Map 23: Prokhorovka (Basic)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Dr Bodge #1 Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Dr Bodge’s Guide to Prokhorovka (Basic)

One of the best maps in the game. Okay, I will qualify this statement. If you like playing lights or mediums, which I do (and SPGs I suppose ;), this is one of the best maps in the game. This game is won or lost by controlling vision and this is done by pushing the front line away from your base, keeping your teams supporting tanks hidden, and towards the enemy base, allowing you to spot their support tanks and eliminate them. Obviously this might make the map frustrating for the supporting tanks who are effectively waiting for the game to be decided for them.

Good for: Lights, Mediums, SPGs, mobile Heavies particularly those with good turrets and view range.

Bad for: Slow tanks. Tanks with poor camo or poor view range. Base campers.

The Hill

The hill is sometimes a key battle ground and sometimes not, but you almost always get a tank or two from each team (Heavies and Mediums plus the odd scout) trying their luck here. Despite this both teams will spend the majority of their time cowering on their side of the ridgeline and the fighting here can be slow to resolve. Artillery may take an interest which makes it much faster or much slower depending on whether they get any hits or just encourage more defensive play. Go here is you want to avoid the other flank but don’t expect too much.

Central Ridge

This is the main event. The central ridge is the scene of a frantic game of nip and tuck, sneaking and peaking over the ridge trying to trap the opposition tanks or lure them into making a mistake. All of this takes place under the constant attention (and fire) of most of the enemy team. You must be acutely aware of lines of sight, the position of all enemy snipers and what artillery is up to. Put simply, if you are a mobile medium or light tank and you are somewhere else you are doing it wrong. Furthermore, if nobody else is prepared to scout the ridge, YOU must do it, whatever tank you are in.

West flank (and Railway Crossings)

If the ridge has enough scouts or you don’t have the mobility to work the centre then you will inevitably end up either on the hills in the West or perched on top of the rail tracks. Your job here is the provide fire support for the tanks working the ridge. Since this is a game dominated by scouts you should prioritise light tanks and mediums.  Both sides will occasionally attack along the West Flank but it rarely ends well.

Village

Not a good place to fight. You won’t last long unless you are in a top-tier heavy platoon in which case you could go somewhere else and win even more easily.

Camping

Good camping opportunities. Very long lines of sight and good forward positions for you scouts. The main problem with sniping here is that most of you targets in the early game will be fast moving and if you don’t hit enough shots you will soon be the hunted not the hunter. The safest camping spots are the furthest from the action (North/South East corners) but these are also the least relevant.

Edited by Dr Bodge, 23 April 2016 - 11:53 AM.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

cosmicray1 #2 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12287 battles
This the map where most often I get shot from an unseen Red. Lots of shrubbery with long lines of sight

KingDagfish #3 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14699 battles
  • [10RTR]

It's worth adding that a fast tank, with good camo and camo skills and workable view range, can dominate this map with vision if it can get to E1/F1 early and unopposed.

I win the vast majority of games in which the enemy team allows me to do this.

I've played over 10k battles, so I'm starting to understand the game...

DadD567 #4 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16575 battles
Could you update the map with some tents and campfire icons? Thanks

EamonnanChnoic #5 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

View PostAngryD567, on 20 February 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

Could you update the map with some tents and campfire icons? Thanks

:D

View PostKingDagfish, on 20 February 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

E1/F1

Shh... #illuminatilighttanksecrets

:trollface:

PS4 (current) Xbox (retired)

I love Light Tanks

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #6 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Major

• Players
  • 51346 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostKingDagfish, on 20 February 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

It's worth adding that a fast tank, with good camo and camo skills and workable view range, can dominate this map with vision if it can get to E1/F1 early and unopposed.

I "never" get there unspotted/unopposed, even in my most stealthy tanks/crews. I play the center ridge/bowl area most of the time. This is probably my most successful map because I've gotten very good at the center fighting/spotting. 

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

KingDagfish #7 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14699 battles
  • [10RTR]

View PostBULLPUPBAKERST1, on 20 February 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

I "never" get there unspotted/unopposed, even in my most stealthy tanks/crews. I play the center ridge/bowl area most of the time. This is probably my most successful map because I've gotten very good at the center fighting/spotting. 

Fair play to you - but it's definitely worth it if the enemy team allows you to pull it off successfully.

I've played over 10k battles, so I'm starting to understand the game...

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #8 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 51346 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostKingDagfish, on 20 February 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Fair play to you - but it's definitely worth it if the enemy team allows you to pull it off successfully.

I agree...just saying I can't seem to get lucky enough to make it. 

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

EamonnanChnoic #9 Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

View PostBULLPUPBAKERST1, on 20 February 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

I agree...just saying I can't seem to get lucky enough to make it. 

If you blast up there first in plain view it won't work so good.

A nifty strategy I use is to buzz the center to get spots and attract attention, and then sneaky slide to the location in question while keeping things lit.

Once you know who is looking it makes it easier to buzz up there.

...but yeah, just buzzing right up there ASAP without making sure the middle is busy makes it very dangerous.

PS4 (current) Xbox (retired)

I love Light Tanks

Reaper_-218- #10 Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:01 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25082 battles

When I see this map come as my net battle, I let out an audible GROAN! :(

Obviously my playing style isn't suited to this map.

