Lowe Löwe Lion

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Greywoolfe64 #21 Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14811 battles
  • [27PZR]
I've also changed the commander's training from Clutch Braking to Snap Shot, and things are steadily improving. Not too many kills as yet, but the wins and survival rate are going up, as well as the average damage per battle.

"Some say that he dines on lower glacis, and that he once spent three weeks hiding in a thick French bush. All we know is, he's called the Stug!"

Current garage (MOE's marked with star*) -click spoiler.

Spoiler

RagingxMarmoset #22 Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10241 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostGreywoolfe64, on 01 December 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

I've also changed the commander's training from Clutch Braking to Snap Shot, and things are steadily improving. Not too many kills as yet, but the wins and survival rate are going up, as well as the average damage per battle.

Clutch braking is actually really useful for the Löwe. Even when top tier, I play in a support role until late game when I can bully the worn out enemies. The gun is just superb from long ranges. It's like a medium tank 105. 

"Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

Evil-Stalker- #23 Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:45 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13442 battles
  • [HUNT]
Thanks for the guide m8 ... i have the BE lowe with a crew of 10 perks in it .. it sure does make silver and lots of free xp that helps to bypass a few tanks and upgrades .

JPollocksNo5 #24 Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30075 battles
  • [UK]

How can you not run automatic fire extinhuishers in a German tank? I always laugh when I see something on fire, slowly bleeding to death, or not so slowly.

[Excellent piece, btw] Made me think a bit more about my standard kit outs.

Up to tier 9, I run fire ext, small first aid and small repairs. Tier 9, auto fire and large first aid/repair.

German, British and Chinese above tier 4, automatic fire extinguishers.

Anything german with a LFG WILL get engined at least once, so you need a repair kit. Engines are directly related to fire, no? Ergo...?

JPollocksNo5 #25 Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30075 battles
  • [UK]

I quite like mine, not played it so much since I unlocked the Tiger II and E75 last year.

My play style is to start off as a sniper. Not necessarily in a bush, hopefully hard cover. If you are not top tier, you'll have to do this, hang back, exploit, take advantage of gaps, people otherwise occupied. Snipe, write down health.

If top tier, you can be far more aggresive, don't go off on your own; for 2 reasons.

1. Yes, your turret is great but your side turret is nice and flat and your sides are gash!

2. LFG. lfg, lfg. It's an obvious weakspot. Angling will help but anyone at tiers 6 and above should know about this achilles heel on most German tanks.

You have to keep it hidden, peek a boo helps but as soon as you slow down to aim properly, both that, your gun port and a little nipple on your turret are all easy pens.

RabidSasquatch0 #26 Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 17606 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostJPollocksNo5, on 03 January 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

How can you not run automatic fire extinhuishers in a German tank? I always laugh when I see something on fire, slowly bleeding to death, or not so slowly.

[Excellent piece, btw] Made me think a bit more about my standard kit outs.

Up to tier 9, I run fire ext, small first aid and small repairs. Tier 9, auto fire and large first aid/repair.

German, British and Chinese above tier 4, automatic fire extinguishers.

Anything german with a LFG WILL get engined at least once, so you need a repair kit. Engines are directly related to fire, no? Ergo...?

yes but this all ties into play style.  Long story short, don't get shot in the lower front hull (not that the upper plate is any better but the idea is don't get shot here).  Once you learn how to not get shot here (which really isn't that hard, it's just a matter of sidescraping, which this thing is great at especially since it's reverse speed is fairly good), you really don't "need" a fire extinguisher.  It's like the leopard one's ammo rack.  If you're getting shot in the hull, you're playing the tank wrong (obviously you can't avoid being shot 100% of the time, but most people don't 3ven try so they make the tank look bad to those fighting them).

I still run a manual fire extinguisher, but I probably use it less than 1/20 matches.  I also believe the Löwe has a low fire chance engine (like 12%) as opposed to most German's 15 or 20% fire ones.

JPollocksNo5 #27 Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30075 battles
  • [UK]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 04 January 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

yes but this all ties into play style.  Long story short, don't get shot in the lower front hull (not that the upper plate is any better but the idea is don't get shot here).  Once you learn how to not get shot here (which really isn't that hard, it's just a matter of sidescraping, which this thing is great at especially since it's reverse speed is fairly good), you really don't "need" a fire extinguisher.  It's like the leopard one's ammo rack.  If you're getting shot in the hull, you're playing the tank wrong (obviously you can't avoid being shot 100% of the time, but most people don't 3ven try so they make the tank look bad to those fighting them).

