Jump to content


Marks of Excellence Explained


  • Please log in to reply
562 replies to this topic

SloWRX #21 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:09 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 7441 battles
  • 324
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
If 1 game is minimum requirement, is there a threshold of games to play before it will begin to stop counting the oldest results?

In other words, if I played 50 terrible games in a tank while I was playing it stock, then fully upgrade and play fantastic for another 50 games, do all 100 games get counted? Or maybe my log resets if I don't use the tank for 15 days?

Aelgyn #22 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:10 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 11930 battles
  • 1,240
  • Member since:
    11-26-2014

Excellent explanation.

 

I finally figured out what that new feature about "tracking progress on MoE" was really about.

 

It would have been great if this information was contained in some popup box shown once I earned my first mark - "check the medal in the stats of this tank to track progress towards future MoE". With the bugs that were introduced in the stats page in the previous release, I thought developers don't even test that page anymore, much less add new useful information to it. More work needs to be done to make information more easy to discover by players.



Pontiac Pat #23 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:10 PM

    Major

  • WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • 4,736
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    08-11-2014

View PostLOSTVENGENCE96, on 07 October 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

Since you're here, is it possible for a tank that's been around a while, to not have the third mark? Ie is it possible for all tanks in a group (tortoise for example) to only have 0,1, or 2 marks? Or, they way math works, at least one person will always have a third mark?

 

That depends which 'average' they are using.  If they are using the actual battle average of the top player in the last 14 days, then that bar could be higher than anyone has managed to raise their EMA (which is the average we are building each game to try to reach the threshold for the MoE).

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com


Brevokh #24 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:11 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 3860 battles
  • 1,303
  • [1CAD]
  • Member since:
    02-07-2014
Everything is based off this 14 day period, but when is this period? For me to have the most success I don't want to start trying at day 13/14... So when is the reset day of MoE and Mastery Badges?

LOSTVENGENCE96 #25 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

    Major

  • Banned
  • 19827 battles
  • 7,710
  • Member since:
    05-10-2015

View PostSpartan Cook, on 07 October 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

Everything is based off this 14 day period, but when is this period? For me to have the most success I don't want to start trying at day 13/14... So when is the reset day of MoE and Mastery Badges?

Seems to me, it'd be the last 14 days running. With no end or start. When tomorrow comes, battles that occurred 15 days ago drop off. 



Pontiac Pat #26 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:15 PM

    Major

  • WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • 4,736
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    08-11-2014

View PostSpartan Cook, on 07 October 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Everything is based off this 14 day period, but when is this period? For me to have the most success I don't want to start trying at day 13/14... So when is the reset day of MoE and Mastery Badges?

 

Good question.  The way I read it, it would recalculate the threshold every day at midnight of whatever time zone WG uses (probably Pacific).  This would mean you never have to worry about being at day 13/14.

Edited by Pontiac Pat, 07 October 2015 - 11:16 PM.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com


Pontiac Pat #27 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:15 PM

    Major

  • WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • 4,736
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    08-11-2014
ninja'd

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com


Pontiac Pat #28 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:24 PM

    Major

  • WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • 4,736
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    08-11-2014

View PostFur1ous One, on 07 October 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

If 1 game is minimum requirement, is there a threshold of games to play before it will begin to stop counting the oldest results?

In other words, if I played 50 terrible games in a tank while I was playing it stock, then fully upgrade and play fantastic for another 50 games, do all 100 games get counted?

 

If my calculations are correct the answer to this is:  No, there is no set number of games used.  However, it's not a 'normal' average, but an Exponential Moving Average.  What that means is that your most recent game will always have the greatest impact.  Essentially, every game drops off once it is used to adjust your current EM Average.

Edited by Pontiac Pat, 07 October 2015 - 11:26 PM.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com


DestroD #29 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:29 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 21513 battles
  • 234
  • [LIGHT]
  • Member since:
    02-05-2014

View PostPontiac Pat, on 07 October 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

 

So, are you saying that nobody gets an MoE the first 14 days after a new tank is introduced?

 

Can't be; I got my first MoE on the RU251 within a week.

 

D



WalkingTinCan #30 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:30 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 10634 battles
  • 2,667
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    11-09-2013

Does average damage+assistance total have any baring? (the 100 game average thing that everyone goes on about)

 

For example if the average total damage+assist for 100 games is 150,000 (1,500 per battle) and I consistently beat that average on a per game basis but don't have enough games to go over the 150,000 average total, does that matter?

 

MoE requirement: (1500 average damage+assist) x (100 games played) = 150,000 with 100 games

Individual performance: (1600 average damage+assist) x (50 games played) = 80,000 without 100 games played


**WARNING: This post contains Gluten.**

non-attorney spokesperson


LOSTVENGENCE96 #31 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

    Major

  • Banned
  • 19827 battles
  • 7,710
  • Member since:
    05-10-2015

View PostWalkingTinCan, on 07 October 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

Does average damage+assistance total have any baring? (the 100 game average thing that everyone goes on about)

 

For example if the average total damage+assist for 100 games is 150,000 (1,500 per battle) and I consistently beat that average on a per game basis but don't have enough games to go over the 150,000 average total, does that matter?

 

MoE requirement: (1500 average damage+assist) x (100 games played) = 150,000 with 100 games

Individual performance: (1600 average damage+assist) x (50 games played) = 80,000 without 100 games played

It's an average, not a total. Your % goes up and down every game. Its not based off the end total. 