Great info from Dr Bodge, that confirms what I thought goes on here, as well as a couple of pointers from some of the responders that I didn't know about.

R35T NO MORE #11 Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16093 battles
  • [BNKR-]

Good guide. One of my favourite maps, i'm always on the ridge or in the bowl regardless of what tank i'm in but like you say you have to be on the ball to pull it off. The part about being the scout no matter what tank you're in if no one else will do it is a very good point. My IS-2 has had a fair few games where i've had to do scouting runs. Oddly enough i always end up getting plenty of assists and damage even when bottom tier doing it, arty pending. 

If there's no arty then it's my favourite map overall. 

My WoT tank reviews

If you enjoy them please do share/sub. Thanks. 

Sly Indasky #12 Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 14462 battles
  • [D12UN]

As a fast LTs lover, anytime this map appears on screen, I just say 'YEEESSS!!!!'.

Nothing to add to Dr Bodge's perfectly relevant analysis.

Edited by Sly Indasky, 26 July 2017 - 02:48 PM.

Dr Bodge #13 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Thanks for the words of support.

Here is something to ponder, though. I must admit I love this map, but I do feel a pang of guilt about it. I love it because it is a map I can win. Not my team. Me. Okay, an exaggeration perhaps but I must have a 75% WR on this map even though I play solo. This is because if you understand the map, are competent at riding the fine line between spotting and dying AND have a mobile enough tank (I never play any other sort) then you can have a hugely disproportionate impact on the game.

The reason I feel guilty is that this means that anyone who doesn't fit these criteria is in for a depressing game. I feel that one of the serious weaknesses of this game (though largely unavoidable) is the specificity of maps and tanks. If the game were better balanced*, we would have more maps in which all tank classes could do well. This would reduce the number of 'wasted' games (where the map is virtually unplayable for your tank) for all types of players and significantly improve the overall player experience. 

We need less spotting maps and less corridor maps and replace them with maps that give options to all classes. It is a nice idea, but one i suspect is un- achievable. Think about it. Can you think of a single map in the game that is truly classless? The problem, I fear, lies deep within the DNA of the game. The combination of design decisions that have been made prevent any map from meeting this criterion. When I have a free weekend perhaps I will put together a video to explain my thoughts on this issue.

* When I talk about game balance I am not interested in the childish quibbling about whether individual Tier X TDs should be removed. I am talking only about the way the game is constructed and how this is the root cause of many of the problems we see (like balance in Tier X TDs for example)

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

FinlandRed #14 Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21738 battles

You're right about this map being a struggle in a large slow tank. A Hundo is a great defensive tank for a city map but suffers badly out in the fields of Prok.

That said, if the stars align games like this are possible (Yes there was red arty in play). Note the patrol duty badge.

El Materdor43 #15 Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33410 battles
  • [HACKS]

It is my favorite map. Regardless of tank, I'm in working the middle.  I will move nonstop while working the middle, particularly if Arty is in the game. I enjoy this map immensely. 

Ironically enough, I rarely get hit by Arty on this map, despite the fact it is wide open

Zulu Calm #16 Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19654 battles
  • [BNKR]

The ridge line and bowl is also the most fun to play. As you say the map is best with more mobile tanks such as Lights and Mediums. I've often wondered whether one side is more favourable than the other ie North or South spawn and wondered what others thought.

Sig image created by the remarkably talented xRoni7x

I'm also a subscriber to another great WOT forum The Bunker http://thebunker.freeforums.net/

and a proud member of The Bunker clan (BNKR)

killer etzi0 #17 Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58896 battles
  • [47R]
I've had some huge spotting damage games on this map...... in my T29 that is. :trollface:

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

VoltaicGrunt #18 Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26330 battles

View PostBULLPUPBAKERST1, on 20 February 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

From Either Spawn.

First run is straight down the road, full speed, along the line of bushes on the more central side of the road. Your escape route is always inwards and under the ridge.

You're intent is not to reach E1/F1, This run is to DENY the bush to enemy. If you get in fine, but expect to bail short of the bowl.

Time enemy lights as they dash along the ridge. Once they pass the 4 line you can get in by hugging the border, but only if the bowl is clear.

If there's multiple enemy lights and one is un-spotted, and you're always detected on your run in to E1/F1, it means there's someone in there. Pull back and blindfire the  bushes. That always works. If you have a pet clicker and there is ever an un-spotted light on Prok, you should train it to blindfire that bush also.

The E1/F1 bush is relevant and powerful right up to the mad dash for damage, so if you have to try a few times, it is sometimes still worth it if there's lots of food left camping the 1 line.

That's how I get in.

RU 251 NEEDS MORE BULLETS

giaka #19 Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44095 battles
  • [WTAF]

View PostKingDagfish, on 20 February 2017 - 07:16 AM, said:

I used to do that a lot but after an update 6 or so months ago its almost as if they removed some of the bushes up there. I almost always get spotting now.

If there are no arty on this map I will take my big fat heavy right to the middle. LOL I have sat in E/F3 area win my MAUS and made 3000+ assist spotting reds.

Edited by giaka, 26 July 2017 - 08:15 PM.

WG Balance 101, If a tank has a high survival rate, nerf its gun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users