I still run a manual fire extinguisher, but I probably use it less than 1/20 matches.  I also believe the Löwe has a low fire chance engine (like 12%) as opposed to most German's 15 or 20% fire ones.

It's a bit simplistic to say 'hide your lfg' - fine if you are camping.

Not if you are actually trying to actively contribute or carry a game?

Not necessarily restricted to the Lowe.

RabidSasquatch0 #28 Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 17606 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostJPollocksNo5, on 05 January 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

It's a bit simplistic to say 'hide your lfg' - fine if you are camping.

Not if you are actually trying to actively contribute or carry a game?

Not necessarily restricted to the Lowe.

Side scraping?  Go hull down?  Heck I will face hug people to hide my lower plate, it's 100% situational.  "Hiding" is a matter of making that part of your tank either impossible to shoot or not the enemy's primary target (IE I don't have to use cover if I'm not spotted, I don't have to hide my lower plate if I know that the person is shooting someone else, I can make my front hull an autobounce, etc).  Sometimes its worth taking a shot to one part of your tank just to be sure they don't hit somewhere else (rarely, but opportunities do happen).

Yes, I gave a gross oversimplification but that is by far the easiest way to avoid being set on fire.  If you just sit out in the open and rely on fire extinguishers and RNG you are not going to have a very good time using this tank.

JPollocksNo5 #29 Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30075 battles
  • [UK]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 07 January 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

.  If you just sit out in the open and rely on fire extinguishers and RNG you are not going to have a very good time using this tank.

And you know that's not what I suggested at all.

You are being obtuse for the sake of it.

RabidSasquatch0 #30 Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:23 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 17606 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostJPollocksNo5, on 11 January 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

And you know that's not what I suggested at all.

You are being obtuse for the sake of it.

So assuming that by hiding one's lower plate someone is camping isn't?

All I am saying is that there are ways to cover weakspots in all sorts of situations;  I agree wholeheartedly this is not a tank you want to be alone in (its 100% a support vehicle; it can 1v1 or sometimes hold a flank, but it is far from the best pick to do so with; my main reason being that you'll be out DPM'd should anyone rush you).  If you are having a problem with being caught on fire frequently (which I assumed you do, given what you've already said), I personally think that it is your playstyle.  I'm not saying it's hard to catch a german tank on fire, but it is extremely hard to catch a good german tanker on fire.

I'm just trying to give advice, you don't have to take it.

Edited by RabidSasquatch0, 12 January 2017 - 04:23 AM.

ChubonesX #31 Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Private

• Players
  • 14660 battles

View PostBlaxsun, on 19 September 2016 - 03:43 AM, said:

I thought I would start a guide for the German Löwe heavy tank as equipment, supplies, skills and perk selection are fairly critical. As this hasn't been extensively covered, this will be the primary focus (those with vastly more experience in the Löwe are most welcome to contribute any suggestions for tactics).

Brief History of the Löwe (taken from https://en.wikipedia...Panzer_VII_Löwe)

The Panzerkampfwagen VII Löwe (Lion) was a design for a super-heavy tank created by Krupp for the German government during World War II. The project, initially code-named VK 70.01 (K), never left the drawing board, and was dropped in 5–6 March 1942 in favor of Porsche's heavier Panzer VIII Maus. The Löwe was designed in two variants (both would have had a crew of five):

Leichter Löwe (PC-only, uber-rare Clan Tier X VK 72.01 (K) Löwe)

It was to weigh 76 tonnes, had 100 millimeters of frontal armor, a rear-mounted turret, a 105 mm L/70 high velocity gun, and a coaxial machine gun, while still managing a top speed 27 km/h. It was later cancelled by Adolf Hitler.

The WoT version features 200mm armor, a massive 150mm KW.K L/38 gun and despite weighing over 120 tonnes is rumoured to be the fastest Tier X heavy tank in the game with a top speed of 43km/h. Well, we can dream...

Schwerer Löwe (PC/Console Tier VIII Löwe)

It was to weigh 90 tonnes, had 120 mm frontal armor, a center-mounted turret, a 105 mm L/70 high velocity gun, and a coaxial machine gun, while still managing a top speed 23 km/h. After redesign it had 140 mm frontal armor, 88 mm KwK L/71 gun, top speed 35 km/h.

The WoT version features 120mm armor, the 105mm KW.K L/70 gun and the top speed of the original.

Vehicle Camouflage

Camouflage absolutely, positively sucks on the Löwe. Since it literally prints silver there's no reason not to be running permanent camouflage for all map types. Having vehicle camouflage significantly increases your camouflage values for stationary (3.82 » 5.82) and mobile (1.94 » 3.94) and is roughly equivalent to a 61% trained Camo skill.

