Type 61 Equipment

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Not that proud #1 Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17494 battles

A friend suggested setting it up with vertical stabilizers, rammer, and vents. This maximizes DPM and gunhandling. If you have BIA, Situational Awareness, and Recon, you wind up with a view range of 438 m, which is just shy of the cap at 445 m. But you also get a reload of 8.25 seconds on 390 alpha and 258 mm of pen. 

So, what's wrong with that? Is it really necessary to do the standard of rammer, vert stabs, and optics?

LOSTVENGENCE96 #2 Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23961 battles
You don't need to maximize DPM, you'll never get the full DPM in it anyways.

Equipment should be

Optics, vents, and vert stabs.

Not that proud #3 Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17494 battles

View PostLOSTVENGENCE96, on 05 May 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

You don't need to maximize DPM, you'll never get the full DPM in it anyways.

Equipment should be

Optics, vents, and vert stabs.

I take that point, because I run that equipment on some other tanks, like the M46. I think what I like about maximizing the DPM is it gets close to the T-54's DPM. I was thinking I could play it in medium ranges and brawl with it if necessary. 

LOSTVENGENCE96 #4 Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23961 battles

View PostNot that proud, on 05 May 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

I take that point, because I run that equipment on some other tanks, like the M46. I think what I like about maximizing the DPM is it gets close to the T-54's DPM. I was thinking I could play it in medium ranges and brawl with it if necessary. 

Lol, no. If your brawl with the Japanese tanks minisaybe the stb-1 you're going to have a bad time. 

Need to optimize view range and camo, like all other high tier mediums.

Besides, 10% off reloaded time isn't that noticeable. It's almost useless compared to other choices that are much better.

Not that proud #5 Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17494 battles

View PostLOSTVENGENCE96, on 05 May 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Lol, no. If your brawl with the Japanese tanks minisaybe the stb-1 you're going to have a bad time. 

Need to optimize view range and camo, like all other high tier mediums.

Besides, 10% off reloaded time isn't that noticeable. It's almost useless compared to other choices that are much better.

Assuming BIA, rammer+vents gives a reload of 8.25 seconds. Vents alone, it's 9.17. So, nearly a full second longer. 

LOSTVENGENCE96 #6 Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23961 battles

View PostNot that proud, on 05 May 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

Assuming BIA, rammer+vents gives a reload of 8.25 seconds. Vents alone, it's 9.17. So, nearly a full second longer. 

That 1 second won't make or brake a game 99/100 times. If it does, chances are you shouldn't have been there in the first place. 

The type 61 needs to abuse ridge lines and crests. Maximizing peek a boo and spotting mechanics.

Not that proud #7 Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17494 battles
Yeah, but I can do that in other tanks like the Centurion and the M46, and they're maybe better at it given their base view range is better and neither one has a big hatch.

ironak #8 Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12024 battles
  • [IX]
I went for Rammer, Vertical Stabilizer and optics I also used food, I found it to be great setup as I got a lot of spotted assisted damage 

Edited by ironak, 05 May 2016 - 07:49 PM.

Fear The R2D2! 

ll SkagPipe ll #9 Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15612 battles
  • [BNKR]
I'm still on the STA-1 but almost to second MOE. I actually run binos (and rammer and stabs). I can get helluva ton of spotted damage and sniping damage myself with binos.  My theory is I dont go off by myself so I can rely on others optics when on the move.  Camping bush or rock for a minute or two early lets my teammates get into position so I can see where to go to back them up...or it lets them lamb baste reds if the binos are working.

Not that proud #10 Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17494 battles

View Postll SkagPipe ll, on 06 May 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

I'm still on the STA-1 but almost to second MOE. I actually run binos (and rammer and stabs). I can get helluva ton of spotted damage and sniping damage myself with binos. My theory is I dont go off by myself so I can rely on others optics when on the move. Camping bush or rock for a minute or two early lets my teammates get into position so I can see where to go to back them up...or it lets them lamb baste reds if the binos are working.

Camo rating on the STA is much higher than the Type 61 as it's a much smaller tank. 

Orbtastic1 #11 Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 42194 battles
  • [UK]

I always go optics/rammer/vert stab on mediums.

There's an argument for rammer/vert stab/vents for brawling but as others have said, this is not a brawler by any stretch...

You could also do the vert stab/vents/optics for a more aggressive spotter/flanker but I'd say option one is the most balanced and one more suited to longer range engagements.

I have seen videos of this with the mid package i.e. the 90mm with the rammer/vents/food/BiA that gives it insane DPM but you need to work it a little differently and play far more aggressively.

VGC MadMacx #12 Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16927 battles

I run standard Medium Kit - Vert, Rammer, and Optics.

I think we are trying to put lipstick on a pig.  No matter how good we apply the make up it is still a pig.

I just had a Tier 10 game where my team won easily.  I played peek a boom for a bit but repositioned because I was getting in the way of more effective heavies.  I ran into a RU 251. It is not like I was looking for him but it is not like I could avoid him either since he can out spot me, out run me, out manuver me, and as I quickly learned out shoot me too.

So a Tier 8 Light tank, true an excellent light tank, completely owns a Tier 9 Medium.  It cannot perform any real traditional medium roll of hunting lights and flanking.

Too big, too slow, horrible accuracy when moving, and never forget the huge R2D2 weak spot at the top of your turrent.  You may not see the enemy but they see you.