Pontiac Pat #32 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:47 PM

    Major

  • WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • 4,736
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    08-11-2014

View PostDestroD, on 07 October 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

 

Can't be; I got my first MoE on the RU251 within a week.

 

D

 

Good to know. :)  So there is some default starting point then.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com


Rasta the rambo #33 Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:56 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 40284 battles
  • 393
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 07 October 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

 

Query...

Since you said a minimum of one battle is required to be eligible. Does this mean, theoretically, someone could buy a new tank, take it into battle and let's say they do AMAZING in it, (Rad or a Pool's), with 8-10K damage... they could earn one or more MoE because their average is so high compared to other players who have more games but lower averages?

 

Or in practice to you need X amount of battles before one appears?

I ask because there are conflicting reports on this. It took me 50ish battles to earn 1 MoE on a Hydra, (example), but it took me 1 battle in my Leo 1, (after I hadn't played in a very long time).

 

View PostWGWPAIN, on 07 October 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

I believe you are eligible on your 2nd battle.  RC Landon can you confirm?

 

View PostWGWPAIN, on 07 October 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

No, it takes 14 days of data first.

 

So... In theory I could: 

Buy a tank new and do an amazing first game in it

not play the tank for 13 days

play a second amazing game on day 14 and get 3 marks?

is that why some people say they get marks without doing much in that tank?... 

is there a minimum amount of games required?



MaxChaos24 #34 Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:04 AM

    Gameplay Expert

  • Administrator
  • 10628 battles
  • 14,801
  • [WGW]
  • Member since:
    09-15-2013

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 07 October 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

 

Query...

Since you said a minimum of one battle is required to be eligible. Does this mean, theoretically, someone could buy a new tank, take it into battle and let's say they do AMAZING in it, (Rad or a Pool's), with 8-10K damage... they could earn one or more MoE because their average is so high compared to other players who have more games but lower averages?

 

Or in practice to you need X amount of battles before one appears?

I ask because there are conflicting reports on this. It took me 50ish battles to earn 1 MoE on a Hydra, (example), but it took me 1 battle in my Leo 1, (after I hadn't played in a very long time).

 

MoE is based on an EMA (Exponential Moving Average) and is not a simple average. While only one battle is needed to be eligible, it won't be possible to earn it from a single battle. 

 

For the Leo, we were tracking the data before MoE's were added (several updates ago), so once you played a battle, it synced the data and displayed the MoE for where your current EMA was at. 



JoeDaFrogman #35 Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:07 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 16824 battles
  • 9,143
  • Member since:
    03-15-2014

View PostWGWPAIN, on 07 October 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

I believe you are eligible on your 2nd battle.  RC Landon can you confirm?

Ok... so question...

I played a tank 6 months ago and sold it.    The current 14 day player base average is say 5,000.    I buy the tank back and play 2 games, first with 5,000 damage and the second with 5200 for a combined of 5100 on my new 14 day period.   I should get 3 marks immediately after completing that second game, is that correct?



MaxChaos24 #36 Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:08 AM

    Gameplay Expert

  • Administrator
  • 10628 battles
  • 14,801
  • [WGW]
  • Member since:
    09-15-2013

View PostSpartan Cook, on 07 October 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

Everything is based off this 14 day period, but when is this period? For me to have the most success I don't want to start trying at day 13/14... So when is the reset day of MoE and Mastery Badges?

 

Everyday is based on the previous 14 days of data so the requirements for 65%, 85%, and 95% change daily. 



Pontiac Pat #37 Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:02 AM

    Major

  • WCL
  • 17958 battles
  • 4,736
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    08-11-2014

View PostMaxChaos24, on 07 October 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

 

MoE is based on an EMA (Exponential Moving Average) and is not a simple average. While only one battle is needed to be eligible, it won't be possible to earn it from a single battle. 

 

For the Leo, we were tracking the data before MoE's were added (several updates ago), so once you played a battle, it synced the data and displayed the MoE for where your current EMA was at. 

 

View PostMaxChaos24, on 07 October 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

 

Everyday is based on the previous 14 days of data so the requirements for 65%, 85%, and 95% change daily. 

 

Thanks for confirming those points.  It's all coming into focus - slowly but surely. :)

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send me a message.

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com


cmStone #38 Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 31186 battles
  • 141
  • [DP]
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

The way I interpret this is that my performance in a particular vehicle is not being compared the community that plays that particular vehicle, but to the single best performers' average In said vehicle.

 

 

ie.  I'm not doing better in a tank than say, 79.4% of all the people that play it, but I'm doing 79.4% as well as the single best guy/girl that drives it.


 Is this correct?


 


Triplicatur interitum

Light Safe


TocFanKe4 #39 Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:29 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 16589 battles
  • 16,694
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    03-16-2014
N00bs is right. You say global average in the explanation, but then say a percentage of the best player in that period. Which is it?

 

Skill is knowledge put into practice through the lens of ability.

I stream inconsistently and often with beer : https://www.twitch.tv/tocfanke4

Stream contains language that is inappropes. 


Kloemn #40 Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:37 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 14564 battles
  • 527
  • Member since:
    07-22-2014

View PostcmStone, on 08 October 2015 - 01:12 AM, said:

The way I interpret this is that my performance in a particular vehicle is not being compared the community that plays that particular vehicle, but to the single best performers' average In said vehicle.

 

 

ie.  I'm not doing better in a tank than say, 79.4% of all the people that play it, but I'm doing 79.4% as well as the single best guy/girl that drives it.


 Is this correct?


 

 

This is what I'm seeing, but to be honest I don't feel like I understand any of it any better than I did before this thread. :(

 

 





4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users