Marks of Excellence Explained

• Please log in to reply
580 replies to this topic

EchoC3 #561 Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:52 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20992 battles

Intresting.. whenever you reach 82%, you always fall in a stream of terrible matchups or teamed with clueless casuals, only to kick you back to the 70%'s. Been trying to three mark the Ravioli, thing feels like it's cursed :P. Reach 83%, enters a streak of city maps, matched in tier 10, or team is too dumb to make a move.. (SPECIALLY El Halluf..) Not always able to dish out the necessary damage, sad having to depend on the team for positive results.. why not a more individual manner? But well, as the folks said before, just a matter of grinding.. you will get it soon.

Autoloader Blitz

Danomite07 #562 Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25433 battles

View PostNiko Power WGA, on 07 October 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Marks of Excellence are essentially Mastery badges that look at player damage + assist damage instead of experience. Like Mastery Badges, they can only be awarded if a player achieves more damage per game than a percentage of the entire player base. The server takes the average damage over the past 14 days from all players who have played that tank and compares it against the player’s average damage after each battle. 

What does all this mean?  The damage and assist damage you earn after each battle will be compared against the average for that tank across ALL battles in the past 14 days.  If your average is higher the required percentage of the global average, you’ll earn a mark! 

Let’s say the top damage + assist damage for the IS-6 per match is 7000 points of damage.  To get the first mark, you need higher than 65% of that, which is 4500.  85% is 5950 and 95% is 6650.  Remember it’s the average of damage dealt + assist damage!

Players who have already earned a Mark of Excellence can now track their progress towards the next one with the addition of progress percentages.

The progress will be shown in the Stats Log, per vehicle: "Your current ratio is higher than the ratio of X% of players."

At the moment, only players that have already earned a Mark of Excellence will be able to see the progress towards the next one. Players without a Mark on any tank will not be able to see their percentage while they try to earn the first Mark.  This will be changed in a future update to allow all players to view their progress percentage even if they do not currently own a Mark.

The Details:
  • Awarded per tank.
  • Tier V tanks or higher only.
  • Minimum of one battle to be eligible to earn a mark.
  • Once a player earns a mark, they will always have it.
  • Players may see marks awarded again in a battle. This works similarly to Mastery badges.
  • Stats tab displays highest Mark(s) and current percentage for that tank if you’ve earned a Mark.  Support for players who are trying to earn their first mark will be added soon!

Historically, gun marks were typically earned only by tank aces, so earning them in World of Tanks is deliberately demanding. To earn the first of three marks for a specific tank, you'll have to break into the top 35% of players using it; for the second and third tiers you'll need to rank in the top 15% and 5% respectively.

!!UPDATE!! For even more detailed information on MOE, please this link: MaxChaos24 Explains!

I love MoE's but would like to see other Mastery Marks for specific tank classes.  For example, blocking/bouncing in a heavy, or any tank really.  I think this would be an excellent metric for gauging tanking skill in addition to damage + assisted, how about blocked/bounced + assisted, spotting/relaying + assisted.  I realize this is a lot of data to compile but would definitely help clans and platoons quickly assess competencies and allow folks to show off their skills. 

In to the breach

FuzzySquirrel21 #563 Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5217 battles
I was sitting at 94.54% in my Tiger 131, I was waiting for the patch as it was going to fix the MoE.   Well, just played a match, 2400+ damage.  It was enough to push me over 95% to 3 mark it.   Now I just gotta ace tank it.

powpowpupow #564 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Private

• Players
  • 15874 battles
  • [IMPCH]
This doesn't make sense. If it is an average and I start out with 4k combined games in my first few games with a tier 10 medium why am I at 5 percent? That would mean that the top player is at 80k combined average.

You need to provide a better explanation. It seems to be taking your total combined damage in your last 100 games and dividing it by 100.  If you haven't played 100 games it still divided by 100.

Pontiac Pat #565 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Major

• WCL
  • 18873 battles
  • [47R]

View Postpowpowpupow, on 26 November 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

This doesn't make sense. If it is an average and I start out with 4k combined games in my first few games with a tier 10 medium why am I at 5 percent? That would mean that the top player is at 80k combined average.

