The Guides Contest Continue: Tank Destroyer Edition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Schneller WGA #1 Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles

The contest for guide creations continue! In this edition we talk about what it takes to be the ultimate Tank Destroyer!

During this month, with been asking you to help new players with guides and tutorials on how to play the different classes of tanks. We've covered the Light, Medium and Heavy tanks, and now it's time for the fearsome Tank Destroyers!

Your task for this contest is to write a simple tutorial on how to play with Tank Destroyers. Give the players some very useful tips like:

• What's the role of Tank Destroyers in a battle.
  • Which are the weaknesses and the strongest characteristics of a Tank Destroyers
  • Which is the best strategy for this type of vehicle

How to join the contest:

- Write a simple guide on how to play with Tank Destroyers. Your guide must be suitable for the absolute new players 
-  Post it on this thread

Rules:

- All players are welcome to join the contest, but each player can submit only one entry.

- Your text should have a minimum of 1000 characters (including spaces) and can also contain images.

- Remember to keep it simple and easy to read; your guide must be directed to players that are brand new to the game.

- Please avoid using any political or religious references in your text and pay attention to grammar and orthography (guides with too many errors will be ignored)

-  Entries will be judged on the theme and creativity

-  Reserving spots in the thread is not allowed. Reserved spots will be deleted.

DEADLINE: March 4th, at 9am PT

PRIZES

1st place - 1,000,000 Silver + 2 weeks Premium Time

2nd place - 900,000 Silver + 2 weeks Premium Time

3rd place - 800,000 Silver + 2 weeks Premium Time

4th place - 700,000 Silver + 1 week Premium Time

5th place - 600,000 Silver + 1 week Premium Time

Please read the WoT rules: 
Game Rules - Forum Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us onFacebookTwitterYouTube &Twitch!

xRoni7x #2 Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11594 battles

The Tank Destroyer 101.

Hey, as an avid, experienced and very prolific tank destroyer driver that has finished almost 6 TD lines, I am going to share the info you will need to come out on top on the battlefield!

1. TD Basics

2. Types of TD's

3. My personal Tips

The Basics.

Tank Destroyers are the main damage dealers on the field. While you may be allowed to believe that the close range brawling is exclusive to the Heavies, it is not. Of course it does matter on the type of TD you are currently driving. See category 2 for this explanation. Most of the damage in a game will be dealt by TD's hence the name and quite often the team with the better TD's determines the outcome. It is your job as a TD to keep your gun firing and inflict major damage to the opposition while your heavies divert attention and mediums/lights get you the targets to shoot.

Types of Tank Destroyers

So unfortunately there isn't one Ultimate Guide for TD's that you can rely on. It just doesn't work like that as there are quite a few version of a Tank Destroyers. To be brief about it and attempt to best explain them, here are those types.

Slow and No Armour. For example: St.Emil , Rhm.-B. WT , SU-152

Fast and No Armour. For example: Marder II , E25 , T25/2

Slow and Heavy Armour. For example: JagdTiger , Jg.Pz. E 100 , T110E3

Balanced Speed and Balanced Armour. For example: Stug III , JPanther II , SU-122-54

Let's start from the top.

If your TD is Slow and No Armour.

Spoiler

These are your snipers. Since you are slow, and not maneuverable at all, close range can often mean a quick return to the garage. You 'should' (doesn't mean you have to) play them away from the front lines and either cover the tanks on the line or keep an eye on an area of the map where the enemy is likely to go. The guns on these tanks can go from mid range damage to high with a fair fire rate. These can be extremely devastating to the opposition if you lay the correct ambush behind the right cover. Another bonus to help you is your camouflage rating. These TD's tend to have high camo values meaning you may not even be detected upon firing giving you an advantage. Be very careful of people tracing you to your location by following your shot tracers and and be vary of arty. One shot is likely to all it take for you to end up as a scrapheap.

If your TD is Fast and No Armour.

Spoiler

These are the tanks that are formed if a light, medium have a kinky night at the manufacturing workshop. You are fast, agile and possess a gun that while not give a FV215b 183 a run for it's money in terms of alpha damage, it will unload ten times the more shots before it even has a chance to return fire, giving you time to kill whatever is you are fighting. Since you are also very agile, and some of these even have a turret, you can bully slower TD's or even Heavies by circling around them. If you are willing or can sacrifice some HP to take a high alpha hit so you can use your DPM (damage per minute) to finish it off, this is what you want to do it in. Just make sure it has no back up. Being a spotter for your team is also a viable option and take pot shots when you can. 

If your TD is Slow and Heavy Armour

Spoiler

Now these are the monsters that you do not want to be surprised by going around a corner. They are well armoured and have a gun which when hits you, would send lighter tanks flying from Himmelsdorf all the way to the sand dunes of El Halluf, if the physics were realistic. To play these beasts you do not need a lot of strategy but rather a force to help you. These are very much your front line brawlers with some even doing a better job than Heavies. The drawback. You have no 360 degree rotational turret. This can be very easily exploited by more agile tanks who will casually flak you and repeatedly fill your tank's rear with lead while you contemplate life. If you do not have support, stay near terrain such as buildings and boulders to try and prevent any flanking attempt by a cheeky scout and park that rear end up against the wall. When engaging also keep in mind that you most likely have a long reload before firing. Prioritise bigger threats or lower health tanks.

If your TD is Balanced Speed and Balanced Armour. 

Spoiler

These TD's are the hybrids. They can perform nearly everything the others can but not to the same level. Some of these tanks also have turrets while some don't but often perform the same anyway. These TD's are primarily support since they don't excel at any role, do not use them as an assault gun and neither as an all out sniper. Try varying your tactics in it to get out the maximum potential. Spot when you need to. Snipe when you need and even brawl when you need to. The brawling is a lot harder in these but against the right opponent it can very well work.

My Tips

1. Never stay in one spot too long. The enemy will either find you and kill you, arty will make sure you get balanced or they will just avoid that area all together and find another way to go, giving you nothing to shoot at and causing your team to basically be a man down.

2. In a slow and armoured TD, take the initiative and attack when you can. Don't always wait for the enemy to come to you. That gun on your tank will often panic. Anybody who sees a Waffentrager E100 aim them down and does not move is either uneducated or just stupidly brave.

3.Don't be afraid to take a few hits to deal damage. There are no medals for cleanest tanks. Try playing more aggressive than passive but within reason as to what you can handle.

