New Soviet Tanks- Projects, Proposals and Prototypes

Soviet Tanks New Ideas

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Sqn Ldr B #1 Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

I've done a bit more digging and I've found a good few interesting Russian tanks that only existed in design or proposal form or as a prototype.

Object 115- Tier IV Medium Tank

This is a paper proposal for a medium tank, armed with a 76.2mm L-10 gun. Armour is given as a up to 60mm on the turret front, 50 on the hull front and about 40 on the sides. The design was weighed in at 40 (metric) tonnes. Speed is said to have been as much as 40 km/h but with that armour I'd call this wishful thinking. I'd make it a tier IV medium, since it has a gun which is, I assume, fairly similar in performance to that seen on the T-28. You can have it in single or multi turret flavours. The single turret version has some nice sloped armour round the front.

Spoiler

Object 116- Tier III Light Tank

A paper proposal for a light tank, this was armed with a 37mm gun, and had a maximum of 15mm of armour, with a minimum of 8 on the top and bottom. The design used an engine generating 270 hp that was able to give a speed of about 70 km/h, so it wouldn't exactly be slow.

Spoiler

CT-26- Tier II Light Tank

Now, this was a design for a wheeled tank. But, I hear you say, "we can't have wheeled tanks". Well, this tank could run on tracks too. Think T7 Combat Car running gear design. Armament was the 45mm 20K, a gun seen in game on everything from the tier II BT-2 to the tier IV Valentine II, and maybe also on the MS-1, but I can't recall. Armour was 15mm on the front and 10mm on the sides and rear. The tank had a top speed of 37 km/h when running on its tracks. 34 rounds of ammunition were carried. What this could be is a Soviet equivalent to the T7 Car with a bigger gun and less speed.

Spoiler

STZ-5/T-26- Tier II Light Tank

Now, when you see this thing, you will laugh. This was a field modification made by, I think, the Ukrainian Insurgent Army, a partisan group. This was based on the ungainly looking STZ-5 field tractor, on top of which appears to have been mounted the entire turret and hull, minus running gear, of a T-26 light tank. The result looks completely ridiculous. The tank was armed with the 45mm 20K and had a maximum of 15mm of armour. Now, needless to say, this was VERY slow. Top speed was 10 km/h, making it the slowest tank in the game if it was implemented. It probably wouldn't be very good, but it's a funny thing to have.

Spoiler

SAU Putilovets- Tier III SPG

This appears to be a modification of a T-26 tank made at the Putilovets factory, mounting a 76.2mm L-5 gun in a big turret. Unfortunately I'm not too sure of the existence of this, since all I found was a drawing. But hopefully it was real, since it looks cool.

Spoiler

Light Tank "Wammen"- Tier III Light Tank

To be quite honest, I have no idea what this is really. It appears to have been made by tank designers at a place called Wammen, and was apparently based partially on a Pz. III the Soviets got hold of during the invasion of Poland. The gun was a 45mm 20K and the running gear looks a lot like a T-70's. Speed and armour is unknown.

Spoiler

T-1001 or T-1002- Tier III Heavy Tank

A design for a heavy tank, armed with yet another 76mm gun, this time an A-19 one. 94 rounds of ammunition were to be carried. The design started in 1931 and was superseded by the T-35. I say it should be a tier III heavy because maximum armour thickness is 20mm on the turret front. I gave two names, the T-1001 and the T-1002. The T-1001 has a more conventional running gear (first picture) whereas the T-1002 has some more interesting looking running gear. The designs were also called TA-1 and TA-2 respectively if you want a different name.

Spoiler

GUVP- Tier II Heavy Tank

Now, I know what you're thinking, a tier II heavy? Well, this thing is huge. And it's armour is only about 22mm on the front, so it's not very well armoured either. The design was influenced in part by French tank designs and the British Whippet tanks. The gun was yet another short barrelled 76mm.

Spoiler

SU-7- Tier VIII SPG

This was a design for a big SPG in 1934, and it looks to be based on a T-35 hull, but I'm not sure on that. The gun was the 203mm B-4, or, alternatively, an even bigger 305mm gun, bit I think that's a bit too big. Should be a fairly generic high tier Russian artillery really.

Spoiler

SU-76BM- Tier IV Tank Destroyer

A tank destroyer armed with a 76.2mm S-54 gun based on the chassis of the T-80. The tank bears more than a passing resemblance to the SU-76I. Oddly enough, in the course of researching this, I stumbled across a PC leaked supertest icon for it, so something may be in the works, who knows? It looks pretty nice to me.

