German Tank Ideas- SPGs, Waffentragers and Field Mods (and a bonus "thing")

Tank Ideas German Waffentragers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Sqn Ldr B #1 Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

So, here we are, I haven't put out any new tank ideas recently, mainly due to my only looking in the British sections. So, I expanded to other countries (I know right?) and I started with Germany. I found a plethora of interesting tank destroyers, SPGs, field modifications, a Waffentrager and a "thingy", which I will explain in due course. On with the show then...

Leichter Panzerjager- Tier II Tank Destroyer

This is based on a 1940 project for a Munitionsschlepper, that being an armoured ammunition carrier. Several months after the release of the specification for such a vehicle, a specification won by the VK 302 Borgward, a Panzerjager variant was developed. The first prototype was finished in 1941, armed with a 5cm PaK 38 anti tank gun. The gun was mounted rather high, and the vehicle carried 32 rounds for the gun. Hull armour was around 15mm on the front, 10 on the side and a suggested 20mm on the gun shield. A second prototype was also produced. In August of 1941 these two vehicles were sent to the Eastern Front for field tests. The tank was said to be not good enough against heavy tanks and to not have good enough performance against infantry, so the project was dropped. The full designation for the tank was Panzer Selbstfahrlafette 1a 5cm PaK 38 auf Gepanzerte Munitionsschlepper.

Spoiler

10.5cm LG auf Gepanzarte Munitionsschlepper- Tier II SPG

Here we have a 10,5cm recoilless gun armed version of the above tank. The gun was only a draft, but performance in game can be made similar to the LeFH16/18 seen on the Wespe. The tank was actually designed for Operation Sea Lion, but the cancellation of that operation and the finding that the chassis was too weak for the gun ended the project.

Spoiler

WD Schlepper- Tier II SPG

This was a self propelled gun project developed intermittently between 1920 and 1930 in Germany following the Treaty of Versailles restrictions. In an attempt to get around the ban on tanks, the vehicle was based on the Hanomag WD-50 tractor. The gun, a WW1-era field gun, the 7,7cm FK 96, was mounted amidships, as it were. Allowance for ammunition stowage is not known, but looking at the size of this thing it must have been very little. The gun could fire HE and AT rounds. Should be an interesting little thing. There were also a couple of 3,7cm AT gun armed versions but they would be suicide to play in this game. I mean look at it. That thing's gonna fall apart as soon as it sees an enemy tank. Best left behind the front lines.

Spoiler

5cm PaK 38 L/60 auf Fahrgestell Pz. Kpfw. II (Sf.)- Tier III Tank Destroyer

This, admittedly rather generic looking, thing is a field modification consisting of a 5cm PaK 38 gun, with 62 rounds of ammunition, mounted in an open firing compartment on a Pz. Kpfw. II (Ausf. A/B/C/F) chassis. Whilst it does look very similar to a Marder II, the gun is different and the gun compartment is further forward. Should make for an interesting little thing. Nothing particularly notable if I'm honest though, but it does look quite nice.

Spoiler

7,5cm PaK 40/4 Raupenschlepper 'Ost' (Sf)- Tier V Tank Destroyer

The Raupenschlepper Ost, or RSO for short, was a tracked tractor for general Wehrmacht use towing guns and carrying kit and ammunition around. At one point in 1943, an armed prototype was produced, mounting a PaK 40 gun on the chassis. A flat platform was installed at the back and the gun was placed there, with the standard gun shield. Thus, the tank had very little armour, only 5mm all over. In 1943 60 prototypes were made, and sent for field trials. The tank was said to be good in that it was very small and easily concealed, but that mounting the PaK 40 on the chassis was pushing it to its limits, and it had bad performance on and off the road. However, the units using it deemed it to be useful, and the RSO PaK 40 was ordered into production. Despite the decision to shift Steyr's whole production over to the RSO PaK 40, Steyr never received any specific order to do so, and no more than the 60 pre-production examples were manufactured. I'd say this, as a tier V with preferential matchmaking, seeing only up to tier V (tier VI if it turns out to be too OP), with very, very good camouflage and view range, but no armour and fairly bad mobility, would be a very fun little thing to play.

Spoiler

7,5cm PaK 40/1 (Sf) auf Geschutzwagen 39H (f)- Tier III Tank Destroyer

Now, as we know, Germany captured a whole load of Hotchkiss H39 tanks in 1940 after the fall of France. In 1944, 24 of these had their turrets removed and replaced with a big armoured box containing a PaK 40 AT gun. This modification, along with one on the FCM 36 chassis and the Lorraine Schlepper chassis, were named under the umbrella term of "Marder I". The main difference between this and the in game Marder I (the French one) is the cab being mounted at the back rather than the front. Should be a solid little tier III.

