A Guide to the Light Tank Contest

contest guides light tank

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Schneller WGA #1 Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles

World of Tanks for PS4 is finally here (yaaay!) and with that we welcomed a lot of new players. 
With that in mind, we want to ask you, skilled and accomplished tank commander, to help them become an ace tanker in the battlefield.

Your task for this contest is to write a simple tutorial on how to play with Light Tanks. Give the players some very useful tips like:

• What's the role of Light Tanks in a battle.
  • Which are the weaknesses and the strongest characteristics of a Light Tank
  • Which is the best strategy for this type of vehicle

How to join the contest:

- Write a simple guide on how to play with Light Tanks. Your guide must be suitable for the absolute new players 
-  Post it on this thread

Rules:

- All players are welcome to join the contest, but each player can submit only one entry.

- Your text should have a minimum of 1000 characters (including spaces) and can also contain images.

- Remember to keep it simple and easy to read; your guide must be directed to players that are brand new to the game.

- Please avoid using any political or religious references in your text and pay attention to grammar and orthography (guides with too many errors will be ignored)

-  Entries will be judged on the theme and creativity

-  Reserving spots in the thread is not allowed. Reserved spots will be deleted.

DEADLINE: February 26th, at 9am PT

PRIZES

1st place - 1,000,000 Silver + 2 weeks Premium Time

2nd place - 900,000 Silver + 2 weeks Premium Time

3rd place - 800,000 Silver + 2 weeks Premium Time

4th place - 700,000 Silver + 1 week Premium Time

5th place - 600,000 Silver + 1 week Premium Time

Please read the WoT rules: 
Game Rules - Forum Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us onFacebookTwitterYouTube &Twitch!

Akherousia6 #2 Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18011 battles
  • [KMD]

So, you want to be a light tanker?

First of all, know what you are getting into. Lights are not a reliable attacking force on the battlefield, though they should not be underestimated in an assault role this should not be their primary focus. Try and refrain from engaging multiple enemies at a time, and spare yourself the disappointment of charging headfirst into battle with the intent of disrupting the enemy team, dropping targets, and/or killing artillery. Sorry to break it to you, but that doesn’t come until much later. It’s better you hear this from me, rather than the KV-1 as I hear they prefer to deliver their messages on a piece of paper wrapped around a 122mm shell.

The role of a scout is to play cautiously and opportunistically. You’re an analytical predator, watching the battlefield and relaying information – taking shots when you are confident you will land them without being detected or taking return fire. Then, in the endgame it is your job to isolate targets and help take them out. Until then, however, scouting is key.

That being said, not all lights are scouts. It’s important to know your vehicle, understand what it is and is not capable of. Some light tanks are simply thinly armored mediums, this is especially true up until Tier V – with the exception of the British Crusader, V is the tier where light tanks begin to dedicate themselves to the scout role.

Okay, but what is scouting, exactly?
Scouting is using your advantages in view range, mobility, and camouflage (while most tanks receive a penalty to their camouflage factor when on the move, light tanks do not receive this penalty and thus retain their camouflage while mobile) to locate targets and relay the information to your teammates so that they may capitalize on this information and land those hits they crave so much. The best part is, the game will relay this information for you! No vocalizing required!

But wait, how do I benefit from that?
Well, dealing damage isn’t the only way to influence the course of a battle. You might have noticed by now that if you track or spot a target and one of your teammates fires on them, you receive assisted damage. Scouts live for this, it is our primary goal. Every point of damage delivered to an enemy that you have located counts towards your own score as well. It’s a symbiotic relationship, you provide the eyes for teammates with inferior view ranges and they provide the firepower. A scout can completely turn the tide of battle by keeping the enemy team lit if the opposing scout is not doing the same in return.

That sounds awesome! Why do I get the impression it’s a lot trickier than it sounds though?
That’s because it is! First of all, and this is what many scouts get wrong, you have to survive long enough to rack up those assist ribbons. If you perish by throwing yourself into the thick of the enemy team, you’re going to die and take your spotted targets with you. So you’re going to have to be sneaky, and there are two very effective ways of doing that – we categorize them as Passive scouting and Active scouting.

Since active scouting is going to be a little more familiar to a newer player’s interpretation of exploiting a light tanks’ speed, we’ll start there. Active scouting is using your mobility to work a key area and continuously light the enemy team, and keep them lit. Now, when I say light, we’re talking detections here – this does not mean opening fire, but one of the key advantages of active scouting is that you can take pot shots at targets and squeeze off a bit of damage here and there without disrupting your scout work too significantly. Personally, I suggest using ridgelines to active scout. Many maps have areas where the terrain slopes upwards and breaks line of sight between both sides, if you are to patrol these lines popping up just quick enough to light the enemies on the other side and dropping back down immediately, you can often keep this up for the majority of the game.

