X1thebeast29X #16741 Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12556 battles
  • [AVRG]
:trollface::arta: EZ

Shockingly Average Treasurer, Keeper of the Monies

Block Quote

Less experienced and new players are ment for lower tier tanks? You sound like an elitist [edited]

Damn Elitists

LifeTilts #16742 Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 34007 battles
  • [TILTS]

View PostBuilder3rd, on 19 March 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

I still can't bring myself to play that dumb Bishop to get to Bert.

The Bishop is quite nice, why is everyone hating on it?

My Twitch Channel Mon, Wed, Fri 4-7+pm GMT / 11am-2+pm EST // Sat, Sun Random Times

Solo gameplay, Tank requests (260+ tanks), No premium spam and Giveaways

X1thebeast29X #16743 Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12556 battles
  • [AVRG]

View PostLifeTilts, on 19 March 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

The Bishop is quite nice, why is everyone hating on it?

Mobility was ugh tbh

Block Quote

Less experienced and new players are ment for lower tier tanks? You sound like an elitist [edited]

Damn Elitists

SteelTiiTan #16744 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12032 battles
  • [IMTLS]
Friendly reminder arty is the worst part of the game

TrickyJaguar6 #16745 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:00 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4341 battles
  • [AMUCK]

View PostX1thebeast29X, on 19 March 2017 - 10:38 PM, said:

Mobility was ugh tbh

Worse than the gw tiger p?  I don't have the bishop, just wondering how it compares

MockCrescent323 #16746 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5904 battles
just dropping by to say arty sucks. It is one of the worst tings about this game along with rng and the idiot playerbase

X1thebeast29X #16747 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Major

• Players
  • 12556 battles
  • [AVRG]

View PostTrickyJaguar6, on 20 March 2017 - 01:00 AM, said:

Worse than the gw tiger p?  I don't have the bishop, just wondering how it compares

Never played the gw so couldn't tell ya.

Block Quote

Damn Elitists

idfgeneral #16748 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 6968 battles
  • [FU]

View PostManitoba 01, on 17 March 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Nice post idf, but I must say, I disagree with pretty much all of it.

To address your three bullet points first of all.

• There are plenty of tanks capable of one-shotting vehicles other than arty, I've one-shotted more tanks in my TDs than I have in any of my Arty and have played them considerably less.

• Having more than three Arty on each side is a rarity and really doesn't need to be addressed. I've played battles with eight or more TDs per side and they have been tedious as hell, but no one seems to moan about those too much.

• Your last bullet point is nothing more than a simple explanation of what Arty is.

And I agree with ArtyharHar, the changes you suggest would probably be for the worse, not better.

As for your comment on respecting team mates and only focusing on damage as opposed to kills, well I'm sorry idf, but I too like to have fun whilst playing this game and killing tanks is fun. I don't see how it is in any way exclusive to every other class except Arty.

Never forget, the only real reason people complain about Arty on this forum comes down to getting hit by something they cannot see or retaliate directly with, and has been the basis of every little petty grievance on this forum since.

Well done on 15k battles in Arty btw. Respect.

+1 Thank you for the constructive feedback and your point of view.

Please note that IMO, no in-game vehicle (SPG or not) should be able to one shot another vehicle. Please note that I one shoot many players every night (rarely, even 2-3 a game for full HP). I was in a top tier match yesterday with 5v5 SPGs. Although it is a rarity, having more than 1 in game decreases the chances for players to take cover with cross fire. Having only one allows players to adjust and take cover (if not one-shot). Having SPG lit when firing on a .5-1km maps will require SPGs to be more mobile and actually use their engine and tracks.

Ruthless4u #16749 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 11170 battles
  • [SKREB]

View Postidfgeneral, on 20 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

+1 Thank you for the constructive feedback and your point of view.

Please note that IMO, no in-game vehicle (SPG or not) should be able to one shot another vehicle. Please note that I one shoot many players every night (rarely, even 2-3 a game for full HP). I was in a top tier match yesterday with 5v5 SPGs. Although it is a rarity, having more than 1 in game decreases the chances for players to take cover with cross fire. Having only one allows players to adjust and take cover (if not one-shot). Having SPG lit when firing on a .5-1km maps will require SPGs to be more mobile and actually use their engine and tracks.

There should be exceptions to the non one shot rule, such as fail platooned vehicles. A tier 4 or 5 should be one shotted by a tier 10.

Also any open topped vehicle should be able to get one shotted if an HE shell to the crew compartment,

Equality is a myth.

In order to ensure rights for one, you must destroy rights of another.