Spoiler

10,5cm LeFH18 (Sf) auf Geschutzwagen 39H (f)- Tier IV SPG

What can I say? Just the same as the above, but with a FH18 105mm gun instead of a PaK 40. Should be a nice tier IV arty.

Spoiler

7,5cm PaK 40/1 auf Geschutzwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f)- Tier III or IV Tank Destroyer

Another one of the Marder I tanks, this time based on the French Lorraine ammunition carrier. Again, mounting a PaK 40, with the firing compartment at the very rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was used exclusively on the Western Front, apart from one unit who used it in Tunisia.

Spoiler

15cm sFH 13/1 auf Geschutzwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f)- Tier V SPG

Again, what can I really say about this? Same as the above mostly, but with a 15cm artillery gun rather than the PaK 40. The only other difference is a slight change in gun mounting and shield design. A nice low tier premium artillery for the Germans in this I think. A version existed with the 105mm LeFH18, but I think this is more suitable.

Spoiler

Waffentrager Ardelt- Tier VII or VIII Tank Destroyer

A design for the Waffentrager concept produced by the Ardelt company, with development beginning in 1942 and the only prototype being finished in 1944. The tank was armed with the 8,8cm PaK 43 L/71, and was captured defending Germany in 1945 by the Soviets. The vehicle now resides at Kubinka museum. This should be a rather interesting thing to add to the ever expanding line of Waffentrager vehicles.

Spoiler

Porsche Typ 245- Tier VI Light Tank

This is the "thing" I mentioned earlier. Looks odd doesn't it? Development of this was started in 1942 by Porsche, but no prototypes were produced by the end of the war. It was intended as a light multipurpose tank, and featured sloped armour all round, a conical turret and was armed with an MK112 55mm gun. 50 rounds of ammunition were to be carried. Top speed was projected at 58 km/h. Armour is listed at 80mm on the front, but that seems a bit wishful for the speed it can do, and I suggest WG use some artistic license when modelling the armour. Whilst not accepted for production, Porsche developed the idea into another draft tank, a tank none other than the E-25. You can probably see the family resemblance. Should be a nice premium scout. Some pretty good gun elevation it's got there too.

Spoiler

So hopefully you like some of the ideas here on my whistle-stop tour of Waffentrager, Field Mods and SPGs, so feel free to leave some feedback on them.

Notes:
The Marder I designs and the 5cm armed Pz. II modification all fill similar places in the tech tree, although only one would be implemented, for obvious reasons. They're all there just to show off the range.

I may attempt to make this into a Waffentrager line at some point, but I might not, depends on how I get on.

Edited by Sqn Ldr B, 04 December 2015 - 09:41 PM.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas

Sqn Ldr B #2 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles
According to a 1/72 Porsche Typ 245 kit, the name of the tank is "Jaguarundi". I have no idea what this means or where it came from, but that's what the box says. Make of it what you will, it sounds cool I guess.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

CookieMan0 #3 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14926 battles
Was expecting Joco3000.

Garage at present: 71 tanks - 14 tier X - 35 premium

Precision Gaming member (B team AF) — follow me on Twitch and YouTube!

3 Marks of Excellence: VK16.02 Leopard, T-54, M103, M41 Bulldog

RPGStylee #4 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14782 battles
The last one looks like a Dalek XD

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Please do it I have slow self-esteem you don't want to hurt my feels do you?

Head Kanonenjagdpanzer sales expert

USSWISCONSIN94 #5 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12203 battles
  • [47R]
Joco? Is that you?

http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?

Sqn Ldr B #6 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostRPGStylee, on 04 December 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

The last one looks like a Dalek XD

They should have a special event one that shouts "EXTERMINATE!" and fires death lasers.

View PostCookieMan0, on 04 December 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

Was expecting Joco3000.

View PostUSSWISCONSIN94, on 04 December 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

Joco? Is that you?

You people are aware I do this quite often? There's a list of them here.

Khor Yserion #7 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14674 battles
  • [IMTLZ]
must contain OCD... can't let the inner grammar nazi win... god dammit Sqn Ldr B, why do you do this to me? :mellow:

Since the dawn of man, unintelligent people have been unable to recognize their own inadequacies, therefore anything that doesn't happen exactly how they imagined it would must be the fault of someone else.

We have come for you, puny humans. Soon the tortured cries of your worthless brethren will fill the air all around you and as the last hour of your pitiful existence draws near you will face the final truth: You will not see a new dawn. There is no peace among the stars, no chosen ones that get spared but only an eternity of pain and slaughter and the mocking laughter of cruel gods.

Sqn Ldr B #8 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostKhor Yserion, on 04 December 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

must contain OCD... can't let the inner grammar nazi win... god dammit Sqn Ldr B, why do you do this to me? :mellow:

What'd I do? Did I miss out the umlaut in Waffentrager again? Oh god no!