Skills and Perks

I've worked out a roadmap for the first 12 skills and perks that one should focus on, with a few options along the way.

• Tier 1: Brothers In Arms, Sixth Sense, Snap Shot, Repairs (in this order)

• Tier 2: Smooth Ride, Off-Roading Driving, Recon, Track Mechanic

• Tier 3: Situational Awareness, Deadeye, Preventative Maintenance, Jack of All Trades

Options for Tier 1/2: SGT Rock 1963 suggested (and I concur) that from a survivability standpoint, Jack of All Trades is something you may want to consider relegating to a higher priority depending on your play style (it will allow you to lose 1-2 crew members before having a detrimental effect on tank operation).

Options for Tier 3: Camouflage and Silent Driving for stealthy play and Controlled Impact for close quarters (combine with the Super Heavy Spall Liner for amused looks from your opponents!)

Tiers 1-2 should be fairly self explanatory. The Löwe has the second most accurate gun in the game, and this should be augmented wherever possible (Snap Shot and Smooth Ride, as it improves accuracy and aim time when you come to a stop). Recon gives you a 2% range boost and offsets damage to your viewport. The Löwe will get tracked. Often. And with a lengthy reload time you don't want to be caught out in the open for any longer than you have to, so having Track Mechanic accelerate repairs is essential. The Löwe is abysmally slow, unfortunately - so Off-Road Driving is going to be key on most maps for just about everything.

Tier 3 really comes down to personal preference and playing style, hence the options. The two I would absolutely insist on are Situational Awareness to fully extend your range and Deadeye to increase the likelihood of critical hits by 3%. Camouflage and Silent Driving can have an impact on a lot of maps by making it harder for detection, and these will lend themselves to a sniping role.

Potentially Useful Skills for the Löwe

• Designated Target: Makes targeted enemy vehicles visible for +2s to you and allies. The Löwe has excellent potential for spotting (particularly with Optics), so in a support role this is very beneficial.

• Eagle Eye: Identifies critical enemy tank damage after a 4s delay. This is helpful to not only identify potential weak spots on the target, but how you can use any damaged modules or incapacitated crew on enemy tanks to your advantage by allowing you to modify your tactics. Persistent damaged components may also indicate that your opponent has run out of repair kits.

Less Useful Skills for the Löwe

There are numerous candidates, but here are some less obvious ones:

• Clutch Braking (only translates to a ~1.4% vehicle rotation gain and is hardly noticeable). You gain almost as much from Brothers in Arms and Improved Ventilation (not to mention Chocolate). In theory having all could make a slight difference in rare circumstances (where a smaller enemy is attempting to outmaneuver you).

• Safe Stowage: This increases your ammo rack hit points by 12.5%, so it goes from 250 to 281.25. It's fairly rare to get an ammo rack explosion, so it's debatable whether the extra 31.25 hit points will make a difference (particularly if you leave your ammo rack damaged). This can be boosted to 421.875 hit points with the Wet Ammo Rack, but I can't see the justification for the loss of another key equipment slot.

• Green Thumb and Muffled Shot: Green Thumb won't work in urban maps and is ineffective if you're not in foliage. Camouflage values are horrible after firing regardless, so you're better off training the regular Camouflage and Silent Driving skills for permanent stealthy reductions.

Equipment

The essential equipment for your Löwe is basically Gun Rammer, Vertical Stabilizers and Improved Ventilation. You can tweak this to some extent, but you will ideally want 2/3 of the aforementioned modules. If you opt for a more stealthy role, swap-out Gun Rammer or Improved Ventilation for Optics. If you find you need more survivability, swap out Gun Rammer for the Super Heavy Spall Liner.

The Super Heavy Spall Liner combined with Pain Tolerance drastically reduces the chance of crew hits (»60%) to the point where you don't need to run first aid kits. If you run Jack of All Trades the commander can occasionally substitute for crew as needed. When combined with Controlled Impact tanks this gives you a ramming option for close quarters (and will ensure heavy damage to those who attempt to ram you). And it does reduce artillery damage by ~10% as a side bonus.

Optics will give you a +10% viewing range boost, and combined with Improved Ventilation, Chocolate and all relevant skills (Brothers in Arms, Recon, Situational Awareness) will extend your viewing range almost to the maximum 500m. I've found that Optics can be more advantageous over Gun Rammer, since I'm still receiving a net +2.5% reduction in reload times as well as the boost to other stats (viewing range, repairs, maneuverability, etc.) More often than not the ~0.5s difference in reload times is negligible when on the battlefield, and as the Löwe really can't out-brawl anything - if you find yourself in that situation you're often screwed anyway (since enemy DPS will almost always exceed that of the Löwe). 