Spoiler

So let me know what you think of these rather interesting things.

Edited by Sqn Ldr B, 05 December 2015 - 01:41 PM.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Click For a Compilation of My Ideas

Turboclicker #2 Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22110 battles
I'm never against new tanks that are historical, (or even a very well done fake), but the Soviets probably don't need more tanks, along with the Germans and Americans.

Sqn Ldr B #3 Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostTurboclicker, on 05 December 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

I'm never against new tanks that are historical, (or even a very well done fake), but the Soviets probably don't need more tanks, along with the Germans and Americans.

Yeah, the Soviets don't need anything else really. I was going through my sources as I finally expand to other countries different to Britain, and after some German TDs I did yesterday (you'll find the link in my compilation thread in my sig), I went for the Russians, since they just have an abundance of tanks. This was only the product of scrolling through the prototype section. There's a lot more possible ones, but I'll leave that for a while.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ~ Cecil Rhodes

Joco3000 #4 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26887 battles
  • [JOCO]

Now, that T100.

If I'm guessing correctly, that's an early design for the T-22, which saw a prototype.

Only the top "turret" is actually a turret. The 76mm is a fixed mounting.

At least, that's the case in the T-22. The earlier designs might have been different.

Also, that 76mm T-26 looks similar to the T-26-4.

Might have been a related project or something.

The CT-26 looks like a T-46, by the way.

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

Sqn Ldr B #5 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostJoco3000, on 05 December 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

Also, that 76mm T-26 looks similar to the T-26-4.

Might have been a related project or something.

The CT-26 looks like a T-46, by the way.

I think there were a large number of different T-26 76mm field and factory mods in the besieged cities and wherever else. I can think of, off the top of my head, the Putilovets one in my post, the T-26-4 you posted, the one with the more cylindrical turret seen in War Thunder, the thing known as the SU-26 in this game, and the AT-1. I'm sure there are more.

As for the CT-26, my source says it's a T-26 hull. There is a bit of similarity between the CT-26 and the T-46, you're right, but it looks more like a T-26 one to me.

Joco3000 #6 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26887 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 05 December 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

I think there were a large number of different T-26 76mm field and factory mods in the besieged cities and wherever else. I can think of, off the top of my head, the Putilovets one in my post, the T-26-4 you posted, the one with the more cylindrical turret seen in War Thunder, the thing known as the SU-26 in this game, and the AT-1. I'm sure there are more.

As for the CT-26, my source says it's a T-26 hull. There is a bit of similarity between the CT-26 and the T-46, you're right, but it looks more like a T-26 one to me.

I honestly cannot find anything about the CT-26.

It is different from the T-46, looking at that vehicle. Not the hull, mind.

Spoiler

The hull is largely the same, as can be seen by the last surviving T-46.

Anyway, there's also the T-46-5, which is again entirely different.

Spoiler

Also, that mystery light tank is a T-30.

Spoiler

Also also, I found you another 76mm equipped T-26 (The SU-6) whilst trying to look for the CT-26.

Spoiler

No T-29 though? Shame.

Sqn Ldr B #7 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostJoco3000, on 05 December 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

I honestly cannot find anything about the CT-26.

It is different from the T-46, looking at that vehicle. Not the hull, mind.

Spoiler

The hull is largely the same, as can be seen by the last surviving T-46.

Anyway, there's also the T-46-5, which is again entirely different.

Spoiler

Also, that mystery light tank is a T-30.

Spoiler

Also also, I found you another 76mm equipped T-26 (The SU-6) whilst trying to look for the CT-26.

Spoiler

No T-29 though? Shame.

Get yer' own thread. :P

I hadn't put the T-29 in because I was going through only the proposal/prototype section and the T-29 was in the medium tank category.

Source for the CT-26:
http://www.aviarmor..../ussr/kt-26.htm

TKoddaL33 #8 Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23775 battles
Would like to have them. Plus, PC will be getting Czech mediums, similar to the German Leopard line and they look nice too. Jingles just posted up a video about them.

"SPEED IS THE ESSENCE OF WAR" - Sun Tzu

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists." - Nikola Telsa

Sqn Ldr B #9 Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles
Any more thoughts?

MadCat1993 #10 Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:25 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 14250 battles
Those are pretty cool. Anything higher up in rank for Russian tanks?

leova #11 Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:57 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11380 battles
  • [47R]

i love all of these, especially the T2 heavy and the T-100-1 as well as the CT-26 and Obj116

since they are soviet perhaps they can get an "integration bias"? :D:D

I3iggus Nickus #12 Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:08 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34187 battles
  • [ACES]
Great Ideas Joco!