Passive scouting is rather different, as the general strategy is to find a location where you can remain hidden for an extended period of time while being close enough to detect the enemy team and keep them lit up. This is great for maps where long-range firefights and stand-offs are likely to happen, as it gives your team a distinctive advantage. Find yourself a nice bush somewhere between both spawns, park your tank, brew some coffee, and enjoy the match. Be sure to request fire on key targets if you perceive any threats that you feel your team needs to take note of and/or prioritize. They won’t always listen, but hey.. it doesn’t hurt to try! There’s one major downfall, however. It’s boring! Well, to most people, anyway. You cannot fire, it runs the risk of giving away your location. However, as you get more comfortable with your scouting abilities you can begin to practice a technique many of us employ that allows us to open fire without giving away our location. By rolling back from the bush about 15m (enough for it to turn solid again) and firing, you can usually fire without giving away your location. However, do not use this method when too close to the enemy team, and make sure you won’t be detected by some sneaky tanks to your side or rear when doing this. As soon as you leave the bush you’re exposed! We don’t want that!

Unfortunately, the rest of it seems to come down to trial and error. If you are interested in learning to play light tanks, I’d recommend grabbing yourself either the M24 Chaffee, AMX ELC bis or the Luchs. By no means is the Leopard a bad scout, but it has a niche playstyle while the Luchs is a more well-rounded tank that would benefit you greatly in practicing your scouting abilities. Then, make an effort to learn the maps while you play your tank of choice. Try and identify ridgelines in key locations that you can patrol, and experiment with bushes that seem close enough to the battle to hide in while detecting the enemy team and keeping them on the map. It’s going to be a bit frustrating at first, but eventually you will come to learn the maps and will soon have numerous powerful locations memorized that will make you a significant threat on the battlefield!

Okay, I get that this is getting a bit long – so I’m going to try and wrap it up with a few more important details. I would highly recommend trying to train Sixth Sense on your crew as soon as possible, this will notify you when you are spotted by an enemy tank which will be a significant benefit to you in the field. Nothing worse than sitting in your favorite passive scouting bush and then spontaneously combusting because you had no idea the enemy team knew where you were until it’s too late!

As for equipment, there is no hard-and-fast rule to this but I would recommend always considering Coated Optics, Binocular Telescope, and a Camouflage Net. I usually run all three on my tanks as I like to switch between active and passive scouting depending on the scenario, but I’d leave it to your own discretion to figure out which equipment suits you best. There is little benefit to running Binocs and a Camo Net if you’re rarely going to passive scout, for example.

Lastly, light tanks can be a significant offensive threat on the battlefield. Make no mistake, while assisted damage should be your primary goal there will be plenty of opportunities to turn the tide of battle by dealing some damage of your own. When scouting, try and keep track of enemy locations and if you see an open flank later in the match, feel free to capitalize on it and exploit the opening. Is there just a lone medium on the other end of the ridge you’re active scouting left and you’re confident he has no fire support? Go ahead and pop over, carousel (a technique where a mobile tank circles the enemy in an attempt to stay out of their line of fire – highly recommended that you engage auto-aim for this technique, however if you can track before you engage then it is certainly worth the effort) the target, and then proceed once they are eliminated. Light tanks are great at playing offensively due to their high mobility, but it’s key that they control and carefully pick their engagements. Once you learn to recognize those openings, you will be matching your assisted damage with damage of your own in no time!

Best of luck, comrade! See you on the battlefield. :B

...I don't know what to put here now...

HOUSEoTARGARYEN #3 Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 12202 battles

First off, welcome to all of the new tankers. And here is my guide on Light Tanks.

The role of a light tank is simple, you are the main spotters for the rest of your team. But don't just go charging out there spot tanks  then die, rather lead your tanks but don't get to far ahead of your support, Like your Heavies, Tank destroyers and Artillery. stay ahead of them but find places where you can pop in and out of cover quickly to keep the enemies spotted or if it may be a wide open map with very little cover just keep that little light tank moving and keep them spotted. But spotting is not its only role, yet its main one. Because of their little size and their agility and maneuverability and speed. it makes for getting behind enemy lines quickly, so if you see an opportunity to take down a lone Tank destroyer or artillery which are generally slow but have bigger guns, I say take it cause those are the "snipers" of the team. They lurk in the distance and pick you off one by one. So it would be great to get rid of them if opportunity is presented. Lights are great artillery hunters. Another role they play into is support, but only when necessary, Example: if a friendly tanks is battling another tank and is in dire need of assistance then use that speed and agility to circle behind the enemy tank to distract them and get them to focus on YOU! then that will allow for your friendly tank(s) to get some shots in and get the kill!!!

W​eaknesses of a Light tank

Though they are very fast, agile, and maneuverable they lack armor and firepower. if they had more armor or a bigger gun it would weigh the tank down and it would diminish all the main aspects of the light tank. that's why its not made to stand and fight face to face but to outflank and get behind the tank where their armor is weakest so you can penetrate through and deal damage. Another thing I would like to add, from my experience light tanks seem to get tracked quite often so it's never a bad idea to keep a repair kit handy! and try to keep that little guy moving! speed is key!

