Jump to content


Why I Haven't Been Playing And Why I Probably Won't Ever Play Regularly Again


  • Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

theflash52 #81 Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:21 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 26004 battles
  • 1,866
  • [-UNL-]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2014
Finally.

 

 

Follow the lemming, farm the potato.


UnkeptCanine96 #82 Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11981 battles
  • 13,145
  • [BLT]
  • Member since:
    02-16-2014
Hey Turbo.  I'm only going to address the first portion of your post.  Having lopsided games does not mean that the teams are lopsided.  In fact, I'm surprised that more games don't end up lopsided in the end.  It doesn't take much for a battle to become a rout.  Just a little bit of bad luck (bad rng), or even just one or two bad players.  Lets say two groups meet at a choke point.  Team A bounces a few shots while team B hits those shots.  Now team B has a couple tank advantage, and they are now facing team A with 2 more guns firing.  Let the rout begin.

If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Xbox One and Xbox 360

Expose' List

 

VxQzjJa.jpg


Striker93175 #83 Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 3721 battles
  • 187
  • Member since:
    12-05-2015

View PostNot that proud, on 16 March 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

 

Scorpion Pass is currently a PS4 exclusive map. It is the largest map in any version of the game at 1500 m X 1500 m. 

 

Least favourite map regardless of what I'm driving even considering port, sacred valley, and dragon ridge.  Really not a fan at all.

 

 Also as a side note, if you are the sole person to get on the cap the timer is 6 1/2 minutes... Standard battle mind you. Don't even remember the absurdity on encounter. 



killer etzi0 #84 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 59617 battles
  • 19,116
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    06-20-2014

View PostUnkeptCanine96, on 17 March 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

Hey Turbo.  I'm only going to address the first portion of your post.  Having lopsided games does not mean that the teams are lopsided.  In fact, I'm surprised that more games don't end up lopsided in the end.  It doesn't take much for a battle to become a rout.  Just a little bit of bad luck (bad rng), or even just one or two bad players.  Lets say two groups meet at a choke point.  Team A bounces a few shots while team B hits those shots.  Now team B has a couple tank advantage, and they are now facing team A with 2 more guns firing.  Let the rout begin.

 

This is a good point, we've all been part of (on the giving and receiving end) of battles where ones teams first volleys all bounce, and the other teams is doing max damage, 2 minutes into the battle one team has a 4 or 5 tank advantage.

 

Last night had several games in a row where even my wife was like "Wow! Those where very short/quick wins..." It just goes down that way sometimes.

 


"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

 

Ronald Reagan
 

 


Willy66x #85 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16450 battles
  • 103
  • Member since:
    02-23-2014

View PostTurboclicker, on 16 March 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

At one point, I was one of the most active forum users and players. I will not place a rant here.

 

My current and ongoing problem is three-fold. All three stem from a lack of balance in Public Matches.

 

First off, the more important one, games are incredibly lopsided more often than not with one side dominating the other. I rarely have games where both teams seem genuinely balanced and it comes down to critical moments. More often than not, one team just steamrolls the other, and that team could be mine one game, and the red team the next game. The problem with this is I don't feel like I'm contributing all that much either way. If I'm on the winning team, I can do nothing and still win, and if I'm on the losing team, I could get more damage than anyone on either side, get 6 kills, and still lose by 3-4 tanks. I'm not sure how to fix this, but I wish it was fixed regardless.

 

Second, the maps are not the best due to a specific problem. The maps are obviously tailored towards a tank class or two instead of offering options and viability to all five classes. We have plenty of city maps where artillery is crippled, lights are mostly crippled, mediums are not crippled, but are weakened, and heavies and TDs are King. We also have the opposite, field and open maps where Lights, Artilleries, and TDs are in their prime, but Heavies are scared like elephants to mice. That's right, the massive, heavy, well armored and well armed, breakthrough tanks are scared hiding behind bushes because they don't have a role on the map. 

 

I've heard Skorpion Pass is not like this, and that map is genuinely good to all classes, as they have places they can succeed. If so, we need more maps like that, and less maps that restrict how you can play.

