• This topic is locked This topic is locked
125 replies to this topic

Uranprojekt #41 Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:50 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 29 October 2015 - 11:46 PM, said:

-Snip-

ABDACOM was the successor to the British Far East Command. For the short time that ABDACOM existed, it enveloped the BFEC. I realise that Pownall was C-in-C of the BFEC at this point but he'd only been in the job for roughly two weeks (Dec. 23 1941-Jan. 7 1942), I doubt he'd even had time to fully move into the office before Wavell arrived in Singapore in January '42. For all intents and purposes, Wavell replaced Brooke-Popham (Brooke-Popham was still BFEC C-in-C when the decision to create ABDACOM was first made immediately following the Japanese declaration of war on December 7 1941) when ABDACOM swallowed up the BFEC although, admittedly, it wasn't a direct replacement.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

GingerNinjaMax #42 Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6523 battles

View PostUranprojekt, on 30 October 2015 - 01:50 AM, said:

ABDACOM was the successor to the British Far East Command. For the short time that ABDACOM existed, it enveloped the BFEC. I realise that Pownall was C-in-C of the BFEC at this point but he'd only been in the job for roughly two weeks (Dec. 23 1941-Jan. 7 1942), I doubt he'd even had time to fully move into the office before Wavell arrived in Singapore in January '42. For all intents and purposes, Wavell replaced Brooke-Popham (Brooke-Popham was still BFEC C-in-C when the decision to create ABDACOM was first made immediately following the Japanese declaration of war on December 7 1941) when ABDACOM swallowed up the BFEC although, admittedly, it wasn't a direct replacement.

so  you were happy with my sources and sort of technically - almost in a round about way,  if I am going to get nit picking,  sort of really anal,  sort of If I must ,  agree that I was right-ish

Uranprojekt #43 Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8338 battles

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 29 October 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

Day 3

1. During WW2, the US supplied the M3 Lee to Britain under the Lend Lease act. What name was the Lee given in British service?
  2. During WW2, the UK signed the 'Destroyers for Bases' agreement, allowing the US to give 50 destroyers to Britain, in return for a period of time leasing airbases and ports in places such as Bermuda and Newfoundland. How long was the lease for US forces to use British bases?
  3. What was the name of the leather, spiked helmet famous for being worn by the German army in the early stages of WW1?
  4. Winston Churchill was made an honorary officer in the RAF during the 1940s. What rank did he hold?
  5. Operation Dynamo is the famous evacuation effort that saved 300,000 allied troops from the beaches at Dunkirk. But what was the name of the operation evacuating allied troops from French ports other than Dunkirk?
  6. What were the names (in German) for the two phases of the German invasion of France?
  7. Who were the three allied leaders present at the signing of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919?
  8. What historic British document did Churchill offer to sell to America in an effort to coax them into the war on Britain's side? (Note: the offer was declined).
  9. The first Stuart King of England was James I. What other country was he the ruler of, as James VI?
  10. What English military leader took over control of England, under the title of Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, after the English Civil War, that ended with the ousting of the monarchy and the beheading of Charles I?

Sqn Ldr B is away for a couple of days so I'll be posting the answers to yesterday's questions. There won't be a quiz today because I forgot to think of some questions. I know, I'm crap :P

1.Grant.
2. 99 Years.
3. Pickelhaube.
4. Air Commodore.
5. Operation Ariel.
6. Fall Gelb and Fall Rot.
7. Georges Clemenceau, David Lloyd George and Woodrow Wilson.
8. Magna Carta.
9. Scotland.
10. Oliver Cromwell.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

I write things, things which can be found in Historical Discussions. Things like this article on the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 and this article on the Spanish Civil War.

To those of you who don't molest the English language, I salute you. For everyone else, there's this handy link; http://www.reverso.n...elling-grammar/

NSW Mntd Rifles #44 Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:36 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39357 battles
BDACOM virtually disappeared up its own ineptitude. 