Strengths of a Light Tank

Their speed and agility makes it easy for them to outrun other tanks (except other lights and a handful of medium tanks), allows them to get behind enemies quickly and take them down before they even know what hit them. Their extended sight range is what makes them great spotters. but their size is a big factor too, with a tank sooo small and low profile mixed with all that speed, agility and maneuverability, it makes them hard to hit especially for tanks with fixed guns, meaning they do not have a rotating turret and they have to keep turning their entire tank to line up a shot on you, or tanks that just have a very slow turning turret. light tanks may not have much armor or firepower but if you get behind enemies you instantly disrupt them and gain a lot of attention cause you have smaller health & armor and are an easy kill so you will have shells flying by you often!!!

Best Strategy??​

In my opinion, the best strategy is to just stay far enough ahead of your teammates to go spot the enemy and keep them spotted for your team to engage them but not too far ahead to where you have no team members to back you up. so spot for a while and when the enemy tanks start to dwindle, speed right on in there and cause havoc, get their attention on you, distract them and allow your teammates to storm in and take them down! and like I mentioned earlier if artillery is unprotected and you have an opportunity to take it down, I say go for it!

Light tanks like every other class play a very important role to the team and I really hope this Guide will help you new Tankers out there!! Best of luck to you all and may we see each other on the battlefield!!!:izmena::)

Edited by BigPandaBear450, 19 February 2016 - 09:40 PM.

Manitoba 01 #4 Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 42832 battles
  • [RATIO]

Edited by Manitoba 01, 20 February 2016 - 09:55 AM.

Manitoba 01 #5 Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 42832 battles
  • [RATIO]

View PostAkherousia6, on 19 February 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

So, you want to be a light tanker?

First of all, know what you are getting into. Lights are not a reliable attacking force on the battlefield, though they should not be underestimated in an assault role this should not be their primary focus. Try and refrain from engaging multiple enemies at a time, and spare yourself the disappointment of charging headfirst into battle with the intent of disrupting the enemy team, dropping targets, and/or killing artillery. Sorry to break it to you, but that doesn’t come until much later. It’s better you hear this from me, rather than the KV-1 as I hear they prefer to deliver their messages on a piece of paper wrapped around a 122mm shell.

The role of a scout is to play cautiously and opportunistically. You’re an analytical predator, watching the battlefield and relaying information – taking shots when you are confident you will land them without being detected or taking return fire. Then, in the endgame it is your job to isolate targets and help take them out. Until then, however, scouting is key.

That being said, not all lights are scouts. It’s important to know your vehicle, understand what it is and is not capable of. Some light tanks are simply thinly armored mediums, this is especially true up until Tier V – with the exception of the British Crusader, V is the tier where light tanks begin to dedicate themselves to the scout role.

Okay, but what is scouting, exactly?
Scouting is using your advantages in view range, mobility, and camouflage (while most tanks receive a penalty to their camouflage factor when on the move, light tanks do not receive this penalty and thus retain their camouflage while mobile) to locate targets and relay the information to your teammates so that they may capitalize on this information and land those hits they crave so much. The best part is, the game will relay this information for you! No vocalizing required!

But wait, how do I benefit from that?
Well, dealing damage isn’t the only way to influence the course of a battle. You might have noticed by now that if you track or spot a target and one of your teammates fires on them, you receive assisted damage. Scouts live for this, it is our primary goal. Every point of damage delivered to an enemy that you have located counts towards your own score as well. It’s a symbiotic relationship, you provide the eyes for teammates with inferior view ranges and they provide the firepower. A scout can completely turn the tide of battle by keeping the enemy team lit if the opposing scout is not doing the same in return.

That sounds awesome! Why do I get the impression it’s a lot trickier than it sounds though?
That’s because it is! First of all, and this is what many scouts get wrong, you have to survive long enough to rack up those assist ribbons. If you perish by throwing yourself into the thick of the enemy team, you’re going to die and take your spotted targets with you. So you’re going to have to be sneaky, and there are two very effective ways of doing that – we categorize them as Passive scouting and Active scouting.

Since active scouting is going to be a little more familiar to a newer player’s interpretation of exploiting a light tanks’ speed, we’ll start there. Active scouting is using your mobility to work a key area and continuously light the enemy team, and keep them lit. Now, when I say light, we’re talking detections here – this does not mean opening fire, but one of the key advantages of active scouting is that you can take pot shots at targets and squeeze off a bit of damage here and there without disrupting your scout work too significantly. Personally, I suggest using ridgelines to active scout. Many maps have areas where the terrain slopes upwards and breaks line of sight between both sides, if you are to patrol these lines popping up just quick enough to light the enemies on the other side and dropping back down immediately, you can often keep this up for the majority of the game.