 

Third, and this is also a big one, tank balance. This problem is only really present in problematic quantities at tiers VIII through X. The balance below these tiers are generally good. At these tiers however, the game is dominated heavily by specific tanks. The PC game has its own problems with balance, but generally I find it to be the far better game in terms of balance. The main problem tanks at the higher tiers are:

 

  • Certain artillery (M53/55, CGC) are too powerful.
  • TDs as a whole from tiers VIII-X are too powerful.
  • Mediums at tier X, to an extent, are too powerful.
  • Heavies, at tier X, are too weak.
  • Lights, at tiers VI-VIII, are too weak.

 

This creates an atmosphere that isn't fun to play in. Playing a heavy is an exercise in frustration as TDs run rampant in numbers and are not only your direct counter, but are also able to do your role almost as well. Lights, are pretty much replaced by mediums entirely as tier VIII lights don't do much a tier IX or X medium can't do. Mediums are a problem because they do the light's job too well, but also because of how good they are in general. Their penetration is second to only TDs and their playstyle and ability works better than any other class at this tier. I don't know how to fix mediums. Artillery as a whole I find to be a bad game mechanic, but they aren't unbalanced mostly, except for the M53/55 and CGC at this tier. 

 

Of course this is all my opinion, but I do find it to be entirely correct and informed.

 

This thread is only here to hopefully show WG what quite a few players are thinking, and to hopefully improve their game for the better. 

 

I also know this post won't do much, but I wanted to make it anyway.

 

Please show your support if you agree, it is the only way to make progress, even if it is unlikely.

Nicely written. I agree with all of it. The only reason I still play is I bought the year premium at half price. My plan now is to unlock as many lines as I can so if WG does change things with possible platoon battles or clan matches I will have some options. Unfortunately I don't see them respond to posts like this that make good points. I have yet to see a response to any of my questions about team battles such as platoon battles. They seem too busy satisfying the players wanting new bought tanks. 



MadCat1993 #86 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14250 battles
  • 1,216
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostTurboclicker, on 16 March 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

At one point, I was one of the most active forum users and players. I will not place a rant here.

 

My current and ongoing problem is three-fold. All three stem from a lack of balance in Public Matches.

 

First off, the more important one, games are incredibly lopsided more often than not with one side dominating the other. I rarely have games where both teams seem genuinely balanced and it comes down to critical moments. More often than not, one team just steamrolls the other, and that team could be mine one game, and the red team the next game. The problem with this is I don't feel like I'm contributing all that much either way. If I'm on the winning team, I can do nothing and still win, and if I'm on the losing team, I could get more damage than anyone on either side, get 6 kills, and still lose by 3-4 tanks. I'm not sure how to fix this, but I wish it was fixed regardless.

 

Second, the maps are not the best due to a specific problem. The maps are obviously tailored towards a tank class or two instead of offering options and viability to all five classes. We have plenty of city maps where artillery is crippled, lights are mostly crippled, mediums are not crippled, but are weakened, and heavies and TDs are King. We also have the opposite, field and open maps where Lights, Artilleries, and TDs are in their prime, but Heavies are scared like elephants to mice. That's right, the massive, heavy, well armored and well armed, breakthrough tanks are scared hiding behind bushes because they don't have a role on the map. 

 

I've heard Skorpion Pass is not like this, and that map is genuinely good to all classes, as they have places they can succeed. If so, we need more maps like that, and less maps that restrict how you can play.

 

Third, and this is also a big one, tank balance. This problem is only really present in problematic quantities at tiers VIII through X. The balance below these tiers are generally good. At these tiers however, the game is dominated heavily by specific tanks. The PC game has its own problems with balance, but generally I find it to be the far better game in terms of balance. The main problem tanks at the higher tiers are:

 

  • Certain artillery (M53/55, CGC) are too powerful.
  • TDs as a whole from tiers VIII-X are too powerful.
  • Mediums at tier X, to an extent, are too powerful.
  • Heavies, at tier X, are too weak.
  • Lights, at tiers VI-VIII, are too weak.

 

This creates an atmosphere that isn't fun to play in. Playing a heavy is an exercise in frustration as TDs run rampant in numbers and are not only your direct counter, but are also able to do your role almost as well. Lights, are pretty much replaced by mediums entirely as tier VIII lights don't do much a tier IX or X medium can't do. Mediums are a problem because they do the light's job too well, but also because of how good they are in general. Their penetration is second to only TDs and their playstyle and ability works better than any other class at this tier. I don't know how to fix mediums. Artillery as a whole I find to be a bad game mechanic, but they aren't unbalanced mostly, except for the M53/55 and CGC at this tier. 