​Member of the Senior Technical Engineer Club [ACES] Armoured Aces "Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny"

1: A leap of faith. An unproveable belief in a reality beyond this world. 2: suicide. Escaping a pointless existence. 3: acceptance of an Absurd existence, and the freedom that comes with creating your own meaning.

"He who snipes snipers, runs the risk of becoming the sniper himself. If you gaze into the scope, the scope gazes back"

PLK180W #13 Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

Trouble is, every time Moscow put out a specification for a new tank, nearly every factory put out a proposal to fill it.

Some of these are pretty interesting designs, and I loved that partisan built tank,  but there are too many low tier Premiums for some Nations, but it seems no effort has been made for others. It's especially galling that the tank on offer this week is another low tier Soviet Premium which was originally a British Tank!

But where some a variants or conversions of existing models, (such as the Putolovics T-26),  how about including them as optional "bonus upgrades" when you Elite a tank? 

As for the tier II heavy - love it!

The object 115 with the auxiliary turret looks pretty interesting as do the TA- 1 and TA- 2.

Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

Sqn Ldr B #14 Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostNicholas Sapien, on 06 December 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

Great Ideas Joco!

I ain't Joco.

View PostPLK180W, on 06 December 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

Trouble is, every time Moscow put out a specification for a new tank, nearly every factory put out a proposal to fill it.

Some of these are pretty interesting designs, and I loved that partisan built tank,  but there are too many low tier Premiums for some Nations, but it seems no effort has been made for others. It's especially galling that the tank on offer this week is another low tier Soviet Premium which was originally a British Tank!

But where some a variants or conversions of existing models, (such as the Putolovics T-26),  how about including them as optional "bonus upgrades" when you Elite a tank? 

As for the tier II heavy - love it!

The object 115 with the auxiliary turret looks pretty interesting as do the TA- 1 and TA- 2.

Yeah, some of the factory modifications for the T-26 might be better suited as package upgrades, but I'd say WG would make them a whole new premium tank to get money. I'd still prefer the artillery T-26s as upgrades though. 

As for the Tetrarch, don't even get me started on the bloody thing. I want a proper British tech tree one, with 2 Pdr, Littlejohn adapter and 3'' gun versions.

View Postx1stFWxCRAZYCAT, on 06 December 2015 - 06:25 AM, said:

Those are pretty cool. Anything higher up in rank for Russian tanks?

There might be a few for higher tiers, I'll have a dig around.

Metalrodent #15 Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10186 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 05 December 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

But, I hear you say, "we can't have wheeled tanks". Well, this tank could run on tracks too.

Actually, I noticed just yesterday that the Lorraine 155 has tyres on it. However it does still have tracks.

318px-Lorraine155_02_Prototype_n%C2%B0_2

Anyway, some nice suggestions here

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...sCeAbYa.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...bYa.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>

There’s a mask upon my face
I can’t live without
So you won’t recognize me
When I am in the crowd

Sqn Ldr B #16 Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostMetalrodent, on 06 December 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Actually, I noticed just yesterday that the Lorraine 155 has tyres on it. However it does still have tracks.

318px-Lorraine155_02_Prototype_n%C2%B0_2

Anyway, some nice suggestions here

Interesting find, I hadn't noticed that.

Joco3000 #17 Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26887 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 06 December 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

Interesting find, I hadn't noticed that.

All the Lorraine 40t variants are line that.

The tyres allow for a smoother ride than would otherwise be possible. I believe they are also run-flat.

It can't actually run on the tyres, mind. It's not Christie suspension.

Anyway, here is the Lorraine Canon D'Assaut as a comparison.

And by the way, you want that tank. Trust me.

Sqn Ldr B #18 Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6141 battles

View PostJoco3000, on 06 December 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

All the Lorraine 40t variants are line that.

The tyres allow for a smoother ride than would otherwise be possible. I believe they are also run-flat.

It can't actually run on the tyres, mind. It's not Christie suspension.

Anyway, here is the Lorraine Canon D'Assaut as a comparison.

And by the way, you want that tank. Trust me.

But I don't like French tanks.

Edited by Sqn Ldr B, 06 December 2015 - 12:58 PM.

Joco3000 #19 Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26887 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 06 December 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

That's because you're from England, albeit the north.

Trust me, it's a blue E-25 with a 100mm or a 90mm DCA 45. With about the same HP/ton.

PLK180W #20 Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View PostSqn Ldr B, on 06 December 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Yeah, I have trouble with tanks that have more reverse gears then forwards.
Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users