4. Stay alive as long as you can. Don't throw your tank away early. A TD with high alpha, late game can pull a game easily as the opposition is likely to be already damaged for you to one shot them.

5. Avoid very obvious sports in your sniper TD's. Arty is likely to already be aiming in that area and is just waiting for you to fire in order to confirm your location. This is not as occurrent but can and will happen.

These is my guide for you guys to be more efficient in your TD's. While I understand many may not agree or only partially, it is a good starting point. As you play TD's and get better, you will be able to make your own analysis of the situation and make your own rules.

Edited by xRoni7x, 27 February 2016 - 09:02 PM.

"Have a good day!"

xRoni7x #3 Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11594 battles
Damn if no one else replies do I get all 5 prizes?

"Have a good day!"

CosmlcOstrich #4 Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22410 battles
When will the Winners from the light tanks be announced?

CyberValkyr #5 Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles

View PostxRoni7x, on 29 February 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Damn if no one else replies do I get all 5 prizes?

I shall submit my guide later

Formerly known as Zambieslayer28 

xRoni7x #6 Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11594 battles

View PostZambieSlayer28, on 29 February 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

I shall submit my guide later

We take 2 each and split the 5th.:teethhappy:

"Have a good day!"

CosmlcOstrich #7 Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22410 battles

Tank Destroyers are the Most Powerful of the tank types and usually revolve around one thing A big gun, however, they do come with some drawbacks in their playstyle and they are both feared and respected.

The role of a Tank Destroyer is to Support allies with their very powerful guns. So in Open maps like Malinovka or Prokhorovka you want to be able sit back and help eliminate targets that your allies have spotted. But on more Urban maps like Ruinberg, Ensk, or Himmelsdorf you want to stay at chokepoints where you can wait for opportunities where you can pop out and punish your enemies with only taking minimal damage just make sure not to get in the way of the heavy tanks trying to use the corners, be considerate of your teammates and their possible movements. But if you can you want to stay back where you cannot be detected by the enemy and can put supporting fire into the enemy once your team has spotted them. Some Tank destroyers are quite sneaky so take advantage of this by using Camouflage on your crew, your tank, and even a camouflage net can decrease your chances of getting spotted as well as sitting in bushes will greatly increase your chance of not being detected.

The Strength of the Tank Destroyer is it's powerful armament and it's ability to take down enemies with one or two big shots. which means you should try to avoid situations where you are in a 1 on 1 fight where each tank is out in the open hitting one another. You should use cover and pop out so that you only receive fire when you are dishing it out. The weaknesses of Tank Destroyers is their lack of gun traverse, which means that some enemies can outflank you and you will not be able to return fire. This can be dealt with however, get to a boundary on the map and back into it, turn towards the enemy and back up, repeat until the enemy is in front of your gun then they will be unable to get around where you can not return fire. Another weakness is that Tank Destroyers usually have very long reloads in between shells so be sure to find cover, trading shots with someone with a lower caliber gun is a lot better than having them continuously put rounds into your tank.

The best strategy for this tank is to fight from a distance out of the detection range of your enemy putting supporting fire unto the enemy or if it is an urban map you want to give your allies support on corners by waiting for your opportunity to put fire into your enemy but take very little in return.

Additional advice:

• Tank Destroyers are among the best tanks out there and they only get more powerful the longer the game goes on so you should look for chances to fire upon the enemy without taking fire yourself. A dead tank deals no damage.

• When you spawn if you do not know which way to go find a spot where you can sit back and help your team while you wait to see how the battle will develop s

• ​Map awareness is one of the key parts to any tank make sure you know how the battle is progressing and where your next target will be mastering this will help you win many more games and do more damage in your tank destroyers.

• Turn off Aim Assist- Aim Assist will only drag your cursor and when fighting vehicles who are around corners it will only make you shoot walls when you are aiming at the corners. I advise turning this feature off it will help you not only become a better player but also keep you from losing kills that you should have had.

• Know the limitations of your certain type of Tank Destroyer there are many of different sub categories of Td's that I did not cover such as Turreted Td's which while having a fully traversable turret it usually turns very slow so you can reengage targets very effectively without turning your hull and losing your camo rating.

tanair #8 Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12307 battles
  • [UNIDS]

Tank destroyers

Tank destroyers are the hidden snipers in WoT. With a tank destroyer you stay in the background, try to find a good spot (hide in bushes) and fire from cover. While the front turret of tank destroyers is often very well armoured, the sides are not. Thus you want to make sure that no one can hit you from the side.

Most tank destroyers don’t have a turning turret, which makes them more difficult to drive and aim. As a beginner, I would recommend you to first drive heavy tanks, before you start with tank destroyers. Unless your target is directly in front of you, you often have to stop and turn your tank before shooting. That’s why it is important to avoid one to one situation, as especially, light tanks can easily flank you.

Equipment:

In order to avoid begin spotted, you have to have camouflage your TD. TD have the advantage of having the highest camouflage bonuses.

A camo skin of a TD will get 13% of camo bonus. So make sure you buy all 4 camo types (city, desert, summer, winter).

Also a camo net is definitely important for your TD. It will increase your camouflage to 15%. However, the camo net is only active after you stand still for at least three seconds. A camo net symbol will flash up on your screen, if it is the case. Also your crew will inform you. The costs of a camo net are 100,000 silver. A camo net is a removable equipment, which means that you can sell it without losing sliver.

Also a binocular telescope is recommendable. It expands your view range (+25%), while standing. Similar to the camo net you have stand still for at least three seconds, before the telescope is active. The difference between coated optics and binocular telescope is that coated optics only gives you a view range bonus of 10%, while binocular telecscope gives you 25%. However, coated optics are always active and you don’t have to wait. So for TD binocular telescope is recommendable, whereas scouts should use coated optics. A binocular telescope costs 500,000 silver and is a complex equipment, which means you have to either spent 10 Gold to sell it and get the full costs back, or you sell it and just get half of the silver back.

Finally, I always would recommend to use a Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer. It decreases your gun-loading time for 10%. TD often have a very powerful gun with the disadvantage of higher loading times. So 10% less can be crucial for shooting first. A Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer is a complex equipment, as well.

Skills & Perks:

After your crew has been trained 100% on a tank, you are able to train skills and perks. Here are my recommendations for TDs:

First I would choose to take the “classical” and in my opinion most important skills and perks: repair and sixth sense. Repair is a skill which is being developed in every game. With this skill your crew is able repair broken modules. With broken tracks you can be an easy target for enemies. Together with the large repair kit (consumable) and the toolbox (equipment) this skill is more effective.

