• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Gigantic Owl #21 Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22093 battles
  • [RDDT]

View PostGiddyy, on 23 July 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

Isn't there an updated version of this by JustAnAce and RoofisOnFire?

Yup. Thats its alot more detailed and the community has been begging for it to be pinned too.

An actual gameplay expert

Check out my guides on the bunker.  http://thebunker.fre...ide-compilation

Violet Viper x #22 Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5281 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostGigantic Owl, on 23 July 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

Yup. Thats its alot more detailed and the community has been begging for it to be pinned too.

It got pinned....but it got pinned in the Tank Academy section.

R35T NO MORE #23 Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16093 battles
  • [BNKR-]

Yet this one gets pinned in GD. Figures. 

Thanks for putting the effort into making the guide Dr Bodge, however I do find the fact that WG put yours here, yet a guide made by a player who is often critical of WG, gets moved to what amounts to a ghost town section..odd. 

My WoT tank reviews

If you enjoy them please do share/sub. Thanks. 

Gigantic Owl #24 Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22093 battles
  • [RDDT]

View PostR35T 1N PEACE, on 23 July 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Yet this one gets pinned in GD. Figures. 

Thanks for putting the effort into making the guide Dr Bodge, however I do find the fact that WG put yours here, yet a guide made by a player who is often critical of WG, gets moved to what amounts to a ghost town section..odd. 

Same reason I get banned for stuff iv never seen them punish others for (making a post that should go to support) WG loves to hold a grudge.

An actual gameplay expert

Check out my guides on the bunker.  http://thebunker.fre...ide-compilation

tommyshoe #25 Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 7081 battles
Where do you even find the tank academy section of the forum???

Thanks to Violet Viper for my awesome signature!!

l Parko l #26 Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 37630 battles
  • [TRNDO]
Great map guide, the best ive seen so far :great:

Currently 87 3 marked tanks -

Twitch / Youtube

TocFanKe4 #27 Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21102 battles
  • [GIRLS]
Dr. Bodge is pretty cool.

My dislike of +/- 1 pales in comparison to my hatred of Loaded Dice.

Moisterrr #28 Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14622 battles

View Posttommyshoe, on 23 July 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Legend says you need a link from The Potato God himself, it is not open to the mere mortal.

Violet Viper x #29 Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5281 battles
  • [BNKR]

View Posttommyshoe, on 23 July 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

Tank academy got moved, yesterday, to the newcomers section.

Derelictus #30 Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13504 battles
  • [VGC]

View PostViolet Viper x, on 23 July 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

Tank academy got moved, yesterday, to the newcomers section.

There's a Newcomer's Section?

:trollface:

Zulu Calm #31 Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19654 battles
  • [BNKR]

These are brilliant. Dr.Bodge, as I've said before you're a genius and I always enjoy reading your posts. I don't know what you do in r/l but I'd work with you in a heartbeat.

Sig image created by the remarkably talented xRoni7x

I'm also a subscriber to another great WOT forum The Bunker http://thebunker.freeforums.net/

and a proud member of The Bunker clan (BNKR)

Dr Bodge #32 Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Correction: No sooner do I finish my post than the thread is thrown back into the wilderness. Ho hum. Such is life.

Well this was a surprise. I see this thread has been moved from Maps to GD. Hopefully a few more people may read it now. I have been away for a while and hadn't been visiting the forum so I will take this opportunity to respond to the comments.

With regard to other map guides, I was not aware that JustAnAce & RoofIsOnFire had based their guide on mine to any degree. Regardless of that they put an awful lot of work into it and I feel it is just as worth of being pinned as mine. I cannot comment on the decision not to pin theirs as I have no insight into how these decisions are made, 

However, I do not feel that the two guides are that similar. I gave a lot of thought to how to write my guides and I felt that, while the traditional 'heavies go here, lights go there' guides appear to contain a lot of detail and are accessible to newer players, they are ultimately much less useful. I believe that such a simplistic approach will only get you so far and the difference between good and great players is their capacity to understand the balance and flow of the game. For instance I believe the crude distinction between tank classes are very unhelpful. To consider an AT and a E25 as interchangeable is extremely unwise. Equally to treat a bottom-tier and top-tier heavy in the same way is, in my opinion, poor play. To optimise your chance of winning I feel you must try to maximise your impact on the game, and in order to do this you must understand how a map is won and lost, how key areas will act as a force multiplier for instance and the tempo of the game. Initial deployment is part of this, but only one part. I have tried in my guides to draw the reader into a deeper consideration of the way each map plays out so they will be better able to recognise and exploit (or correct) tactical mistakes and continue to make optimal decisions into the mid and late game rather than relying on a fixed approach.

I would love to keep writing these guides but the reception was considerably more muted than I felt the material deserved. I am sure I am not the only poster who believes their contributions are worth reading but I am confident that I possess original perspectives on the game, and not just with respect to map strategy. After I had completed the guides I had intended to tackle a number of other crucial areas*. I have greatly appreciated the flattery of the few players who have understood what I was trying to achieve (Zulu, TocFanKe4 et al) and would like to apologise to them for my limited output. Unfortunately I simply don't have the time and energy to keep writing long articles when so few are reading. Hopefully the new home in GD will generate a little more interest and I will be unable to resist the temptation of a receptive audience.

