125 replies to this topic

Sqn Ldr B #21 Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles
Well, here are the answers for yesterday's questions:

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 27 October 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Day 1

1. Who was the King of England at the time of the Battle of Agincourt?
  2. What year did the Titanic sink?
  3. Which member of the German high command took over as Fuhrer after Hitler's suicide?
  4. Which English Queen was named the 'Virgin Queen'?
  5. Who was the AOC-in-C of RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain?
  6. Why was the Malayan Emergency (1948-60) referred to as an 'Emergency' and not as a 'War' or 'Conflict'?
  7. Which was the first allied unit to complete their objectives on D-Day? Where were the objectives, and who was the CO of the unit (including rank)?
  8. Who was the highest scoring German fighter ace of WW2? How many aircraft did he destroy in combat?
  9. Which British medium bomber was derived from a newspaper proprietor's request for a fast passenger aircraft?
  10. Which famous world leader wrote to Hitler before WW2 to ask him to avoid war, referring to Hitler as 'my friend' in the letter?

Credit to Uranprojekt for questions 7 and 10.

1. Henry V.
  2. 1912.
  3. Admiral Karl Donitz.
  4. Elizabeth I.
  5. Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding.
  6. Because of all the British sugar plantation companies. Loyd's Insurance company would not pay out to the plantation owners in the event their businesses were destroyed or damaged in a war, so the British Government named it an 'emergency' so Loyd's would still have to pay out to the big sugar businesses.
  7. 2nd Ranger Battalion, at Pointe Du Hoc, commanded by Lt. Col. James Earl Rudder.
  8. Erich Hartmann, credited with the destruction of 352 allied aircraft (345 Soviet and 7 American). He was never himself brought down as a result of enemy fire. (Although he was downed 14 times by mechanical failure or as a result of his aircraft being struck by fragment of aircraft he'd just shot down).
  9. Bristol Blenheim.
  10. Mahatma Gandhi.

Stay tuned for the next 10 questions.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas

Sqn Ldr B #22 Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

Day 2

1. Who did General Sir Archibald Wavell replace in 1942 and what was the position he took over?
  2. The Battle of Waterloo was fought between Britain and France, and is famously where Wellington defeated Napoleon. But which other nation was most heavily involved, alongside the British?
  3. Who was the British anthropologist that worked in the hills of Assam and led local guerilla forces against Japanese occupation forces? Who was the tribe they led, and and what was the nickname given to the anthropologist?
  4. The Challenger MBT was originally designed for export to Iran. What was the previous tank created for export to Iran, that formed the basis for the Challenger?
  5. The Argentinian ship the General Belgrano was sunk by the submarine HMS Conqueror in the 1982 Falklands War.. Which nation did the General Belgrano previously serve with before being given to Argentina, and what was the ship previously named?
  6. In December 1931, the RAF officer Douglas Bader crashed while performing aerobatics. The crash led to the amputation of both his legs, but he went  on to continue flying and became a fighter ace during WW2. What aircraft was Bader flying at the time of the crash in 1931?
  7. During the 1982 Falklands War, SAS forces conducted a raid on an Argentinian airfield, destroying several aircraft, including Pucara ground attack aircraft and Mentor light attack aircraft, as well one Skyan transport. What was the name of this famous raid?
  8. For a period of WW1, mainly during 1915, the German Luftstreitkrafte gained aerial superiority on the Western Front, when the British and the French found their aircraft inferior to the Germans'. What was the name given to this period?
  9. The RAF was formed in April 1918, upon the amalgamation of the army and naval air components. What were the names of the two forces that merged to form the RAF?
  10. In 1940, the British government formed the LDV, the Local Defence Volunteers. The name was later changed to the Home Guard. The Home Guard was affectionately known by a different name, a name that later lent itself to a 1970s sitcom. What was this name?

Credit to Uranprojekt for questions 1 and 3, and Metalrodent for questions 2, 4 and 5.

