Road to Hammer

Youtube Hammer video

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

UngainlyTitan1 #1 Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

Not sure of the etiquette relating to posting and publicising ones YouTube video's but this seems to be the area to do it. I have been putting up video's on YouTube for a while but I have never really attempted to publicise them in the community.

However, this seems to be the right place, let me know if it otherwise. I have just added a video on my struggle to gain the Hammer tank and I hope you enjoy it.

Tommy1979AtWar #2 Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8000 battles
Subbed, I had exactly the same issue lol, EVERY time I got to around 5 or 6 wins I got kicked back down with 3 or 4 successive loses which led to frustration and more mistakes, I eventually started bleeding gold just to gain the highest xp and managed it with just a few hours to spare as I'd put it off until the last minute.

There is no spoon...

UngainlyTitan1 #3 Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

View PostTommy1979AtWar, on 02 September 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Subbed, I had exactly the same issue lol, EVERY time I got to around 5 or 6 wins I got kicked back down with 3 or 4 successive loses which led to frustration and more mistakes, I eventually started bleeding gold just to gain the highest xp and managed it with just a few hours to spare as I'd put it off until the last minute.

LOL know the feeling, though I started bleeding silver in time to have finished with 14/15 hours to go.

disqruntled bil #4 Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 13827 battles
This was a very frustrating operation. After the first day I adopted the attitude of if I get Hammer great, if not oh well. What the most frustrating thing about this was, is you really did not have any control over  you progress. You never knew if the team you got was good or bad. Being in a platoon did not help, I saw a lot of platoons die very quickly. In the first two operations for the free tanks it was left up to your skill and ability, not random chance.

UngainlyTitan1 #5 Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

View Postdisqruntled bil, on 02 September 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

This was a very frustrating operation. After the first day I adopted the attitude of if I get Hammer great, if not oh well. What the most frustrating thing about this was, is you really did not have any control over  you progress. You never knew if the team you got was good or bad. Being in a platoon did not help, I saw a lot of platoons die very quickly. In the first two operations for the free tanks it was left up to your skill and ability, not random chance.

I agree that it was a frustrating operation but respectfully disagree that the Motherland and CDC operations were rewarding skill. They rewarded persistence, being consistently in the top 5 match after match take a lot of skill which do not have. However, I totally get that getting to +6 or greater and see it all disappear is immensely frustrating.

UngainlyTitan1 #6 Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

Now my xbone as croaked, am a very sad panda.

CtP2727 #7 Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 17790 battles

View PostTommy1979AtWar, on 02 September 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Haha, i know just how you felt. I just kept going up and down. Took me 24 games for the final stage but got the last 6 points in 3 battles lol

UngainlyTitan1 #8 Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

Just added a follow up video showing the first game I had in the Hammer.

UngainlyTitan1 #9 Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

Thanks, Wargaming for featuring this video on the weekly video heroes section.

IronBallsMatt #10 Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10629 battles

View PostUngainlyTitan1, on 02 September 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

I agree that it was a frustrating operation but respectfully disagree that the Motherland and CDC operations were rewarding skill. They rewarded persistence, being consistently in the top 5 match after match take a lot of skill which do not have

I don't know how a short term event can reward skill, since the randomness of match making and match outcomes means you only really know how good you are in a tank after several dozen battles.I would much rather be lucky in a WoT op than skillful, and I was amazed that I unlocked the final hammer chain in about an hour and a half

the ranked match system would probably be a better place to acknowledge skill with reward tanks

PumpkinEcobar #11 Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:43 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14881 battles
I liked the hammer op, but I paid for it with premium ammo. I ran my favorite tank, the Jackson, and tried to deal out damage and stay in the top 3 to not lose a point.

UngainlyTitan1 #12 Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:13 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

View PostIronBallsMatt, on 16 September 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't know how a short term event can reward skill, since the randomness of match making and match outcomes means you only really know how good you are in a tank after several dozen battles.I would much rather be lucky in a WoT op than skillful, and I was amazed that I unlocked the final hammer chain in about an hour and a half

the ranked match system would probably be a better place to acknowledge skill with reward tanks

There is that approach, but would probably put most most greenbeans (like myself) and worse out of the running.

IronBallsMatt #13 Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:43 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 10629 battles

View PostUngainlyTitan1, on 19 September 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

There is that approach, but would probably put most most greenbeans (like myself) and worse out of the running.

yes, that's true.

what if tanks could be unlocked once you achieved a certain goal through the ranked system? I am not talking about tier 8 special tanks like the ones we're getting now, but perhaps lower tier tanks could be made accessible

UngainlyTitan1 #14 Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 32836 battles

View PostIronBallsMatt, on 19 September 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

yes, that's true.

what if tanks could be unlocked once you achieved a certain goal through the ranked system? I am not talking about tier 8 special tanks like the ones we're getting now, but perhaps lower tier tanks could be made accessible

Sorry for the delay on reply, I follow this topic and set the follow to notify me but as far as I can tell that notification system never works.

I can see merit in what you are suggesting but I doubt that it reaches business goals that Wargaming has for the hero tanks. As far as I can see the object is similar to the observation (I think it was Colbert for the original quote) that taxation was like plucking goose feathers where one wanted the maximum amount of feathers with the least amount of hissing. Wargamming want people to buy the tank or to buy premium time. The straight xp grind was very much weighted toward buying premium time but the requirement for high damage is also an incentive to buy premium so that one can afford to spam premium ammo.

If the tank is obviously out of the reach of the majority of the players then the will not even try and the premium time sales will go down.

Now tanks as prizes for achievements in the ranked battles will probably be thing to encourage people to try and to keep the population up but as far as I know the PC version has dropped ranked battles and I suspect that keeping up a sufficient server population may have been part of the issue.

I suspect that in ranked battles the top 1000 positions will be filled with unicum players with time on their hands and the rest will be bumping along the bottom get bored with it after a few months and drop out.

Now watching the top 1000 at regularly scheduled times on twitch might be fun but now you are entering the area of a pro or semi pro league.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users