Map 27: Siegfried Line (Basic)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Dr Bodge #1 Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Dr Bodge’s Guide to Siegfried Line (Basic)

Siegfried line looks fairly symmetric but there are quite distinct differences between the two sides on a local level. The built up areas provide cover for heavier tanks to go head-to-head, but there are sufficient open adjacent areas to allow medium tanks and TDs to swing the balance.

Good for: Heavy tanks, particularly side-scrapers and those suited to close range frontal combat. Good also for brawling mediums.

Bad for: Life can be difficult if you have neither armour, camo or mobility.

West Town

Much of the key fighting takes place in the town. The narrow streets create a tense stand-off where ‘proper’ heavy tanks thrive. Other classes can get engaged but need to be very aware of the location of enemy forces as it is very easy to find oneself overextended.

East Town

This is an urban area but with much less hard cover. It is dangerous to push through here as there are usually TDs sitting in cover well behind the front line. Success here can lead to effective flanking but don’t push here too early.

The Field

This isn’t as important as some people think. It is dangerous to push here, as it only takes one or two tanks to pin down the whole flank. If you go here with your Heavy tank or TD you will probably spend most of your game hiding behind a pill-box watching the game unfold elsewhere. Leave this area to experienced and knowledgeable players in Light and Medium tanks who know how to exploit it safely*.

Camping

The prospects for snipers are mixed. They can sometimes rack up a fair amount of damage in the field or after the front line falls but it is hard for them to make much of an impact on the outcome of the game, since this is usually determined in the Town.

* edited in response to comment by TangoLit.

Edited by Dr Bodge, 03 May 2016 - 08:02 AM.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

TangoLit #2 Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29342 battles
  • [BANE]

This is a great review of Siegfried Line.  I would personally amend that the field is an outstanding place for knowledgeable light and medium drivers... not just some as you're recommending Dr Bodge.  (please consider this an "agree to disagree" type of comment as I think your input regarding the field is certainly valid for many players... especially new players).  Once a player has proper crews and equipment on their mediums and lights (full camo and full spotting set up with Optics), the field can play a very important part in the game's contest (though I do think the South has the advantage in the field).  As always, timing and map control are important so seizing early control is key to success here.  To be clear, I do not mean the idiotic light tanks that seem to inevitably YOLO the field... that's just a waste of your light tank.

For anyone reading that's looking to learn, I would add one more thing about this field push.  The goal is not to take the field and then sit there.  That's useless, though it seems like a common outcome for less experienced players.  The goal is to quickly push all the way around to the other side and fully flank the town.  Dr Bodge is very correct that the game's outcome is determined there.

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

Dr Bodge #3 Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Dear Tango,

Thanks for you comments. I am (was) hoping these guides might stimulate some intelligent discussion so your contribution is most welcome. I have edited the guide slightly in line with your comments.

The guide is meant to be fairly basic and I will be adding a more in-depth appraisal of the importance of the key areas in my intermediate guide. I am assuming therefore that players reading this will not have the required knowledge to exploit certain (high risk) parts of the map effectively. For instance I feel that sometimes a careful reading of the team compositions and a good understanding of your own tanks strengths (and weaknesses) is necessary before attempting certain tactics. A concerted field push on SL is probably one of them.

My appraisal of the importance of key areas of maps is based partly on judgement but also relies heavily on my experience of avoidable losses. In other words by studying those games we could have won, but didn't, we can diagnose the most common tactical mistakes. On Siegfried Line the most common loss can be attributed to being overrun in the town. This is catastrophic failure is almost always fatal. I can scarcely remember seeing a team holding the field successfully fight back under these circumstances. It is for this reason I believe the Town more important but, as you say, the point of a Field push is to outflank the enemy rather than to hold the flank. So to gauge the effectiveness of this strategy (when implemented by the average Green team) I frequently see a small Green force trapped in the field being executed one by one at the end of the game. In comparison I see relatively few cases where the game is lost by being flanked, especially when playing in the South (as you suggest). I would argue, from memory, that this ratio of over/under-committing to the Field is something like 10/1 (and at least 5/1). This suggests very strongly that, in general, the Green team commits far too many tanks to the Field.

Edited by Dr Bodge, 03 May 2016 - 08:25 AM.

TangoLit #4 Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29342 battles
  • [BANE]

View PostDr Bodge, on 03 May 2016 - 12:25 AM, said:

I can't think of a time that I have not had at least some appreciation for your thoughts on just about every subject here in tanks.  Thanks again for yet another mindful response.

Git gud here:  bit.ly/tankguide (I should read this).  On Track list.

8000 is better than 11090 - shaunw2010

DStegCat #5 Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25012 battles
  • [BACON]
The Brawl in town is key with the winner generally having better numbers and/or better focused fire.  One bounced shot may  be the difference.

nam et ipsa scientia potestas est (for knowledge is itself power)  Francis Bacon - 1597

More Bacon

Dr Bodge #6 Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

View PostDStegCat, on 19 May 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

The Brawl in town is key with the winner generally having better numbers and/or better focused fire.  One bounced shot may  be the difference.

Yes, I agree. My basic guide is more of a 'where do people go' whereas the 'where should people go' will be covered in the intermediate guide (when I get as far as S in my list).

Edited by Dr Bodge, 19 May 2016 - 03:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users