How Do I Deal With The Stock SU-100?

SU-100 USSR TD Tank Destroyer Tier VI Tier 6 SU-152 ISU-152 SU-85

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

XTG72 #1 Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2784 battles

Recently I unlocked the SU-100. I thought it would be a fun tank to play in because I had fun using the 122 smack cannon on the SU-85. But the stock 85mm gun is so god damn miserable. You'd think at T6 that 120mm of pen would work, but astonishingly, all I can manage to do is listen to the sound of shells bouncing for days. It's so god damn miserable earning less than 300xp per battle and only managing to actually penetrate either 1 or two shots every other game.

Are there any tips out there to actually play this pile of s*** up until I unlock the 100-1 package? And then to the package after that?

I don't have a lot of silver to spend. Less than a mill actually. I don't have any crews that are extraordinary, only basic 50% crews.  

KillerDNA #2 Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

Major

• Players
  • 44412 battles
  • [LIGHT]

tip 1: chill out it's just a game

tip 2: load some preemo ammo and HE. if you can't pen it then go fo4r the tracks for your arty

tip 3: only shoot at weaker tanks like lights and such (but don't you DARE shoot my light tank lol)

tip 4: get more free XP by playing other tanks

Lycan T71 *** (Dot Dot Slash) / Cruiser Mk.II (Matilda Crusher) / Spähpanzer Ru 251 *** (Sucker Punch) / ELC AMX *** (Spider Ninji)

KV-2 ** (I'm a Derpaholic) / GwE-100 *** (Mighty Mammut) / FV304 *** (BERT the Daredevil) / S-51 *** (Finger of Death)

Light Tank Master Race 

radinko245 #3 Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21864 battles
  • [FILTH]

View PostXTG72, on 28 August 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Recently I unlocked the SU-100. I thought it would be a fun tank to play in because I had fun using the 122 smack cannon on the SU-85. But the stock 85mm gun is so god damn miserable. You'd think at T6 that 120mm of pen would work, but astonishingly, all I can manage to do is listen to the sound of shells bouncing for days. It's so god damn miserable earning less than 300xp per battle and only managing to actually penetrate either 1 or two shots every other game.

Are there any tips out there to actually play this pile of s*** up until I unlock the 100-1 package? And then to the package after that?

I don't have a lot of silver to spend. Less than a mill actually. I don't have any crews that are extraordinary, only basic 50% crews.  

Hi there!

Did you unlock the top gun on SU-85? If yes, this gun will be unlocked on SU-100 as well and it isn't a bad gun. If not, please go back to SU-85, play few games and unlock the top gun or ... use free XP!

3MoE: Tier IX: Obj. 704, Jagdtiger, STRV-103-0, E50, M46 Patton, M103, Tier VIII:  Ariete Progetto M35 mod. 46, Jagdpanther II, WZ-111-1G FT,  Yazi, ISU-152, Ferdinand, T28 Prototype, VK 45.02A, Stark S1, 112, UDES03, Indien Pz,Charioteer, M26 Pershing, T26E4 Freedom, Pz 58 Mutz, T-32, Primo Victoria, T26E5 Patriot, Lowe, Centurion Mk 1, Tiger II, Panther II Tier VII: SU-100M1, T-34-2G FT, ISU-122S, Tiger (P), SU-122-44, Sturer Emil, Tiger I, Tiger 131, Challenger, E-25, VK30.02(D),  IKV 90 B, SU-152, M56-Scorpion, Comet, Panther, T25/2, T20, T25 AT, Jagdpanther, T-29, T-43 Tier VI: WZ-131G FT, Nashorn, HMH T-34-85M, T-34-88, Skoda T-40 Zizka, Firefly, M4A3E8 Sherman, Škoda T 25, SU-100, IKV 65 II, Dicker Max, M36 Jackson, M18 Hellcat, VK30.01D, VK30.01 (P), Pz. Kpfw. IV Schmalturm, Jagdpanzer IV, T34-85, VK 36.01H, VK 30.02M, M6, T-34-85 Rudy, Fury, M4A3E2 Tier V: Pz. Sf. IVc, Archer, Crusader, T-1 Heavy, T67, M10 Wolverine, M4, M7, Pz.Kpfw III/IV, Pz.Kpfw IV H, GuP, SU-85, T-34, Skoda T-24, The Hidden StuG III, StuG III Auf. G, VK 30.01H, Type 3 Chi-Nu-Kai, Ram II, T-34 FG, Matilda IV