Passive scouting is rather different, as the general strategy is to find a location where you can remain hidden for an extended period of time while being close enough to detect the enemy team and keep them lit up. This is great for maps where long-range firefights and stand-offs are likely to happen, as it gives your team a distinctive advantage. Find yourself a nice bush somewhere between both spawns, park your tank, brew some coffee, and enjoy the match. Be sure to request fire on key targets if you perceive any threats that you feel your team needs to take note of and/or prioritize. They won’t always listen, but hey.. it doesn’t hurt to try! There’s one major downfall, however. It’s boring! Well, to most people, anyway. You cannot fire, it runs the risk of giving away your location. However, as you get more comfortable with your scouting abilities you can begin to practice a technique many of us employ that allows us to open fire without giving away our location. By rolling back from the bush about 15m (enough for it to turn solid again) and firing, you can usually fire without giving away your location. However, do not use this method when too close to the enemy team, and make sure you won’t be detected by some sneaky tanks to your side or rear when doing this. As soon as you leave the bush you’re exposed! We don’t want that!

Unfortunately, the rest of it seems to come down to trial and error. If you are interested in learning to play light tanks, I’d recommend grabbing yourself either the M24 Chaffee, AMX ELC bis or the Luchs. By no means is the Leopard a bad scout, but it has a niche playstyle while the Luchs is a more well-rounded tank that would benefit you greatly in practicing your scouting abilities. Then, make an effort to learn the maps while you play your tank of choice. Try and identify ridgelines in key locations that you can patrol, and experiment with bushes that seem close enough to the battle to hide in while detecting the enemy team and keeping them on the map. It’s going to be a bit frustrating at first, but eventually you will come to learn the maps and will soon have numerous powerful locations memorized that will make you a significant threat on the battlefield!

Okay, I get that this is getting a bit long – so I’m going to try and wrap it up with a few more important details. I would highly recommend trying to train Sixth Sense on your crew as soon as possible, this will notify you when you are spotted by an enemy tank which will be a significant benefit to you in the field. Nothing worse than sitting in your favorite passive scouting bush and then spontaneously combusting because you had no idea the enemy team knew where you were until it’s too late!

As for equipment, there is no hard-and-fast rule to this but I would recommend always considering Coated Optics, Binocular Telescope, and a Camouflage Net. I usually run all three on my tanks as I like to switch between active and passive scouting depending on the scenario, but I’d leave it to your own discretion to figure out which equipment suits you best. There is little benefit to running Binocs and a Camo Net if you’re rarely going to passive scout, for example.

Lastly, light tanks can be a significant offensive threat on the battlefield. Make no mistake, while assisted damage should be your primary goal there will be plenty of opportunities to turn the tide of battle by dealing some damage of your own. When scouting, try and keep track of enemy locations and if you see an open flank later in the match, feel free to capitalize on it and exploit the opening. Is there just a lone medium on the other end of the ridge you’re active scouting left and you’re confident he has no fire support? Go ahead and pop over, carousel (a technique where a mobile tank circles the enemy in an attempt to stay out of their line of fire – highly recommended that you engage auto-aim for this technique, however if you can track before you engage then it is certainly worth the effort) the target, and then proceed once they are eliminated. Light tanks are great at playing offensively due to their high mobility, but it’s key that they control and carefully pick their engagements. Once you learn to recognize those openings, you will be matching your assisted damage with damage of your own in no time!

Best of luck, comrade! See you on the battlefield. :B

You didn't mention the Bulldog, it's the best scout EVER! Why do you not speak of it?

Nice article btw, could benefit from some pictures, maybe an animated gif or two?

Anyang2004 #6 Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:59 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 5983 battles

Please use Lert's glossary of terms as reference

Most pictures are from famous forumers, Lert etc. So credit to them.

What is a light tank?

Too many times have I witnessed a light tank suiscouting (ineffectively running straight at the enemy team at the start of the match and not surviving) and then complaining over voice chat that arty (Artillery/SPG) didn't do their job. Your job as a light tank isn't to suiscout, in fact there are different types ways to play the light tanks - AMX 40 is classified as light tank but plays like a heavy, AMX 13 75 is more about chipping away at enemy tanks health so before you even play a battle in a light tank search up on what your light tank's role is.

Learning your tanks role

As I said in "What is a light tank?", know what your light tank can and can't do. A quick search of google quickly gives you a general idea of what the tank can do. For example the French tier VI-VIII (AMX 12 t, AMX 13 75 and AMX 13 90) are generally flankers and harassers. Observe.

Posted Image

Tank 1, 2 and 3 are big heavies that are bearing down against an even bigger tank (Red tank), luckily for ALL the tanks that they cannot penetrate (Hit and cause damage to a tank) each other reliably. Tank 4 (You) realises their tank's role and moves to flank because of Tank 4 the greens destroy the big baddie.

Do you even understand your tank line bro?

"This guide is sooo boring  , when do we get to blow stuff up?  " 

Patience, young padawan...

Some of you WoT veterans might be surprised at this but it happens - Many times have I scrolled through the forums about someone complaining that they don't like a tank line they are going through because it wasn't what they thought it was. I know this might be common sense, but PLEASE, PLEASE scroll through Tier II to Tier X of a tank line you are planning to go down take - Take the British "Light" tank, it's all laughs and smiles until you elite your Valentine, realising that it goes on to a tank destroyer only line. WG

(War Gaming- the company that made World Of Tanks) can be a troll sometimes :trollface:  .