Edited by Sqn Ldr B, 28 October 2015 - 12:00 PM.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Uranprojekt #23 Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles
I purposefully made question 1 quite easy and question 3 rather difficult. Have fun trying to get question 3 :trollface:

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

Matthew J35U5 #24 Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 28 October 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

Day 2

1. Who did General Sir Archibald Wavell replace in 1942 and what was the position he took over?
  2. The Battle of Waterloo was fought between Britain and France, and is famously where Wellington defeated Napoleon. But which other nation was most heavily involved, alongside the British?
  3. Who was the British anthropologist that worked in the hills of Assam and led local guerilla forces against Japanese occupation forces? Who was the tribe they led, and and what was the nickname given to the anthropologist?
  4. The Challenger MBT was originally designed for export to Iran. What was the previous tank created for export to Iran, that formed the basis for the Challenger?
  5. The Argentinian ship the General Belgrano was sunk by the submarine HMS Conqueror in the 1982 Falklands War.. Which nation did the General Belgrano previously serve with before being given to Argentina, and what was the ship previously named?
  6. In December 1931, the RAF officer Douglas Bader crashed while performing aerobatics. The crash led to the amputation of both his legs, but he went  on to continue flying and became a fighter ace during WW2. What aircraft was Bader flying at the time of the crash in 1931?
  7. During the 1982 Falklands War, SAS forces conducted a raid on an Argentinian airfield, destroying several aircraft, including Pucara ground attack aircraft and Mentor light attack aircraft, as well one Skyan transport. What was the name of this famous raid?
  8. For a period of WW1, mainly during 1915, the German Luftstreitkrafte gained aerial superiority on the Western Front, when the British and the French found their aircraft inferior to the Germans'. What was the name given to this period?
  9. The RAF was formed in April 1918, upon the amalgamation of the army and naval air components. What were the names of the two forces that merged to form the RAF?
  10. In 1940, the British government formed the LDV, the Local Defence Volunteers. The name was later changed to the Home Guard. The Home Guard was affectionately known by a different name, a name that later lent itself to a 1970s sitcom. What was this name?

Credit to Uranprojekt for questions 1 and 3, and Metalrodent for questions 2, 4 and 5.

Spoiler

It is possible that the Poland trolling is getting a bit too much. I at least need to make it somewhat surprising when I say it, otherwise I'm just repeating myself. 

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Sqn Ldr B #25 Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 28 October 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Spoiler

It is possible that the Poland trolling is getting a bit too much. I at least need to make it somewhat surprising when I say it, otherwise I'm just repeating myself. 

Again, all correct. :rolleyes:

Uranprojekt #26 Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 28 October 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Spoiler

Your answer to question 3 is most definitely correct :teethhappy:

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

Party Poison91 #27 Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16129 battles
  • [X-OFF]

View PostUranprojekt, on 28 October 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

Your answer to question 3 is most definitely correct :teethhappy:

Should be the answer to every question :trollface:
"That's a typical, shabby NAZI trick!"

GingerNinjaMax #28 Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:35 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles
Spoiler

Sqn Ldr B #29 Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 28 October 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

Spoiler

All correct apart from number 1, good work.

Sqn Ldr B #30 Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 28 October 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Day 2

Answers:

1. Air Chief Marshal Sir Robert Brooke-Popham, Commander in Chief Far East.
  2. Prussia.
  3. Ursula Graham Bower, working with Naga Tribe and known as the Naga Queen, or Queen of the Jungle.
  4. Shir MBT.
  5. United States, as the USS Phoenix.
  6. Bristol Bulldog.
  7. Pebble Island Raid (or Raid on Pebble Island).
  8. Fokker Scourge.
  9. Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS).
  10. Dad's Army.

New questions soon.

Sqn Ldr B #31 Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

Day 3

1. During WW2, the US supplied the M3 Lee to Britain under the Lend Lease act. What name was the Lee given in British service?
  2. During WW2, the UK signed the 'Destroyers for Bases' agreement, allowing the US to give 50 destroyers to Britain, in return for a period of time leasing airbases and ports in places such as Bermuda and Newfoundland. How long was the lease for US forces to use British bases?
  3. What was the name of the leather, spiked helmet famous for being worn by the German army in the early stages of WW1?
  4. Winston Churchill was made an honorary officer in the RAF during the 1940s. What rank did he hold?
  5. Operation Dynamo is the famous evacuation effort that saved 300,000 allied troops from the beaches at Dunkirk. But what was the name of the operation evacuating allied troops from French ports other than Dunkirk?
  6. What were the names (in German) for the two phases of the German invasion of France?
  7. Who were the three allied leaders present at the signing of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919?
  8. What historic British document did Churchill offer to sell to America in an effort to coax them into the war on Britain's side? (Note: the offer was declined).
  9. The first Stuart King of England was James I. What other country was he the ruler of, as James VI?
  10. What English military leader took over control of England, under the title of Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, after the English Civil War, that ended with the ousting of the monarchy and the beheading of Charles I?