IronBallsMatt #4 Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 10629 battles

i tried the stock SU 100 for a bit, I'm on the 100 now

I have rammer, camo and binocs fitted, and used normal rounds and loads of HE. I sniped at enemies tracks with HE and kept back with support.

Use operations to earn the extra experience, there's usually something out there and just do what WoT does best - Grind

After tier 5 I'd recommend buying 75% crews every time, otherwise you are always a bit behind on skills and over training is less do-able

XTG72 #5 Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:23 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2784 battles

View Postradinko245, on 28 August 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

Hi there!

Did you unlock the top gun on SU-85? If yes, this gun will be unlocked on SU-100 as well and it isn't a bad gun. If not, please go back to SU-85, play few games and unlock the top gun or ... use free XP!

I previously used the SU-85. That is how I got to the SU-100. I used the 122 for most of the ride through the SU-85. That was the perk of that tank because it's armor, like the SU-100 is terrible and it's view range is blind. Unfortunately there are no packages after the stock that costs 0xp to research(I've only ever experienced thins while playing German tanks tiers 3 through 5).

My only intent with the SU-100 is the same as it was with the SU-85, unlocking the smack cannon(s). As that is the cannon that is the big damage dealer. As well as the most satisfying(when you hit a target) to use. I did not what-so-ever play the SU-85 to unlock the final 85mm gun. It was 15K xp, and by that time I was already well on my way to earning and unlocking the SU-100. Which I think costed somewhere like 5 or 10 thousand more xp to unlock than the top gun.

XTG72 #6 Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:25 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2784 battles

View PostIronBallsMatt, on 28 August 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

i tried the stock SU 100 for a bit, I'm on the 100 now

I have rammer, camo and binocs fitted, and used normal rounds and loads of HE. I sniped at enemies tracks with HE and kept back with support.

Use operations to earn the extra experience, there's usually something out there and just do what WoT does best - Grind

After tier 5 I'd recommend buying 75% crews every time, otherwise you are always a bit behind on skills and over training is less do-able

The problem with using operations for the SU-100 is that currently they are unobtainable for me in the stock SU-100 because the gun cannot what-so-ever do its job. Damaging tanks, let alone killing them, is severely out of the question unfortunately. At most, this gun's only capable of damaging tracks unfortunately.

poopysticky #7 Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:00 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 54 battles

View PostXTG72, on 28 August 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

The problem with using operations for the SU-100 is that currently they are unobtainable for me in the stock SU-100 because the gun cannot what-so-ever do its job. Damaging tanks, let alone killing them, is severely out of the question unfortunately. At most, this gun's only capable of damaging tracks unfortunately.

Always go 75% crew, and or you can overtrain previews tanks crew to get 75>to 100% crew moving up.   Best to use freeXP you've earned to unlock guns if its a huge 30-60k grind for better gun.  sometime will play other tanks to earn freexp and just do x2 daily for su-100 until the last guns unlocked, unless of course your having a fun time with lower stock guns.
"Gliding o'er all, through all, Through Nature, Time, and Space, As a ship on the waters advancing, The voyage of the soul—not life alone, Death, many deaths I'll sing." W.W.

