Map 1: Abbey (Intermediate)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Dr Bodge #1 Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Dr Bodge's Guide to Abbey (Intermediate)

Map Overview

Although Abbey is actually a very simple map it does seem to confuse a lot of players. I can relate to this, since it took me quite a while until I felt I understood it. I believe this is because it is a very limiting map for several tank classes, which can make it quite frustrating. The map is dominated by the West flank which consists of the Valley Road and both Plateaus. If you win here you have no excuse for losing the game.

The Valley Road

This is, in itself, almost worthless. It gives neither spotting opportunities nor lines of fire. However, it is by controlling this flank that you control the Plateaus (North and/or South). These are the real prize. The valley road only really awards you the capacity to move quickly and safely along the West flank, which does not distinguish it from the River Road.

Plateaus

Control your own and you should not lose. Control both and you should easily win. They combine good views of the cap with plentiful hard, and soft, cover. From them you can control the Bases, the Fields, the Town and the High Road. You are also in a position to nullify any enemy in the Abbey itself.

Abbey

The Abbey is a mixed bag, powerful when you dominate the game but weak defensively. Controlling it can help support either flank but cannot deliver victory against either by itself. It can also be a high-risk strategy to try to control it as it is easy to become trapped. Denying it to the enemy (by controlling the High Road) is more important than controlling it yourself but if you are confident you can hold it then it is worth taking.

The Roads

Trying to push along either of the Abbey Roads early in the game is foolish in the extreme. Once you have passed the Abbey you find yourself in the Fields, open ground overlooked by the Plateaus, the bases and even the Abbey. You have also lost the support of the campers in your base.

The River Road

With the rare exception of an intelligence-driven opportunistic flanking manouvre The River Road is a pointless waste of resources. It is linear, offering defenders a natural advantage. Worse still, winning the Road leads you into open ground overlooked on several sides. A successful push here is merely capitalising on the enemy losing elsewhere or showing poor map awareness. Any strategy that relies on the enemy being worse than you is not a good bet. One marginal benefit is access to a slightly raised area of ground between the Low Road and the River Road but this does not offer the same level of influence as the Plateaus on the west flank.

Optimal Strategy

Win the West Flank. Don’t Lose the Abbey. Don’t ignore the East Flank.

Biggest Mistakes

• Failing to give sufficient priority to the West Flank.
  • Failing to recognise that success in the West is a symptom of an enemy push in the East. This can turn what should be an easy win into a cap race. Once the West Flank is won, first make sure your cap is safe, then take the Abbey. Game over.
  • Trying to cap if you don’t control the West. Generally a bad move unless you have already effectively won the game, in which case why cap? If you win the East, return to Base to defend then take the West Flank.
  • Failing to make the enemy pay for controlling the Abbey. If you don’t at least keep them spotted in the Abbey they can snipe against you on the flanks.

Edited by Dr Bodge, 28 March 2016 - 01:05 PM.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

cosmicray1 #2 Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12257 battles
Thanks for the advice. 

R35T NO MORE #3 Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16093 battles
  • [BNKR-]
I always secure the abbey unless using a very heavy tank. No enemy can cap if you have it, nor can any enemy safely leave any flank and it's easy to eliminate any tank that tries to spot you, plus you can permatrack anyone trying to come up and get you out. You do need very good situational awareness though. 

My WoT tank reviews

If you enjoy them please do share/sub. Thanks. 

K31th1972 #4 Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Private

• Players
  • 15176 battles
Well done, tanks for your time and effort

KILTED YAKSMIN #5 Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 60748 battles
I like these advise posts. There was one recently about Normandy. Don't go down the beach it said. So I went down the beach and there was no one to be seen. Great. A free trip to flank them, kill their arty and sit on their base forcing them to turn and try to stop the cap. This allowed my team to push hard and ended up with a convincing win. hahaha. No cap. Never intended to.

begbeee_svk #6 Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16476 battles
Where should scouts go? 

MaD for BACON #7 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25331 battles

View Postbegbeee_svk, on 15 May 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Where should scouts go? 

http://forum-console...our-tank-guide/

Dr Bodge #8 Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

View PostKILTED YAKSMIN, on 15 May 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I like these advise posts. There was one recently about Normandy. Don't go down the beach it said. So I went down the beach and there was no one to be seen. Great. A free trip to flank them, kill their arty and sit on their base forcing them to turn and try to stop the cap. This allowed my team to push hard and ended up with a convincing win. hahaha. No cap. Never intended to.

