Marks of Excellence Explained

• Please log in to reply
562 replies to this topic

Niko Power WGA #1 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 343 battles
  • [WGL-A]

Marks of Excellence are essentially Mastery badges that look at player damage + assist damage instead of experience. Like Mastery Badges, they can only be awarded if a player achieves more damage per game than a percentage of the entire player base. The server takes the average damage over the past 14 days from all players who have played that tank and compares it against the player’s average damage after each battle. 

What does all this mean?  The damage and assist damage you earn after each battle will be compared against the average for that tank across ALL battles in the past 14 days.  If your average is higher the required percentage of the global average, you’ll earn a mark! 

Let’s say the top damage + assist damage for the IS-6 per match is 7000 points of damage.  To get the first mark, you need higher than 65% of that, which is 4500.  85% is 5950 and 95% is 6650.  Remember it’s the average of damage dealt + assist damage!

Players who have already earned a Mark of Excellence can now track their progress towards the next one with the addition of progress percentages.

The progress will be shown in the Stats Log, per vehicle: "Your current ratio is higher than the ratio of X% of players."

At the moment, only players that have already earned a Mark of Excellence will be able to see the progress towards the next one. Players without a Mark on any tank will not be able to see their percentage while they try to earn the first Mark.  This will be changed in a future update to allow all players to view their progress percentage even if they do not currently own a Mark.

The Details:
  • Awarded per tank.
  • Tier V tanks or higher only.
  • Minimum of one battle to be eligible to earn a mark.
  • Once a player earns a mark, they will always have it.
  • Players may see marks awarded again in a battle. This works similarly to Mastery badges.
  • Stats tab displays highest Mark(s) and current percentage for that tank if you’ve earned a Mark.  Support for players who are trying to earn their first mark will be added soon!

Historically, gun marks were typically earned only by tank aces, so earning them in World of Tanks is deliberately demanding. To earn the first of three marks for a specific tank, you'll have to break into the top 35% of players using it; for the second and third tiers you'll need to rank in the top 15% and 5% respectively.

!!UPDATE!! For even more detailed information on MOE, please this link: MaxChaos24 Explains!

animatethant #2 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58474 battles

Great info!

That would be awesome if WGA could add info before reaching MoE 1 saying something like "git gud skreb" as an incentive to play better/more ... let's have a little humor in WoT ...

WrathofAchilles #3 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20276 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostNiko Power WGA, on 07 October 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Marks of Excellence are essentially Mastery badges that look at player damage + assist damage instead of experience. Like Mastery Badges, they can only be awarded if a player achieves more damage per game than a percentage of the entire player base. The server takes the average damage over the past 14 days from all players who have played that tank and compares it against the player’s average damage after each battle. 

What does all this mean?  The damage and assist damage you earn after each battle will be compared against the average for that tank across ALL battles in the past 14 days.  If your average is higher the required percentage of the global average, you’ll earn a mark! 

Let’s say the top damage + assist damage for the IS-6 per match is 7000 points of damage.  To get the first mark, you need higher than 65% of that, which is 4500.  85% is 5950 and 95% is 6650.  Remember it’s the average of damage dealt + assist damage!

Players who have already earned a Mark of Excellence can now track their progress towards the next one with the addition of progress percentages.

The progress will be shown in the Stats Log, per vehicle: "Your current ratio is higher than the ratio of X% of players."

At the moment, only players that have already earned a Mark of Excellence will be able to see the progress towards the next one. Players without a Mark on any tank will not be able to see their percentage while they try to earn the first Mark.  This will be changed in a future update to allow all players to view their progress percentage even if they do not currently own a Mark.

The Details:
  • Awarded per tank.
  • Players may see marks awarded again in a battle. This works similarly to Mastery badges.
  • Stats tab displays highest Mark(s) and current percentage for that tank if you’ve earned a Mark.  Support for players who are trying to earn their first mark will be added soon!

Query...

Since you said a minimum of one battle is required to be eligible. Does this mean, theoretically, someone could buy a new tank, take it into battle and let's say they do AMAZING in it, (Rad or a Pool's), with 8-10K damage... they could earn one or more MoE because their average is so high compared to other players who have more games but lower averages?

Or in practice to you need X amount of battles before one appears?

I ask because there are conflicting reports on this. It took me 50ish battles to earn 1 MoE on a Hydra, (example), but it took me 1 battle in my Leo 1, (after I hadn't played in a very long time).

Edited by WrathofAchilles, 07 October 2015 - 10:32 PM.

The Senpai of Overwhelming Despair and Tragedy

232nd Kuromorimine Mechanized Division [KMD] Commanding Officer

"Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance."

Smaugone1 #4 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14390 battles
You have made a lot of people happy with this info. Some mad as well, I imagine. +1
REMEMBER-It's just a game.

ExaminedGORE #5 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 3924 battles
  • [SKREB]

Now if only people could see this thread, before they create one about MoE.

*pinned*

Nah, not gonna happen anyway.

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 08 October 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

Query...

Since you said a minimum of one battle is required to be eligible. Does this mean, theoretically, someone could buy a new tank, take it into battle and let's say they do AMAZING in it, (Rad or a Pool's), with 8-10K damage... they could earn one or more MoE because their average is so high compared to other players who have more games but lower averages?

How I understand it, that tank is eligible to earn MoE when the requirement of minimum one battle played is completed. This being said, you wouldn't be able to earn one on first battle, but the one after.