XTG72 #8 Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2784 battles

View Postpoopysticky, on 29 August 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

Always go 75% crew, and or you can overtrain previews tanks crew to get 75>to 100% crew moving up.   Best to use freeXP you've earned to unlock guns if its a huge 30-60k grind for better gun.  sometime will play other tanks to earn freexp and just do x2 daily for su-100 until the last guns unlocked, unless of course your having a fun time with lower stock guns.

My problem with going for 75% crews is it's just a waste of silver where as I can get a free crew at 50%. I understand that the 75% trained makes the "grind" less. But it has to costs a ridiculous amount(50-110K). That's silver I don't have to spend.

I cannot get Free XP in mass quantities to earn a significant amount to unlock packages "quicker". I do not know how to earn Free XP, I just know that it's a teeny tiny amount of your total XP per match. My plan for the SU-100 is just to unlock the first 85mm, use that until the 100mm is unlocked and then go from there to the 122mm. And eventually unlock the SU-152.

IronBallsMatt #9 Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10629 battles

View PostXTG72, on 29 August 2016 - 03:25 AM, said:

I checked, and i have the upgraded 85 gun, which was already unlocked from previous tanks, its ok but not a great gun

I think it's about managing expectations. I am getting used to the tank's speed, how the armour performs, and using it as a sniper/spotter. My new crew has only half the camo skill learned so far, and i have a net with binocs so i'm set up to stay out of trouble

if you can only damage tracks, then get your exp points from track assists and spot assists

silver is just silver, if you can save the hours it takes to earn 25% of a crew's skill by spending the silver you can earn with other tanks in half an hour (?), I think it's worth it

and a couple of skills on your SU 100 would probably improve your success with it even with the nasty gun

you will get there

psmobius1 #10 Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30001 battles
  • [USA1]
Always always always play your current tank to unlock all upgrades as those upgrades often roll into the next tank and sometimes it rolls into a tank on another grind. By playing the current tank to its max, you get the most silver and crew XP along the way. It is much easier to grind a lower tier tank for the upgrade than it is to move into the next tier up and then have to grind for the gun you could have already had. You can always tell which ones you should stick with and grind out on the lower tier just by comparing its packages to the packages in the next tank along the line, if you see match then stay in the lower tier a bit longer.

XTG72 #11 Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2784 battles

View PostIronBallsMatt, on 30 August 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

I checked, and i have the upgraded 85 gun, which was already unlocked from previous tanks, its ok but not a great gun

I think it's about managing expectations. I am getting used to the tank's speed, how the armour performs, and using it as a sniper/spotter. My new crew has only half the camo skill learned so far, and i have a net with binocs so i'm set up to stay out of trouble

if you can only damage tracks, then get your exp points from track assists and spot assists

silver is just silver, if you can save the hours it takes to earn 25% of a crew's skill by spending the silver you can earn with other tanks in half an hour (?), I think it's worth it

and a couple of skills on your SU 100 would probably improve your success with it even with the nasty gun

you will get there

I'm no unicorn stallion here. I don't have the luxury of having crews that're trained in hundreds of Skills and Perks. I'm not that devoted to my crews as of yet. All of my vehicles are of Tier 6 and below. I haven't had the opportunity to play a tank long enough(one that I would actually enjoy playing) to allow the crews to gain the 100% training they need to start enrolling in Skills and Perks.

Anyway, it's hard to just sit there and track targets and then just wait there for your team mates to do damage. I can aim and track opponents, but's that's not doing me any good to keep seeing "Critical Hit" just to not be rewarded what-so-ever for my trying efforts. Sadly, this tank with it's stock cannon is just a mass of sadness and anger. But, tracking's all I can do as of now. I'll just be grinding the 50-300xp per match.

XTG72 #12 Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2784 battles

View Postpsmobius1, on 30 August 2016 - 11:39 AM, said:

Always always always play your current tank to unlock all upgrades as those upgrades often roll into the next tank and sometimes it rolls into a tank on another grind. By playing the current tank to its max, you get the most silver and crew XP along the way. It is much easier to grind a lower tier tank for the upgrade than it is to move into the next tier up and then have to grind for the gun you could have already had. You can always tell which ones you should stick with and grind out on the lower tier just by comparing its packages to the packages in the next tank along the line, if you see match then stay in the lower tier a bit longer.