Secondly, I would for sixth sense. With sixth sense your crew is able to know if you are detected or not. Sixth sense is a perk, which means that is only active after your crew trained it 100%. Some say that sixth sense is useless in WoT console, because we already have “detected”. However, that is not true. While sixth sense means that the enemy detected you, so they know where you are, detected means that somebody is actually aiming at you. So if detected shows up try to take cover! And pay attention, it could actually be that an artillery, is aiming at you!

After those, I would choose camouflage. Camouflage is a skill, which increases your camouflage capability. Together with the skin and net, your TD is really difficult to detect.

Then I would go for bothers in arms. It again increases your trained skills by 5%. So your reloading time gets lower, your camo better and you can repair modules faster.

Recon is also a recommendable skill for TD. It increases your view range by 2%.

Types of TDs:

There are different types of TDs. Some of them, e.g. Hellcat, are fast and have a movable turret. It’s almost as driving a medium tank. Others have an amazing gun, but are slow or don’t have a good armour.  

I have to admit that I not the most experienced TD driver. However, I have some experiences with German TD I liked to share:

My favourite TD is the German Tier 4 TD Hetzer. Fully, researched it has an amazing gun and can pretty much one-shoot every enemy tank up to Tier 4. Even in Tier 6 games it does a good job. The front is very well armoured, which makes it almost impossible for other Tier 4 tanks to penetrate it. The sides and the back are the weak spots. Tip: when facing an enemy Hetzer front to front switch to HE shells.

One of TD I wouldn’t really recommend is the Pz.Sfl. IVc (German Tier 5). Although it has an amazing gun, the disadvantages outweigh. It’s huge, which makes it difficult to take cover. But what it even more worse is the weak armour. Enemy tanks can easily one-shoot this tank using a HE shell.

StuG III Ausf. G is similar to the Hetzer a great TD. It is fast and moveable and has a good gun. The front is well armoured.

Edited by tanair, 29 February 2016 - 11:25 PM.

XBOX ONE

R35T NO MORE #9 Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16164 battles
  • [BNKR-]
Can i actually post a guide here without me getting banned for posting it in the wrong section? I'm serious i don't want to waste time writing one if my fan just gets me banned for it again. 

My WoT tank reviews

If you enjoy them please do share/sub. Thanks. 

CyberValkyr #10 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17396 battles

Ahh, the tank destroyer, a strange but effective tank that can cause tears to the enemy team and be an absolute brute force. This is a class you definitely don't want to tango with. It's feared, strong and powerful...but has one thing missing...a turret! That's right folks, a lot of these tanks come missing with a head and instead fit a huge cannon inside the body. But there's a reason, because the gun is absolutely huuuge! And that's why I'm here to show you how to make unsuspecting tanks cry.

What is a tank destroyer?

Ok, I'll give you a guess. Well you really don't need to think about it for long because it's in the name! It's a tank, that destroys tanks! "But isn't the point of the game to destroy other tanks as well? So why aren't mediums called tank destroyers or heavi--" Shh young one, these are called Tank Destroyers because they are better at blowing things up! However, like I mentioned, they have one major weakness. They lack a turret. This means you cannot fully move your gun around corners, behind you, sometimes not oven past your tracks. And With this drawback, mediums and lights can take their chance to get behind you, doing the tango  But do not fear because these tanks are good at long range. For now on, let's call them TDs because the name 'Tank destroyer' is a bit too long. 

Tiers tank destroyers

So, here is where we get into detail. At first, tier 2-3. This is where TDs start. They are small, bad armoured (excluding the T18, that is monster) but have a gun better than others. This tends to go along for a while but at tier 5, all of a sudden the TDs get more armoured, faster, better gunned, and even recognisable! The Stug, wolverine, they're all there! This continues to carry on all the way up to tier 7. At tier 8, things change. You begin to notice that your gun takes a lot longer to reload but, it does have some tricks up its sleeve. Damage is better, accuracy has been increased and so has your aim time. Everything changes! Even the cost to repair the tank. Things become costly and a miss could be the end of your tank. You really don't want that. It's similar to tier 9 but the great, final, two digit number, the big tier 10. Tanks here do an enormous amount of damage, from 750 all the way up to over 2000. It's crazy! But they are very expensive, and you need to make sure you hit your shots correctly...or it is all over.

Countries

Now, here is where you get your information about the tank that suits you best. You can either be a sneaky german, who doesn't like action and hates explosions. You could probably be an aggressive Russian, who is strong like a bear and is not afraid to be hit and hit harder back. Maybe a British tank? If you hate taking damage but want to see the action, sloooowly drive your way into victory with one of these. What about the French? Use your quick firing gun and good fronta armour to damage your enemies. Or an American. Crush your enemies with your freedom powered cannon and destroy everyone! Not really, you are pretty much the all rounder.

First the Germans. At first you have 2 lines. They both split at tier 5, the Jagdpanzer E-100 line and the WT E-100 line. The Jagdpanzer line is very well armoured with a good hitting guns but bad speed. They are a good support line and can do amazing when it comes to damage. They are a pretty feared line and should never be messed with. However, if you tank these to the front line the likelihood change of a T-44 getting behind you is very high so you want to keep a lookout for those. The other is a sitting behind a bush line. They have absolutely no armour that it makes the French look impressive. They are very well hidden but seen and all guns are at your attention. And don't expect to get away quickly, they aren't that fast. So be one with the bush.

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/AfYfz3I.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/AfYfz3I.jpg</a>

The Jagdtiger, a tank that stirrs fear into the heart of the enemy.

The russians split their tanks later on at tier 7. First of all you have the Object 268 line. A very powerful and feared line that are absolutely high when it comes to damage. The tier 8 uses a B-10 which is widely known as the troll cannon. With 750 damage and over 280mm of penetration all the way through to tier 10 it is an absolute bunch of fun. The other is a much less popular tank line, the Object 263. Why is it unpopular? Well at tier 7 you have an SU-100M1. It's weak when it comes to firepower but is much more mobile than the other tier 7 TD. At tier 8 you have the SU-101. It's pretty much the same as the tier 7. Mediocre gun but pretty mobile. This carries all the way up to tier 9. At tier 10 you have a TD with very strong frontal armour but weak side and rear armour. It's fast and has a good gun.

The ISU-152, a tank that you should definitely run away from.