"I can't wait for the Archer, it looks like such a great light tank, WAIT WHAT THE!!" 

Posted Image

On the other hand you might have to endure non-light tanks to get to the juicy bits, think of it like being forced to eat your Brussels sprouts so you can get your dinner. To get to the AMX 12 t you must go through the AMX 38/40; notorious for being a slow but armored light - "Light tank? lel yea rite" - No... It's actually a light tank. I liked it though, Maybe it was because I read up on it. I know I have mentioned this in every topic yet; READ UP ON A TANK YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT!.

Other point of this topic is; CHECK OUT THE WHOLE I can't bolden bolded texts again TANK LINE!

Choosing a tank line

"Finally we can now pla-" 

Posted Image

Now use all the things we just learnt about to choose your tank line. 

I chose the B-C 25 t line, I am currently on the AMX 13 75 and loving every bit of it, maybe it is because everyone underestimates me as I flank them and put in 820 average burst damage and fleeing while they give a "What the.." look towards me and I end the match killing the artillery.

But I cannot stress enough, please read up on a tank line that you think would fit your play style. But when you read up on a tank line, don't look at the tier 10 since you are a new player I would doubt you will make it to tier 10; well quickly anyway. For example, I looked up on the M41 Walker Bulldog since I am positive that I will make it to tier 7, no matter how bad the tanks before it are.

"WHY DO WE HAVE TO READ? READING IS BAWRING"

Suit yourself, if you want to die every match, go ahead, fine by me. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

This was found with a quick simple search here.

Prepping your tank

"You got to be kidding me, if you're in a light tank preparation is useless, I mean you gotta be thinking on your feet right?" 

Wrong! Prepping isn't really anything other than choosing equipment and consumables.

Prepping your tank 2/3

The consumables you choose is entirely up to you, for my leopard I chose gasoline, fire extinguisher and repair kit. Others might choose the classic set up - repair kit, medic kit and fire extinguisher. I chose what fit with my playstyle and I encourage you to do the same.

Prepping your tank 3/3

I didn't choose equipment for the leopard but if I had to I would have placed in Vents (5% increase to crew skills.), Enhanced suspension (I am driving up hills and falling small distances quite a lot, tracking me and forcing me to use my repair kit and Toolbox (25% increase in repair speeds helps goes a long way when i'm tracked.)

Rolling into battle

"Is that what I think it means?"

Posted Image

After you have chosen the tank line you want to go through and made it to the scouting/harasser tiers (Tier 5 and up is where all the fun comes in :playing:)

Posted Image

My first target was a Leopard, distracted by my team-mates I unleashed my clip on him - just as he was about to die he turned his turret towards me.

Posted Image 

I'm preying on an unsuspecting KV, full of adenaline from my hit and run on the Leopard - actually, now that I think about it, I think that he did know I was there but he just underestimated me. After I unleashed my clip on him I sped away towards my next target -

Posted Image

The T-28 was aware of what I did to his team mates so drove for his life, fortunately he ended up crashing into the boundary where I messed up leaving my team mates to salvage him.

Here are the post game results:

Posted Image

I only lost 74 health that whole ordeal. The thing is, it wasn't even one of my best matches. Just an average.

I earned an easy 20k without even really focusing, just as long as you know what you are doing, you will succeed.

I hope this has helped you and your WoT career, and maybe with this you won't play so new anymore.

Roll out, commander.

Edited by Anyang2004, 21 February 2016 - 08:22 AM.

emperordennis #7 Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:03 AM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]

Oeh a guide contest. Good memories for these kind of contests :harp:.

Quick request for the mod: Can you either keep these guides permanent or move them to the newcomers forum? Last competition for guides had really well written guide but the thread was eventually deleted effectively destroying the guides and their purpose.

My guide:

Spoiler

Edited by emperordennis, 21 February 2016 - 11:20 AM.

Very good guide: Beta582's Guide to Everything

All WoT Console tank characteristics (including hidden stats): WoT Console Encyclopedia

CyberValkyr #8 Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles

*me*

Ah, a contest for one of my favourite classes :^D

*is for PS4*

:(

Formerly known as Zambieslayer28 

XanthiusKrood #9 Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 6598 battles
So you want to play a light tank?  Read on for the general basics.

The light tank is one of the most difficult but rewarding tanks to master. Picture this if you will... You are a hummingbird with a cell phone. Your speed and agility are unmatched but a light breeze can knock you down. Your bite scares no one. However, as you dart around, you are on the phone with the eagles and owls, telling them exactly where the prey is at. Where our analogy falls short is in the fact that when they feed on those tender red rodents, you gain as well! Spotting experience can be massive in a good game.

