Which WWII tank would survive the longest on a modern battlefield?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

Uranprojekt #121 Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostJAG THE GEMINI, on 21 January 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

That might be the reason why some Jagdtigers were equipped with the 8.8 cm gun.

I understand what you mean but I shall repeat myself again too.

While the Jagdtiger, Panther and Tiger2 all had Problems, they were at least up to 50% ready and made it in generell to the battlefield.

But the Maus couldnt´even drive hundres of meters due to the tracks braking down under the enourmes weight and the T54 proto was cancelled by the sovjets since they found it insufficient.

So If you go with either the Maus or T54 proto, you will never even make it to the battlefield in generell unless the fight is directly in front of your tank production building!

In January 1945, the 653rd schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung moved towards Boppard am Rhine, a road march of 90km, with their 16 Jagdtigers. By the time the 653rd had arrived at their destination, 10 of the Jagdtigers had broken down. That's right, 10 out of 16 Jagdtigers broke down during a 90km road march.

In March 1945, 20 Jagdtigers of the 512th schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung, the only Jagdtigers the 512th had at the time, were supposed to take part in the Battle of Remagen. Only 9 of them actually made it, the other 11 broke down.

That's 36 Jagdtigers in total and 21 of them broke down before they'd reached the combat zone for which they were destined. Germany only built a maximum of 88 Jagdtigers so when 36 are lost due to break downs alone in two separate months with more being lost to break downs between March and April, I wouldn't exactly call that "50% ready" or "making it to the battlefield in general".

As a last point of note, I find it funny that you mention the Maus being too heavy for its tracks because the exact same thing can be said for both the Jagdtiger and the Tiger II.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

WidowMaker1711 #122 Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11837 battles
  • [BNKR]
Not sure if the JagdTiger counts here. Carius called it a monstrosity. The mounting brackets would sheer if it travelled without locking the barrel down (something that had to be done by leaving the tank) it had very very poor gun arc meaning the vehicle needed aiming at the enemy and because of this and poor quality drivers it went through transmissions and final drives rapidly. And a lack of Prime Movers and both air and ground superiority of the allies at this time pretty much made it a very hard vehicle to operate.

For Russ and the Allfather

KanonFyodor #123 Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5065 battles
Soviet t-28 or T-26. Assuming that it's one of the 30-50% that wasn't operational it would be ignored as the modern forces moved on by. Afterwards you could get out and surrender, leaving the tank completely undamaged until the conflict ends. 100% survival!

Sqn Ldr B #124 Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostKanonFyodor, on 05 February 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

Soviet t-28 or T-26. Assuming that it's one of the 30-50% that wasn't operational it would be ignored as the modern forces moved on by. Afterwards you could get out and surrender, leaving the tank completely undamaged until the conflict ends. 100% survival!

Fair enough. :teethhappy:

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users