Coming up is the British. You have 2 completely different types, one has lots of armour, fast firing guns from tier 5-9 and the other has turrets, fast firing guns with good speed but no armour up to tier 9. The first one is the FV215b 183. The tier 5-9 have high DPM (Damage Per Minute), slow speed and a gun that is powered by a loaded on too much caffeine. They fire really fast but the tier 10 is completely different to its predecessors. It's called the FV215b 183 or as the players call it, the death star. How did it get its name? Well this tank has decent speed, armour, and a gun that can take an IS-7 out with only 1 shot. Yes, 1 shot. See where it came from? The second line is different. The tanks are fast with no armour and good fast firing guns. This carries up to tier 9 but the tank is completely different, surprise surprise. But there is a problem with this tank, it's not very good. It's named the FV4005 Stage II or deathstar II. The tank is very, very large, has weak armour, is ever so slightly faster than the Death star 1 and has a very slightly better RoF than the original. The tank I would not recommend but hopefully it will get the attention needed by WG.

The Tortoise. A tank for those who get travel sickness and hate speed.

Now the French. This is a...well peculiar line. First they start off bad from tier 2-4. No armour, weak guns and a pretty slow. Then you get to tier 5. Probably one of the ugliest but most powerful tier 5 tanks in the game. The grind to it is worth it as the tank gets to arm a 105mm gun, something you would find on a tier 7 heavy tank. Now it's not as amazing as a tier 7 heavy but the gun is very good. The tank itself though isn't. Slow, bad armour and has looks that only a mother could love. The tier 6 is...well another bad vehicle. It's slowish, bad turning speed with bad armour, bad camo but good guns. There is a problem. The can barely turn! It's a different challenge but getting through this and you are on a roll. From tier 7-9 you are fast, well armoured and have a good gun. The tier 10 is also different. It's like the tier 9 but has a 3 shot magazine. It takes over 50 seconds to fully reload but each shot can deal a whopping 850 damage. That's 2,550 damage every 50 seconds. The reload is long but the tank is powerful.

The ARL V39...I think it explains itself.

Now at last we have our Americans. With a gun powered by freedom itself and the armour of the American power, these tanks are unstoppable. I really need to stop exaggerating about these tanks. The Americas are a good country when it comes to a  50/50 choice. They have 2 tank lines. Either you pick the T110E3 line, which are slow, heavily armoured and equipped with a powerful gun, or the T110E4 line. A slightly less armoured, similar gunned, a bit more manoeuvrable and come with a turret. They are both good but only you can choose.

The T95, it's the slowest tank in the game but one of the most feared.

What must I never do in a TD?

Being in the front is dangerous but if have armour and is with allies to protect your sides and rear you can attack. If you're alone then stay behind and shoot from long ranges.

Well, the class is pretty straightforward. You stay behind enemy lines, you shoot your gun from long ranged and deal lots of damage. So, commanders, I hope this helps you on your journey to a TD, if not, then I don't think these are you. Roll out!

Formerly known as Zambieslayer28 

Schneller WGA #11 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles

View PostR35T 1N PEACE, on 29 February 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

Can i actually post a guide here without me getting banned for posting it in the wrong section? I'm serious i don't want to waste time writing one if my fan just gets me banned for it again. 

Hmm I don't see why you would get banned, this contest is about guides and helping new players out. 

Please read the WoT rules: 
Game Rules - Forum Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us onFacebookTwitterYouTube &Twitch!

Khor Yserion #12 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14658 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

How to: Tank Destroyer

What is a tank destroyer?

Tank destroyers in WoT are a class of vehicles very focused on their fire power which sacrifice other characteristics like mobility, fully traversable turrets, armor or HP in exchange for immensely powerful guns that often feature high penetration, high alpha damage, good accuracy and/or good fire rates. They rely heavily on their stealthiness and/or superior fire power to defeat enemy tanks instead of outmaneuvring them.

What role does a tank destroyer fill?

Tank destroyers are traditionally seen more as the "sniper" class of tanks due to their often very good guns which allow them to effectively engage enemy forces at longer distances than the more traditional heavy and medium tanks which make up the frontlines of most battles. However, depending on the type of tank destroyer they can also be very effective in roles of both a second line support vehicle or even an assault gun. In general tank destroyers fill a more passive role than the other tank classes so if you prefer a more defensive playstyle or enjoy picking your opponents apart from long range then tank destroyers are probably the right choice for you.

Which types of tank destroyers do exist in WoT and which one should you pick?

The types of tank destroyer in WoT can be roughly differentiated into 3 different categories:

Assault guns: This class of tank destroyers mainly includes the american tank destroyers leading up to the T110E3 starting with the T28 at tier 8 as well as the british tank destroyers leading up to the FV215B183 starting at tier 5 with the AT2. These machines all feature heavy frontal armor which allows them to be more aggressive when assaulting enemy positions as well as fast firing guns with which they can quickly pick their targets apart (in the case of the british TDs) or guns with high damage per shot which can tear huge chunks out of your opponents HP pool (especially the T95, T110E3 and FV215B183). Due to their high durability and strong frontal armor they are perfect for locking down corridors on maps to then advance and clean up the enemy tanks together with their team mates once the enemies are sufficiently damaged. They can also be used to spearhead assaults against dug-in enemy forces, however their rather weak side armor makes them easy targets for their opponents to pick off should they get encircled or flanked and their generally low mobility often prevents them from escaping should the enemy threaten to overwhelm their position.

To effectively use these tanks one must be able to read the flow of the battle and plan in advance where the tank will be the most effective since the low mobility means that it'll take a while to get into position so planning ahead is key. In general these tanks become more effective the more experience (and patience) the tanker commanding them possesses.

Glass cannons/Snipers: These tanks are the polar opposite to the assault guns. They often feature weak armor but have better mobility than their more heavily armored counterparts. Prime examples for this class of vehicle would be the german tank destroyer line leading up to the Waffenträger auf E100 which all feature weak armor but gain immensely powerful and accurate guns in exchange. They are most effective when played more conservatively with a good distance between them and the nearest enemy tank and some bushes to hide behind or some solid object like a rock or a house to get into cover behind should they get detected. Since they are generally very fragile sitting out in the open in front of enemy guns will lead to a fast and frustrating trip back to the garage however when keeping your distance you will be able to easily pick even the strongest enemy tank apart while staying undetected in the process.

If you fancy sniping and keeping your opponent at a distance these tanks are made for you.