The key to reaping huge rewards spotting is to stay alive! Just like in real life, a hummingbird's cellphone is useless when they're dead. Click. No more experience. Running in and seeing a whole ton of spotting ribbons pop up on your screen may be tempting, but you gain almost nothing when no one damages all those targets. Spot FOR your team, not so far ahead of them that they can do nothing about it.

Also, hummingbirds love bushes. Sometimes your best tactic is to stay still and keep your eyes on the enemy. Let your teammates tear them up with their massive talons and stay on the line. Do this and the silver will flow. Remember one thing while doing this as well, hummingbird calls can be quite loud. You squeeze the trigger and you just might attract unwanted attention. It's often better to not shoot when playing a light tank.

However, you will likely find yourself going toe to toe with an enemy at some point. What do you do?  Keep moving at all costs. Hummingbird armor is not the greatest. Your best defense is your speed. If played right, a hummingbird can slowly peck a giant red rat to death while the rat struggles to get a clear attack off due to your speed.

Now there are many generalisations about the light tank here. Not all are fast, not all have weak guns, not all even make good scouts. However, these general, avian themed tactics should serve you well in the majority of light tanks out there. There are few moments in World of Tanks which are as much fun as a well played game in a light tank. Practice practice practice and you shall be the most feared hummingbird in the land.

emperordennis #10 Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:22 AM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]

View PostZambieSlayer28, on 21 February 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

*me*

Ah, a contest for one of my favourite classes :^D

*is for PS4*

:(

No it is not I believe?

It doesn't say Xbox players can't participate (if they can't my guide is not allowed either *sad face*)

I think this contest is because we have new PS4 players, it is not only for PS4 players to participate in so I'd say write one!

All WoT Console tank characteristics (including hidden stats): WoT Console Encyclopedia

CyberValkyr #11 Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles

Well, here I go:

So, the light tank. It's fast, long view range, not so great armament and armour that makes the high tier tanks go idiot mode. But that shouldn't put you off to playing, because if played right, you have yourself one of the most fun tanks that can cause havoc to the enemy team. However, it's the most difficult class to master so I'll tell you how to be annoying to enemy heavies and make artillery cry in their sleep. 

Tiers of light tanks

A tier is a fancy way of saying level. At first you start off with tier 1-3. The light tanks at that tier are just as simple to play as any other class. You drive, shoot your gun and gain points for damage/killing. However at tier 4-8, this is where everything changes. You go against bigger guns, more skilled players and you see new things happening. This is where it becomes more competitive for a light tank. Excluding the British/Japanese, light tanks get a different level of matchmaking. A tier 4 tank would see tiers 3 up to 6. But a tier 4 light tank would see tiers 3-7. Why is that? Well that's because they are scouts. They spot the enemy for your team. A tier 5 tank would see tiers 3 up to 7. But a tier 5 light tank would see tiers 4-8. And continuing on higher levels. This is why it is difficult to play a light tank. 

Countries

Each country has a certain way to be played, either brawling, sniping, support or just basically everything. But when it comes to light tanks there are 2 ways, passive and aggressive scouting. One is boring but safe and effective, the other is dangerous but fun. Some countries can have both.

The French is a main example of passive scouting. They have no armour, an auto-loader (a gun that can fire many times but once the magazine is empty, you have a long reload) and a fancy looking turret. They have a good camo and are small, perfect for this job. Well what is passive scouting? Basically you pick a bush near the enemy, make sure you are not inside it but near out of it to make it work. If you are 100m away from the enemy you will profit from this. This is passive scouting. However, there is a downside to this...IT'S ABSOLUTELY BORING! So if this isn't your cup of tea then I'd suggest a more aggressive country which we'll talk about soon

The Germans are also a more passive but slightly more aggressive country.

Just look at this french vehicle. It looks like it's from a space film! ^^^

The Russians are a good aggressive country when it comes to this job. Because, well its a Russian tank. The tank line is fast, slick and smooth, with a single shot gun that can be an absolute annoyance to big stupid heavy tanks that only know how to drive and shoot. What is aggressive scouting? Well basically you are constantly driving around some hills near the enemy, popping your head out like a gopher, back into its hole and then look for another place to pop out. "But isn't that dangerous?" you may ask. Of course it is! And that's the fun of it. It's because the Russians don't have a great amount of view range like other countries. Something you may also want to know is the ability of a light tank. Many tanks lose camo rating on the move but that is not for a light tank. Sitting still is as effective as moving which is what everyone forgets. So, the Russian lights are aggressive that pop their turrets over hills to spot enemies. The Chinese are also very similar to the Russians.

The lttb, it's an absolute fun tank but very difficult to play ^^^

Now the Americans. These guys are passive and aggressive. Well how is that? Well they're basically a 50/50 country. Their light tanks have speed, view range and gun. They are quick, manoeuvreable. The bulldog is a main example. It's quick and can cause a nightmare to unsuspecting heavies and then runaway. This is the perfect all round light tank. So if you like playing both ways, then I suggest the Americans.

The bulldog in her glory. ^^^

What must I never do in a light tank?

That's easy, never ever be at the front of the battle. Why? Because you'll blow up in seconds. And you don't want that. You are meant to help your team, not help the enemy.

