much wow impressed M46 Patton M46 Patton

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

TangoLit #1 Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

I had no idea what to expect from the M46 Patton.  I searched the Forums to see what I could find about strengths, weaknesses, equipment, and so forth.  Honestly I did not find one useful thread (though I only went back 5 pages using a "M46" search... still, that ought to be enough).

This thing is a hill-fighting work-horse.  I love it and I don't even have all the upgrades yet (I did use some of my saved up Free XP to grab a few upgrades).  Still, here's my first game in it.

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

ArtyHarHar #2 Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18119 battles
Pop and shoot and fire on the run king.  I think it's accuracy is twice as good in third person as in sniper view :trollface:

TangoLit #3 Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostArtyHarHar, on 18 September 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Pop and shoot and fire on the run king.  I think it's accuracy is twice as good in third person as in sniper view :trollface:

Sounds like it's hidden strengths in the soft stats can shine in the right circumstances.  I'll keep at it.

ArtyHarHar #4 Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18119 battles
It was my favorite tank in beta.  But I didn't have a T54 then.  Like so many of my IX mediums though, I like them better then their big brothers. But that is a me problem; I need to figure out the why.

Pontiac Pat #5 Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 22793 battles
  • [47R]
I enjoy it.  I haven't had a game like that yet though.  It handles like a sports car.  The shoot and scoot game is dicey and is totally RNG dependent unless you pause long enough to aim in.  I do like the view range though.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

Jet Army #6 Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25699 battles
  • [STEIN]
I guess if your new to the game , then you were not around when the line was first out. speaking of xbox console version. Heck yes it a great medium, expellant dpm. The only real problem is it turret height , which is you stay moving is not a real problem. The Patton is a highly mobile medium plus with the last up grade you get a good gun.  yes very fun tank it is the type of tank when you add it to your garage, you never sell. Good luck all, now this dam game started locking up in the last few weeks I mean a lotta lock up when it never did before so my Patton tank is not getting the play it should.

TangoLit #7 Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

A little update... I have about 64k in XP since I upgraded to the 105mm (final upgrade) and I'm even more impressed with this tank now.  If anyone is reading this that is considering whether or not to get the M46 I have to say don't waste one more minute thinking about it.  This really is an exceptional tank... not just a good one.  I just had yet another "Ace Mastery" game with 5k damage and 2.3k assisted (two games ago I did 4.2k damage...it's consistent).  I was outspotting all the tier 10's... every one of them.  I was a good 50-75 meters in front of our Scout because he was getting spotted and I was not.

I've seen so many people describe the Patton as a "Jack of all trades, master of none" but I have to say the "master of none" part is really quite wrong.  The gun is admittedly a bit inaccurate so my ability to get shots on target with weak spots does suffer at sniper distance.  That said, it usually does hit on target and pen is typically just not an issue as long as you're paying attention to where you're aiming.  It's also one of the mediums that really does not need a Scout on the team.  In addition it has all the traits of an outstanding hill fighter (great gun depression).  I just don't see all of that as "a master of none".

Here's the set-up I've decided I like:

Sixth Sense, Camo, Muffled Shot, BiA, Silent Driving, Situational Awareness, Green Thumb, Recon, and Repairs.  I have not decided what I want to train next but the crew is ready for a new perk.

Small Repair, Small FAK, Auto Fire Ext (I do think it needs this)

Coated Optics, Vertical Stabilizer and Vents

Also I do have the tank painted with Camo treatments.

moonwhistle #8 Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34491 battles
I'm enjoying this tank way more than I'd anticipated. It's so flexible and comfortable to drive. Its sniping ability is seriously awful and I do find myself spamming apcr way more than I'd like. Most of the things I'm shooting at need more than 220 pen. So far I'm not finding it any worse that the supposedly OP T-54.

moonwhistle #9 Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34491 battles

View PostTangoLit, on 21 September 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

A little update... I have about 64k in XP since I upgraded to the 105mm (final upgrade) and I'm even more impressed with this tank now.  If anyone is reading this that is considering whether or not to get the M46 I have to say don't waste one more minute thinking about it.  This really is an exceptional tank... not just a good one.  I just had yet another "Ace Mastery" game with 5k damage and 2.3k assisted (two games ago I did 4.2k damage...it's consistent).  I was outspotting all the tier 10's... every one of them.  I was a good 50-75 meters in front of our Scout because he was getting spotted and I was not.

I've seen so many people describe the Patton as a "Jack of all trades, master of none" but I have to say the "master of none" part is really quite wrong.  The gun is admittedly a bit inaccurate so my ability to get shots on target with weak spots does suffer at sniper distance.  That said, it usually does hit on target and pen is typically just not an issue as long as you're paying attention to where you're aiming.  It's also one of the mediums that really does not need a Scout on the team.  In addition it has all the traits of an outstanding hill fighter (great gun depression).  I just don't see all of that as "a master of none".

Here's the set-up I've decided I like:

Sixth Sense, Camo, Muffled Shot, BiA, Silent Driving, Situational Awareness, Green Thumb, Recon, and Repairs.  I have not decided what I want to train next but the crew is ready for a new perk.