Support tanks: By far the largest amount of tank destroyers can be found in this category. Support tanks are generally somewhere in between glass cannons and assault guns with a nice mix of mobility, armor and fire power. Prime examples are the soviet tank destroyers as well as the german Jagdpanzer E100 line and the american T110E4 line. Due to their balanced characteristics they can be played as both a sniper and more aggressively similar to an assault gun, however their real strength comes from the flexibility they provide to the user. These tanks can switch from engaging enemies at long range to taking on foes at short range easily and while they aren't as effective as their dedicated counterparts at any of these roles they also do not have the more severe drawbacks their more specialised brethren suffer from. These tanks are the easiest to learn and play effective since they can fit almost any playstyle and still be effective, particularily the german Jagdpanzer E100 line and the russian Object 268 line are very good lines to get into tank destroyers.

General tips and tricks when playing tank destroyers:

Some things to keep in mind when playing tank destroyers are:

• you are the fire support for your team, move up with them and make sure you are in positions to assist them while they push up or to cover them when they retreat
  • your gun is one of the most valuable assets of your team, keep it firing at the enemy as much as possible. do not hide in positions where you might be 100% safe but can't shoot anything, your team needs you to do damage so make sure you are in a position to engage the enemy as much as possible while taking the least amount of damage as possible
  • tank destroyers are a force multiplier, they are always more effective when working in tandem with other tanks. a lone tank destroyer is a catastrophe waiting to happen so try and not separate yourself from your team too much. do not go to a flank alone, you will get swarmed, encircled and killed.
  • just because you can snipe doesn't mean that you always should. if you don't have shots at the enemy from your current position, move up. don't sit around waiting for targets miles behind your team, push up with them and get your gun in the game
  • if you are forced to engage at short range (e.g. on a city map like Ensk or Himmelsdorf) try and either bait your enemy into taking a snap shot at you by only briefly poking out of cover without exposing much of your tank or use an allied more heavily armored tank like a heavy tank as cover, wait until your enemy fires and then poke out and punish him with the combined fire power of your gun and your team mate
  • try and keep your distance from enemy medium and light tanks, they are fast enough to get around you should they be able to close to short range and since most TDs do not feature turrets (or have very slow turning turrets) that will most likely spell disaster for you and your tank

Since you now know how to play them we should also talk about how to equip your tank destroyer and which skills and perks to train on your crews.

Equipment and crew skills

Let's start outfitting your tank destroyer with equipment to enhance its effectiveness on the battlefield:

Tier 2-6: at lower tiers most tank destroyers play like support tanks/snipers so you should equip your tank to fill this kind of a role. I personally would recommend Binocular Telescope (Binocs), Camoflage Net (Camo Net) and a Gun Rammer to both enhance the stealthiness and view range of your tank as well as your rate of fire and therefore your damage output. Both Camo Net and Binocs can be dismounted again without the cost of gold so you should try and fit them to every TD you drive at those tiers, however removing a gun rammer costs you a bit of gold (or you destroy it without gaining the silver back) so I would only fit it to tanks you plan on driving for a longer time or that you plan on keeping.

Tier 6+:

Assault guns: I personally like to go with Binocs (for enhanced view range when being stationary/defending positions), Gun Rammer and either Enhanced Ventilation (Vents) or Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (GLD) for better fire rate and gun handling. If you don't like using complex equipment due to the gold cost when removing it you can of course go with Binocs, Camo Net and a Gearbox, however at higher tiers (especially tier 8 and upwards) I feel it is just too important to use those equipment pieces so that is when I would start fitting them regardless of whether you can/want to get the silver back when selling the tank.

Snipers: Since these tanks will spend a good amount of time stationary anyways I'd still go with the traditional Binocs, Camo Net, Gun Rammer setup for maximum stealth capabilities as well as enhanced fire power. If you feel like experimenting a bit you can drop the Camo Net for a GLD to get the best possible gun handling and to engage the enemy faster and more effectively.

Support tanks: Here it almost doesn't matter and you should decide based on your playstyle. Do you play more aggressively? Then go with a Gun Rammer, Vents/GLD and either Binocs or Coated Optics. Are you more of a defensive player? Binocs, Camo Net and Gun Rammer are probably the way to go. This class of TDs gives you the most freedom so feel free to experiment with your own setups, those are just the ones I personally found to be very effective.

Now, for the skills you want on your crews:

TDs live off of their stealthiness so Camoflage should be one of the first skills you want to pick up.

Sixth Sense always lets you know whether you've been spotted by the enemy so this should be very high priority for you to get.

Brothers in Arms (BiA) enhances all characteristics of your tank from better acceleration to faster fire rate, better camoflage and faster aim time.

Repairs helps you to repair damaged modules faster so you will get your tracks up faster after getting tracked etc.

Silent Driving and Muffled Shot both help with the stealthiness of your tank, Silent Driving will improve your camo rating when moving allowing you to get into position undetected whereas Muffled Shot will help you stay hidden when firing your fun through bushes or other concealment.

Personally I would train my crew in the following order:

Start out with Camoflage to make your tank harder to detect. Once this skill reaches 100% you have 2 choices: either pay 10 gold and switch it for Sixth Sense (if you have the gold spare you should do this) or just continue on with the next skill. If you switch Camoflage for Sixth Sense you should train Camoflage again afterwards.

Second skill should definitely be Sixth Sense, knowing whether you are detected or not can and will save you from death countless times.

Third should be Repairs to help you get away faster after being tracked.

Fourth skill should be BiA to improve your general tank characteristics.

Fifth and sixth skill should be Silent Driving and Muffled Shot in whichever order you see fit.

After this point you will have a really decent crew and all further skills and perks should be chosen depending on both your playstyle and the tanks you play the most. I recommend checking out further guides on the subject of crew skills so you can make the optimal choices for your playstyle.

Since the dawn of man, unintelligent people have been unable to recognize their own inadequacies, therefore anything that doesn't happen exactly how they imagined it would must be the fault of someone else.

We have come for you, puny humans. Soon the tortured cries of your worthless brethren will fill the air all around you and as the last hour of your pitiful existence draws near you will face the final truth: You will not see a new dawn. There is no peace among the stars, no chosen ones that get spared but only an eternity of pain and slaughter and the mocking laughter of cruel gods.

R35T NO MORE #13 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16164 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostSchneller WGA, on 01 March 2016 - 05:34 PM, said:

Hmm I don't see why you would get banned, this contest is about guides and helping new players out. 