Sqn Ldr B #45 Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 29 October 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Sorry to be insurbordinate Squadron Leader but I'm afraid you ve missed your target on question 1.

1940–1942

The British had two commands with responsibilities for possessions in the Far East. GHQ India under General Sir Archibald Wavell the Commander-in-Chief, India and the Far East Command under Air Marshal Robert Brooke-Popham and from 23 December 1941 by Lieutenant-General Sir Henry Royds Pownall.The C-in-C Far East Command was responsible directly to the Chiefs of Staff for the operational control and general direction of training of all British land and air forces in Malaya, Burma, and Hong Kong, and for the co-ordination of plans for the defence of those territories.

When the Allied governments appointed General Sir Archibald Wavell as supreme commander of American-British-Dutch-Australian Command (ABDACOM), British Far East Command became redundant because its functions would in future be carried out by ABDACOM. So when Wavell arrived in Singapore, where the British Far East Command was based, on 7 January 1942. ABDACOM absorbed the British command in its entirety and C-in-C Far East Command Henry Royds Pownall became Wavell's Chief of Staff. On 15 January, Wavell moved his headquarters to Lembang near Bandung on Java and assumed control of Allied operations.

Name                                                                                                                                                                          Appointed

General Sir Claude Auchinleck left to become Commander-in-Chief Middle East (swapped jobs with Wavell) 1941 January 27
General Sir Archibald Wavell Left to take command of the short lived ABDACOM; later became Viceroy. 1941 July 5
General Sir Alan Hartley   1942 January 5
Field Marshal Sir Archibald Wavell Reappointment. Sir Alan Hartley appointed Deputy Commander-in-Chief. 1942 March 7

Credit to Uranprojekt. He did it. :hiding:

View PostGingerNinjaMax, on 29 October 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

First of all let me say thanks very much for doing this quiz Squadron Leader. it is great that someone is putting time and effort in. Well done to you Sir

Spoiler
1. General Grant. 
2. 99 years. 
3. Pickelhaube
4. Air commodore
5. Operation Ariel 
6. Fall Rot and Fall Gelb. 
7. Lloyd George  Woodrow WIlson   Georges Clemenceau. 
8. Magna Carta
9. Scotland. 
10. Oliver Cromwell.

Yes, all correct. Glad to see you appreciate it.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas

Black Duke 008 #46 Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25290 battles

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 27 October 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Does anyone have any actual answers?

Surprise, surprise?... :popcorn:

You do not even know the answers... :teethhappy::teethhappy::trollface::teethhappy::teethhappy:

Why do you not make up the answers? like you do when inventing words... CRITICALLED!... :deer:

Join the Bunker = Safe Place

http://thebunker.fre...fe-space?page=1             

Sqn Ldr B #47 Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostBlack Duke 008, on 01 November 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:

Surprise, surprise?... :popcorn:

You do not even know the answers... :teethhappy::teethhappy::trollface::teethhappy::teethhappy:

Why do you not make up the answers? like you do when inventing words... CRITICALLED!... :deer:

If you'd actually gone through the thread, you'd notice that on three occasions I has provided answers for 30 questions, of which about 20 were of my own design. And yet I don't see a single answer from you. Perhaps you would give us the pleasure of your answering the next questions?

Edited by Sqn Ldr B, 01 November 2015 - 09:23 AM.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Sqn Ldr B #48 Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