So in case you feel I am not on topic, I read this tread and agree a lot with what is said.  Contrary to conventional wisdom the Type 61 may perform better without a Gun Rammer that is Industry Standard on every other tank in the game.  Vents might just help.

The reason I think it will work is that the Type 61 sucks so bad at every single roll in the entire game except hiding and sniping that there is no point in even trying to use it in any other way.  Max out everything you can do to keep this tank from being seen and shooting once in a while.  Because if you are detected it is unlikely you will survive and if you do manage to survive it is unlikely you are in any position to help your team.

I am not in a habit of selling tier 9 tanks.  But every time I play this tank I think about selling it.  Even if I have a good game where I get to snipe a lot when the game comes down to the end and I have to move in order to exploit a successful attack or shore up a weakening defines, I am always disappointed with this tanks performance.  If you are going to play a tank that can only hide and shoot then there are much better Tank Destroyers at tier 9 that do the same thing much better.

So my recommendation is to use whatever equipment you want on this pig because no matter how good you think you made her look she is still a pig.

Edited by VGC MadMacx, 07 August 2016 - 08:17 AM.

XGR369er #13 Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40072 battles

View PostVGC MadMacx, on 07 August 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

I run standard Medium Kit - Vert, Rammer, and Optics.

I think we are trying to put lipstick on a pig.  No matter how good we apply the make up it is still a pig.

I just had a Tier 10 game where my team won easily.  I played peek a boom for a bit but repositioned because I was getting in the way of more effective heavies.  I ran into a RU 251. It is not like I was looking for him but it is not like I could avoid him either since he can out spot me, out run me, out manuver me, and as I quickly learned out shoot me too.

So a Tier 8 Light tank, true an excellent light tank, completely owns a Tier 9 Medium.  It cannot perform any real traditional medium roll of hunting lights and flanking.

Too big, too slow, horrible accuracy when moving, and never forget the huge R2D2 weak spot at the top of your turrent.  You may not see the enemy but they see you.

So in case you feel I am not on topic, I read this tread and agree a lot with what is said.  Contrary to conventional wisdom the Type 61 may perform better without a Gun Rammer that is Industry Standard on every other tank in the game.  Vents might just help.

The reason I think it will work is that the Type 61 sucks so bad at every single roll in the entire game except hiding and sniping that there is no point in even trying to use it in any other way.  Max out everything you can do to keep this tank from being seen and shooting once in a while.  Because if you are detected it is unlikely you will survive and if you do manage to survive it is unlikely you are in any position to help your team.

I am not in a habit of selling tier 9 tanks.  But every time I play this tank I think about selling it.  Even if I have a good game where I get to snipe a lot when the game comes down to the end and I have to move in order to exploit a successful attack or shore up a weakening defines, I am always disappointed with this tanks performance.  If you are going to play a tank that can only hide and shoot then there are much better Tank Destroyers at tier 9 that do the same thing much better.

So my recommendation is to use whatever equipment you want on this pig because no matter how good you think you made her look she is still a pig.

I haven't seen any other posts on this tank and I have to agree with this.  I had been avoiding this tank for a year or two.  I was pretty sure after looking at the stats that it would be a massive pain of a tank to play.  this turned out to be true.  I have found this thing to be a pain in most battles.  I read and looked at the people that have done good in it and my guess is they are running it a lot of good platoons.  Everyone else like me that is just running in the general pop it just sucks.  I tried running it as a dpm machine and I only get really a few good games like this.  So I reverted back to basically being a TDish tank.  As said above it is soso in this job but I feel it works best with the teams I have been getting on.  Still find it awful to run and can't wait for it to be gone.  I just wish there was some key on this tank that I am missing but I don't think so.  It is just way too painful to play with that crappy camo value.  That is what I find really kills it and makes it so useless to me.  I have to say this has probably been the most painful grind for me since the original m3 lee, and original pz 3/4.  This takes the cake on terrible though.

Al Bundy8971 #14 Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29067 battles
  • [-L7-]
Optics, vstab, rammer should be your first choice on most tanks. If you are running a tank with 3.4 sec aim time and .4+ accuracy, sub optics for gun laying drive. 

Unkempt #15 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18970 battles
  • [SRT]
I went optics because its concealment value is pure trash. 

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

XGR369er #16 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40072 battles

View PostTheDahliaRitual, on 27 March 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

Optics, vstab, rammer should be your first choice on most tanks. If you are running a tank with 3.4 sec aim time and .4+ accuracy, sub optics for gun laying drive.

tried all this and it just didn't work for crap when I wasn't in a platoon like I said and tried to do dpm with vents, vs and rammer but it just didn't work well at all for me with all the problems I have with the game it just works better as a td for the time being for me.

update.  it did work ok to get threw the rest of the grind and I got to around 15k left and just free exped after my 50% win rate and one mark.  I have never been so happy to get rid of a tank since the Jagdpanther 2.  got I hope I don't have to do anything like this again.

player524 #17 Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:54 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 37412 battles
  • [TVTC]
I'm not sure what everyone's problem is with the 61.
It's one of my favorites. With the 105 it can pen just about everything out there. It's defiantly no brawler. But as a follow up tank it's a beast. Play it like a British medium. Long-distance shots and a secondary line clean up. Get with some heavies or a group of mediums and follow their lead. Run in for a quick kill and then get.
I run GDL, rammer, and optics.
Perks are everything I can get to aid camo. Also since for me it's a keeper. Have camo on it. Which I do for all my keepers.
Ridgelines are your friend with this tank.
Just remember.. No brawler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users