Useless Equipment Options for the Löwe

Binoculars and Camouflage Net. Aside from the static requirements to work, they render you immobile (read: target) and can be matched with equipment (Optics), supplies (Chocolate) and skills (Brothers in Arms, Recon and Situational Awareness). And with a target as large (and tempting) as the Löwe, you rarely want to be stationary anywhere artillery might find you.

Ammunition

The Kw.K L/70 is an excellent gun, and you're going to fare well with standard AP rounds against the vast majority of Tier VI-IX opponents. For Tier X enemies (and ones with sloped or spaced armor) the 105mm rounds may have trouble penetrating, so a good selection of APCR is recommended. I also utilize a dozen or so HE rounds because if you find yourself in a situation where you can't pen with AP or APCR - you can usually cause some nuisance and critical damage with HE. The Löwe carriers a lot of ammunition, so my breakdown is usually 40x AP, 30x APCR and 10x HE.

Supplies

This is where everything gets tied together. The Löwe is a Premium tank, and as such - it should be run with either Chocolate or 105-Octane, a Large Repair Kit and Large or Small First Aid Kit (I prefer a Large First Aid Kit for the passive 30% crew protection and then just try not to use it so it carries over). If you're also running the Super Heavy Spall Liner, Pain Tolerance and Jack of All Trades you have a »60% crew protection and don't really need the Large First Aid Kit - and can substitute a Small Repair Kit instead.

The Large Repair Kit gives you another +10% to repair times, which when combined with Chocolate and the other equipment and skills really accelerates repairs. A second Small Repair Kit augments the passive repair boost with the option to repair a single damaged module. Alternately, the latest update now lets you run two Small Repair Kits - and sometimes this is just as effective as a large and a small.

These consumables will require an initial outlay of 60k, but you'll often only use 23k for the Chocolate or 105-Octane and a Small Repair Kit. Considering average matches yield in excess of 80k silver, you'll still be running net gains even after ammunition and repair costs. Really good games (especially with Premium time) can see well in excess of 120k silver.

Useless Supplies for the Löwe

100 Octane and Manual or Automatic Fire Extinguishers. You can obtain roughly the equivalent of 100 or even 105 Octane with a combination of Off-Road Driving, Brothers in Arms, Improved Ventilation and Chocolate. If you absolutely, positively need the performance (often you don't) - swap out Chocolate for 105 Octane (it's only 15k more silver and provides a noticeable difference over 100 Octane).

The Löwe has a 20% fire chance, so Preventative Maintenance/Firefighting will reduce this to 15% and 13.5%, respectively. Firefighting is particularly useful as it also reduces the change of fire, length and amount of fire damage.

Metrics

Here are a few important metrics with respect to the Löwe, and two handy links to help you fine-tune your own build.

http://www.tanknumbe...r.php?tank=Lowe

http://www.wotinfo.n...camo-calculator

Base Reload: 11.51s

+Gun Rammer: 10.36s ... +Brothers in Arms: 10.13s

+Improved Ventilation: 9.91s ... +Chocolate: 9.5s

Base Camouflage: 3.82/1.94/0.76

+Vehicle camouflage: 5.82/3.94/1.16 ... +Camo Skill: 8.93/5.52/1.78

+Vents and Brothers in Arms: 9.24/5.68/1.84 ... +Chocolate: 9.55/5.84/1.90

+Silent Driving and Muffled Shot: 9.55/7.70/2.38

Even though camouflage on the Löwe is not ideal, every improvement makes it harder to detect you at longer ranges while moving and firing. Vehicle camouflage is the most important upgrade you can make.

Base View Range: 400m

+Brothers in Arms: 408.57 ...+Recon and Situational Awareness: 429.25m

+Improved Ventilation: 438.25m ... +Coated Optics: 482.08m ... +Chocolate: 501.89m

Maximum effective viewing range is capped @445m, so having anything in excess of this simple allows you to 'cut through' and reduce the effectiveness of enemy Camouflage. By using the wotinfo.net Camo Values Calculator you can substitute various enemy tanks to see how your equipment, skills and consumables affect spotting ranges.

