Jump to content


Best WW2 Innovation?

innovation innvation

  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

ChopperGreg VGC #41 Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 4712 battles
  • 669
  • Member since:
    08-24-2013

View PostXInfamous W0lfx, on 17 September 2015 - 03:53 AM, said:

WWII revolutionized warfare beyond belief. America taking it to a whole new level thanks to their uranium depleted shells which is the only shell capable of penetrating an Abrams head on and even then it struggles at times.

 

 

Actually, Germany was the first nation to use uranium for armor piercing ammunition, because their stocks of tungsten were so low.



Matthew J35U5 #42 Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14028 battles
  • 12,033
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    09-09-2013

View PostChopperGreg VGC, on 17 September 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

 

 

Actually, Germany was the first nation to use uranium for armor piercing ammunition, because their stocks of tungsten were so low.

I've noticed that I am very open to believing ridiculous things about Germany, so I'd like if you could give me some kind of source for that because if it was said about anyone else I would just assume that it was nonsense. If you can't, no big deal, I'm just curious really. 


KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:


VonHeidler #43 Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 25124 battles
  • 116
  • Member since:
    05-15-2015

Vaccines existed prior to WW2

 

the french used in small numbers and the russians to a  greater extent, Assault rifles in WW1

https://en.wikipedia...Fedorov_Avtomat

 

http://www.dieselpun...-of-world-war-1

 

 



WidowMaker1711 #44 Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:36 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11406 battles
  • 9,888
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 17 September 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

I've noticed that I am very open to believing ridiculous things about Germany, so I'd like if you could give me some kind of source for that because if it was said about anyone else I would just assume that it was nonsense. If you can't, no big deal, I'm just curious really. 

 

Shh dont tell anyone but the Tiger was so called because the Germans blessed them with Tigers blood in a dark ritual.


For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


The Sexy Sergal #45 Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:54 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 25445 battles
  • 665
  • [TSTF]
  • Member since:
    08-07-2013
I think the best thing about WW2 isn't just Assult rifles it's Semi Auto rifles,  M1 in the 30's Gewher 43, SKS, SVT, these all led to the Sturmgewhers and AK's also the bigger rounds that came in the 30's and on, the Ma Duce .50, the high velocity 7.5's and the ability to mount guns people never thought could be tanks guns on tanks like the 8.8cm, some silly things came too but they helped, Piecrete- ice mixed with saw dust, KV-6 land battleship taught us hey...don't do that it's silly. Glass mines taught us mines can be made from anything but glass mines are mines that should never be used. 
http://twitch.tv/bamwaffle  come follow and enjoy my random antics and adventures!

Nocturnal814 #46 Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 16690 battles
  • 9,952
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 17 September 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

 

Shh dont tell anyone but the Tiger was so called because the Germans blessed them with Tigers blood in a dark ritual.

 

knowing hitler's (and himmler's) interest in the occult, that is actually a possibility (though unlikely)

something, something, something, dark side...

Nocturnal814 #47 Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 16690 battles
  • 9,952
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013

View PostWAFFLESSXXX007, on 17 September 2015 - 08:54 PM, said:

I think the best thing about WW2 isn't just Assult rifles it's Semi Auto rifles,  M1 in the 30's Gewher 43, SKS, SVT, these all led to the Sturmgewhers and AK's also the bigger rounds that came in the 30's and on, the Ma Duce .50, the high velocity 7.5's and the ability to mount guns people never thought could be tanks guns on tanks like the 8.8cm, some silly things came too but they helped, Piecrete- ice mixed with saw dust, KV-6 land battleship taught us hey...don't do that it's silly. Glass mines taught us mines can be made from anything but glass mines are mines that should never be used. 

 

the semi auto rifles were mostly pretty war inventions...the ma deuce was pretty war (1918 is memory serves)

something, something, something, dark side...

Matthew J35U5 #48 Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14028 battles
  • 12,033
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    09-09-2013
Assault rifles also predate WWII, Germany just invented a catchy name for them. 

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:


Sqn Ldr B #49 Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 6140 battles
  • 18,352
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 18 September 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

Assault rifles also predate WWII, Germany just invented a catchy name for them. 