Matthew J35U5 #32 Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 29 October 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

Day 3

1. During WW2, the US supplied the M3 Lee to Britain under the Lend Lease act. What name was the Lee given in British service?
  2. During WW2, the UK signed the 'Destroyers for Bases' agreement, allowing the US to give 50 destroyers to Britain, in return for a period of time leasing airbases and ports in places such as Bermuda and Newfoundland. How long was the lease for US forces to use British bases?
  3. What was the name of the leather, spiked helmet famous for being worn by the German army in the early stages of WW1?
  4. Winston Churchill was made an honorary officer in the RAF during the 1940s. What rank did he hold?
  5. Operation Dynamo is the famous evacuation effort that saved 300,000 allied troops from the beaches at Dunkirk. But what was the name of the operation evacuating allied troops from French ports other than Dunkirk?
  6. What were the names (in German) for the two phases of the German invasion of France?
  7. Who were the three allied leaders present at the signing of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919?
  8. What historic British document did Churchill offer to sell to America in an effort to coax them into the war on Britain's side? (Note: the offer was declined).
  9. The first Stuart King of England was James I. What other country was he the ruler of, as James VI?
  10. What English military leader took over control of England, under the title of Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, after the English Civil War, that ended with the ousting of the monarchy and the beheading of Charles I?
Spoiler

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

GingerNinjaMax #33 Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 29 October 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Answers:

1. Air Chief Marshal Sir Robert Brooke-Popham, Commander in Chief Far East.
  2. Prussia.
  3. Ursula Graham Bower, working with Naga Tribe and known as the Naga Queen, or Queen of the Jungle.
  4. Shir MBT.
  5. United States, as the USS Phoenix.
  6. Bristol Bulldog.
  7. Pebble Island Raid (or Raid on Pebble Island).
  8. Fokker Scourge.
  9. Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS).
  10. Dad's Army.

New questions soon.

Sorry to be insurbordinate Squadron Leader but I'm afraid you ve missed your target on question 1.

1940–1942

The British had two commands with responsibilities for possessions in the Far East. GHQ India under General Sir Archibald Wavell the Commander-in-Chief, India and the Far East Command under Air Marshal Robert Brooke-Popham and from 23 December 1941 by Lieutenant-General Sir Henry Royds Pownall.The C-in-C Far East Command was responsible directly to the Chiefs of Staff for the operational control and general direction of training of all British land and air forces in Malaya, Burma, and Hong Kong, and for the co-ordination of plans for the defence of those territories.

When the Allied governments appointed General Sir Archibald Wavell as supreme commander of American-British-Dutch-Australian Command (ABDACOM), British Far East Command became redundant because its functions would in future be carried out by ABDACOM. So when Wavell arrived in Singapore, where the British Far East Command was based, on 7 January 1942. ABDACOM absorbed the British command in its entirety and C-in-C Far East Command Henry Royds Pownall became Wavell's Chief of Staff. On 15 January, Wavell moved his headquarters to Lembang near Bandung on Java and assumed control of Allied operations.

Name                                                                                                                                                                          Appointed

General Sir Claude Auchinleck left to become Commander-in-Chief Middle East (swapped jobs with Wavell) 1941 January 27
General Sir Archibald Wavell Left to take command of the short lived ABDACOM; later became Viceroy. 1941 July 5
General Sir Alan Hartley   1942 January 5
Field Marshal Sir Archibald Wavell Reappointment. Sir Alan Hartley appointed Deputy Commander-in-Chief. 1942 March 7

GingerNinjaMax #34 Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 29 October 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

Day 3

First of all let me say thanks very much for doing this quiz Squadron Leader. it is great that someone is putting time and effort in. Well done to you Sir

Spoiler
1. General Grant. 
2. 99 years. 
3. Pickelhaube
4. Air commodore
5. Operation Ariel 
6. Fall Rot and Fall Gelb. 
7. Lloyd George  Woodrow WIlson   Georges Clemenceau. 
8. Magna Carta
9. Scotland. 
10. Oliver Cromwell.

Uranprojekt #35 Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 29 October 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Sorry to be insurbordinate Squadron Leader but I'm afraid you ve missed your target on question 1.

1940–1942

The British had two commands with responsibilities for possessions in the Far East. GHQ India under General Sir Archibald Wavell the Commander-in-Chief, India and the Far East Command under Air Marshal Robert Brooke-Popham and from 23 December 1941 by Lieutenant-General Sir Henry Royds Pownall.The C-in-C Far East Command was responsible directly to the Chiefs of Staff for the operational control and general direction of training of all British land and air forces in Malaya, Burma, and Hong Kong, and for the co-ordination of plans for the defence of those territories.