When do I scout?

If you sit behind a bush and there are no guns behind you looking for a target, then Get out of there! That means you'll not get spotting damage to help your team. 

What if I get a city map?

Now here is the problem about lights. The city map is your nemesis, your rival but that doesn't mean you are useless. Make use of your tank by zooming around the map, popping out from corners to the next, taking shots at busy enemies and if they turn to you, just run away. And what's better than an unsuspecting heavy, is an unexpecting artillery. Artillery players get terrified if they are all alone on a city map. But I'm not telling you to hunt them doen from the beginning, I'm telling you to hunt them down near the end, because it adds the fear factor of the artillery. And seeing artillery squirming in fear is hilarious to the eyes of a light tank driver.

Well commanders, I hope this helps and if not, then I don't think a light tank is for you. Roll out.

Edited by ZambieSlayer28, 22 February 2016 - 08:15 AM.

CyberValkyr #12 Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles

View Postemperordennis, on 21 February 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

No it is not I believe?

It doesn't say Xbox players can't participate (if they can't my guide is not allowed either *sad face*)

I think this contest is because we have new PS4 players, it is not only for PS4 players to participate in so I'd say write one!

I didn't fully read what it said. It says "all players are welcome to participate"

So I guess we're in the clear.

Schneller WGA #13 Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles
This is open to all console players :) 

TooSaltiee #14 Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:19 AM

Private

• Players
  • 3509 battles

So, you've decided you want to play light tanks, huh? Well, if you're stuck on how to play these tanks, read this simple guide, and by the end, I hope you'll become an expert at light tanks!
 So, first off, the role. Light tanks are scouts, and artillery killers. Mediums are not as fast as light tanks, heavy tanks are way too slow to scout, TDs have too low of a health pool, and are too slow, and if you're scouting with artillery, you need to go back and learn how to actually play artillery. But that's a different story. Anyways, back to the role. Light tanks can eliminate those pesky artillery shooting at you from their spawn, which really puts a lot of stress off your shoulders, without having to worry about losing 500+ hit points, that you might need later on, whether you're a heavy, medium, TD, or even an artillery.
Moving on; the characteristics of a light tank. Light tanks have breakneck speeds, decent guns with a fast DPM, and good traverse speed as well. With those pros, there's always a con. For the light tank, its armour. Light tanks often have paper thin armour, and can be destroyed easily. But to make up for the paper thin armour, those top speeds will be making you dodge so many incoming shells, because you'll be such a hard target to hit, moving all over the place.
Finally, some tips on playing light tanks. Now, in my time playing WoT PS4, I've seen a lot of light tanks eithier:
A) commit suicide right off the bat
or
B) Rush right into enemy lines, and go kamikaze
I'm going to say this once. THAT. IS. NOT. HOW. YOU. PLAY. LIGHT. TANKS. By scouting, I don't mean rush up and kill yourself. Use the provided cover and bushes, and move tactically, to scout. Try not to get spotted by the enemy tanks. Spot them, but don't get spotted. Now, don't commit suicide either. You're still an important aspect of the team. You find the enemy tanks, so that your team's tanks can move tactically TO them, and kill them off. That's important, so your team isn't blind, and getting murdered by invisible tanks. Believe it or not, I see some light tanks as brawlers, such as the British tier IV light tank, the Covenantor. The fast little tank has an amazing auto reloader, which can easily rip mediums and heavies of tiers III, IV, and possibly V to shreds. The American tiers VII and VIII light tanks are also brawlers. The Bulldog is like a medium tank, making those heavies turrets spin around, and around, until they die. It also has a decent health pool, so it can take a few hits too. The T49, the derp gun on it is the best. Find a right spot to hit, or a foolish tank showing his/her side, and BAM! 900-1000 hp, gone. The rest of your team can just finish off the foolish player, if he/she's not dead yet. Finally, my last example is the german tier VIII light tank, the RU 251. It's got 70 kph/h, proving that this tank is a fast little bugger to deal with. Its gun is not bad either, just use your speed, and circle around those heavies, making them dizzy with confusion, before they realize, "Oh, I'm dead :(. Stupid light tank."
So, after reading this, I hope you know some knowledge of light tanks by now, possibly even what light tank line to go for. Now, I've got other things to do, and tanks to kill. Au reviour, and happy hunting, everyone!