 

Sturmgewehr, not very catchy if I'm honest.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas


Nocturnal814 #50 Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 16690 battles
  • 9,952
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 18 September 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

 

Sturmgewehr, not very catchy if I'm honest.

 

it must be. The name has stuck for 70 years now...

something, something, something, dark side...

NSW Mntd Rifles #51 Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 36838 battles
  • 589
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

View PostXxDAFFYxxDUCKxX, on 12 September 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

Most benign: Penicillin, because saving lives=gud.

Most uncertain: Nuclear energy, if used responsibly, can provide the world with (relatively) cheap power, but if used incorrectly, well, I need not go further.

Penicillin would be a valid entry on the list if World War II had started in 1928.



NSW Mntd Rifles #52 Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:29 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 36838 battles
  • 589
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014
Has anyone mentioned Zyklon B? For years after the war it was used to fumigate ships.

ChopperGreg VGC #53 Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 4712 battles
  • 669
  • Member since:
    08-24-2013

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 17 September 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

I've noticed that I am very open to believing ridiculous things about Germany, so I'd like if you could give me some kind of source for that because if it was said about anyone else I would just assume that it was nonsense. If you can't, no big deal, I'm just curious really.

 

 

Inside the Third Reich - Albert Speer, as Armaments Minister notes that since the German scientest working on their atomic bomb was not making much progress and the need for anti-tank shells was great, so he authorized the released of some of the stockpiled uranium for the production of anti-tank shells as German supplies of tungsten was critical.



Matthew J35U5 #54 Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:21 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14028 battles
  • 12,033
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    09-09-2013

View PostChopperGreg VGC, on 19 September 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

 

 

Inside the Third Reich - Albert Speer, as Armaments Minister notes that since the German scientest working on their atomic bomb was not making much progress and the need for anti-tank shells was great, so he authorized the released of some of the stockpiled uranium for the production of anti-tank shells as German supplies of tungsten was critical.

Thanks. :)


KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:


AngryL0AF #55 Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:16 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 24153 battles
  • 643
  • [10SR]
  • Member since:
    04-18-2014

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 18 September 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

 

Sturmgewehr, not very catchy if I'm honest.

 

Try shouting it!

 

Someone had posted earlier about logistics and I would second that. The massive amount of manpower and munitions moved was amazing. The world became a lot smaller ( relatively, the jet engine and people experience away from their homes set the stage for a mass increase in post war travel.) the Autobahn which the American interstate is based on (also can we find a short rope and a long drop for whoever decided roundabouts where a good idea.)

 

command and Communication too



AngryL0AF #56 Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 24153 battles
  • 643
  • [10SR]
  • Member since:
    04-18-2014

Ugh, typing on my iPad.

 

Advances in radar and radio combined with ease of transport, and I suppose a multinational force also may have impacted international relationships. One may see the post-war/early Cold War as a distinct change in Anglo-American relations. Or really anything-American relations after the interwar isolationism.



NSW Mntd Rifles #57 Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:22 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 36838 battles
  • 589
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014
I noticed that nobody has mentioned The United Nations.

DatTrollinSpy #58 Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:26 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 4788 battles
  • 2,450
  • [KMD]
  • Member since:
    07-20-2014
I don't think this has been mentioned, but the Germans invented the cruise missile (A.K.A the V-1 Buzz Bomb).  

"The Force will be with you, always." - Obi-wan Kenobi 

 

 

Member of the 232nd Kuromorimine Mechanized Division

 


DamnGunner #59 Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 22795 battles
  • 6,042
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013

Counter Battery Radar, and Sound Ranging Systems. Tank Traps. GM's Hydra-Matic Transmission.

Not the best innovations, but not the worst either...

The G.I. Bill?

    



WidowMaker1711 #60 Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:14 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11406 battles
  • 9,888
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostNSW Mntd Rifles, on 31 October 2015 - 05:22 AM, said:

I noticed that nobody has mentioned The United Nations.

 

Thats because it wasnt a new idea. The League of Nations existed and failed between 1920 and 1946


For Russ and the Allfather

 

 






Also tagged with innovation, innvation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users