Interesting that you would say that. I mean, I can see why it'd be beneficial to me(or anybody), but the goal here(at least in my eyes) would be do unlock the next tier tank. If getting the option to choose between either upgrading the barrel of your tank or unlocking the next tank, I'm more than likely going to "grind" my way past the xp needed for the barrel of the gun, to unlock the next tank.

However, with that being said, I could go back and repurchase the SU-85 and just continue to use the 122m until I've gained the xp needed to research the 15k-20k needed to unlock the top 85mm on the SU-85. Then from that point, sell it, and unlock the gun on the SU-100 for free(except silver, which'll probably still cost some). But again in the same time, I have that mentality of why bother playing a tank you no longer need to play with when you have the next tank in the line or any of its successors. I have that mentality of wanting to just get my way to the next tank any way I can. If I have the option to skip a gun selection, I will. That's just my mentality. Idk why or how. But, I will keep in mind about that. Maybe I will go back with the SU-85 and it's 122mm. Just until I unlock the 15k for the top gun.

IronBallsMatt #13 Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10629 battles
I hate to say it, but WoT is a game that puts players through a lot of pain on the way to the good stuff and unless you find a way to get something out of it during the grind, you're sort of missing the point. When you get to tier 9 there are 150,000 point grinds for the some packages. Usually the hours spent playing a weak tank are where you learn how to play it well

GUGS GUNNY #14 Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17165 battles
Just like to add that I feel as though WG places SU-100 in matchmaking as though it were already loaded with the 122. Just got it and I've played almost 20 games and the highest I've been is sixth from the bottom in tier 7/8 games. Usually in the bottom 3 on a team. Too many times the very bottom. With the 85mm that really sucks. I'm just easy xp for someone else. Managed to finish in the top 5 once or twice, but that was luck. Don't want to blow my free xp.

Muttz v2 #15 Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25046 battles
i hate the su100, iv unlocked the isu152 and sold the su100 for about the 5th time since i started grinding it.
anyway just to answer some of the points and questions you raised.
a crew is allways worth the silver/time to train up. if you consider what the tank cost and how long you'll be driving it surley it makes sence.. you say the tank is pants, but its driven by idiots, what do you expect?

the point of the game isn't just to get the next tank. it to have fun, learn the maps, learn the playstyle and do well. the lower and mid tiers are also where you train up your crews. a t6 td shud atleast have a couple of skills on it, camo, 6th, snapshot or whatever. my su100 crew has 5 skills and 4 of those were trained in the su85b which i loved and should never of sold. do you have equipment and surplys or are they a waste of silver aswell? people pay 20,000silver a battle on food for a 10% increase in crew skills.. 200,000ish for vents and another 5% skill boost. gettin a 75% crew is the best spent silver in the game.

i unlocked most of the packs on the su100 by unlocking everything on other tanks and saving up my free xp. i then yolo'd like a [edited]for the x2 every day and when id had enough i went to play a tank i did like. the su line isnt really that bad, there are much worse grinds but there are better 1s aswell. if your gettin sick of it at t6 then give it a rest, grind something fun for a while and build up that free xp.

good luck.

Edited by MuttzNutts, 04 December 2016 - 06:56 PM.

poopysticky #16 Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:22 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 54 battles

View PostXTG72, on 30 August 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

My problem with going for 75% crews is it's just a waste of silver where as I can get a free crew at 50%. I understand that the 75% trained makes the "grind" less. But it has to costs a ridiculous amount(50-110K). That's silver I don't have to spend.