 

Of course this is all my opinion, but I do find it to be entirely correct and informed.

 

This thread is only here to hopefully show WG what quite a few players are thinking, and to hopefully improve their game for the better. 

 

I also know this post won't do much, but I wanted to make it anyway.

 

Please show your support if you agree, it is the only way to make progress, even if it is unlikely.

 

​I don't entirely agree with the tank balance, but everything else I agree with one-hundred percent. Very well written Turbo.

RadiantPup27709 #87 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 28387 battles
  • 6,707
  • Member since:
    02-06-2014
Goodbye!
I'm surprised you lasted this long.


Ghost Sniper33 #88 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 2261 battles
  • 2,293
  • Member since:
    02-03-2015

If your going to quit, quit don't do this half [edited]crap, either your gone or your not. 



Hiero_Glyph #89 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 270 battles
  • 2,442
  • Member since:
    07-04-2013

View PostGhost Sniper33, on 17 March 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

If your going to quit, quit don't do this half [edited]crap, either your gone or your not. 

 

Honestly, who cares if he quits or jut plays less?  I see nothing wrong with him playing less other than him having more time to troll post in the forums.  I agree with many of his concerns, particularly the lack of balance changes as the meta is becoming very stale.  As more PC tanks are added the power creep will become an issue since there are no balance changes to support these additions (as the new tank's stats are based on the current PC meta, not the console meta which uses the stats from the PC meta 2+ years ago).

Ghost Sniper33 #90 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 2261 battles
  • 2,293
  • Member since:
    02-03-2015

View PostHiero_Glyph, on 17 March 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

 

Honestly, who cares if he quits or jut plays less?  I see nothing wrong with him playing less other than him having more time to troll post in the forums.  I agree with many of his concerns, particularly the lack of balance changes as the meta is becoming very stale.  As more PC tanks are added the power creep will become an issue since there are no balance changes to support these additions (as the new tank's stats are based on the current PC meta, not the console meta which uses the stats from the PC meta 2+ years ago).

Because like you said with some gone this place becomes friendlier.

 

I know I don't agree with alot of people here - things like capping and my outlook of the game - do what make you happy not the "do it my way or the high way" type.

 

But you can disagree with some - like yourself and it doesn't turn into a pissing match.  Others like the OP can you can't do this. 



LacqueredBacon #91 Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:53 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36115 battles
  • 6,292
  • Member since:
    02-02-2015

Turbo,

 

I agree that there are some frustrating aspects of the game but it isn't enough for me to leave.  I am sorry you feel otherwise.  To your points:

 

1. Team balance.  I don't think I agree.  There is too much randomness in tanks, abilities, and RNG to say there is a problem.  I bounced two shots off of a waffle while in a Centurion 7/1 this morning.  As a result, the IS-7 I was supporting was destroyed and instead of 3 against 1 (there was a reloading AMX 50B that the IS-7 would have been able to kill with one more shot but it didn't happen), it was 2 against 3 and it didn't work out well.  It happens.  I don't think that is an unbalance that WG needs to fix.

 

2.  Maps.  I agree in general but I find these limitations affect both teams equally.  So while it would better to have more well rounded maps, I don't think it affects the actual games too much in terms of game play.  It certainly does not affect my enjoyment.

 

3.  Tank balance.  I agree for the most part at higher tiers.  Some of that is related to platoons of the same type.  I have only recently (relatively) reached tier X though so so I am not as frustrated (yet).  I have found that at tier X, there are some tanks (like the IS-4) that don't have a real place, even though they are good tanks.  So the breadth of tanks you see is much narrower than at lower tiers.



 


BULLPUPBAKERST1 #92 Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 52482 battles
  • 13,930
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    12-27-2014
Honestly Turbo, I think the game has just run its course for you...there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps 3 months off will rekindle interest/satisfaction for you but I doubt it. 

 

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

 


II NO x VICE II #93 Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 38858 battles
  • 3,326
  • Member since:
    07-27-2014

Great post Turbo - well thought out and well written. I agree with this.

 

I don't see myself at Tier X (mediocre stats), likely going to stop playing once my premium time runs out at the end of this year. 

