Guide to the LTTB by Turkey (Now with Better Quality Videos)

LTTB

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

The Turkey Tank #1 Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]

Turkey’s Guide to the LTTB

Alright, so this is my first attempt at something like this so bear with me on this and feel free to comment on anything I should add or even exclude. This is a look at not only my favorite tier 7 light tank, but quite possibly my favorite tank in the game period. The following is what works best for me in random battles.  

Real World Development: Development of the light tank project was started in early 1944 at Factory No. 174. The project was canceled during the design phase and the phase of setting tactical and technical requirements.

In-Game Statistics

Tier: 7 (matched up as tier 8 medium)

Cost

950 HP (Hit Points)

22/22.5 tons (Weight Limit)

Crew

1. Commander
  2. Gunner
  3. Driver
  4. Loader (Radio Operator)

Mobility

700 hp (Engine Power)

68/20 km/h (Speed Limit)

48 deg/s (Traverse)

30.86 hp/t (Power/Wt Ratio)

No (Pivot)

Armor

90 frontal/45 side/40 rear mm (Hull Armor)

90 fronatl/75 side/52 rear mm (Turret Armor)

Shell Types

AP/APCR/HE

Shell Prices

220/3200/145

Alpha Damage and Penetration

180/180/300 HP (Damage)

170/216/44 mm (Penetration)

Rate of Fire: 11.76 r/m 

Damage Per Minute

2206.8 dpm (no equipment and 100% crew) 

2673 dpm (vents, rammer, BIA, and 100% crew)

Accuracy

0.36 m 

Aim Time

2.1 seconds 

General Information

48 deg/s (Turret Traverse)

360° (Gun Arc)

-3° depression/+15° elevation (Elevation Arc)

42 rounds (Ammo Capacity)

15 % (Chance of Fire)

390m (View Range)                             

Pros

Very well armored for a light tank with the ability to consistently bounce low caliber guns.

Highest number of hit points for any tier 7 light tank.

Simply amazing power to weight ratio that allows this tank to accelerate at lightening speeds.

The high top speed will allow you to reach speeds of between 70-75 km/h quite regularly.

Great mobility to go along with the high top speed and can change direction in a flash.

Very good penetration and alpha on the top gun allow it to deal with most high tier tanks.

Cons

The frustrating gun depression of only 3 degrees.

Less than stellar on the move accuracy partially due to the limiting gun depression.

Can burn though ammo quite quickly with the RoF it has combined with only 42 shells.

Equipment and Consumable Load out:

Alright, for equipment on my LTTB I prefer to run optics, gun rammer, and improved ventilation as it suits the tank’s role as an active scout incredibly well as it maximizes the gun’s potential and provides that extra view range while you’re zipping about the battlefield. I’d personally avoid the binoculars and camo net setup due to the tank really coming into its own when used as an active scout as well as damage dealer. The consumables I run are a large repair kit, automatic fire extinguisher, and rations, however you can switch out the fire extinguisher for a first aid kit if you are more comfortable with that. Finally, the ammo load out I run in random battles usually looks like 24 AP rounds and 18 APCR rounds with no HE rounds as they just aren’t effective enough to bother carrying in my opinion along with the fact that you’ll chew through ammo in this light tank.  

The Armor:

The relatively thick armor of the LTTB allows you to do things that most light tanks would avoid at all costs. The front plate is 90mm of armor, however it is heavily sloped which makes it effective armor more in the range of 150mm while facing straight towards your opponent which can be angled to create armor that is almost 180-190mm of effect protection. What this means is that you can bully some lower tier or equal tier tanks that don’t have more than 150mm of pen with the standard rounds such as the French light tanks like the AMX 12t and AMX 13 75. Now I’m not saying you should just angle and sit in front of them as it is still possible for them to pen you, but you should combine that knowledge with the tanks mobility in order to ricochet their shots. The way you do this is by constantly juking back and forth while driving, so you are never moving in a straight line but rather a zig zag motion. This is a good skill to practice anytime you are driving in the LTTB when there are enemies are around as it maximizes your chance to either bounce their shot or make them miss completely. This technique even allowed me to bounce a shot from the 155mm gun of the T30 once, however against these types of high tier enemies its more luck of the draw as most enemy shots that hit you will pen, but on occasion this juking technique produces troll bounces against high tier guns.