When the Allied governments appointed General Sir Archibald Wavell as supreme commander of American-British-Dutch-Australian Command (ABDACOM), British Far East Command became redundant because its functions would in future be carried out by ABDACOM. So when Wavell arrived in Singapore, where the British Far East Command was based, on 7 January 1942. ABDACOM absorbed the British command in its entirety and C-in-C Far East Command Henry Royds Pownall became Wavell's Chief of Staff. On 15 January, Wavell moved his headquarters to Lembang near Bandung on Java and assumed control of Allied operations.

Name                                                                                                                                                                          Appointed

General Sir Claude Auchinleck left to become Commander-in-Chief Middle East (swapped jobs with Wavell) 1941 January 27
General Sir Archibald Wavell Left to take command of the short lived ABDACOM; later became Viceroy. 1941 July 5
General Sir Alan Hartley   1942 January 5
Field Marshal Sir Archibald Wavell Reappointment. Sir Alan Hartley appointed Deputy Commander-in-Chief. 1942 March 7

I based question 1 on information from the book Forgotten Armies: Britain's Asian Empire & The War With Japan by Christopher Bayley and Tim Harper.

I intentionally left the question incredibly vague in order to make it more difficult but Wavell did replace Brooke-Popham as the commander of the Far East Command for the short time it was still an independent position before the creation of ABDACOM. Direct quote from the book mentioned above is as follows:

"Brooke-Popham, Air Chief Marshal Sir Robert (b. 1878). Brought from retirement after Governorship of Kenya, 1937-9, to become Commander in Chief, Far East, 1940-41. Replaced by Wavell in January 1942." pg XX of the section titled Some Key Characters.

GingerNinjaMax #36 Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles

View PostUranprojekt, on 29 October 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

I based question 1 on information from the book Forgotten Armies: Britain's Asian Empire & The War With Japan by Christopher Bayley and Tim Harper.

I intentionally left the question incredibly vague in order to make it more difficult but Wavell did replace Brooke-Popham as the commander of the Far East Command for the short time it was still an independent position before the creation of ABDACOM. Direct quote from the book mentioned above is as follows:

"Brooke-Popham, Air Chief Marshal Sir Robert (b. 1878). Brought from retirement after Governorship of Kenya, 1937-9, to become Commander in Chief, Far East, 1940-41. Replaced by Wavell in January 1942." pg XX of the section titled Some Key Characters.

sorry your book is wrong. It had been agreed in London that Brooke-Popham should be replaced as commander-in-chief on 1 November 1941, the change was not made because of the critical situation in Singapore and the far east in general.. However, with the war with Japan now unfolding, many believed that Brooke-Popham was near to a nervous collapse. The cabinet envoy Duff Cooper urged his replacement and London agreed. On 27 December1941,  Brooke-Popham handed over command of Far east command to  Lieutenant General Sir Henry Pownall and then on 7th January 1942 Wavell took control of both commands.

another reference on Pownall reads; He ( Pownall) subsequently became Commander-in-Chief of the British Far East Command in South East Asia until 1942 when it was succeeded by the short-lived ABDACOM where he became Chief of Staff to General Sir Archibald Wavell.

But I still thank you for your efforts so lets Agree to Disagree

Uranprojekt #37 Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 29 October 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

sorry your book is wrong. It had been agreed in London that Brooke-Popham should be replaced as commander-in-chief on 1 November 1941, the change was not made because of the critical situation in Singapore and the far east in general.. However, with the war with Japan now unfolding, many believed that Brooke-Popham was near to a nervous collapse. The cabinet envoy Duff Cooper urged his replacement and London agreed. On 27 December1941,  Brooke-Popham handed over command of Far east command to  Lieutenant General Sir Henry Pownall and then on 7th January 1942 Wavell took control of both commands.

another reference on Pownall reads; He ( Pownall) subsequently became Commander-in-Chief of the British Far East Command in South East Asia until 1942 when it was succeeded by the short-lived ABDACOM where he became Chief of Staff to General Sir Archibald Wavell.

But I still thank you for your efforts so lets Agree to Disagree

Whilst we're agreeing to disagree, are we also agreeing that Wikipedia is also known to be incorrect or no?

Whilst we're agreeing to disagree, are we also agreeing that Ursula Graham Bower wasn't the Naga Queen? I ask because I got the information about her from the same book that you categorically and undeniably state is wrong.