I don't mean to be critical but if your comment intended to be serious and not just a lighthearted anecdote then it suggests your strategic grasp of the game is relatively unsophisticated. On the plus side this could provide you with an opportunity to improve.

The Beach is generally considered, with good reason, to be something akin to the valley on Lakeville i.e. a relatively unimportant flank that seems irresistible to poor players. The crucial element that you seem to have overlooked is that the beach turning out to be empty was just a stroke of luck on your part. This was a classic example of a bad strategy paying off. Unless of course you carefully read the team sheets and deduced that nobody was likely to go there, based on their tank types, in which case your grasp of the game far exceeds mine. I salute you.

If you win, this does not mean the initial strategy was sound, nor that a sound strategy will always result in a win. It is a game of probabilities. A sound strategy will result in a win more often than a poor one. 'Even a stopped clock....etc'. The purpose of guides like this is to allow player to end up on the winning side more often rather than less, not to gift anyone a 100% win rate. I maintain, with a fair degree of support (I believe) that a team trying to win the game via the beach is a poor strategy. 

Defend it by all means. Go there for a simple, strategy free joust, if you must. But don't claim you are going there to win the game.

KILTED YAKSMIN #9 Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

Major

• Players
  • 60748 battles

View PostDr Bodge, on 16 May 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

I don't mean to be critical but if your comment intended to be serious and not just a lighthearted anecdote then it suggests your strategic grasp of the game is relatively unsophisticated. On the plus side this could provide you with an opportunity to improve.

The Beach is generally considered, with good reason, to be something akin to the valley on Lakeville i.e. a relatively unimportant flank that seems irresistible to poor players. The crucial element that you seem to have overlooked is that the beach turning out to be empty was just a stroke of luck on your part. This was a classic example of a bad strategy paying off. Unless of course you carefully read the team sheets and deduced that nobody was likely to go there, based on their tank types, in which case your grasp of the game far exceeds mine. I salute you.

If you win, this does not mean the initial strategy was sound, nor that a sound strategy will always result in a win. It is a game of probabilities. A sound strategy will result in a win more often than a poor one. 'Even a stopped clock....etc'. The purpose of guides like this is to allow player to end up on the winning side more often rather than less, not to gift anyone a 100% win rate. I maintain, with a fair degree of support (I believe) that a team trying to win the game via the beach is a poor strategy. 

Defend it by all means. Go there for a simple, strategy free joust, if you must. But don't claim you are going there to win the game.

I just tend to go where no one else wants to. Why. Because I can. No other reason than that.

begbeee_svk #10 Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16476 battles

View PostMaD for BACON, on 16 May 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

Oh I see. Take it to the balcony where I meet that medium tank which is in the guide too. In fact there is no place where a light tank can be effective on this map. And don't get me wrong, I am not that bad light driver. 

DoggieDaddyDave #11 Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11313 battles
OP thanks for the overview of this map. I was not a fan of this map initially as I seemed to get it every other battle but now that it doesn't come up as much in my map rotation I enjoy it more now.

HoodedWildKard #12 Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8085 battles
  • [BNKR]
Good guide, my only nitpick is that the middle of the valley road offers good line of sight to the abbey and anyone silly enough to go to the west road. I've pulled some nice shots from those ridges into combatants fighting over town because they tend to hull down near the centre of the abbey giving you good flanking shots.

"I hate nobody except Hitler, and that is professional" Winston Churchill.

Trolls crave our attention. Arguments or indeed any response provides them with nourishment, let them starve.

signature.png

I'm always looking for new platoon mates to play with so if you have a mic and play on xbox one, hit me up so amusing team times can ensue.

Dr Bodge #13 Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

View Postbegbeee_svk, on 16 May 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Oh I see. Take it to the balcony where I meet that medium tank which is in the guide too. In fact there is no place where a light tank can be effective on this map. And don't get me wrong, I am not that bad light driver. 

I can see why you would feel that. It certainly isn't a very Light friendly map. I think perhaps you need to change the way you look at this map (and perhaps others).