Similar thing has happened before. Good to know, i'll get cracking. 

My WoT tank reviews

If you enjoy them please do share/sub. Thanks. 

Pacestick68 #14 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41866 battles
  • [WOLFE]

The Scout Sniper

Now you may have read my guide on passive spotting located here….

http://forum-console..._st__20#topmost

This will lead you to better understand my basic tactics below

TD are usually support tanks most are turretless with a big gun and armour.  Destroying those vehicles the lead elements detect or are engaged with.  

However, I want to discuss now a specific tank destroyer tactic with a specific type of tank.    These are fast maneuverable with good camouflage factor combined with a good gun.  These are mainly the American Turreted line think –T67, Hellcat, T25/2.  This will be a quick easy guide for how I play these.

Currently my favorite tank in the game is the T67.  I have 3 MOE and 100% damage standing in it, with over 700 games.  I use it as a scout sniper.  I also use these tactics with my scorpion, in which I have 3 MOE also, though not turreted good speed and came value.

Task of the Scout/Sniper

A) Locate the enemy
a. For follow on forces to engage
b. To engage 
c. To cover a specific gap or approach
B) To destroy the targets.

Characteristics

To be an effective Scout/Sniper your vehicle needs the following attributes

a) Speed
b) Good camouflage rating – located in on the vehicle info tab in the garage
c) Good view range

Equipment

To be an effective Scout/Sniper your vehicle needs the following equipment

CAM NET- helps keep you hidden

BINOS – increase view range

Third slot is your preference – optics or vents

I do not equip gun laying drive or gun rammer because as a Scout/Sniper I am always taking well aimed patient shots

Basic Tactics

MOBILITY – pick a spot on the map prior to the start and attempt to get there as quick as ppossible, undetected.

Ideally this position will have

1) Cover from view
2) Good sight lines
3) Covered approach
4) Be located on a flank

To plan for this position move to a spot where the MAX VIEW range (your tanks view range press Y in the garage) slightly overlaps a likely enemy position.  

Example – I know the enemy will cross a ridge.  I place my tank at 430 M from that ridge.  Now I can detect anything that crosses it and with my cam net I can fire, engage it and remain undetected. 

COMMON ERROR – being too close to your target area – let your equipment do the work 

POSITIONING- once in position do not move, keep your equipment active and lessens the chance of detection.  Park in or behind cover (bushes or low ground) In addition you could back in.  These vehicles do not have the armour to take a hit.  Often they accelerate faster going forward than backward so it will be easier to leave.

Plan a secondary position – so you relocate to it if you need to

COMMON ERROR – Coming back in the same location you just left

Plan an escape route – should be under cover and gives a covered approach to your new location

COMMON ERROR – no escape route that is covered so vehicle is destroyed while leaving

TARGET ENGAGEMENT

Big question is when to fire and when not to fire

These are the rules I tend to follow

Do Not Fire

1) When you are undetected and others are engaging your detected targets – you are more use to your team alive and spotting than dead with some damage (this however is range dependent see note one below)
2) If you are alone on a flank and undetected.  When guys get detected they tend to head to cover.  So if you notice multiple vehicles it may be better to hold them in place just by detecting them.  If enough distance exists that you can fire without being detected do so with caution.  Aimed fire will also back guys up but remember your enemies can fire at your tracers and still hit you undetected.  So do not fire quickly just enough to keep the RED guys scared

Fire

1) You are undetected and target is far enough away for you to remain so.  
2) To engage and destroy a target that otherwise may get through the line, or is alone.  Remember this is different than engaging to take out a tank.  AGAIN it is better for you to be alive and spotting than dead with one kill
3) When you are alone and can do damage to a target, this will usually halt their advance
4) You are part of the main force engaging the RED main force
5) You actually have a green spotter in front of you, then just become a sniper and destroy the enemy

Considerations

1) Try to be patient and spot rather than do damage (trust me the damage will still come)
2) When detected use your speed and move to alternate location
3) When engaging the enemy use your speed and attempt to flank (get on the side of) either individual targets or groups, to make it easier for you to do damage
4) Do not be afraid to fall back (run away) it will be easier to pick the fast guys off one by one as they chase you down rather than engage a large group
5) Pay keen attention to the MAP.  With your firepower, speed and mobility it is YOUR JOB to cover gaps in the defence or even to return to defend the base if needed.
6) If no one comes along your approach you must decide if it is better to press to enemy objective, move to support the main effort or fall back to the base.  

Advantages of of working as a scout sniper

1) when top tier you should be able to absolutely shread any target you see, before they even know what happened.
2) when bottom tier you can still be an effective scout that can deal real damage when required.

Disadvantages of working as a Scout/Sniper

1) you may end up facing an enemy rush and die early

2) you may get spotted by a fast scout that is just suiciding for spots, and die early

3) you may find yourself against one or two tanks that will not stop and take cover  when detected, and die early.

GOOD LUCK

The army cannot make you do anything.  It can only make you wish you had done it.

Modern_Ricky_25 #15 Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2102 battles
I am a PlayStation 4 World of tanks players do I add in French tanks? At the moment there are no French Tanks.

Brayan Johnes #16 Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 47599 battles
  • [BGTT]

Hmmm ...
I'm one of the winners of the light tank contest and decided to skip this one to give a chance to somebody else ... but after seeing that there is not even one full page of entries I change my mind and will start to work on mine soon.

Come on folks! What are you waiting for?

Edited by Brayan Johnes, 02 March 2016 - 08:44 AM.

Modern_Ricky_25 #17 Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2102 battles

Ricky's Guide on Tank Destroyers (PS4 Edition)

The Tank Destroyer what a beauty! The Power of it's gun screams fear into your foes hearts! The role of the Tank Destroyer is pretty simple it's in the name! You destroy tanks! Your probably thinking "Damn it will be easy to destroy tanks with a Tank Destroyer" Yes but there is more to this role as Tank Destroyer you have to help your main force advance because your powerful gun is very helpful to your team , the Tank Destroyer can change the tides of the battle if used properly , so this is where my guide begins on how to use a Tank Destroyer to it's fullest!:medal:

​Know your Tank Destroyer!

There are 4 different countries with 4 unique Tank Destroyer lines but there is something that all countries have in common they are all snipers! But some of them are Fast,Slow,Turret and have Super Tough Armor and I will be talking about all of them and how to use it to it's fullest!