You need to provide a better explanation. It seems to be averaging your last 100 games or some such.

There are different kinds of 'averages'.  What you refer to is a Simple Average.  An Exponential Moving Average is a completely different beast.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

powpowpupow #566 Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

Private

• Players
  • 15874 battles
  • [IMPCH]

View PostPontiac Pat, on 26 November 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

There are different kinds of 'averages'.  What you refer to is a Simple Average.  An Exponential Moving Average is a completely different beast.

That still doesn't explain starting out with a single digit average.

Pontiac Pat #567 Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

Major

• WCL
  • 18873 battles
  • [47R]

In an EMA you can start in one of two ways.  Option A - The first X number of data points are averaged as a 'simple average' and then it begins moving with that as the starting point.  Option B - You start at 0 and each data point adjusts you from 0 until you reach the long term average over time, with the exact time to reach that long term average depending on the coefficient used in the EMA formula.  Wargaming chose Option B.

Why did they choose B?  That is for them to answer.  I guess that it is because they wanted people to have to work for it and gain each mark in sequence.  Using A would have allowed people to have a few really good initial games and go straight to 3 marks instead of stepping through them one at a time.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

HalfFaceWarrior #568 Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:13 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4058 battles
I may be the dark horse here but does anyone else wish they could remove their marks? Not on all of my tanks but on some of my tanks i feel it looks silly

RapidFoal799301 #569 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8099 battles

View PostEchoC3, on 18 September 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

Intresting.. whenever you reach 82%, you always fall in a stream of terrible matchups or teamed with clueless casuals, only to kick you back to the 70%'s. Been trying to three mark the Ravioli, thing feels like it's cursed :P. Reach 83%, enters a streak of city maps, matched in tier 10, or team is too dumb to make a move.. (SPECIALLY El Halluf..) Not always able to dish out the necessary damage, sad having to depend on the team for positive results.. why not a more individual manner? But well, as the folks said before, just a matter of grinding.. you will get it soon.

^ what he said ^

When I hit 85.14% in my VK30.02M I went on the most horrific miss or non penetrating downward losing spiral.  I won only 19 out of 54 battles. I got blind one shotted by arty, not once but twice during that streak. It got so bad, I would wait over a full minute before moving from the spawn point.  I'd play back behind a wall of heavies only to have the shots intended for them miss and hit me instead while I wasn't even spotted.  I would get bottom tier matches where both teams were made up of entirely tier 8s except for me, I would be to only tier 6 on the postage stamp size maps like widepark.

Do I think this was all just a coincidence?  

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

My MOE dropped down to 68% I had around 1,800 battles in that tank when the plunge happened. To be at 80% and have it drop 12% took a substantial number of very low damage battles.

JapanMadeRice #570 Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10677 battles

If there a database where I can see how many players have earned 3 MoE on specific tanks?  The reason I ask (have two MoE) under my belt.  I'm playing my tier 5 Japanese medium  Chi_Ha, both the plain and the gold have 2 MoEs.   I've been so close to 95% for a LONG time,  Like recently 93.2% and then a few tier 7 games, I get one shotted by something etc, and I'm down to 91% and it takes a LONG while of 1000+ games consistent to ever inch above 92%.  The tank IMO just is too slow, has too little pen, has too little armor, and has too slow of a reload to make 3 MoE without a HUGE run of good luck.  My guess is each time I got over 93%, I had single digit, probably less chance to make it to 95%.   This was not a problem with other more powerful tier 5 tanks that I 3 MoE.  So is there a place where I can see how many xbox players got their 3 MoE?  

As an update I did look at damagestandings.com and I can see why it the Japanese tank is so hard to MoE...  It needs 1140 damage consistently. The tank is such a terd, only the Hydro needs more (the V/VI is not match made as a medium tier 5).  My favorite tier 5 tank the Type T-34 "only" needs 950 and that is much easier to get to 3 MoE.   I have to be nuts to try for 3 MoE in either Japanse tank.  Still like to see how many Xbox guys have gotten it.