Base Hull Traverse: 25.03°/sec

+Brothers in Arms: 25.59°/sec ... +Improved Ventilation: 26.16°/sec

+Clutch Braking: 27.47°/sec ...+Chocolate: 28.66°/sec

HP/t on Terrain: 8.13 hard / 6.48 average / 4.05 soft

+Brothers in Arms: 8.32/6.63/4.14 ... +Improved Ventilation: 8.48/6.76/4.22

+Off-Road Driving: 8.48/6.93/4.69 ... +Chocolate: 8.85/7.23/4.89

+100-Octane: 9.29/7.6/5.14 ... +105-Octane: 9.75/7.96/5.38

Use of the Superheavy Spall Liner adds 1.5t of weight (most equipment only adds 0.1-0.2t), so the Löwe may be a bit more sluggish without equipment like Improved Ventilation, the Off-Road Driving skill or consumables like 100/105-Octane or Chocolate.

Personal Observations with the Löwe:

• It seems to attract artillery like the plague. In excess of 1/3 of my deaths (probably closer to 50%) in the Löwe have been at the hands of artillery. Hence my love of the Super Heavy Spall Liner. Unwanted attention also seems to gravitate towards it in higher tier matches, but take both observations with a grain of salt.

• In top tier matches the Löwe is a force to be reckoned with. In the hands of a skilled or experienced player, it will absolutely wreak havoc amongst victims (particularly with premium APCR ammunition). It can and will hold its own against many Tier IX tanks, and one of my proudest accomplishment is taking out an E-75 in a one-on-one slugfest. Tier X tanks are the bane of the Löwe, and it's advised to hang back in a support role because it just doesn't have the armor capability to avoid pens.

ABSO BRILL ARTICLE,MANY THANKS!!!!

ushuaia ice #32 Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14286 battles
  • [BULL4]
Any of you guys notice that the Lowe has become more prone to being Ammo racked since 3.5 update,Also i agree very good article above:honoring:

Greywoolfe64 #33 Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14811 battles
  • [27PZR]
yes, and the pen on the gun seems to have been nerfed at range- I had a lot of trouble penning tier VIII's at 200m and above which should not happen, and as for tier IX's, forget it. This tank will need a buff now to even handle PMM. A shame, as I have some premium time I wanted to use to get to learn the tank more, but it's such a trial it's putting me off.

"Some say that he dines on lower glacis, and that he once spent three weeks hiding in a thick French bush. All we know is, he's called the Stug!"

Current garage (MOE's marked with star*) -click spoiler.

Spoiler

Iron Lord 2014 #34 Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 5329 battles
  • [Q-STN]

I got this tank and I will have to say impressive turret armour but weak chassis armour so if you want to use it properly, hide the body but leave the turret exposed. Shot will bounce of and it will be like throwing feathers at a brick wall.

Unless your up against Tier X so if that happens, hide, if you are found.

KISS YOUR CHASSIS GOODBYE:hiding:

Edited by Iron Lord 2014, 22 February 2017 - 08:41 PM.

TonyTrapLORD #35 Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

Private

• Players
  • 9683 battles
  • [FAME]
Is there a guide for the Borsig???

RabidSasquatch0 #36 Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:50 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 17606 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostTonyTrapLORD, on 27 February 2017 - 03:22 AM, said:

Is there a guide for the Borsig???

sit in bush.

Shoot.

Win.

Mrbund #37 Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 21567 battles

This tank needs an engine power buff. 300 HP minimum.

yes, follow around the bulk of your team's force, but if you can't keep up, WTH do you do?  

It's another lame premium tank in WoT. Someone needs to fix these premiums. Not worth a cent.

Tight_Fade9 #38 Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3340 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostMrbund, on 17 March 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

This tank needs an engine power buff. 300 HP minimum.

yes, follow around the bulk of your team's force, but if you can't keep up, WTH do you do?  

It's another lame premium tank in WoT. Someone needs to fix these premiums. Not worth a cent.

Well it surely needs an armor buff. At least a small amount. I've had Tier 8 mediums rip through in a few shots. I agree though that with an engine buff it may help negate some of the sever issues with the lack of armor

McBrecht #39 Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 19481 battles
  • [OFL]

Hello 

The Löwe is a great Heavy Tank, i have ober 900 Battles on him, but a small Buff would do him good.

Speed, Reload or Alpha DMG from 320 - >  390 :) 

Cya McBrecht 

rick007cmx1 #40 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 53215 battles

View PostMcBrecht, on 13 April 2017 - 01:22 AM, said:

Hello 

The Löwe is a great Heavy Tank, i have ober 900 Battles on him, but a small Buff would do him good.

Speed, Reload or Alpha DMG from 320 - >  390 :) 

Cya McBrecht 

Yea I am not a fan of heavies but i like this one.

Also tagged with Lowe, Löwe, Lion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users