GingerNinjaMax #38 Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:51 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles

View PostUranprojekt, on 29 October 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Whilst we're agreeing to disagree, are we also agreeing that Wikipedia is also known to be incorrect or no?

Whilst we're agreeing to disagree, are we also agreeing that Ursula Graham Bower wasn't the Naga Queen? I ask because I got the information about her from the same book that you categorically and undeniably state is wrong.

of course wiki can be wrong. no need to be hostile though mate. Iam not saying you are wrong.I checked the facts with several sites on the web as well as wiki. check wiki for yourself though because on each person Wavell Auchinleck Pownell and Popham they all agree within a couple of days the facts that I stated. four separate entries all stating the same thing can't all be wrong. have also checked The Naga queen she was on wiki aswell so it wasn,t wrong then either/. Sorry But if you are not prepared to admit your sources are potentially wrong then lets just leave it.

is this another typical Tanks forum reaction to dissent.

Uranprojekt #39 Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 29 October 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

of course wiki can be wrong. no need to be hostile though mate. Iam not saying you are wrong.I checked the facts with several sites on the web as well as wiki. check wiki for yourself though because on each person Wavell Auchinleck Pownell and Popham they all agree within a couple of days the facts that I stated. four separate entries all stating the same thing can't all be wrong. have also checked The Naga queen she was on wiki aswell so it wasn,t wrong then either/. Sorry But if you are not prepared to admit your sources are potentially wrong then lets just leave it.

is this another typical Tanks forum reaction to dissent.

Trust me, I am not being hostile. I am, however, somewhat offended that you'd use a copy/paste job from Wikipedia to tell me that I'm wrong. By all means, prove that I'm wrong and I'll admit my mistake but do it by providing reputable sources. At the very least, don't make it so blatantly obvious that you're copy/pasting from Wikipedia.

GingerNinjaMax #40 Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles

As I said  four Sources on Wiki were the clearest so why not cut and paste them. They are a source of info are they not. so here are some more

http://www.ukwarcabinet.org.uk/documents/286 This one is from the national archives and is a letter from Churchil via the War cabinet sec saying that Auchinleck and Wavell will change places with Wavell CinC India

http://www.generals.dk/general/Wavell/Archibald_Percival_Earl/Great_Britain.html

http://www.dutcheastindies.webs.com/wavell.html

Brooke Popham

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=37NSrRm_XEoC&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=brooke+popham&source=bl&ots=lqTRfo8UY5&sig=kcT29zf5Up1FpMe3j6IXcbioA5A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBTgKahUKEwjn_uWq8ujIAhVCchoKHbXFBT8#v=onepage&q=brooke%20popham&f=false  page 124 of

http://www.kingscollections.org/catalogues/lhcma/collection/b/br65-001/br65-01 This is small part of a list of hundreds of letters and personal papers stored.at the Lidell-Hart centre for military archives at  Kings College London  Couldn't work out how to open the relevant one but see the cut and paste  below

Personal material, 1940 Oct-1942  including itineraries and dinner seating plans relating to his initial journey to Singapore, Malaya; letters and telegrams, mainly comprising thanks for hospitality during the visits of various officials to Singapore; cuttings from newspapers including The Straits Times, The Singapore Free Press, the South China Morning Post, The Singapore Times, The Herald (Manila), the Phillipines Herald, and the Manila Daily Bulletin, mainly on subjects relating to the defence of Singapore, the appointment of Brooke-Popham, speeches by the Rt Hon Winston (Leonard Spencer) Churchill, Prime Minister, the Anglo-American talks in Manila on 4 Oct 1941, and the appointment of Lt Gen Sir Henry Royds Pownall as Commander in Chief, Far East, Dec 1941. 1 file, 76 items.

http://www.knowledgenet.com.sg/singapore/SG/BI/BIRBP001_next_0.html

Sir Henry Royds Pownall

http://www.generals.dk/general/Pownall/Sir_Henry_Royds/Great_Britain.html

http://www.warfare.altervista.org/DutchEastIndies/TIME-12Jan1942-ReportOnAGrimness.html This is the copy of a Time Magazine article in 1942 and mentions his new job in the second paragraph

http://www.britishmilitaryhistory.co.uk/documents.php?aid=122.html open the PDF file at the bottom of page and it is at the foot of page 16 of the pdf

http://ww2db.com/person_bio.php?person_id=387

I found a couple more but it meant subscribing and I didn't fancy paying.

Edited by GingerNinjaMax, 30 October 2015 - 12:22 AM.

Also tagged with History, Quiz, Daily

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users