Edited by JapanMadeRice, 06 January 2018 - 09:37 PM.

mockney_piers #571 Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 6761 battles
  • [F1LTH]

this site is also pretty handy (there's an xbox version of it somewhere) for seeing the moving demands on any tank

https://ps.wotclans.com.br/Tanks/MoE ..hang on...here you go https://wotclans.com.br/Tanks/MoE

3 stars needs 1040 currently on PS4.

Somewhat surprisingly it's only 950 combined on xbox at the moment, so seems like a good moment to give it a go.

I've started my moe chase on my brand new awful panther.

Managed 21% in my first game, looked at damage standings and it's claiming 1500 for 3 stars which seemed to good to be true.

Have checked the other site and it says 2470 which sounds depressingly much more plausible :(

Dra797ke #572 Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:46 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2906 battles

I hope to get the mark of Excellence for my tank yet I haven't got any

Blossomy_Hippo #573 Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:03 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3540 battles
  • [TOG]

View PostHalfFaceWarrior, on 31 December 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

I may be the dark horse here but does anyone else wish they could remove their marks? Not on all of my tanks but on some of my tanks i feel it looks silly

Nah, i find them to be useful. When people see me in my 3 marked tanks they are usually more likely to stick with me and back me up during a match, which is very much appreciated when playing squishy mediums. I also noticed that enemies that seem to notice the marks are less inclined to get into 1v1s or rushing me when i'm alone and with no back up, which is funny because that's exactly what they would need to do right away.

*PS4 Stats*

panthermark #574 Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6861 battles

View PostBlossomy_Hippo, on 05 February 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

Nah, i find them to be useful. When people see me in my 3 marked tanks they are usually more likely to stick with me and back me up during a match, which is very much appreciated when playing squishy mediums. I also noticed that enemies that seem to notice the marks are less inclined to get into 1v1s or rushing me when i'm alone and with no back up, which is funny because that's exactly what they would need to do right away.

I agree....I tend to avoid tanks with 3 marks if I"m not in a one of my "favorite" tanks.

Also, I like to think that if I get in a one on one dual (on equal footing), I'm going to come out on top.   When I do lose, I tend to feel "less bad" if I get killed in a one on one dual and I notice the tank has three marks on it. 

Orbtastic1 #575 Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 33728 battles
  • [UK]
Does anyone know if there's a way of sorting or looking at your damage standing? I can see marks on the console GUI but I have to go into each tank. It doesn't appear to be listed on wotlabs and it's not on the link on the top right here (although MoE are).

Pontiac Pat #576 Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

Major

• WCL
  • 18873 battles
  • [47R]
Unfortunately, no.

Panzer Cmndr #577 Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6737 battles
I have an MoE on three tanks so far, the 131, E75 and Tiger II. Working towards my Second MoE on these and the first on my E100, Lowe and Krafts Panther.

Rebel6974 #578 Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

Private

• Players
  • 4836 battles

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 07 October 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

Query...

Since you said a minimum of one battle is required to be eligible. Does this mean, theoretically, someone could buy a new tank, take it into battle and let's say they do AMAZING in it, (Rad or a Pool's), with 8-10K damage... they could earn one or more MoE because their average is so high compared to other players who have more games but lower averages?

Or in practice to you need X amount of battles before one appears?

I ask because there are conflicting reports on this. It took me 50ish battles to earn 1 MoE on a Hydra, (example), but it took me 1 battle in my Leo 1, (after I hadn't played in a very long time).

It does not actually work by just buy a tank play one battle. You have to look at the most played tanks. Say you grab the Tiger1, you now against all the players of that tank in the last 14 days, but if you use a lesser known tank that is not played by the majority of player base you have a higher chance of getting the mark. 

Rebel6974 #579 Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

Private

• Players
  • 4836 battles

View PostrhymeswithN00bs, on 07 October 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

So the very best IS-6 player in the universe's average is used to calculate 65%, 85%, and 95%? Weird.

Not just "the best IS-6 player in the universe", it is an average all players that played the IS-6 over the last 14 days. 

rhymeswithN00bs #580 Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14633 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostRebel6974, on 18 February 2018 - 12:31 AM, said:

Not just "the best IS-6 player in the universe", it is an average all players that played the IS-6 over the last 14 days. 

You're replying to a post from 3 years ago based on the info we were given at the time, which was 3 years ago...

XOXO, Noobius Y

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users