Fast Tank Destroyers

If you have a fast Tank Destroyer I would recommend to go to the vantage point at the start of the game as soon at possible. Example If I was playing on Erlenberg I would go to on top of the hill and get the best possible location,where I could deal damage the most.

Slow Tank Destroyers

If your playing a Jg.Pz E-100 I would recommend that you stay back :bush:support your main force by sniping tanks from afar because you are vulnerable to Light Tanks,Mediums,Arty and other Tank Destroyers.These can also be classified as a Super Tough Tank Destroyer.

AfYfz3I.jpg

The Jagditiger is a Slow Tank Destroyer but it can also be a Super Tough Armor Tank Destroyer same as the Tortoise.

Turret Tank Destroyers

These Tank Destroyers are very useful when used properly I recommend to stay close to the main force and use the Peekaboo tactic (:hiding:Pop out of cover and shoot then go into cover) or stay back and sniper like a Slow Tank Destroyer.

Super Tough Armor Tank Destroyers

The T110E3 is a good example of a Super Tough Armor Tank Destroyer it have 305mm only some Tanks can perpetrate this beast frontal armor. These Tank Destroyers can be in the front lines and advance with the main force just becarful not to be flanked by Mediums or Heavys because your side and rear armor is probably weak and can be easily penetrated.They can also be classified as a Slow Tank Destroyer.

LtLWNAh.jpg

The Tortoise is a great exmaple of a Super Tough Armor Tank even some tier 9 have trouble penetrating its armor! 

Things You Should Never do!

You should never go alone , always go in a group you do not your are likely to get destroyed.

Never go into open space as they might result in your death by getting spotted and shot at immediately. 

Things To Watch Out For!

Mediums and Light Tanks are something you should be scared of because they can easily flank you and destroy you from the sides or rear.

Thank you for reading my Guide for the Tank Destroyer! 

YoungestBike679 #18 Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:08 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41832 battles

Hello recruit. Pull up a chair. So you are interested in tank destroyer duty.

First, welcome to World of Tanks - long may you tank!

I’ve been playing for 2 years, mostly in TD’s, and continue to enjoy getting out on the battlefield.

Here’s some thoughts and tips to help you become a member of the game`s lethal elite – the Tank Destroyers.

Vive le difference!

There’s a big difference between tank destroyer models. Some are slow and heavily armoured. Some are fast and have little armour. Generally TD`s have some of the best guns for a given level/tier. Even there you may have to choose between different gun types, usually between higher damage per shot (alpha) vs better accuracy and faster reload. Each group of TD`s has its own play style.  Check out How to Play Tank Destroyers. What sounds good to you?

Increase your intelligence

Don`t worry - your IQ is fine! We`re talking WoT intelligence. The WoT Wiki is a great source of info when choosing a tank. It has the stats for each tank like the WoT Tankopedia, but also the strengths and weaknesses, how to play it and recommendations as to equipment. Note: The info is updated for the WoT PC version so is mostly but not exactly the same as the console version.

There’s also the WoT Console Forum, which has a special discussions section for each country’s tanks.

We need just a little patience

With most TD’s, the best starting tactic is to get to a good ambush position and wait for the enemy to come to you (it won`t be long). Usually you want to hit the enemy at long range from cover. Later in the game is the time to go hunting.

We’ve got a lock!

But if the reticule/aiming circle isn’t red or yellow do I still have a shot? Maybe.  Autolock (right bumper) targets the centre of an enemy tank and that may be hidden. Go into sniper view (LB to sight down barrel and press down on top of right stick) and then move the reticule around to see if you can hit another part of the enemy tank.

Know your enemy

Some enemy tanks are harder to destroy than others. If you keep bouncing shots off a particular model, fire up Google and type the enemy tank model (like T18) plus “WoT” plus “weak spots”. There are lots of sites, like WoT Guru, with guides that show the best places to target on each tank.

It also doesn’t hurt to carry some premium ammo rounds  as these have a better chance of penetrating. Note: By default you need gold credits to buy premium ammo, however pressing the “Y” button toggles to the equivalent price in silver credits. In a game use the “A” button to change between ammo types. 

It’s good to be square

In the bottom right of your screen during a battle you’ll see a circular map showing tanks in your immediate area. As a tank destroyer you want to be engaging enemies well before they get near you. I recommend changing over to the square Mini Map which shows the entire battlefield. This can be done once battle starts under Options/Game/Toggle Mini Map.

Stop and smell the cordite

Don’t be in too much of a hurry to move up to the next tank in the line. In a new tank your crew will usually start at either 50 or 75% efficiency. However as they gain experience you’ll find the overall performance of the tank getting better. In addition to being more fun, this will also increase how many credits you earn. With enough credits you can outfit your tank with optional equipment, such as a camouflage net and periscope. Both of these equipment items are strongly recommended for tank destroyers and will give you a significant advantage.

What tank destroyer line should I start with?

There’s no wrong answer - if you have your heart set on a particular Tier 3 or 4 tank destroyer then pick the appropriate line and go for it. However if you want to try a “sampler” I suggest starting on the American line. You’ll go from a heavily armoured TD to a “glass cannon” (powerful gun and no armour) and then have an option at tier 4 to get a fast turreted TD.   

Here's to you future success on the battlefield. Hope to see you on the green team soon!

Cheers,

YoungestBike679

Edited by YoungestBike679, 03 March 2016 - 03:13 AM.

Brayan Johnes #19 Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 47599 battles
  • [BGTT]

OK ... so you now know how to play with light tanks. They are fast and mobile. It's time to look at the opposite side - slow and heavy. I'm talking about the tank destroyer (also known as TDs for short). The ultimate damage delivery tank class type in WoT. Choose your start tree wisely. Some nations don't offer this type of tanks. Others offer more then one line. I recommend you to start with German, American or Russian tech trees because they offer bigger variety of tank destroyers.

Next thing is to learn the basics and to expaling your role in the battle field . Again some as light tanks -  there is no universal rule that fits them all. Each tanks has it's own combination of characteristics that makes him unique. You need to find a play style that is utilizing its best features and minimize the negative ones. In general Tank destroyers are specialized armored fighting vehicles designed specifically for destroying heavily armored tanks. TDs are usually most front armored vehicles in the game. Many tank destroyers lack a turret, and instead mount their guns in the vehicle's hull. First thing you need to learn before playing in a turretless tanks is that turning the gun beyond a certain point requires turning the vehicle's hull. On the other side moving the hull will result in reseting your accuracy and camouflage. This means that positioning your tank in the right derection is of key importance. Even if your TD have a turrent have in mind that they have slow turret traverse speeds or limited arc radius (not all TDs can turn their turrets 360 degrees). What tank destroyers lack as speed and mobility they compensate with fire power. This class type offers some of the best guns in the game that can penetrate thick armor from big distance with a deadly accuracy. That is why tank destroyers are also knows as the snipers class. There are some exceptions of course. For example Rhm.-Borsig Waffentrager lacks armor and T67 is faster then most mediums and lights.