I cannot get Free XP in mass quantities to earn a significant amount to unlock packages "quicker". I do not know how to earn Free XP, I just know that it's a teeny tiny amount of your total XP per match. My plan for the SU-100 is just to unlock the first 85mm, use that until the 100mm is unlocked and then go from there to the 122mm. And eventually unlock the SU-152.

I understand but from 50% makes it long grind to 100% before you start earning crewXP towards skills/perks.    Plus your crew performs at 50% so your tank will play like super junky.   Just play alot of games to earn freexp, if you have premium tanks play those to train crew, rackup  silver + freexp.

So how is your su-152 going?   did you keep the su-100?

"Gliding o'er all, through all, Through Nature, Time, and Space, As a ship on the waters advancing, The voyage of the soul—not life alone, Death, many deaths I'll sing." W.W.

Gadoguz94 #17 Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19664 battles
  • [A666]
Get used to having miserable stock grinds for all soviet tds (especially su-152 if you choose that line) and pick your targets carefully,  go for tracking damage or flank to shoot from the sides, the su-100 does have the mobility to do this, all in all it's a great td, 2nd only to the hellcat in tier 6 in my opinion, once you get the top gun you oneshot alot of tier 5s as well which is incredibly satisfying, gl with the grind

rrmike #18 Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21483 battles
  • [ARROW]

View PostXTG72, on 30 August 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

Interesting that you would say that. I mean, I can see why it'd be beneficial to me(or anybody), but the goal here(at least in my eyes) would be do unlock the next tier tank. If getting the option to choose between either upgrading the barrel of your tank or unlocking the next tank, I'm more than likely going to "grind" my way past the xp needed for the barrel of the gun, to unlock the next tank.

Well, you're seeing first hand why you unlock all the guns.  It's easier to grind that xp a tier lower than it is to do it a tier higher with a worse gun.  Also: Get a 75% crew and start moving your crews up from here.  By the time you finish the 100 that crew will have hit 100% and be well on the way to finishing camo skill, or sixth sense if you don't plan to spend 10 gold to swap.

JPollocksNo5 #19 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33303 battles
  • [UK]

Just play it once (or twice if you lose) a day, to get the double xp.

Grind and dump. Nothing worse than playing a tank you hate just to grind packages.

Play ones you do like, and all, to get your double xp as all xp contributes to free xp. Also, playing premiums will also contribute massively to your silver.

The game is supposed to be fun.

XTG72 #20 Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2784 battles

View Postpoopysticky, on 05 December 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

So how is your su-152 going?   did you keep the su-100?

My SU-100's grind has been done and over with for quite some time. Honestly, I enjoyed the SU-100. Though, I am more passive when it comes to gameplay. If I had to make a suggestions to anybody else playing the SU-100, it's that they keep the 100mm barrel. Yeah, the 122 is nice because of it's higher damage roll. But compared to the 100, the 122 has a slower rate of fire, it takes longer to aim(by 0.60 seconds) and it's less accurate(0.43). Though you might not think the 0.43 is that bad, coming from my experience of playing the SU-100 with BOTH barrels(122 and the 100) I was more likely(I'd say fairly maybe 15-25%)to hit mid and far ranged targets with the 100 than the 122. Also, the faster aim time on the 100 allows you to make better calls than the lengthy 3 seconds(almost) on the 122. My opinions though. My thoughts. Never kept the SU-100.

Absolutely LOVED my SU-152 every step of the way. Never once bought any of the 122 packages though(I xp'ed them to unlock them, but never bought them with silver). I see people using the 122's on there SU-152s and I go "Why? What are you thinking?" I mean, I understand the better rate of fire, accuracy & aim time. But I just can't see myself playing it without the big ol' 152mm. I've researched the ISU-152, but now I'm just racking up the xp to unlock the final 122mm package on the SU-152 so I can "lessen" the burden on the ISU. Sadly, even still, I'd have to play the ISU-152 stock until I had enough xp for the ISU-152M package. Then I'll have to grind my way through those packages to get that BL-10 gun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users