Keep calm and wait for Naval Action.

giaka #16750 Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 32965 battles
  • [WTAF]

I bought a new toy last night. First game with a 75% crew and only 6th sense. This is gonna get stupid.  LOL

Don't cap, get off the pole and hunt down the last losers......

ArtyHarHar #16751 Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16842 battles

View Postgiaka, on 21 March 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

I bought a new toy last night. First game with a 75% crew and only 6th sense. This is gonna get stupid.  LOL

​Feast or famine in that thing all depending on how long your team lets you live.  Make your every shot count like it was the last one you will get :)​   And enjoy the bombardier medals.

KillerDNA #16752 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29199 battles
  • [LIGHT]

View Postgiaka, on 21 March 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

man... this is your typical average game in the CGC. The GwE struggles to pull those numbers. I got it pimped out and it will push 2-3k each match because of stupid misses. There are plenty of times when an M40/43 will out damage me with equal or fewer shots. Every 10 or so games it will push out over 4k damage but those games are usually losses as well.

GwE really needs a buff. In both accuracy and AP penetration.

Lycan T71 ** (Dot Dot Slash) / Cruiser Mk.II (Matilda Crusher) / Spähpanzer Ru 251 *** (Sucker Punch) / ELC AMX *** (Spider Ninji)

KV-2 ** (I'm a Derpaholic) / GwE-100 *** (Mighty Mammut) / FV304 *** (BERT the Daredevil) / S-51 *** (Finger of Death)

Light Tank Master Race 

giaka #16753 Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Major

• Supertester
  • 32965 battles
  • [WTAF]

View PostKillerDNA, on 21 March 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

man... this is your typical average game in the CGC. The GwE struggles to pull those numbers. I got it pimped out and it will push 2-3k each match because of stupid misses. There are plenty of times when an M40/43 will out damage me with equal or fewer shots. Every 10 or so games it will push out over 4k damage but those games are usually losses as well.

GwE really needs a buff. In both accuracy and AP penetration.

GWE was my first tier X.  It really is a bad arty in need of something.

Don't cap, get off the pole and hunt down the last losers......

Rouge Baron #16754 Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 18158 battles
  • [47R]
The only reason I went for G.W. E100 is that it looked pretty.

If the enemy is in range, so are you! - Murphy's Law of War.

themightyhobb #16755 Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3124 battles

I just reached my 1 year anniversary of playing the game, and at this point I almost exclusively play Arty. I kind of like light tanks too, and I kind of liked the M4, but I don't do so well with anything except arty.

The main thing I like about playing Arty is being a support player. I enjoy helping out other players and I feel like that's what playing Arty is all about. If I see one of my teammates in trouble, I'll try and either soften up his opponent, or maybe whack another opponent I see circling around to engage him. I'll also look where there's a heavy firefight going on and try to soften up the opposition, or hopefully tracking them when they poke their nose out to hit my teammates. Any time a teammate requests fire on a target, I try to direct my fire that way since they are in the thick of it.

The game play aspect that I like most (and at times is extremely frustrating) about artillery is the prediction and timing of when and where to shoot. When the shots sometimes take 3-4 sec to hit after you pull the trigger, sometimes I'm leading the target by as much as 10-15 tank-lengths and hoping I guessed right. I know it sucks for a light tank that's zipping around the map to get whacked by artillery, and I feel sorry for opponents that gets one-shotted, but actually landing such a difficult shot because I predicted correctly is a thrill any time it happens - especially when they're circling a teammate who can't land a shot on them and is clearly in trouble. Saving a teammate from certain death feels awesome.

The things that frustrate me the most are:

Having my sights on a stationary target waiting for my gun to reload, then finally shooting only to have the opponent start moving the instant I pulled the trigger. Good for them but... Argh!

Having my sights on a stationary target waiting for my gun to reload, the hit zone as tight as it can possibly be, the target perfectly lined up, I shoot, and the shot misses. And then it happens again. And again. Curse you RNG!

Moving my sights to an enemy that just appeared on my scope, only to have him vanish just as I get my targeting area over there. Then moving it to the next enemy only to have that one disappear. And the next...Makes me want to scream "Come on guys! Keep eyes on him just a second or two more!"

Following a target, waiting for my reticle to tighten, it's almost tight enough...it's almost tight enough, There!, and the target has moved behind a hill or building. Even worse is when I shoot the instant the enemy passes into an unhittable area.

A firefight happening where if my allies just backed up a little bit and made the enemy come forward just a tank length or two, I could shoot at them, but which is too far away for me to reposition for the shot.

