Sqn Ldr B's Daily History Quiz

History Quiz Daily

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
125 replies to this topic

Sqn Ldr B #1 Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

So, this is going to be my daily history quiz, there'll be 10 questions a day (unless I'm not in at the time, or whatever, so it won't be literally every day but you get the idea). Put your answers in a spoiler so we can't all see them. There's not going to be any winners or anything like that, just for a bit of fun. I'll trust you all not to cheat, you needn't bother nobody really cares if you get it wrong, at least then you'll learn something. The answers will be posted the next day shortly before the next bunch of questions are.

Anyway:

Day 1

1. Who was the King of England at the time of the Battle of Agincourt?
  2. What year did the Titanic sink?
  3. Which member of the German high command took over as Fuhrer after Hitler's suicide?
  4. Which English Queen was named the 'Virgin Queen'?
  5. Who was the AOC-in-C of RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain?
  6. Why was the Malayan Emergency (1948-60) referred to as an 'Emergency' and not as a 'War' or 'Conflict'?
  7. Which was the first allied unit to complete their objectives on D-Day? Where were the objectives, and who was the CO of the unit (including rank)?
  8. Who was the highest scoring German fighter ace of WW2? How many aircraft did he destroy in combat?
  9. Which British medium bomber was derived from a newspaper proprietor's request for a fast passenger aircraft?
  10. Which famous world leader wrote to Hitler before WW2 to ask him to avoid war, referring to Hitler as 'my friend' in the letter?

Credit to Uranprojekt for questions 7 and 10.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas

Black Duke 008 #2 Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:53 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25290 battles

We need someone else to check them!... As you seem to get history wrong!... :popcorn:

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

Party Poison91 #3 Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16129 battles
  • [X-OFF]

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 27 October 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

We need someone else to check them!... As you seem to get history wrong!... :popcorn:

Why do that? Do you really have to be that guy?
"That's a typical, shabby NAZI trick!"

Uranprojekt #4 Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 27 October 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

The answers have been checked, there's a group message thread in which the questions were discussed and agreed upon.

(Somewhat more on topic) Regarding these quizzes, I won't be participating in them if there's a question that I've contributed in order to keep things fair. There's no prizes or winners but it'd still be unfair for me to participate as I already know what the questions will be.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

Matthew J35U5 #5 Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 27 October 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

So, this is going to be my daily history quiz, there'll be 10 questions a day (unless I'm not in at the time, or whatever, so it won't be literally every day but you get the idea). Put your answers in a spoiler so we can't all see them. There's not going to be any winners or anything like that, just for a bit of fun. I'll trust you all not to cheat, you needn't bother nobody really cares if you get it wrong, at least then you'll learn something. The answers will be posted the next day shortly before the next bunch of questions are.

Anyway:

Day 1

3. Which member of the German high command took over as Fuhrer after Hitler's suicide?
  6. Why was the Malayan Emergency (1948-60) referred to as an 'Emergency' and not as a 'War' or 'Conflict'?
  7. Which was the first allied unit to complete their objectives on D-Day? Where were the objectives, and who was the CO of the unit (including rank)?
  8. Who was the highest scoring German fighter ace of WW2? How many aircraft did he destroy in combat?
  9. Which British medium bomber was derived from a newspaper proprietor's request for a fast passenger aircraft?
  10. Which famous world leader wrote to Hitler before WW2 to ask him to avoid war, referring to Hitler as 'my friend' in the letter?

1. Franz Ferdinand.
2. Space Battleship Titanic will sink in 2517. 
3. Dönitz. 
4. Edward VII.
5. Lavrentiy Beria. 
6. Because of stiff British upper lips. 
7. The invasion fleet was able to find the english channel. It was commanded by Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsey. 
8. Michael Wittman. He destroyed 10,000 air planes. 
9. The Crashes-and-Burns mk. II
10. Kaiser Wilhelm I. 

This was fun, we should do it again sometime. :)

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

WrathofAchilles #6 Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24924 battles
  • [KMD]

Anyway:

Day 1

I'm curious about something Sqn...