Small Repair, Small FAK, Auto Fire Ext (I do think it needs this)

Coated Optics, Vertical Stabilizer and Vents

Also I do have the tank painted with Camo treatments.

I fully agree with most of this except for the vents part. Rammer all day over vents. I almost never go on fire either. Do you really think that things like muffled shot, silent driving and green thumb are worth it? Its camo is only ok to start with. I picked clutch braking for my 6th skill which is perhaps a bit pointless.

TangoLit #10 Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

View Postmoonwhistle, on 22 September 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

I'm enjoying this tank way more than I'd anticipated. It's so flexible and comfortable to drive. Its sniping ability is seriously awful and I do find myself spamming apcr way more than I'd like. Most of the things I'm shooting at need more than 220 pen. So far I'm not finding it any worse that the supposedly OP T-54.

So far I've enjoyed the M46 far more than the experience I'm having with the M48.  On the other hand I don't have the last gun yet so we'll see.  The biggest difference is that in practice the M48 simply can not do any scouting whereas the M46 was quite good at it.  I'm not sure what I think of the M48 yet... for the most part it seems like a defenseless hunk of crap that every OpFor loves to pick on.  No one, and I mean no one hesitates to crush on an M48.  It's odd.  They'll sacrifice their own tank to charge me.  I'm baffled.

moonwhistle #11 Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34491 battles

View PostTangoLit, on 22 September 2015 - 10:08 PM, said:

So far I've enjoyed the M46 far more than the experience I'm having with the M48.  On the other hand I don't have the last gun yet so we'll see.  The biggest difference is that in practice the M48 simply can not do any scouting whereas the M46 was quite good at it.  I'm not sure what I think of the M48 yet... for the most part it seems like a defenseless hunk of crap that every OpFor loves to pick on.  No one, and I mean no one hesitates to crush on an M48.  It's odd.  They'll sacrifice their own tank to charge me.  I'm baffled.

I'll probably unlock the M48 and buy it for completeness sake at discount, no plans to play it though. I hate being yolo'd so very much.

Edited by moonwhistle, 22 September 2015 - 10:22 PM.

TangoLit #12 Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

View Postmoonwhistle, on 22 September 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

I fully agree with most of this except for the vents part. Rammer all day over vents. I almost never go on fire either.

I find the vents vs. rammer thing is an often discussed topic.  Seems like the two sides of the fence rarely agree.  As for fires, I had enough that I found the Premium extinguisher was a good idea... ymmv.

View Postmoonwhistle, on 22 September 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Do you really think that things like muffled shot, silent driving and green thumb are worth it? Its camo is only ok to start with. I picked clutch braking for my 6th skill which is perhaps a bit pointless.

Depends on how you'll use it.  If you're going to be close all the time then what's the point, right?  But if you want to abuse the stealth then heck yea I think they're worth it.  The set-up that I have (including vents) is set up to maximize stealth and it works very well... like much better than I've seen with many others.  I have the same set-up on the M48 and it's really not working at all.  The M48 can be seen from behind a mountain for some reason.

moonwhistle #13 Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34491 battles

View PostTangoLit, on 22 September 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

I find the vents vs. rammer thing is an often discussed topic.  Seems like the two sides of the fence rarely agree.  As for fires, I had enough that I found the Premium extinguisher was a good idea... ymmv.

Depends on how you'll use it.  If you're going to be close all the time then what's the point, right?  But if you want to abuse the stealth then heck yea I think they're worth it.  The set-up that I have (including vents) is set up to maximize stealth and it works very well... like much better than I've seen with many others.  I have the same set-up on the M48 and it's really not working at all.  The M48 can be seen from behind a mountain for some reason.

Well I certainly prefer keeping my distance in mediums and abusing view range but there aren't enough maps where it works for me as a tactic. Also, the long range sniping ability of the patton is some of the worst in any medium. It's a potato gun! It certainly would help with spotting though.

TangoLit #14 Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

View Postmoonwhistle, on 22 September 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

I'll probably unlock the M48 and buy it for completeness sake at discount, no plans to play it though. I hate being yolo'd so very much.

Quick update on the M48... I have played the fully upgraded 105mm a bit now so I'm getting the hang of this thing.  It can spot, but not "scout" (since it gets spotted if your antennae are showing no matter what perks/skills you're using... just awful).  However, as much as I don't fully understand the tank, it is turning out to be pretty darn good.  At this point I only have 32 games in it and I have already earned two Top Guns and a Devastator.  Considering I only have one Top Gun in all of my other tier 10's combined, I'd say there's something to this tank (for me anyway).  I did switch out Vents since it was clearly not doing enough for the tank's camo.  The obvious choice "Rammer" is now in place.

As for the yolo issue, it continues.  I'm adjusting by not being the first to arrive at some forward (key) locations anymore.  It's a little irritating since those are key to winning, but I just can't give up the ghost that quickly anymore.

TangoLit #15 Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

View Postmoonwhistle, on 22 September 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Make that 3 Top Guns in 33 games.  Yea, I may be getting along better with the M48 better than I thought (especially with the top 105mm). Catch you later.

Krystian 13th #16 Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25835 battles
  • [KO]

TangoLit #17 Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29031 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostKRYST1AN PL, on 27 September 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

gg KRYST1AN PL... outstanding tank too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users