Map 16: Malinovka (Intermediate)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Dr Bodge #1 Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Dr Bodge’s Guide to Malinovka (Intermediate)

Map Overview

This was the map that started me thinking about map control and the idea of optimal strategies. After extensive experimentation I had to conclude that the consensus (that controlling the hill was crucial) was broadly correct. And yet the hill itself appears to provide so little immediate benefit. Even with binoculars you can’t even spot into the enemy bases, let alone as far as the other flanks. Sniping opportunities are often limited and pushing off the hill against anything other than token resistance can prove very costly. I came to the conclusion that the real value of the Hill was that it overlooks the Ridgeline that runs along the edge of the lake which, if securely held, absolutely dominates the entire map.

The Ridgeline

The Ridgeline that runs along the lake through the centre of the map has long been recognised as offering powerful spotting positions. These positions offer by far the most leverage a single tank can achieve on this map, in terms of influencing the result of the game. However, they are extremely exposed to tanks above them on the Hill. There is a synergistic relationship between the two areas. While control of the Hill is crucial to controlling the Ridgeline, forces on the Ridgeline can actively interfere in the fight for the Hill and, given it's importance to them, should actively try to do so.

Once you cannot be spotted or sniped from the Hill you are free to extend view range far across the Field and deep into the enemy Base. Once you achieve this your team can simply sit back and snipe, safe in the knowledge that they need not take fire in return. Once all visible targets have been eliminated you simply push up to the next spotting location and repeat the process. Nor can the enemy relocate or threaten your base since you can easily spot them should they try. It is also easy to push across the Lake from here to take up advanced spotting locations along the opposite shore to track down stragglers.

The Hill

As I have outlined, you take the Hill to allow you complete control of the fields and Ridgeline below. It is at this point that players often make a classic strategic blunder. From a position of dominance they frequently push directly off the Hill and into the enemy Base. The only reason this tactic works as often as it does is because the overwhelming majority of the enemy force is either now dead on the hill or covering the Field and in no position to interfere. The tanks on the Hill should now switch to a support role, providing fire support for scouts (of any class) moving through along the Ridgeline. Once the immediate resistance has been removed, and provided there is no threat to their Base, they are free to rejoin the offensive.

The Field

Once you rise above the low tiers the field is no longer an important part of the map. It makes no sense to leave it entirely undefended but this could be said about any flank on any map. It can be quickly seized and exploited by a fast moving group of top tier mediums but it doesn’t give them any particular advantage and could only be recommended as a strategy for competent platoons faced with teams mismatched in terms of class and mobility.

The Bases

Both of the Bases have terrain around them that allows for a last ditch defence if either flank collapses. It exploits the fact that the attacking team are forced into the narrow area between the lake and the map border. Neither is strong enough to survive a sustained assault but it is better than nothing. These defences, however, provide little cover for a team trying to cap and so base captures usually only succeed due to enemy inattention.

Optimal Strategy

Win the Hill. Exploit the Ridgeline. Win.

Biggest Mistakes

• Failing to prioritise the Hill. Not only do you need to commit forces to the Hill, you need to do it quickly. Tanks on the East side are very exposed to flanking fire if they don’t reach the top.
  • Pushing off the hill and into the Base. This throws away a huge strategic advantage and usually happens too fast for supporting players to keep up. Use your position on the Hill to clear out the Ridgeline. If no-one is there then drop a tank or two off the Hill to act as scouts.
  • Failing to vacate the Ridgeline once the Hill is lost. With the Hill in enemy control the Ridgeline becomes horribly exposed and forces here should fall back immediately or risk elimination.

Edited by Dr Bodge, 25 May 2016 - 12:43 PM.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

LacqueredBacon #2 Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35422 battles

I find the that most important strategy is to control the ridge line AND the hill simultaneously.  If you are on a team that ignores the ridge line but pushes up the hill, they will often start to take shots resulting in a stalled push. Anyone that does make it to the top will be usually be outnumbered or at the very least have their attention divided between tanks on the hill and tanks on the ridge.

Of course, taking the ridge but ignoring the hill is a complete disaster. 

I agree with the field.  It needs to be defended but taking the field does not offer much strategically.

Dr Bodge #3 Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Hi SlipperyBat,

I agree that the Ridgeline can play an important role in the battle for the Hill but for some reason didn't actually make that clear. I have now edited the text to make this point clear.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users