion high-performance liquid chromatography study." (pdf)Journal of Cereal Science, 44 (2): 161–173. Retrieved2013-11-21.
  2. Jump up^ Kohajdová, Z., & Karovičová, J. (2008). "Nutritional value and baking applications of spelt wheat." (pdf)Acta Sci. Pol., Technol. Aliment 7 (3): 5–14. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
  3. Jump up^ John N. Peragine (30 Nov 2010). The Complete Guide to Growing Your Own Hops, Malts, and Brewing Herbs. Atlantic Publishing Company. p. 128. Retrieved 1 September2012.
  4. Jump up^ Dinkelbier, German Beer Institute, URL accessed Nov 2009
  5. Jump up^ Den Mulder, beer from Huisbrouwerij Den Tseut in Oosteeklo, URL accessed Sept 2013
  6. Jump up^ Кристина Смирнова (24 March 2009). "Что такое полба?"Shkolazhizni.ru.
  7. Jump up^ "Александр Сергеевич Пушкин. Сказка о попе и о работнике его Балде"lib.ru.
  8. Jump up^ Exodus 9:31
  9. Jump up^ Akeret, Ö. (2005). "Plant remains from a Bell Beaker site in Switzerland, and the beginnings of Triticum spelta (spelt) cultivation in Europe".
  10. Jump up^ Nesbitt, Mark (2001). "Wheat evolution: integrating archaeological and biological evidence" (PDF)..
  11. Jump up^ Parr RM, et al. (2002). "Contributions of calcium and other dietary components to global variations in bone mineral density in young adults" (pdf).

 

 

SPELT:

 

Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Monocotyledons
(unranked): Commelinids
Order: Poales
Family: Poaceae
Genus: Triticum
Species: T. spelta[1]

 

Because I'm really going to believe a copy-paste from Wikipedia, that offers nothing as to spelt's status as the past tense of spell, over the dictionary definition from the Cambridge English Dictionary. At no point did I deny spelt was a plant, so your above posts were pointless and proved nothing. 

Edited by Sqn Ldr B, 02 November 2015 - 05:05 PM.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas


MtOMajorCat0311 #72 Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 18452 battles
  • 838
  • [MTO]
  • Member since:
    03-13-2014

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

 

Famous Oxymorons: 

 

  • We are not anticipating any emergencies. 
  • It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.
  • Act natural. 
  • This report is filled with omissions.
  • I can't remember having a more memorable time. 
  • No one goes to that restaurant anymore 
    --it's always too crowded. 
  • By definition, one divided by zero is undefined

Edited by MtOMajorCat0311, 02 November 2015 - 05:29 PM.


It is in vain that you think that victory can be achieved by using "people's meat." Victory is achieved through the art of combat. War is waged with skill, not with people's lives.

—Order of G. K. Zhukov to I. G. Zakharkin on 7 March 1942
 
 
 
 

WidowMaker1711 #73 Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11929 battles
  • 10,004
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
Liquor in the front, Poker in the rear.

For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


Black Duke 008 #74 Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:49 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25290 battles
  • 994
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 02 November 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

 

 

Because I'm really going to believe a copy-paste from Wikipedia, that offers nothing as to spelt's status as the past tense of spell, over the dictionary definition from the Cambridge English Dictionary. At no point did I deny spelt was a plant, so your above posts were pointless and proved nothing. 

 

So you can copy and paste from the Cambridge Dictionary?... :rolleyes: 

Perhaps you have another bias and studied at Cambridge?...

This might explain your terrible English language skills and a lack of a proper education...

Oxford has always been better in all regards. They also have been publishing dictionaries since 1884... :honoring:  versus Cambridge of 1995?... :harp:

Pointless and proved nothing? This is a description of 99% of all your topics and comments... :hiding:

I just need to ensure the Connoisseur of the English Language is pulled up and corrected for being wrong!... :bush: "CRITICALLED"...

 

spelt 2 Line breaks: spelt
Pronunciation: /spɛlt/ 
 

noun

[MASS NOUN]
An old kind of wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two narrow grains, not widely grown but favoured as a health food. Compare with einkornemmer.
  • Triticum spelta, family Gramineae

Origin

Late Old English, from Old Saxon spelta. The word was rare until the 16th century, when it was readopted from Middle Dutch.

Definition of spelt in:

 

http://www.oxforddic...n/english/spelt


 

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

 


Sqn Ldr B #75 Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 6141 battles
  • 18,352
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 02 November 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

 

So you can copy and paste from the Cambridge Dictionary?... :rolleyes: 

Perhaps you have another bias and studied at Cambridge?...

This might explain your terrible English language skills and a lack of a proper education...

Oxford has always been better in all regards. They also have been publishing dictionaries since 1884... :honoring:  versus Cambridge of 1995?... :harp:

Pointless and proved nothing? This is a description of 99% of all your topics and comments... :hiding:

I just need to ensure the Connoisseur of the English Language is pulled up and corrected for being wrong!... :bush: "CRITICALLED"...

 

spelt 2 Line breaks: spelt
Pronunciation: /spɛlt/ 
 

noun

[MASS NOUN]
An old kind of wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two narrow grains, not widely grown but favoured as a health food. Compare with einkornemmer.
  • Triticum spelta, family Gramineae

Origin

Late Old English, from Old Saxon spelta. The word was rare until the 16th century, when it was readopted from Middle Dutch.

Definition of spelt in:

 

http://www.oxforddic...n/english/spelt

 

Okay then, from the Oxford English Dictionary if it satisfies you:

spell 1

Line breaks: spell
Pronunciation: /spɛl/ 
 

verb (past and past participle spelled or chiefly British spelt)

 
Wait, what was that?

(past and past participle ... chiefly British spelt)


"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas


Sqn Ldr B #76 Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 6141 battles
  • 18,352
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014
I don't expect a reply, don't hurt yourself trying.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas


CapnLeftHook #77 Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:11 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15752 battles
  • 876
  • [ZF]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 02 November 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

I don't expect a reply, don't hurt yourself trying.

 

My new favourite quote from history.

[ZF] 


Black Duke 008 #78 Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:06 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25290 battles
  • 994
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 02 November 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

I don't expect a reply, don't hurt yourself trying.

 

Actually my eyes are still rolling at your logic... :rolleyes:

"CRITICALLED"... I could not find this word in either the Cambridge or Oxford dictionaries... :hiding:

 

Please enlighten me of your made up word... Connoisseur of the English Language ...  :popcorn:

 

 


 

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

 


Sqn Ldr B #79 Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 6141 battles
  • 18,352
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 03 November 2015 - 02:06 AM, said:

 

Actually my eyes are still rolling at your logic... :rolleyes:

"CRITICALLED"... I could not find this word in either the Cambridge or Oxford dictionaries... :hiding:

 

Please enlighten me of your made up word... Connoisseur of the English Language ...  :popcorn:

 

 

 

As I thought you've admitted your idiocy on the past tense of 'spell'. So we're getting somewhere.

 

As for 'criticalled'. Yes I made up a word where none was suitable. Your point here being? Every word was made up at some point, until it became widespread enough to make it into the dictionary. 


"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas


Black Duke 008 #80 Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25290 battles
  • 994
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 03 November 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

 

As I thought you've admitted your idiocy on the past tense of 'spell'. So we're getting somewhere.

 

As for 'criticalled'. Yes I made up a word where none was suitable. Your point here being? Every word was made up at some point, until it became widespread enough to make it into the dictionary. 

 


 

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

 





3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users