Khor Yserion #9 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14674 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 04 December 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

What'd I do? Did I miss out the umlaut in Waffentrager again? Oh god no!

grammar issues, grammar issues everywhere (well not really, but the first thing should be called "Leichter Panzerjäger" (case: singular, masculine) and not "Leichte Panzerjäger" (either singular feminine or plural, gender-unspecific), I just can't get over that, sorry man :( also have some "ääääääää"s for the Waffenträgers and Panzerjägers)

Since the dawn of man, unintelligent people have been unable to recognize their own inadequacies, therefore anything that doesn't happen exactly how they imagined it would must be the fault of someone else.

We have come for you, puny humans. Soon the tortured cries of your worthless brethren will fill the air all around you and as the last hour of your pitiful existence draws near you will face the final truth: You will not see a new dawn. There is no peace among the stars, no chosen ones that get spared but only an eternity of pain and slaughter and the mocking laughter of cruel gods.

Sqn Ldr B #10 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostKhor Yserion, on 04 December 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

grammar issues, grammar issues everywhere (well not really, but the first thing should be called "Leichter Panzerjäger" (case: singular, masculine) and not "Leichte Panzerjäger" (either singular feminine or plural, gender-unspecific), I just can't get over that, sorry man :( also have some "ääääääää"s for the Waffenträgers and Panzerjägers)

Is that it? No English ones then? Basically, my source was translated from Russian on the Leichte® Panzerjager, and I can't be bothered to add in the umlauts, takes too long. I would write "ae" in place of an umlaut but I think "ae" just looks stupid. Either way, as long as there's no English ones I'm not bothered.

Crazedtiger77 #11 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11426 battles
The 5cm Pak Panzer II in particular looks fun but all of these are good! I don't know why they didn't put the Ardelt Waffentrager in the Waffentrager line, it fits that style of gameplay much better than the Emil.

Khor Yserion #12 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14674 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 04 December 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

Is that it? No English ones then? Basically, my source was translated from Russian on the Leichte® Panzerjager, and I can't be bothered to add in the umlauts, takes too long. I would write "ae" in place of an umlaut but I think "ae" just looks stupid. Either way, as long as there's no English ones I'm not bothered.

I know mate, it just bugs me to see my first language get mistreated like that ;) Maybe I should've made it clearer that my comment was more of a joke, my bad

Joco3000 #13 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26890 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostCrazedtiger77, on 04 December 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

The 5cm Pak Panzer II in particular looks fun but all of these are good! I don't know why they didn't put the Ardelt Waffentrager in the Waffentrager line, it fits that style of gameplay much better than the Emil.

I'd rather they put the Ardelt in a separate WT Panzer 38 (d) line.

Anyway, good choices. The recoilless rifle isn't allowed, mind.

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

Sqn Ldr B #14 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostKhor Yserion, on 04 December 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

I know mate, it just bugs me to see my first language get mistreated like that ;) Maybe I should've made it clearer that my comment was more of a joke, my bad

Oh, I see now, no hard feelings.

View PostCrazedtiger77, on 04 December 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

Yeah, and it wouldn't be as terrible as the Sturer Emil either.

View PostJoco3000, on 04 December 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'd rather they put the Ardelt in a separate WT Panzer 38 (d) line.

Anyway, good choices. The recoilless rifle isn't allowed, mind.

Aw. Ah well, that one was more of an added bonus to the 5cm version.

USSWISCONSIN94 #15 Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12203 battles
  • [47R]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 04 December 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

They should have a special event one that shouts "EXTERMINATE!" and fires death lasers.

You people are aware I do this quite often? There's a list of them here.

See Joco do this more tbh. 

http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?

Sqn Ldr B #16 Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostUSSWISCONSIN94, on 04 December 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

I know, I'm one of the less prominent ones.

Joco3000 #17 Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26890 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostUSSWISCONSIN94, on 04 December 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

That's only because of how many I throw out.

There are quite a few others that do it as well, which was one of my original intentions.

Sqn Ldr B #18 Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles
Just out of interest, how many of those I proposed there have you never proposed or never actually seen before?

Joco3000 #19 Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26890 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 04 December 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Just out of interest, how many of those I proposed there have you never proposed or never actually seen before?

Never seen? None.

Never proposed? Three or four. I like using pictures and I can never remember the names of these stupid things.

Sqn Ldr B #20 Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostJoco3000, on 04 December 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

Never seen? None.

Never proposed? Three or four. I like using pictures and I can never remember the names of these stupid things.

Okay I'm happy with my work then. (I remember I had you stumped with that FV205 a while back though). :P

Also tagged with Tank Ideas, German, Waffentragers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users