Day 4

1. In early 1942, a supreme command for allied forces in the South East Asia theatre was formed, under the name of ABDACOM. What did the abbreviation 'ABDACOM' stand for?
  2. ABDACOM was divided into three separate commands for land, air and naval forces. What were the abbreviations for these three commands? (Hint, they all being with the prefix 'ABDA-;).
  3. During 1945, the eventuality that Japan would not surrender after the atomic bombings had to be accounted for, and a plan of the full scale invasion of mainland Japan was drawn up. What was the name of this operation?
  4. The RAF established a bomber force for use in the invasion of Japan. It was equipped with Lancasters, and many were converted for the first use of air to air refuelling in operations. Their aircraft were painted black and white. What was the name of this force?
  5. In June of 1942, Japanese forces invaded and captured a chain of Alaskan islands, and held them until the islands were recaptured by American forces in 1943. Which islands were invaded in this instance?
  6. On 6th September 1939, an aerial engagement occurred, resulting in the first aircraft to be downed by a Spitfire. Which nations were involved in this combat, and how many and what aircraft were lost?
  7. What battle saw the first use of tanks in combat?
  8. Following the Russian Revolution, a civil war erupted, pitting the communist 'red' Russians against which other Russian force?
  9. On 3rd December 1945, the first successful landing of a jet aircraft on an aircraft carrier was performed. What aircraft was landed, what ship was landed on, and who was the pilot?
  10. During the Falklands War, British forces were to land on the islands and be carried across the islands to Stanley by helicopter. In the end however, the troops had to walk across the islands, when the ship carrying the helicopters was sunk by Argentinian Exocets. Which ship carrying the helicopters was sunk?

Sqn Ldr B #49 Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

Apologies for my slacking on this recently, I've been a bit busy. Questions and answers will be in the late afternoon instead from now on.

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 01 November 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

Day 4

1. In early 1942, a supreme command for allied forces in the South East Asia theatre was formed, under the name of ABDACOM. What did the abbreviation 'ABDACOM' stand for?
  2. ABDACOM was divided into three separate commands for land, air and naval forces. What were the abbreviations for these three commands? (Hint, they all being with the prefix 'ABDA-;).
  3. During 1945, the eventuality that Japan would not surrender after the atomic bombings had to be accounted for, and a plan of the full scale invasion of mainland Japan was drawn up. What was the name of this operation?
  4. The RAF established a bomber force for use in the invasion of Japan. It was equipped with Lancasters, and many were converted for the first use of air to air refuelling in operations. Their aircraft were painted black and white. What was the name of this force?
  5. In June of 1942, Japanese forces invaded and captured a chain of Alaskan islands, and held them until the islands were recaptured by American forces in 1943. Which islands were invaded in this instance?
  6. On 6th September 1939, an aerial engagement occurred, resulting in the first aircraft to be downed by a Spitfire. Which nations were involved in this combat, and how many and what aircraft were lost?
  7. What battle saw the first use of tanks in combat?
  8. Following the Russian Revolution, a civil war erupted, pitting the communist 'red' Russians against which other Russian force?
  9. On 3rd December 1945, the first successful landing of a jet aircraft on an aircraft carrier was performed. What aircraft was landed, what ship was landed on, and who was the pilot?
  10. During the Falklands War, British forces were to land on the islands and be carried across the islands to Stanley by helicopter. In the end however, the troops had to walk across the islands, when the ship carrying the helicopters was sunk by Argentinian Exocets. Which ship carrying the helicopters was sunk?
Answers to Day 4

Next questions soon.

Sqn Ldr B #50 Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

Day 5

1. After the Chinese Civil War, that resulted in the Communist Chinese taking control, the Nationalist Chinese were ousted from power. They withdrew to an island off the coast of China, an island that still claims to be the Republic of China and the legitimate government of China, despite the Peoples' Republic of China claiming sovereignty over the island. Which island is it?
  2. By the end of WW1, David Lloyd George was the British prime minister. But who was the prime minister at the start of WW1?
  3. Which governmental post did Lloyd George hold before he became the prime minister?
  4. In May 1940, Churchill faced a crisis in the Cabinet, with a group of politicians believing Britain should sue for peace rather than fight on. Who was the 'leader', as it were, of those politicians who wanted to sue for peace?
  5. Who were the German and Soviet foreign ministers after whom the pact in 1939 between their two countries was named?
  6. What was the name given to the unification of Austria and Germany in 1938?
  7. German motor torpedo boats during WW2 were often referred to by the British as 'E-Boats', the 'E' standing for 'Enemy'. However, what was the correct name for them?
  8. After Stalin's death in 1953, what was the name of the process by which the new leader Khrushchev intended to remove the 'cult of personality' surrounding Stalin?
  9. What were the names of the two political reform doctrines used by Gorbachev to improve relations with the west during the Cold War?
  10. Which famous American singer sang at the collapse of the Berlin Wall in 1989 as people flooded in from the East to the West?