I know from your threads and posts you focus on British History, (obviously :P), but is that all encompassing? Or mainly post-industrial/modern?

The Senpai of Overwhelming Despair and Tragedy

232nd Kuromorimine Mechanized Division [KMD] Commanding Officer

"Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance."

Sqn Ldr B #7 Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 27 October 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

1. Franz Ferdinand.
2. Space Battleship Titanic will sink in 2517. 
3. Dönitz. 
4. Edward VII.
5. Lavrentiy Beria. 
6. Because of stiff British upper lips. 
7. The invasion fleet was able to find the english channel. It was commanded by Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsey. 
8. Michael Wittman. He destroyed 10,000 air planes. 
9. The Crashes-and-Burns mk. II
10. Kaiser Wilhelm I. 

This was fun, we should do it again sometime. :)

100%, all correct.

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 27 October 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

I'm curious about something Sqn...

I know from your threads and posts you focus on British History, (obviously :P), but is that all encompassing? Or mainly post-industrial/modern?

Mainly post 1600-ish, medieval stuff bores me a bit. Plus before about 1200 it starts to get a bit complicated and it's hard to track what actually counted as 'Britain' and all the different kingdoms and groups and places that weren't ruled by the English monarch as well.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

WrathofAchilles #8 Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24924 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 27 October 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

100%, all correct.

Mainly post 1600-ish, medieval stuff bores me a bit. Plus before about 1200 it starts to get a bit complicated and it's hard to track what actually counted as 'Britain' and all the different kingdoms and groups and places that weren't ruled by the English monarch as well.

Ah... so no interest in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms and domains, the Roman period or Pre-Roman Britain when it was the Celtic tribes?

"Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance."

Sqn Ldr B #9 Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostWrathofAchilles, on 27 October 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Ah... so no interest in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms and domains, the Roman period or Pre-Roman Britain when it was the Celtic tribes?

Not particularly, no. I prefer the history when 'Britain' actually becomes a proper and nation and encompasses all of the British Isles, and not just the south of England and some of the Midlands, and when it becomes a lot clearer what's happening. To be perfectly honest the Romans bore me.

WrathofAchilles #10 Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24924 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 27 October 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

Not particularly, no. I prefer the history when 'Britain' actually becomes a proper and nation and encompasses all of the British Isles, and not just the south of England and some of the Midlands, and when it becomes a lot clearer what's happening. To be perfectly honest the Romans bore me.

Ouch...

But fair enough.

See for me, it's reverse. I like reading something interesting or new from the post Renaissance period... but it doesn't do anything for me. Now if we go back much further, (particularly Hellenistic, Roman and Bronze Age periods), I lose my sh1t in excitement...

UnsoundDineen #11 Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10166 battles
There's no question about V-Bombers :angry:

Sqn Ldr B #12 Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostUnsoundDineen, on 27 October 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

There's no question about V-Bombers :angry:

Soon™

Matthew J35U5 #13 Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 27 October 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

100%, all correct.

Each day you should ask a question for which one of my wrong answers the previous day is the right answer. :P

Sqn Ldr B #14 Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 27 October 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

Each day you should ask a question for which one of my wrong answers the previous day is the right answer. :P

Hmm, I may do that.

Sqn Ldr B #15 Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles
Does anyone have any actual answers?

GingerNinjaMax #16 Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles
Spoiler

Sqn Ldr B #17 Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 27 October 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

Spoiler

All correct apart from number 6 and 7.

Sqn Ldr B #18 Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles
Answers will come in the morning, you've got about 9 hours to get them in.

Matthew J35U5 #19 Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 27 October 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Does anyone have any actual answers?

Anyway:

Day 1

Super legit answers

I may have had some... inspiration for these. 

Sqn Ldr B #20 Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 27 October 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

Super legit answers

I may have had some... inspiration for these. 

Good work! :teethhappy:

Also tagged with History, Quiz, Daily

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users