I almost always lead my sights ahead of our light tanks to whack the first opponent they see, it frustrates me when they charge ahead and engage the first opponent(s) they see, or try and rush past trying to get Arty kills. I want to scream "Get out of there you fool! I need you!"

When I hate the map I'm about to play in. Ensk, Himmelsdorf, Widepark, and Dragon Ridge I particularly dislike, especially when I'm in a bad deployment side - like the north side of Widepark. There seems to be no place to hide effectively and still be able to shoot, I'm always found quickly and die whenever I'm depoloyed on the north side.

I haven't played every artillery piece in the game, but my favorite so far is the American M44. Pretty much the best all around artillery I've used - wide turret traversal, relatively quick reload, relatively tight reticle, hits hard, it drives fairly quick, and nearly every game generates lots of silver.

I'm liking the M55 (still working on getting the Tier X) but disliking how much silver it costs to play - win or lose only about 30% of the time I end up with a positive balance at the end of the battle and that's very annoying to me.

I also enjoyed playing the British Birch Gun a lot, and I liked FV304. I did very well with the French AMX 105 AM (my highest ever kill count was with it at 7 kills) but I wouldn't count it in my favorites to play - I don't like its short range.

The M12 and M40/M43 were a miserable grind though. I really disliked those SPGs. They hit pretty hard but the traversal was terrible, they were slow to move, terrible in terms of silver cost like the M55, and the load times were horrendous. I'd only get maybe 4-5 shots off in a game. Not fun to play at all, especially when your missions are things like "Score 10 penetrating hits" - impossible when you can't get that many shots off in a game.

I can't say I'm enjoying the higher tier combat (VIII,IX,X) as much as I like the Tier V,VI,VII fights. It seems like more often than not the battle results are more lopsided. One game I played just last night, our team didn't lose any tanks - it was one of the worst spankings I've seen. I hate games like that, especially playing as artillery where it's clear my team doesn't need my help - feels like every shot I take is just helping put my opponents out of their misery, just icing on the crappy cake.

I understand why people hate on artys, getting hit from across the map is annoying, and getting one-shotted is particularly annoying (and playing artillery, that's 75% of the time for us), but I think the idea that it's "camping" or "not playing the game" or "being able to shoot from safety" is misguided and/or misinformed. 

1) It is not camping. It is playing a different game in terms of strategy and skill, but more importantly, artillery is a vital component of teamwork. It is a support role - you're not hiding, lying in wait to ambush some poor soul who wanders into your sights, you're directing your attention to areas around your teammates to support their efforts. I rely on my teammates to spot my targets and to protect me, and in turn I try to protect them and help them as they advance. In nearly all battles, I have to re-position to hit areas I couldn't hit before, run from enemies that I know are approaching, and often work hard to stay hidden. When we're detected, more often than not it's a death sentence. We can't outrun most tanks, and we're target priority #1 for enemy artillery. We are an easy kill, if you can find us, and you usually know roughly where we are.

2) It is playing the game. In fact, it is an important part of the game. Beyond the teamwork building aspects, it is also a very important deterrent to fighting static, stagnant battles. Sit still for too long and you will likely get whacked. Think of it as an anti-camping measure of the game and influencing non-artillery to get moving and fighting. Without it, I expect you'd see a lot more true camping going on.

3) Being able to shoot from safety - there is little safety when playing artillery. My level of safety when I'm playing artillery is not from shooting from a hidden position. Artillery can see when and where enemy artillery shoots if you know where to look. More often than not, I move at least a little bit after every shot I take, knowing that I can be pinpointed every time I shoot. I frequently take out at least one enemy artillery in the first minute of the battle this way (and it sucks when I'm taken out that way too). This isn't as easy as hitting a spotted target, but it does work to hit tanks that I can't directly see as well.

My main source of safety comes from my teammates providing an effective screen. If my team does not hang one or two people back to help protect me, overextends or goes charging off in only one direction, it will allow the enemy to waltz right in and take me out. I've had many,many games where a light tank ran right through our back ranks unopposed and wiped me out before I could even get a shot off. It's almost a guarantee that when that happens we'll lose the battle. At least 80% of the games I play in, I end up dying, and frequently I'm only one of the 3-4 players that die on my side. When just about anything can one-shot you in the game, there is no safety except by being careful and relying on your teammates to protect you, and I don't see the promotion of teamwork as a bad game mechanic.

It is real easy to make yourself a difficult target for artillery to hit. You have to keep moving, back and forth, moving in serpentine or circular patterns, hugging hills or buildings, etc. If you're doing that, any artillery hit on you involved either a great deal of skill or a great deal of luck. Respect the skill it took, and don't be mad at bad luck as it happens to everyone.