WidowMaker1711 #51 Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11837 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 03 November 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

Day 5

1. After the Chinese Civil War, that resulted in the Communist Chinese taking control, the Nationalist Chinese were ousted from power. They withdrew to an island off the coast of China, an island that still claims to be the Republic of China and the legitimate government of China, despite the Peoples' Republic of China claiming sovereignty over the island. Which island is it?
  2. By the end of WW1, David Lloyd George was the British prime minister. But who was the prime minister at the start of WW1?
  3. Which governmental post did Lloyd George hold before he became the prime minister?
  4. In May 1940, Churchill faced a crisis in the Cabinet, with a group of politicians believing Britain should sue for peace rather than fight on. Who was the 'leader', as it were, of those politicians who wanted to sue for peace? Anthony Eden
  5. Who were the German and Soviet foreign ministers after whom the pact in 1939 between their two countries was named?
  7. German motor torpedo boats during WW2 were often referred to by the British as 'E-Boats', the 'E' standing for 'Enemy'. However, what was the correct name for them? Schnell Boot
  8. After Stalin's death in 1953, what was the name of the process by which the new leader Khrushchev intended to remove the 'cult of personality' surrounding Stalin?
  9. What were the names of the two political reform doctrines used by Gorbachev to improve relations with the west during the Cold War? Glasnost
  10. Which famous American singer sang at the collapse of the Berlin Wall in 1989 as people flooded in from the East to the West? The Hoff??

For Russ and the Allfather

Sqn Ldr B #52 Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 04 November 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

7 and 10 are correct, as is 9, but you needed two answers for that one.

Metalrodent #53 Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10186 battles
  • [KMD]

I learnt the answers to quite a few of those questions in school and college, but alas I cannot recall off the top of my head.

No.1 is definitely Taiwan though. And the majority of people there would probably claim to be Taiwanese, as there's a lot of resentment of the Chinese invaders

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...sCeAbYa.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...bYa.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>

There’s a mask upon my face
I can’t live without
So you won’t recognize me
When I am in the crowd

Sqn Ldr B #54 Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostMetalrodent, on 04 November 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

I learnt the answers to quite a few of those questions in school and college, but alas I cannot recall off the top of my head.

No.1 is definitely Taiwan though. And the majority of people there would probably claim to be Taiwanese, as there's a lot of resentment of the Chinese invaders

Correct.

Sqn Ldr B #55 Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 03 November 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

Day 5

4. In May 1940, Churchill faced a crisis in the Cabinet, with a group of politicians believing Britain should sue for peace rather than fight on. Who was the 'leader', as it were, of those politicians who wanted to sue for peace?
  7. German motor torpedo boats during WW2 were often referred to by the British as 'E-Boats', the 'E' standing for 'Enemy'. However, what was the correct name for them?
  9. What were the names of the two political reform doctrines used by Gorbachev to improve relations with the west during the Cold War?
  10. Which famous American singer sang at the collapse of the Berlin Wall in 1989 as people flooded in from the East to the West?