Check out my DeviantArt. World of Tanks fanarts || Fractals || My childhood sketchs  : )  

"I can't even be bothered to reply anymore the tinfoil hat is to thick to get through" ~ A dapper kiwi, 05 October 2015

LOSTVENGENCE96 #6 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

Major

• Banned
  • 19827 battles
That WG account is sickening. With is someone supposed to do with 19.8 million gold? Lol.

I'd ask a question, but odds of getting a response doesn't ever seem high.

AdmrHackett #7 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16744 battles

View PostExaminedGORE, on 07 October 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

Now if only people could see this thread, before they create one about MoE.

*pinned*

Nah, not gonna happen anyway.

How I understand it, that tank is eglible to earn MoE when the requirement of minimum one battle played is completed. This being said, you wouldn't be able to earn one on first battle, but the one after.

I got my 1st mark on my Deathstar after my 1st match in it since MoEs started recording.

ExaminedGORE #8 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 3924 battles
  • [SKREB]

View PostAdmrHackett, on 08 October 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

I got my 1st mark on my Deathstar after my 1st match in it since MoEs started recording.

Well then : P Maybe they were retroactive? xD 

Check out my DeviantArt. World of Tanks fanarts || Fractals || My childhood sketchs  : )  

"I can't even be bothered to reply anymore the tinfoil hat is to thick to get through" ~ A dapper kiwi, 05 October 2015

rhymeswithN00bs #9 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14042 battles
  • [GIRLS]
So the very best IS-6 player in the universe's average is used to calculate 65%, 85%, and 95%? Weird.

XOXO, Noobius Y

WGWPAIN #10 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:45 PM

Creative Dir./Exec. Producer

• Administrator
  • 96 battles
  • [WGW]
We started recording in an earlier version before the marks were displayed.
See you on the battlefield.

PAINGOD

Kloemn #11 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14564 battles
My question is: If a new tank is released does the first person to complete a game in it automatically recieve 3 marks which they get to keep forever even if they're a completely subpar player in that tank?

WrathofAchilles #12 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20276 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostWGWPAIN, on 07 October 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

We started recording in an earlier version before the marks were displayed.

Do you mean before we started seeing them in our AARs post game they started being recorded? Or did you mean before we started seeing them on our tank barrels?

View PostKloemn, on 07 October 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

My question is: If a new tank is released does the first person to complete a game in it automatically recieve 3 marks which they get to keep forever even if they're a completely subpar player in that tank?

That's actually a very good question...

The Senpai of Overwhelming Despair and Tragedy

232nd Kuromorimine Mechanized Division [KMD] Commanding Officer

"Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance."

LOSTVENGENCE96 #13 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

Major

• Banned
  • 19827 battles

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 07 October 2015 - 06:47 PM, said:

Do you mean before we started seeing them in our AARs post game they started being recorded? Or did you mean before we started seeing them on our tank barrels?

Before the update we knew about them. 

ExaminedGORE #14 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 3924 battles
  • [SKREB]

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 08 October 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

Yeah same question. I do remember WG adding MoE without the art. But if they were recorded before even adding the feature, then it would explain why some people earned them very fast after update.

WGWPAIN #15 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

• Administrator
  • 96 battles
  • [WGW]
I believe you are eligible on your 2nd battle.  RC Landon can you confirm?

PAINGOD

xBRx xTACTICSx #16 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:53 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35479 battles

View PostNiko Power WGA, on 07 October 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

The Details:
  • Awarded per tank.

Historically, gun marks were typically earned only by tank aces, so earning them in World of Tanks is deliberately demanding. To earn the first of three marks for a specific tank, you'll have to break into the top 35% of players using it; for the second and third tiers you'll need to rank in the top 15% and 5% respectively.

It would be nice if maybe in the next update u can add an actual figure. Considering its all being calculated i cant see it as much of a problem, but it would be nice to see 7k being the highest damage for the 14day spam and 4k is what you are currently averaging... The percent aisle is nice but we are always guessing what our average currently is.

WGWPAIN #17 Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:55 PM

• Administrator
  • 96 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostKloemn, on 07 October 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

No, it takes 14 days of data first.

PAINGOD

Pontiac Pat #18 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:03 PM

Major

• WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • [47R]

View PostNiko Power WGA, on 07 October 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

The damage and assist damage you earn after each battle will be compared against the average for that tank across ALL battles in the past 14 days.  If your average is higher the required percentage of the global average, you’ll earn a mark!

This part is confusing.  They state two VERY different things.  First, you say that you are comparing to an average.  Then you follow by saying you are comparing with a percentage of the best single player.  Average does not equal percentage of top.  (edit) I suppose you could say you are comparing against the top player's average.  That would make some sense, but if this is the case please adjust the wording to reflect accordingly. :)

If it is indeed a percentage of the bar set by the top then that means it is a linear progression, which is easier for us to track/anticipate.

A question here though - is there a minimum number of games required to count as the top player average for that tank?  If not, then someone who plays once and has a stellar game will wreck the curve for everyone else.  If there is a minimum to count for setting the bar, what is it?

Thanks for answering the questions. :)

Edited by Pontiac Pat, 07 October 2015 - 11:08 PM.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com

Pontiac Pat #19 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

Major

• WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • [47R]

View PostWGWPAIN, on 07 October 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

So, are you saying that nobody gets an MoE the first 14 days after a new tank is introduced?

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com

LOSTVENGENCE96 #20 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

Major

• Banned
  • 19827 battles

View PostWGWPAIN, on 07 October 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

Since you're here, is it possible for a tank that's been around a while, to not have the third mark? Ie is it possible for all tanks in a group (tortoise for example) to only have 0,1, or 2 marks? Or, they way math works, at least one person will always have a third mark?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users