Edited by themightyhobb, 22 March 2017 - 11:02 PM.

Gigantic Owl #16756 Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20943 battles
  • [7F]

View Postthemightyhobb, on 22 March 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

I just reached my 1 year anniversary of playing the game, and at this point I almost exclusively play Arty. I kind of like light tanks too, and I kind of liked the M4, but I don't do so well with anything except arty.

The main thing I like about playing Arty is being a support player. I enjoy helping out other players and I feel like that's what playing Arty is all about. If I see one of my teammates in trouble, I'll try and either soften up his opponent, or maybe whack another opponent I see circling around to engage him. I'll also look where there's a heavy firefight going on and try to soften up the opposition, or hopefully tracking them when they poke their nose out to hit my teammates. Any time a teammate requests fire on a target, I try to direct my fire that way since they are in the thick of it.

The game play aspect that I like most (and at times is extremely frustrating) about artillery is the prediction and timing of when and where to shoot. When the shots sometimes take 3-4 sec to hit after you pull the trigger, sometimes I'm leading the target by as much as 10-15 tank-lengths and hoping I guessed right. I know it sucks for a light tank that's zipping around the map to get whacked by artillery, and I feel sorry for opponents that gets one-shotted, but actually landing such a difficult shot because I predicted correctly is a thrill any time it happens - especially when they're circling a teammate who can't land a shot on them and is clearly in trouble. Saving a teammate from certain death feels awesome.

The things that frustrate me the most are:

Having my sights on a stationary target waiting for my gun to reload, then finally shooting only to have the opponent start moving the instant I pulled the trigger. Good for them but... Argh!

Having my sights on a stationary target waiting for my gun to reload, the hit zone as tight as it can possibly be, the target perfectly lined up, I shoot, and the shot misses. And then it happens again. And again. Curse you RNG!

Moving my sights to an enemy that just appeared on my scope, only to have him vanish just as I get my targeting area over there. Then moving it to the next enemy only to have that one disappear. And the next...Makes me want to scream "Come on guys! Keep eyes on him just a second or two more!"

Following a target, waiting for my reticle to tighten, it's almost tight enough...it's almost tight enough, There!, and the target has moved behind a hill or building. Even worse is when I shoot the instant the enemy passes into an unhittable area.

A firefight happening where if my allies just backed up a little bit and made the enemy come forward just a tank length or two, I could shoot at them, but which is too far away for me to reposition for the shot.

I almost always lead my sights ahead of our light tanks to whack the first opponent they see, it frustrates me when they charge ahead and engage the first opponent(s) they see, or try and rush past trying to get Arty kills. I want to scream "Get out of there you fool! I need you!"

When I hate the map I'm about to play in. Ensk, Himmelsdorf, Widepark, and Dragon Ridge I particularly dislike, especially when I'm in a bad deployment side - like the north side of Widepark. There seems to be no place to hide effectively and still be able to shoot, I'm always found quickly and die whenever I'm depoloyed on the north side.

I haven't played every artillery piece in the game, but my favorite so far is the American M44. Pretty much the best all around artillery I've used - wide turret traversal, relatively quick reload, relatively tight reticle, hits hard, it drives fairly quick, and nearly every game generates lots of silver.

I'm liking the M55 (still working on getting the Tier X) but disliking how much silver it costs to play - win or lose only about 30% of the time I end up with a positive balance at the end of the battle and that's very annoying to me.

I also enjoyed playing the British Birch Gun a lot, and I liked FV304. I did very well with the French AMX 105 AM (my highest ever kill count was with it at 7 kills) but I wouldn't count it in my favorites to play - I don't like it's short range.

The M12 and M40/M43 were a miserable grind though. I really disliked those SPGs. They hit pretty hard but the traversal was terrible, they were slow to move, terrible in terms of silver cost like the M55, and the load times were horrendous. I'd only get maybe 4-5 shots off in a game. Not fun to play at all, especially when your missions are things like "Score 10 penetrating hits" - impossible when you can't get that many shots off in a game.

I can't say I'm enjoying the higher tier combat (VIII,IX,X) as much as I like the Tier V,VI,VII fights. It seems like more often than not the battle results are more lopsided. One game I played just last night, our team didn't lose any tanks - it was one of the worst spankings I've seen. I hate games like that, especially playing as artillery where it's clear my team doesn't need my help - feels like every shot I take is just helping put my opponents out of their misery, just icing on the crappy cake.