TooSaltiee #15 Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:21 AM

Private

• Players
  • 3509 battles
Ignore that space at the beginning, I needed to know what to mention in my guide lol

trans89900911 #16 Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 40483 battles

good first you have to know is that a light tank is not to detect launching from 7 players and yasta destroy me .... not that bad.
the paper makes a battle is very important, I will clacificar follows:
1, the main function is to detect undetected, giving your team vicion but being under cover.
2nd ambush, if one or more players on your team have difficulty moving through an area, you take a detour and surprise the enemy from behind, so your team can advance.
3rd base defense if the enemy was capturing the base are the first option to reset the flag and allow time for the team to arrive.
4th artillery game, if you see a break in the enemy lines and you can catch up with their artillery do not hesitate team will benefit.
light are little tank armor and damage per shot is not very high, but it compensates with great camouflage, speed and a good rate of fire. because of poor shielding and weight is not advisable contrar hit another tank.
 my advice is that in a battle not attack the enemy ahead, do it from the side or from behind if possible. the element of surprise is essential that the enemy will never know where you're going to appear in this way will be easier to destroy.

this would be the basis to start playing with light tank battles get the rest of you lack experience.

greetings and hope you like it and help you

Schneller WGA #17 Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles
EDIT: I am terribly sorry! I jumped the gun and thought today was Friday. :hiding:

Edited by Schneller WGA, 25 February 2016 - 05:23 PM.

Schneller WGA #18 Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles
The contest continues! 

emperordennis #19 Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]

View PostSchneller WGA, on 25 February 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

EDIT: I am terribly sorry! I jumped the gun and thought today was Friday. :hiding:

Oh boy if only... :(

Probably better anyway, since there are only 7 guides. Hopefully a bit more will come in before tomorrow to help new players.

i wil lockyerup #20 Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:03 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16663 battles
  • [AISH]
The role of light tanks

The role of lights tanks is primarily to be the eyes and ears of your team by keeping enemy targets spotted. Secondarily, the role of light tanks is to deal damage.

The strengths of light tanks

In general light tanks are very fast. This allows them to move around the map quickly and respond to the ever changing circumstances of the average World of Tanks match. Most like tanks have excellent manoeuvrability which gives them the opportunity to demolish less mobile tanks by running rings around them. They tend to have very good camouflage due to them being small which is great for passive scouting (more on that later). The majority of light tanks have fast firing guns which can put a surprising amount of damage out in a short space of time as well as being accurate on the move making them fantastic candidates for hit and run tactics.

The weaknesses of light tanks

Armour is more often than not less than stellar which means you won't want to be brawling it out with much more heavily armoured enemy tanks. Light tanks almost always have less hit points than their equal tiered counterparts so you have to try to avoid being shot more so than with mediums or heavies.
Typically light tanks have poor penetration for their tier, forcing you to flank your targets and hit them in the side or rear.

Strategies for light tanks 

There are many strategies in the repertoire of a light tank driver, here are the main ones:
Passive scouting. This is where you remain stationary and hidden from sight to spot enemy tanks from a distance and allow your teammates, especially tank destroyers and artillery to take them out. You can use equipment like binoculars and camouflage net to improve your effectiveness in this strategy. This is a situational tactic that is great for open maps with foliage to hide behind like Malinovka but nigh on impossible on most urban maps. A point to note with this, try to refrain from shooting unless you are well outside your target's view range so that you don't get spotted. Passive scouts can be a nightmare to deal with because it is very difficult to tell where they are spotting you from.
Active scouting. This serves the same purpose as passive scouting but you go about it differently. Active scouting means moving rapidly across certain areas of the map lighting up targets for your team. This could be popping up over a ridge line quickly or dashing by some buildings, so long as you are keeping targets spotted. Feel free to take pot shots on the move as you do this, the aim isn't to be stealthy. Coated optics is ideal for this as you won't be still long enough to take advantage of binoculars.
Damage dealing. This is a very broad term which means lots of things, so I'll try to clarify. When driving around the battlefield, take the opportunities you have to deal damage. Despite scouting being your primary role, dealing damage is also important. If you see a low health target you can assassinate without too much trouble, go ahead. If you see a tank destroyer without a turret on its own, pounce on it. If you are at the later stages of the game and previously congested routes have been opened up, make a run for it and destroy the artillery. If you can isolate slower tanks you can pick them apart with ease. You tend to be able to isolate tanks much easier towards the end of the match so make sure you don't suicide scout at the beginning by running into all the ememies.

How to equip your light tanks

With regards to skills and perks, sixth sense and camouflage are top picks, sixth sense lets you know when you are spotted and need to move. Camouflage reduces the chance of you being spotted in the first place. Equipment wise, binos, camo net, coated optics, gun rammer and improved ventilation are all good. Which ones you pick depends on the tank and your play style.

Important information to bear in mind 

Map knowledge is essential in light tanks as your play style will have to be very different when playing on a congested urban map like Himmelsdorf compared to an open rural one like Prokhorovka.
Avoid going crazy in the early stages of the game and dying quickly because light tanks can be tremendously useful in the late stages of the game.
Being sneaky is often vital in light tanks so if you want to shoot and you are hiding behind a bush, make sure you back up enough so that the bush is opaque when you shoot then move forward until the bush is transparent to scout again.
Many light tanks are exceptions to the rule, a prime example is the AMX 40 which is slow and has good armour.
Binoculars and camo net require you to be stationary for three seconds to activate.

In summary light tanks are speedy little devils that are a force to be reckoned with, don't underestimate them.

A dyslexic man walks into a bra

Also tagged with contest, guides, light tank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users