* The first of these was to be a robust, evidence based metric for assessing the absolute impact of key variables such as premium time, premium ammo, food consumables, equipment and crew skills on performance, allowing players to optimise their play much more objectively than is currently possible. A second series of articles would have outlined a new alternative player ranking system that can correct (both WR and WN8) for platooning, seal clubbing, re-rolling and any other forms of padding. The work on both is already done but it needs to be tidied up.

Edited by Dr Bodge, 25 July 2016 - 06:56 PM.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

Moisterrr #33 Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14622 battles

View PostDr Bodge, on 25 July 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Your map guide obviously had a lot of time and thought put into it and WGCB kind of gave you the finger after Raibot was nice enough to pin it on the main page. In my opinion yours and Roof/Ace's guides should have been pinned to main, with yours focusing on the in depth and the other being very simple and easy to digest. Unfortunately Ace has burnt all his bridges with WG mods and they refused to put his on the main page, so instead they dragged yours down here with his :P

I personally prefer Roof and Ace's guide for new players because in my mind new players are unlikely spend the amount of time needed reading your guides on a game that they are new, hell I could probably learn a language in that time haha. However your guide is certainly more useful to advanced players who want to polish their strats on a few particular maps in pubs. Both parties put in a lot of effort and it's only natural that WGCB ignore it...

JONAS 9804 #34 Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11498 battles
I like Dr Bodge.

the metronome #35 Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 51565 battles

Developing map awareness and familiarity were two of the three most important things for figuring this game out for me in the beta days. Just checking out Jingles/QB etc and looking for links to map strategies were crucial in developing any sense of competence. If we had this kind of resource in one place to start with? That process would have been much faster, for sure.

These are wonderfully thought out, explained, and do an excellent job of describing just WHY certain areas of the map are more important/useful than others. Which in turn makes it easier to adjust to new maps because you're looking for certain characteristics/terrain that you can exploit. 

So, Bodge, I certainly hope you revisit them and keep updating because they are some of the best guides I've read anywhere. And, trust me, I've looked at a lot of them.  (Ace's and Roof's Where To Tank guide is great as well, by the way)

There's a fine line between being a flaming angel of death riding wings of vengeance and fury, and being Mr. Potato Head limping around on one leg while missing a nose and an ear.

Schneller WGA #36 Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles

View PostGiddyy, on 26 July 2016 - 06:59 AM, said:

I personally prefer Roof and Ace's guide for new players because in my mind new players are unlikely spend the amount of time needed reading your guides on a game that they are new, hell I could probably learn a language in that time haha. However your guide is certainly more useful to advanced players who want to polish their strats on a few particular maps in pubs. Both parties put in a lot of effort and it's only natural that WGCB ignore it...

These guides aren't being ignored, they are being placed in the most appropriate place they can be. 

Please read the WoT rules: 
Game Rules - Forum Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us onFacebookTwitterYouTube &Twitch!

Moisterrr #37 Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14622 battles

View PostSchneller WGA, on 26 July 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

These guides aren't being ignored, they are being placed in the most appropriate place they can be. 

Even if that's what you really believe, how many new players actually come to this part of the forum rather than just go to main? When I first came to the forum I went straight to general discussion as that's where everything seemed to be at, I'm sure most people are the same. A lot of people want content like this as well as more in depth stats to be available in the game for new players as there is not really any information in game at the moment. If you want to become good at the game you have to do your your own research :/

R35T NO MORE #38 Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16093 battles
  • [BNKR-]
At least these guides got pinned. I was the first to make a map guide thread, many months ago and mine just drowned in GD. It had the best map artwork anyone has ever seen! ​

My WoT tank reviews

If you enjoy them please do share/sub. Thanks. 

Dr Bodge #39 Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

I am sorry to hear that your trail blazing map guide sunk without trace. I would be interested to read it if you can find a link to it. I am always curious to see how other peoples interpretations (and presentations) differ from (or match) my own.

I would prefer to avoid this thread degenerating into "What's wrong with the forum!" and so have posted my own feelings on this issue into the Suggestions folder which must surely be the appropriate place for them.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

Schneller WGA #40 Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles

View PostDr Bodge, on 27 July 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

I am sorry to hear that your trail blazing map guide sunk without trace. I would be interested to read it if you can find a link to it. I am always curious to see how other peoples interpretations (and presentations) differ from (or match) my own.

I would prefer to avoid this thread degenerating into "What's wrong with the forum!" and so have posted my own feelings on this issue into the Suggestions folder which must surely be the appropriate place for them.

You went to the right place for sharing your feedback/suggestions, thank you. 

Please read the WoT rules: 
Game Rules - Forum Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us onFacebookTwitterYouTube &Twitch!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users