Some maps have clear Light Tank areas and Heavy Tank areas. It is easy to play them. You just go to your favourite spot and do your thing. Some maps aren't like this, and Abbey is an example. The problem is that there are no safe areas. Nowhere you can go that a medium might no also be able to access or even a Heavy. There is so much cover and dead ground that you could run into almost anything along the central line. On the other hand if you avoid the centre line you don't spot and don't do damage.

You must learn to see the map in terms of areas you 'borrow'. You nip in, spot etc and then get out if things look nasty. don't over-commit and stay alive. In the end game you are invaluable as a LT. Read the team rosters closely. Is the enemy likely to rush the West? If not get there first and Scout. if noone is there then harass the centre. If your team don't follow then don't let yourself get cornered. Is the enemy short of fast tanks? Then maybe rush the centre but wait to see where the enemy go first. Never let yourself get cornered. The cap circles are hard to hold against an enemy team with good viewrange. Use this. Once the teams have been whittled down the map opens right up. if the teams over-commit to the flanks then you can sometimes even use your speed to rush right through the centre during midgame to outflank defenders.

They keys are (as always with LTs) - Start quickly, get forward, see where the enemy are going and then be somewhere else, either on their flank or where they are not. Don't get cornered and stay alive. Enjoy the endgame, whichever way it goes. That is your time to shine.

Edited by Dr Bodge, 16 May 2017 - 01:30 PM.

Sly Indasky #14 Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14462 battles
  • [D12UN]

View PostKILTED YAKSMIN, on 15 May 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Because many people don't understand that "don't go there" or "don't waste resources trying to win that place" doesn't mean they shouldn't do something to keep it under control which can be done with few tanks. 

This is true for the beach on Overlord, the valley on Lakeville, the river road on Abbey, the bridge on Mountain Pass, SE ridge on Westfield and so on...

Edited by Sly Indasky, 16 May 2017 - 01:48 PM.

EamonnanChnoic #15 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

View PostKILTED YAKSMIN, on 15 May 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

I pray you are in a very fast Light Tank when you go running off all by yourself!

Actually, that's the only thing that should be running off by itself because they have the speed to come running back to the Greens as fast as they can if they meet the Reds!

PS4 (current) Xbox (retired)

I love Light Tanks

EamonnanChnoic #16 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

View PostDr Bodge, on 16 May 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

You nip in, spot etc and then get out if things look nasty. don't over-commit and stay alive. 

They keys are (as always with LTs) - Start quickly, get forward, see where the enemy are going and then be somewhere else, either on their flank or where they are not. Don't get cornered and stay alive. Enjoy the endgame, whichever way it goes. That is your time to shine.

:great:

Light Tank theory: We don't set up in spots and stay there.

We go spot and then move to section of the map where the Greens have an advantage.

We're constantly looking for an opportunity to go take a big flank bite out of some busy Red who is fighting a Green.

This will help them smash through and win the game. We're a force multiplier on the attack.

Edited by EamonnanChnoic, 16 May 2017 - 02:38 PM.

I love Light Tanks

EamonnanChnoic #17 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

The Town

So important. Basically it's the center of the map.

Some people think they should go high and conquer the Abbey directly.

...but you can control The Abbey and The Valley Road from The Town.

I've snuck up to The Abbey from The Town to pick off lone Scouts quite often...

...not to mention all the side flanking shots from The Town to The Valley Road.

Plus you can spot both bases from The Town.

Map control, right?

I love Light Tanks

MaD for BACON #18 Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25331 battles

View Postbegbeee_svk, on 16 May 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

Well, don't go up in there by yourself. :B

EamonnanChnoic #19 Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

View PostMaD for BACON, on 16 May 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Well, don't go up in there by yourself. :B

:D

Light Tanker Commandment #1: "Oh here's the Reds...and there are no Greens here...and I am LEAVING RIGHT NOW GOOD BYE!"

I love Light Tanks

MaD for BACON #20 Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25331 battles

View PostEamonnanChnoic, on 16 May 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

:D

Light Tanker Commandment #1: "Oh here's the Reds...and there are no Greens here...and I am LEAVING RIGHT NOW GOOD BYE!"

#1a: and zig and zag and zig again  :ohmy:

Edited by MaD for BACON, 16 May 2017 - 03:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users