How I play the LTTB:

Depending on the map, my first job is to find where the enemy is going which usually means active scouting on maps like Malinovka or Prok in the LTTB, however there are a few maps such as Lakeville where I will passive scout at the beginning of the match. From here I will try to keep the reds lit up for my teammates as well as taking shots of opportunity as long as I don’t take damage for taking that shot as trading shots in the LTTB is not usually a good idea. On maps such as Mines or Abbey where there is a contested central spotting location, I’ll usually go there if there are only equal or lower tier light tanks as I can usually bully them using my gun to bounce some of their shots while I unload 180 damage into them every couple of seconds. The real key to succeeding in the LTTB is knowing when to be aggressive and utilizing that amazing mobility to get the flanks of your enemies. I try to look for either weak enemies to pick off, vehicles that are all alone and that I can easily flank and kill such as slow Tds or Heavies on open maps, and I also look for gaps in the enemy lines to exploit through and cause havoc in their base, however this last one is tricky and I usually only do this while playing in platoons. The tank’s mobility is amazing and as such any time you have the opportunity to death circle an opponent you should although make sure it is something that can’t get its gun around to kill you. In summary the LTTB can fulfil many roles whether it’s the anti-scout, active scout, or damage dealer it can do them all well and effectively.  

Quick Tips:

If you need to get a better angle to shoot down on somebody, then an easy way to do this in certain areas is to prop your tank up a slope thus using the hill as a wedge of sorts.

Also, avoid firing on the move at long range targets as the combination of poor on the move accuracy combined with the bad gun elevation could result in numerous shots being sent sky high. So, try to either get in close or take longer range shots while stationary.

Another trick of the trade is your ability to ram certain lower tier light tanks such as the Chaffee, Leopard, and AMX 12t since the LTTB weighs more than them, has a great top speed, and has much better armor than these vehicles.  However, keep this to a minimum as in the process of ramming you will most likely detrack yourself and make yourself a sitting duck for the enemy’s big guns.

Also, when death circling opponents try to stay a good distance away from that enemy as the tall profile and lack of gun depression on the lttb means it can be difficult to penetrate shots from close range on heavily armored vehicles like an IS-3.

Crew Skills:

I’ll have to apologize in advance here as I’m terrible with remembering the crew skills. So, besides the obvious of training sixth sense, BIA, and repairs, there is the need to train your crew with all the camo perks other than silent driving as light tanks already get the same camo values on the move as they do while motionless. Once all the camo skills have been trained, it’s probably in your best interests to train the LTTB crew with all the skills that increase both mobility and spotting ability. Finally, if you choose to not run a fire extinguisher, then I’d highly recommend training the firefighting crew skill.  

Conclusion

I hope some of this helps and if there is anything you’d like to ask me or tell me to add then feel free to. At some point I’d like to add some gameplay of one my better LTTB games, but that will have to wait for now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Edited by The Turkey Tank, 01 October 2016 - 02:46 PM.

WN8:3900   Twitch   My Youtube  LTTB Guide  Ru 251 Guide Batchat 25t.

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy General Scout Tips & Tricks

Paddy mcstats #2 Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 30480 battles
  • [CRPT]
Great guide mate, pretty much spot on imo. So right about the zig zagging, I bounced several shots from is3's, in the last wct, off my rear armour!!! That sloping though.

theflash52 #3 Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26004 battles
  • [-UNL-]

What is this words, why you make me read, where is the video.

Follow the lemming, farm the potato.

The Turkey Tank #4 Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostF1nny2, on 05 May 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

Great guide mate, pretty much spot on imo. So right about the zig zagging, I bounced several shots from is3's, in the last wct, off my rear armour!!! That sloping though.

Thanks and yeah the armor is just ridiculously troll, the T30 shot that bounced actually made me jump.:teethhappy: 

The Turkey Tank #5 Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View Posttheflash52, on 05 May 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

What is this words, why you make me read, where is the video.

So, the best T32 player in the world can't read gotcha.

theflash52 #6 Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26004 battles
  • [-UNL-]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 05 May 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

So, the best T32 player in the world can't read gotcha.