 

I see so many instances with routs where say, almost all the winning tanks have camos, the losing side almost none with camo. In other cases, the winning side toppers have fired, say 11 shells, with 11 penetrations for 2k-3k damage (what are they shooting - god mode shells ?), the losing side toppers will be like 22 shells fired 10 pens and say 1-2k damage (again, pew-pew shooters?). I routinely check the results to see stuff like that.

 

It is my belief that - randomly but many times - more skilled/outfitted/APCR tanks go to one side and in those cases, the frontline confrontation is fairly quick and decisive, leading to an overwhelming victory soon thereafter. While this does not happen every time, I have seen it happen often enough in my case. I also remember in the past many victories where I was the last one against 1-3 tanks and had won. This almost never hapoens (this is a very different game now than before)

 

Now an obvious solution to this would be - once the tanks are selected by MM, a secondary MM/reshuffle based on ammo ratio/loadout, crew skills, camo, average penetration/alpha/ROF etc can be done to get the best balance. However, then the game would likely be prolonged and this point is not neccessarily advantaegous to WG. I suspect WG knows about this, but they would want to keep the number of games played/hour to be high, with quick games being favored over the lengthy ones (server resources/load/response-time/hardware-utlization, faster player recycle etc: obvious reasons).

 

The free to play model likely neccessitates faster turnaround per game. It keeps the better players happy (for the most part) since they mostly get their daily fix in, plus keeps noobs cycling endlessly not thinking about strategy (fine by WG - as long as there is a healthy number always available).

 

I do not see a reason for WG to change this anytime soon - it is already working in their favor and their profits are likely rising and a few discontended players here and there are no reason to stop and do an about turn.

 

So, once again, great post Turbo. And lets hope someone will listen in.

 

 

 

 



Hiero_Glyph #94 Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 270 battles
  • 2,442
  • Member since:
    07-04-2013

View PostBULLPUPBAKERST1, on 17 March 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Honestly Turbo, I think the game has just run its course for you...there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps 3 months off will rekindle interest/satisfaction for you but I doubt it. 

 

It's not the game but the lack of meaningful updates.  I mean even some of the newest maps we got are already outdated on PC and have been changed.  The lack of balance changes has made the meta incredibly stale and the new Firefly line isn't going to shake up the scene at all.  While not all PC changes are positive it is forcing the game to evolve, whereas the console version has been pretty stagnant of late.

giaka #95 Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 44421 battles
  • 19,574
  • [WTAF]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2013

View PostMobius Y, on 16 March 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

So long as you're not one of those imbeciles that takes your slower Ruskie and German heavy tanks to the field... Mali is a great map for heavies.

 

All three of those maps he mentioned are great for any tank including heavies. 

 

Having said that I agree with Turbo except maybe the Light Tank part, LOL. Its not stopping me from playing though. Last night I was on the bad team 75% of the time and I happen to be grinding stock tanks that cant carry. It was a miserable experience. I mean look at my stats for the last couple of weeks. Most blue and purple with high 60% win rate. Last nigh I was yellow with a 35% win rate. WTH? Yes it was my fault to some extent but when you are holding a flank and doing "OK" and start getting shot in butt because the rest of the team is dead in the first 4 minutes of the match there really isn't much you can do. 


WG Balance 101, If a tank has a high survival rate, nerf its gun.

 

 

 


LIFE ON MARS15 #96 Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 15877 battles
  • 104
  • [M3T4L]
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

View PostTurboclicker, on 16 March 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

At one point, I was one of the most active forum users and players. I will not place a rant here.

 

My current and ongoing problem is three-fold. All three stem from a lack of balance in Public Matches.

 

First off, the more important one, games are incredibly lopsided more often than not with one side dominating the other. I rarely have games where both teams seem genuinely balanced and it comes down to critical moments. More often than not, one team just steamrolls the other, and that team could be mine one game, and the red team the next game. The problem with this is I don't feel like I'm contributing all that much either way. If I'm on the winning team, I can do nothing and still win, and if I'm on the losing team, I could get more damage than anyone on either side, get 6 kills, and still lose by 3-4 tanks. I'm not sure how to fix this, but I wish it was fixed regardless.