Your primary role and tactics will vary depending on the opponents you are facing and the TD you are playing. There are big differences between tanks with or without turrets and with or without thick front armor.

Base on opponents:

Tier 2-3
Most of your opponents will be light tanks which are moving constantly. Your primary role is to support your team members and to shot from distance. Focus on the slow enemies first. Pay attention on the enemy if somebody is tracked or stops to aim. This is your chance to punish him with your deadly gun. Use bushes to hide. If your team is advancing try to keep the distance relatively short. It's hard to aim at lights when they are moving from to far. Radio ranges are also low in the lower tiers. Best skills and perks here are Camouflage, Sixth Sense and Adrenaline Rush. Best equipments are Camouflage Net and Enhanced Gun Laying Drive.

Tier 4-6
On this tiers there are more tanks that are relatively slow. Also most TDs are now with thick frontal armor. Your role shift from pure support of light tanks to "hide and snipe". Try to take a spot on the map with good view from where you can see the enemy, but the enemy can't see you. There is big difference in armor  between different tanks. Try to eliminate the opponents with most heavy armor early in the game. Your team relies on you to stop them. There should be enough allied light and medium tanks that can prevent enemies fast tanks from reaching you. Don't go alone or you will become an easy target to enemies light and medium tanks. Best skills and perks here are Camouflage, Sixth Sense and Adrenaline Rush. Best Equipments are Camouflage Net and Enhanced Gun Laying Drive.

Tier 7-10
Most of the tanks on this levels are slow heavies, slow TDs and mediums. Depending on your TDs frontal armor, presence of turret and speed you can play a role similar to brawling heavy tanks or pure sniper using your high camo values to stay concealed behind bush cover. If you play as brawler you need heavy and medium tanks to support you and stop enemies that try to flank you. If you are sniper try to stay undetected and protect your spotters. If the enemy manage to eliminate them you will be in a very disadvantageous position. If your tank don't have strong frontal armor try to stay on the edge of the enemies view distance. Use bushes or popup from cover, deliver damage and fall back to reload.  To not rush your shot. Reload time here are long so take your time to aim. It's pointless to disclose your position without delivering damage. Best skills and perks for snipers are Sixth Sense, Camouflage and Green Thumb. Best Equipments are Camouflage Net and Enhanced Gun Laying Drive. For brawlers best skills are Repair, Jack of All Trades and Deadeye. Best Equipments are Gun Rammer and Toolbox.

Special roles
Depending on the TD features there are some tanks that can be used in a unique style on the battlefield.

Heavy tanks supporter
Instead of hiding behind and sniping you can stay behind a pack of heavy tanks and advance with them providing close support in relatively close area. American T30 or T110E4 are an example of TD that can fit in this role. They have heavy armored turrets that allows them to shoot behind other tanks and are fast enough to keep up after the advancing heavies. Try to stay protected behind your team members. Advance on fire position to deliver your blow and then go back behind to reload.

Enemy line breaker
Some TDs have very strong front armor protection and can be used to breakthrough a heavily defended area. T95 and T110E3 are good examples of TDs best for this role. Try to protected the bottom of your hull and always face your opponents with your thick frontal armor. Use repair kits and toolbox to quickly recover your tracks to avoid being constantly stopped by enemy. You need to advance slowing but constantly delivering high damage on the way. This tactic works best on narrow passes and city maps. Your team members need to protect you as this type of tanks are very slow and have long reloading times. Arties are your prime enemies. If there are many of them and you can't hide reconsider your chances before attacking.

Popup sniper
Some TDs have strong turrets, frontal armor and good gun depression that allows them instead of staying far behind and hiding in bushes to use popup sniper tactic to stay closer to the battle and use the terrain to hide their hull and deliver damage without taking any. American T30 is a good example of such tank destroyer. It heavy turret is hard to be penetrated and excelent gun depression allows it to fire behind sloped terrain. You need to know very well the maps in order to use this tactic effectively. Pay attention to the enemy artillery and enemies that use high explosive rounds.

Enemy finisher
Some TDs can inflict very high damage with one shot. FV215b (183) can do between 863 and 1438 damage with one shot. French AMX 50 Foch (155) features a 3 round 155mm auto-loader with the ability to do an average burst damage of 2550. German Waffentrager auf E100 can deliver 6 shot in less then 15 seconds. You can use them to finish enemies that are not with full health. Popup from cover take the opponents health and fall back for reloading. Do this only if you have allies around you to stop enemies from persecuting you. Even if you take a shot in the process eliminating a strong enemy will open a chance to your team members to breakthrough and finish the remaining enemies.

There are some niche TDs  that can offer a unique playstyle. Here are some examples:
American T67 is a fast TD with a turret that turns on 360 degrees. It can outrun most of the light tanks in the game and have low camo rate. It offers a unique playstyle that is between a light tank and a tank destroyer. You can use it effectively as a spotter, arty hunter and sniper. Use the speed of this tank to outflank slow heavies. Don't try to circle around them, your turret rotation speed is slow for this. Just try to stay behind cover and change position between shots to be always one step ahead and surprise enemies from where they expect you at least. 

Another example is the German E25. It's fast and can reload faster then most lights and mediums. You can use this to quickly change position and finish an enemy before he can return fire. On every shot you take you can shoot back 2, 3 or 4 shots. This works only on light armored thanks that do same amount of damage as you. Don't try to outgun frontally heavy armored tanks with big punch.

As you can see the variety of gameplays that tank destroyers offer are very broad due to the big differences in same tier tanks regarding armor thickness, speed, turrets and damage. You can't change so fast your role during the game as light tanks do. You need to think in advance, choose your tactic early and take position according to it.

Edited by Brayan Johnes, 03 March 2016 - 07:08 PM.

Pacestick68 #20 Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41866 battles
  • [WOLFE]
Good work again everyone

The army cannot make you do anything.  It can only make you wish you had done it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users