Map 20: Pacific Island (Intermediate)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Dr Bodge #1 Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9612 battles

Dr Bodge’s Guide to Pacific Island (Intermediate)

Map Overview

There isn’t a nice way to say this, but Pacific Island isn’t a very good map. I can appreciate the work that has gone into it but, more than many others it feel as if deliberate design decisions to ‘balance’ the map have rendered it unfit for purpose. The problem is fairly simple. The map is asymmetric, which is in itself okay, but to counter-balance the lack of cover in the middle of the map all potential sniping positions in the North have been carefully and systematically removed or handicapped. For anyone playing a glass-cannon this map is painful. Worse still there is almost no incentive for the Northern team to move beyond their base, except along the West flank. If the Northern team lose a flank the extremely limiting nature of the terrain means it is very difficult to stop the South team from climbing into the Base. There is rarely a second line of defence which means that the game is frequently determined by imbalances in initial deployment. This lack of depth also makes it hard to use vision, map awareness and coordination to outplay a technically superior enemy force.

East Flank

The South side will predictably push here and, although it will be well covered by defenders, often leads to victory. Once you have pushed to the bottom of the cliffs below the Base Plateau it is hard for the defenders to fight effectively. The steepness of the terrain and the awkwardness of manoeuvring makes further combat difficult unless the defenders drop down to sea level. If they do they lose their main advantage and also the capacity to respond to cap pressure. Both flanks share the same problem; by the time you know how the enemy have deployed it is sometimes too late for slow tanks to change flanks.

West Flank

This flank is normally more stable, due mainly to the fact that the combat is fairly symmetric. If the North team falls the enemy will be able to push forward, quickly getting under the guns of the defenders. As with the East Flank once this happens any campers on the ridge will become easy pickings for the camping TDs in the distance who have nothing else to do.

Cliff Road

The only way of breaking the predictability of this battle is to attempt to push up the Cliff Road and into the Base. This isn’t an easy task and is only possible if the enemy are not paying attention. As such it is hardly to be recommended as an optimal strategy.

Optimal Strategy

Win one flank while not losing the other. I can’t offer any more advice than this.

Biggest Mistakes

• Not knowing when to quit. You need to work out quickly whether you have an advantage on your flank. If not, stop, fall back and preserve health. If you are on the South Team falling back allows you to bring your TDs into the game.
  • Chasing easy kills. A common mistake is for the North team to drop down to chase easy kills only to find themselves isolated and unable to respond quickly to events elsewhere (usually in their Base).
  • Lack of map awareness. This map is small and predictable so there is no justification for allowing yourself to be fast capped, and yet it still occasionally happens to the North team.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

bimoadji #2 Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:34 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17913 battles
  • [NKRI]

With this map, depending on where you start, the fighting n shooting will vary. I find that whenever I start from the south base, the red from the north will already be somewhere along the west flank with 3 to 4 tanks standing by while the put the other halves along the east flank and, if they have artillery or TD, they surely will be lobbing some shells from the north base hill.

While if I start from the north base, the reds will surely be waiting somewhere in the not so high hill along the west flank and sniping from an alley in the east flank.

And yes, chasing easy kills is dangerous. It happened to me once or twice. :facepalm:

moonwhistle #3 Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34491 battles
I find that the north base offer no tactical advantage. The north team are better off all getting off the high ground asap as the enemy will be under them on one of the flanks in the first couple of minutes. Imo the south team should win most of the time if they deploy properly.

FromBravo2Kilo #4 Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22008 battles
  • [47R]
I would love to see the North Base hill lowered in elevation.

Rubbelito #5 Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 24850 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

These map guides needs to be pinned.

CptBadger #6 Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 15127 battles
  • [BEARD]

View PostRubbelito, on 26 July 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

These map guides needs to be pinned.

http://forum-console...ges-map-guides/

Rubbelito #7 Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 24850 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostCptBadger, on 26 July 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

Oh... sneaky... :amazed::teethhappy::great:

MelloCWB #8 Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19467 battles

I just realized that in the vast majority of my matches in this map I spawned at south base.

Really, I can recall only a couple of times in which I started at north base, one of them playing an arty, btw.

Besides that, every memory I have from this map shows me starting at south base.

Go figure.

ABAOUIA #9 Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 47049 battles
  • [ASYLM]
Give me my T-127 and i will rock this map !

Favorit map for that tank no matter what Side i start !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users