Answers

Sqn Ldr B #56 Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:03 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

Day 6

1. What was the RAF's first modern eight-gun fighter aircraft?
  2. What was the name of the German contingent sent to fight in the Spanish Civil War?
  3. Which Balearic island became the subject of invasion during the Spanish Civil War?
  4. Other than Germany, which fascist country funded and aided the Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War?
  5. Which British produced engine did the Ju 87 Stuka first fly with before it received it its Junkers engine?
  6. What part of the aircraft were the Stuka's notorious wailing sirens fitted in?
  7. To the nearest thousand, how many Soviet aircraft were destroyed in the air or on the ground during the first three days alone of Operation Barbarossa? (Bonus points for the exact figure).
  8. Erwin Rommel was the most well known German general during WW2, respected by both his allies and enemies. How did he die?
  9. When allied forces carried out Operation Overlord and the subsequent invasion of Nazi-occupied Europe, Dwight D. Eisenhower was C-in-C of all allied forces in Europe. Who was his deputy, which country was he from and what branch of the armed forces was he from?
  10. Which country did Germany first invade during the time period considered to be WW2?

And some bonus questions by Metalrodent:

1. Which battle in the Far East saw the French defeated and lose their influence in the area?
  2. Which rifle was the standard infantry weapon of British forces from the Boer War until the 1950s, and that saw service in training and ceremonial roles much later? The rifle is still in service today in one capacity or another.
  3. What year did the nation of Germany as it is today form?
  4. What year was Jane Austen born?
  5. And which event began in the same year?

WidowMaker1711 #57 Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11837 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 04 November 2015 - 11:03 PM, said:

Day 6

1. What was the RAF's first modern eight-gun fighter aircraft? Hawker Hurricane
  2. What was the name of the German contingent sent to fight in the Spanish Civil War? Condor/Kondor Legion
  3. Which Balearic island became the subject of invasion during the Spanish Civil War? Majorca
  4. Other than Germany, which fascist country funded and aided the Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War? Italy
  5. Which British produced engine did the Ju 87 Stuka first fly with before it received it its Junkers engine? RR KESTREL
  6. What part of the aircraft were the Stuka's notorious wailing sirens fitted in? Under chin or later on tucked under the cockpit
  7. To the nearest thousand, how many Soviet aircraft were destroyed in the air or on the ground during the first three days alone of Operation Barbarossa? (Bonus points for the exact figure). 12,00
  8. Erwin Rommel was the most well known German general during WW2, respected by both his allies and enemies. How did he die? Enforced Suicide by shooting
  9. When allied forces carried out Operation Overlord and the subsequent invasion of Nazi-occupied Europe, Dwight D. Eisenhower was C-in-C of all allied forces in Europe. Who was his deputy, which country was he from and what branch of the armed forces was he from? Curtiss LeMay USAAF
  10. Which country did Germany first invade during the time period considered to be WW2? Czechoslovakia

And some bonus questions by Metalrodent:

1. Which battle in the Far East saw the French defeated and lose their influence in the area? Phnom Penh?
  2. Which rifle was the standard infantry weapon of British forces from the Boer War until the 1950s, and that saw service in training and ceremonial roles much later? The rifle is still in service today in one capacity or another. SMLE
  3. What year did the nation of Germany as it is today form? 1886
  4. What year was Jane Austen born?
  5. And which event began in the same year?

Sqn Ldr B #58 Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 04 November 2015 - 11:10 PM, said:

1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are correct, the others are off a bit. 1 and 2 of the bonus ones are right.

WidowMaker1711 #59 Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11837 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 05 November 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are correct, the others are off a bit. 1 and 2 of the bonus ones are right.

Im refusing to cheat. Doing it mostly through memory. 

Although as for Jane Austen I will happily claim ignorance after being subjected to Pride and Prejudice at GCSE

Sqn Ldr B #60 Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 05 November 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

Im refusing to cheat. Doing it mostly through memory. 

Although as for Jane Austen I will happily claim ignorance after being subjected to Pride and Prejudice at GCSE

We don't have to do it any more. :trollface: We get the pleasure of Of Mice and Men and The Woman In Black these days.

Also tagged with History, Quiz, Daily

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users