No book learning can teach proper hull down tactics yo.

Follow the lemming, farm the potato.

The Turkey Tank #7 Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View Posttheflash52, on 05 May 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

No book learning can teach proper hull down tactics yo.

sure

The Turkey Tank #8 Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]
If anybody wants to see some gameplay of it, I'll be streaming quite shortly and the link is in my signature although I will warn you that I can't read chat as both my computer and phone are broken at the moment so.

CoastTrash44 #9 Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 12118 battles
  • [RAMMR]

LTTB is currently one of, if not the favorite tanks i've got right now. Other than the snappy acceleration, the biggest selling point to me is that it has just enough armor to bounce some shots. Not so much that it WILL bounce shots, but that it has a CHANCE of doing so.

Also, lots of fun ramming folks at full speed. :)

WarOnTour #10 Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:19 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 52035 battles
Great guide and game play explanation, nice one and +1.

The Turkey Tank #11 Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:08 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostWarOnTour, on 05 May 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

Great guide and game play explanation, nice one and +1.

Thanks

SonataArctiica #12 Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3035 battles
  • [CLX]
Very nice guide, too bad I don't have it yet. It's one of my "wish list" tanks lol

Joco3000, on 26 April 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

Have you tried sobbing uncontrollably?
I've found that that helps great in many situations.

my only claim to any fame is a Steel Wall medal in a Pz. II

DEPLOYING DUMPS #13 Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 53397 battles
IMO situational awareness before repair on lights because you really shouldn't get tracked in the first place.

mise2412a #14 Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25265 battles
Good guide. Loved the tank but stupidly sold it when going for the T-54lwt. Think I'm going to put in a ticket and get it back.

"Open sea and city lights
Busy streets and dizzy heights"

The Turkey Tank #15 Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]
Update: added some gameplay footage of a decent result I had yesterday. Had some better games, but they occurred off camera, however I'll try to see if I can recover them somehow. Not any commentary or anything just wanted show my play-style with it.

KhoiKhoi #16 Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13770 battles

Great guide! It is very similar to how I play it aswell, but I sould probably be a bit more daring when dealing with other lights. The LTTB does have some armor after all :) 

Like already mentioned, I would also get sit.awareness before repairs, but other than that I agree with you on everything! :)

+1

3 MOE: M41 Walker Bulldog, JPanther II, T29

2 MOE: T34, Mutant, Panther 88, AMX Chaffee, LTTB, E75

The Turkey Tank #17 Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostKhoiKhoi, on 06 May 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Great guide! It is very similar to how I play it aswell, but I sould probably be a bit more daring when dealing with other lights. The LTTB does have some armor after all :) 

Like already mentioned, I would also get sit.awareness before repairs, but other than that I agree with you on everything! :)

+1

Yeah the whole perk selection is just what happened to suit me plus I think the crew I now have in it now was for another tank originally, but the preference of skills is up to you more.

The Turkey Tank #18 Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]
Second Video added showcases both the gameplay of an active scout and that of a passive role turned aggressive.(Apologies again as my fiddling with the video has cut the music out half way through the video)   Caution: Avoid going full yolo mode like I did in the active scouting portion of the video.:teethhappy:

The Turkey Tank #19 Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Major

• 29519 battles
  • [IMTLS]
How would I get this moved to the Soviet vehicle section of the forum?

HeroForADay #20 Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12462 battles

People underestimate the armor on this thing. In the past few days I have bounced an E100 AP round, a Waffle e100 round, an object 261 AP round (yes seriously) and a Jageroo AP round. Most of these have been off of the turret at funny angles. Even got some hate mail because I'm "hacking". 

#ConsoleTax

Why do the Defender and Patriot have higher costs on Console than they do PC?

Well, that is simple. The answer is because World of Tanks PC is a different game than World of Tanks Console. And their tanks are not always the same as our tanks even though they might look the same, the stats are sometimes different, the costs are sometimes different. So… uh.. You can’t ever, for anything whether it’s… uh… the maps, the gameplay, the costs of the tank, the look of the tank, the stats of the tank, anything like that. You can never compare the two. The only thing that they really have in common is that they are both made by Wargaming, they both have the name World of Tanks, and they both have tanks in them. So that’s uh… the reason.

Also tagged with LTTB

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users