I understand why people hate on artys, getting hit from across the map is annoying, and getting one-shotted is particularly annoying (and playing artillery, that's 75% of the time for us), but I think the idea that it's "camping" or "not playing the game" or "being able to shoot from safety" is misguided and/or misinformed. 

1) It is not camping. It is playing a different game in terms of strategy and skill, but more importantly, artillery is a vital component of teamwork. It is a support role - you're not hiding, lying in wait to ambush some poor soul who wanders into your sights, you're directing your attention to areas around your teammates to support their efforts. I rely on my teammates to spot my targets and to protect me, and in turn I try to protect them and help them as they advance. In nearly all battles, I have to re-position to hit areas I couldn't hit before, run from enemies that I know are approaching, and often work hard to stay hidden. When we're detected, more often than not it's a death sentence. We can't outrun most tanks, and we're target priority #1 for enemy artillery. We are an easy kill, if you can find us, and you usually know roughly where we are.

2) It is playing the game. In fact, it is an important part of the game. Beyond the teamwork building aspects, it is also a very important deterrent to fighting static, stagnant battles. Sit still for too long and you will likely get whacked. Think of it as an anti-camping measure of the game and influencing non-artillery to get moving and fighting. Without it, I expect you'd see a lot more true camping going on.

3) Being able to shoot from safety - there is little safety when playing artillery. My level of safety when I'm playing artillery is not from shooting from a hidden position. Artillery can see when and where enemy artillery shoots if you know where to look. More often than not, I move at least a little bit after every shot I take, knowing that I can be pinpointed every time I shoot. I frequently take out at least one enemy artillery in the first minute of the battle this way (and it sucks when I'm taken out that way too). This isn't as easy as hitting a spotted target, but it does work to hit tanks that I can't directly see as well.

My main source of safety comes from my teammates providing an effective screen. If my team does not hang one or two people back to help protect me, overextends or goes charging off in only one direction, it will allow the enemy to waltz right in and take me out. I've had many,many games where a light tank ran right through our back ranks unopposed and wiped me out before I could even get a shot off. It's almost a guarantee that when that happens we'll lose the battle. At least 80% of the games I play in, I end up dying, and frequently I'm only one of the 3-4 players that die on my side. When just about anything can one-shot you in the game, there is no safety except by being careful and relying on your teammates to protect you, and I don't see the promotion of teamwork as a bad game mechanic.

It is real easy to make yourself a difficult target for artillery to hit. You have to keep moving, back and forth, moving in serpentine or circular patterns, hugging hills or buildings, etc. If you're doing that, any artillery hit on you involved either a great deal of skill or a great deal of luck. Respect the skill it took, and don't be mad at bad luck as it happens to everyone.

Lol saying arty takes any skill. Good joke

An actual gameplay expert

Check out my guides on the bunker.  http://thebunker.fre...ide-compilation

Ruthless4u #16757 Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 11170 battles
  • [SKREB]

View PostGigantic Owl, on 22 March 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

Lol saying arty takes any skill. Good joke

Acting like you have any, better joke:trollface:

Sorry Owl, couldn't resist lol.

Equality is a myth.

Gigantic Owl #16758 Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20943 battles
  • [7F]

View PostRuthless4u, on 22 March 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

Acting like you have any, better joke:trollface:

Sorry Owl, couldn't resist lol.

But I don't have any "arty skill" I just point and click from spawn yet magically do better then 95% of the playerbase in arty. Shows how truly awful the playerbase of this game is.

An actual gameplay expert

Check out my guides on the bunker.  http://thebunker.fre...ide-compilation

Ruthless4u #16759 Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 11170 battles
  • [SKREB]

View PostGigantic Owl, on 22 March 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

But I don't have any "arty skill" I just point and click from spawn yet magically do better then 95% of the playerbase in arty. Shows how truly awful the playerbase of this game is.

I think it shows how bad the game itself is, not just the playerbase.

Maybe a seperate stat page that excludes everything done in arty. Would be interesting.

Equality is a myth.

Corporal Derpy #16760 Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16596 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostRuthless4u, on 22 March 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Maybe a seperate stat page that excludes everything done in arty. Would be interesting.

Those exist already.

Just look for the players with 90% or more of their battles in Tier I.

Garage : 

'Imagine if this forum had only players who actually win more than lose trying to tell others how to play. Would be the best forum ever. Instead, we have a bunch of morons who lose more often than not trying to tell their betters how to play their tanks.'

'The term "casual gamer" is actually not accurate enough anymore to describe what the larger market is like. They want the illusion of accomplishment, but not the effort associated with it. The players aren't really doing anything, something else is doing it for them, and the player takes the credit for it.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users