 

Second, the maps are not the best due to a specific problem. The maps are obviously tailored towards a tank class or two instead of offering options and viability to all five classes. We have plenty of city maps where artillery is crippled, lights are mostly crippled, mediums are not crippled, but are weakened, and heavies and TDs are King. We also have the opposite, field and open maps where Lights, Artilleries, and TDs are in their prime, but Heavies are scared like elephants to mice. That's right, the massive, heavy, well armored and well armed, breakthrough tanks are scared hiding behind bushes because they don't have a role on the map. 

 

I've heard Skorpion Pass is not like this, and that map is genuinely good to all classes, as they have places they can succeed. If so, we need more maps like that, and less maps that restrict how you can play.

 

Third, and this is also a big one, tank balance. This problem is only really present in problematic quantities at tiers VIII through X. The balance below these tiers are generally good. At these tiers however, the game is dominated heavily by specific tanks. The PC game has its own problems with balance, but generally I find it to be the far better game in terms of balance. The main problem tanks at the higher tiers are:

 

  • Certain artillery (M53/55, CGC) are too powerful.
  • TDs as a whole from tiers VIII-X are too powerful.
  • Mediums at tier X, to an extent, are too powerful.
  • Heavies, at tier X, are too weak.
  • Lights, at tiers VI-VIII, are too weak.

 

This creates an atmosphere that isn't fun to play in. Playing a heavy is an exercise in frustration as TDs run rampant in numbers and are not only your direct counter, but are also able to do your role almost as well. Lights, are pretty much replaced by mediums entirely as tier VIII lights don't do much a tier IX or X medium can't do. Mediums are a problem because they do the light's job too well, but also because of how good they are in general. Their penetration is second to only TDs and their playstyle and ability works better than any other class at this tier. I don't know how to fix mediums. Artillery as a whole I find to be a bad game mechanic, but they aren't unbalanced mostly, except for the M53/55 and CGC at this tier. 

 

Of course this is all my opinion, but I do find it to be entirely correct and informed.

 

This thread is only here to hopefully show WG what quite a few players are thinking, and to hopefully improve their game for the better. 

 

I also know this post won't do much, but I wanted to make it anyway.

 

Please show your support if you agree, it is the only way to make progress, even if it is unlikely.

 



LIFE ON MARS15 #97 Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 15877 battles
  • 104
  • [M3T4L]
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

Boy you are right on target, no pun intended but I support you and your cause 100%

The problem now is if WOT can fine tune this game  so it's a little more balanced

WG please  address this issue

thank you and good night



Cobravert #98 Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 27520 battles
  • 3,841
  • [WPLAC]
  • Member since:
    03-10-2014

View PostWolfEagle1, on 16 March 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

1) nerf higher level TD's

2) max of 3 person platoons

3) limit arty to 2 per team

4) balance team composition by WG player rating.  For example, highest rated player to green, next two to red, etc... Platooned payers would be averaged.  

1) Disagree, at least not across the board. The ones (SU turretless line) I use do hit hard, but are just as prone to bounces as anything else. Being a fixed gun, limited turning speed, and rather thin skinned, if I were at any further disadvantage I may as well abandon the line.

2) Agree

3) ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY

4) Sounds like a good plan, but doubtful they would ever implement anything. (Platoon payers) I realize that's a typo, but there is some reality to it as well.

Type 59

Type 59

Type 59

Type 59

(or insert other OP Premium tank)

 

Really tired of seeing these types of things. Granted they aren't doing anything 'wrong'. It's just cheap way to play.



SauerKrapp #99 Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 35360 battles
  • 2,339
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    03-14-2015

View Postkiller etzi0, on 17 March 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

 

This is a good point, we've all been part of (on the giving and receiving end) of battles where ones teams first volleys all bounce, and the other teams is doing max damage, 2 minutes into the battle one team has a 4 or 5 tank advantage.

 

Last night had several games in a row where even my wife was like "Wow! Those where very short/quick wins..." It just goes down that way sometimes.

 

 

But remember what your parents taught you, "It's always better to give then receive!"   :trollface:

 

Signature by METALHELLIONx84

 


Turboclicker #100 Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 22110 battles
  • 34,726
  • Member since:
    08-20-2013

View PostGhost Sniper33, on 17 March 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

If your going to quit, quit don't do this half [edited]crap, either your gone or your not. 

 

If you cared to read the post, I have already quit for ~2-3 months. This is my last attempt to improve the problems I have.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users