• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Aschenblume #1 Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25286 battles
  • [DP]

Aschen's Guide to the STB-1

Hey it's that Conqueror lover again. Yes it's your favorite tanker. Today we will look at the Japanese tier ten medium the STB-1 "The Samurai Spirit"

Development:

Fun fact the STB-1 isn't actually called the STB-1. It's known as the Type-74 (STB-1 was the prototype). The Type 74 (74式戦車 nana-yon-shiki-sensha?) is a main battle tank (MBT) of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF). It was built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries as a replacement for the earlier Type 61. It was based on the best features of a number of contemporary designs, placing it in the same class as the US M60 or German Leopard 1. Like these designs, it mounts the Royal Ordinance L7 105 mm gun. The design did not enter widespread use until 1980, by which point other Western forces had introduced more capable designs.

Source: Wikipedia

The STB-1 as described above is comprised of different tank designs during the era. Built with a strong turret of an M60 along with the speed and maneuverability of a Leopard 1. All while boasting the superior fire power of the Royal Ordinance L7 105mm. But wait Asche. The in game tank doesn't list this cannon, why is that? Well for balance ofcourse. Bouncy turret, speed, and a great gun? It would be overpowered by then. So yeah the tank isn't perfect it's not supposed to be for balance reasons. The main issue is with the 105mm Rifled Gun, a proposal by Japan to not have to import Royal Ordinance weaponry, but was ditched in the early stages of development. 

The 105mm Rifled Gun

Great gun while still being a pain in the @ss. Great rate of fire with good 105mm alpha damage and good penetration. The problem is aiming the damn thing. 2.3(s) aim time and .36 accuracy. Not great at snap shotting and aiming for that matter. You will find you are missing more shots than hitting, that is if you dont know what you are doing. Take your time to aim the shots carefully. But realistically you wont need the accuracy anyways because you're a medium. Medium dont care. Mediums bad@ss. 

Spoiler

Ahem. Anyways, the STB-1 more often than not should not be in the back of the map but rather harassing the enemy heavies and TD's. Taking shots while they arent looking and perma-tracking big dumb heavy tanks is positions where they are effectively useless. Thats the most fun. 

Be aware of your surroundings

There is a mini map use it. When the battle gets to rough fall back before it's too late. The STB-1 is fast enough to do that.

Getting hull down

Feel free to do it every now and again but dont rely on it like an IS7. Turret armor is great against lower tier, lower pen guns. But not big high pen shells. Pop up, fire, back off, dont press your luck.

Perks. 

Aside from the essentials: six sense, BiA, repairs, etc. etc. It is a smart move to invest a lot of crew XP into the camo perks. The tank is very low to the ground and can turn into a ninja with these camo perks.

Equipment: Rammer, Vents, Optics (For the MoE hunter, dont worry I will get into this)

Or alternatively: Rammer, Vert stabs, vents/optics/GLD (take your pick)

Consumables: (for the MoE hunter) Onigiri with the good stuff i.e. Large repair kits and medi kits.

MoEs: This is probably the hardest thing I have ever done on this game. It took 900+ games, 4 rage quits, and 2 rage inducing comas. But it is achievable once figured out. What you need to do is load the specifications listed above and run solo or with another player complimentary to your tank. Optics in this tank will be your best friend. And always be sure to go for the cog wheel to rack up the tracked assistance damage. The number you want to strive for is high but easy once you get the hang of it.

Atleast 4.8k total; any less and you wont find yourself making gainz. A great number to go for is 4k damage dealt, with 3k assisted. 

Well I think thats it. If you have any questions feel free to ask and this will be going onto my signature and profile page for reference.

Good luck!

Aschenblume

In-Game Statistics:

Characteristics

ARMAMENT - 105mm Rifled gunARMAMENTs

390 / 390 / 480 HPDAMAGE
7.50 rounds/minRATE OF FIRE
2,925 (HP/min)DAMAGE PER MINUTE
258 / 330 / 53 mmARMOR PENETRATION
0.36 mDISPERSION AT 100 M
2.30 sAIMING TIME
50 pcsAMMO CAPACITY

MOBILITY - Engine - Mitsubishi 10zf21wt - Suspension - STB-1

MOBILITY

37.40 / 40 tWEIGHT/LOAD LIMIT
750 hpENGINE POWER
20.05 hp/tSPECIFIC POWER
53 km/hTOP SPEED
52 deg/sTRAVERSE SPEED
42 deg/sTURRET TRAVERSE SPEED

ARMORARMOR

1,950 HPHIT POINTS
110 / 35 / 25 mmHULL ARMOR
132 / 132 / 37 mmTURRET ARMOR

RECON - Radio - Type 67RECON

410 mVIEW RANGE
750 mSIGNAL RANGE

SouSource: World of Tanks - Tankopedia

-Dreadnought-

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy

Super-Unicum - WN8 - 3200 -- Check out my tank guides for the: ConquerorLeopard 1STB-1Chieftain,

TigerCenturion Mk. 7/1Jagdtiger, and T26E4 Super Pershing

AfterTimeAdrift #2 Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10335 battles
  • [D7CAV]
Arigato Senpai Aschenblume! this will help greatly when i've got the thing. P.S, how did you find the STA-1, i just got it today.

100% genuine Scotsman

Struggling to keep a full Garage since 2013.

Aschenblume #3 Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25286 battles
  • [DP]
STA-1

-Dreadnought-

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy

Super-Unicum - WN8 - 3200 -- Check out my tank guides for the: ConquerorLeopard 1STB-1Chieftain,

TigerCenturion Mk. 7/1Jagdtiger, and T26E4 Super Pershing

animatethant #4 Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:55 AM

Major

• Players
  • 73061 battles
One bad game and i've dropped big time. Too many good players playing this tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users