Guide to the Ru 251 by Turkey

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

The Turkey Tank #1 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:14 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

Turkey’s Guide to the Ru 251

Alright so this will now be my second light tank guide that I’ve done and I must say it is for one of my favorites as well. The Ru 251 is just a blast to play because in my eyes it is just a smaller, more mobile medium tank. Now let’s begin.

Historical Background

The vehicle was developed on the basis of the Kanonenjagdpanzer 4-5 tank destroyer by the Henschel company in 1964. The tank was planned to replace the obsolete M41 Walker Bulldog vehicles used by the reconnaissance battalions of the armored divisions in the German Army. The tank never saw mass production, but some technical innovations were applied later in the development of other vehicles. The total number of prototypes built is unknown.

Basic Statistics of the Ru 251

Tier 8 light tank matched up as tier 9 medium

1200 Hit Points

Max Weight of 28 tons

Crew consists of 4 members

1.      Commander/radio operator

2.       Gunner

3.       Driver

4.       Loader

Engine power of 630 horsepower

Speed limit of 80km/h forwards and 24km/h in reverse

Traverse speed of 44 degrees per second

Power to weight ratio of 24.58hp/t

Armor Profile

1.       Hull: 25/20/8mm

2.       Turret: 20/20/20mm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Shell Types include AP/HEAT/HEP

Shell Prices are 330/4000/350

Damage caused by each shell 240/240/320

Penetration Values for each shell 190/250/102

Rate of Fire is 9.68r/m

DPM of 2424 with only a 100% crew

DPM of 2937 with all equipment and 100% crew

Accuracy of 0.36

Aim time of 2.1 seconds

Turret traverse of 44 degrees per second

360-degree gun traverse

-10 degrees of gun depression/+18 degrees of gun elevation

Holds 41 rounds of ammo

12% chance of fire

400m view range without equipment or skills

Pros

Fastest tank in the game with the best power to weight ratio in its class and tier

Extremely high damage per minute

Fairly good aim time and good dispersion values

Ability to use high penetration HEP rounds

Highest AP penetration of all light tanks

Very high penetration on its HEAT rounds for a light tank

Cons

Basically no armor, so anything that hits will pen including HE rounds

Relatively larger profile than most other light tanks which comes along with a sluggish traverse speed so avoid turning multiple times or quickly

Gun depression of -10 degrees is only over the sides of the tank                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    slow velocity on the AP rounds which can make leading targets tricky trust me                                          

Equipment and Consumables

So, for my Ru I like to run the equipment loadout of a gun rammer, coated optics, and vertical stabilizers to make it into medium/light tank hybrid of sorts. The way I play the Ru is as a damage dealer with the benefits of a light tank such as the camo on the move. This is also the reason why I don’t run the passive scout loadout of binos and a camo net as I find myself constantly moving to different positions to put shots in, however I don’t necessarily play it as an active like I do my LTTB. Then there are the consumables where I choose to use a repair kit, first aid kit, and chocolate. Now you could run an automatic fire extinguisher instead of the first aid kit, but for some reason I prefer the other setup just because when HE pens me I seem to lose crew member to often for my preferences. Finally, there is the ammo loadout of 41 rounds where I run 23 AP rounds, 15 HEAT rounds, and 3 HEP rounds. Now I know some folks will want to use more HEP rounds and that’s fine, but I personally just find that I prefer carrying more of the reliable rounds that have much better penetration. I just don’t like the idea of being in a clutch situation at the end of game where the majority of my ammo has only 102 penetration which is not reliable in the slightest. I’d say the max amount of HEP rounds that I would ever be comfortable carrying would be around 5 or 6, but if can carry more and make it work, well props to you.

How I Play the Ru 251

Like I said before I play it as a medium with the benefits of a light. So, generally depending on the map I’ll go to an advance position to spot which could be a bush or just an over watch position such as a hill. Once there I’ll usually just hold my fire and let my teammates fire at what I’m spotting and if I get the chance I’ll take shots of opportunity as long as I know that there is little chance that I will be spotted for doing so, otherwise I keep my gun silent. Since if you take any shot in this tank, it is going to penetrate which means you could find yourself dead very quickly just because you got greedy for that one shot of damage. On most maps once the initial spots are finished with, I’ll generally switch to that medium role where I’ll focus on dealing damage with my nasty 90mm cannon. Here I just look for openings in the reds’ lines and flank targets or get to sight lines where I can get ambush shots on the reds. In this situation if I still have my HEP rounds I’ll use them on the rear of tanks such as American or French vehicles if I remember lol. Sometimes I forget in the middle of battles. The biggest thing in this tank is to avoid trading shots at any point in the early to mid-game due to your obvious lack of hit points compared to the vehicles you’ll be encountering.  

Quick Tips

The biggest little tip that I can provide for this tank is always try to point the gun over the sides of the tank as this is where you have the full use of your gun depression thus making you more flexible. So whenever I come around a corner or use a hill, I’m always positioning my tank like this and whatever you do avoid pointing the gun over the rear of the vehicle as you literally have no gun depression over the engine deck.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Next, I’d highly suggest firing HEP rounds at almost all light tanks you encounter in this thing as you will chew them up with crazy dpm, but make sure you pen and don’t hit tracks as you will find yourself in a very bad way quite quickly. Also do not shoot HEP at armored lights such as LTTB, T-54ltwt, and Awful Panther unless you know you can get their rear or sides, but I usually just fire regular rounds at these targets for peace of mind.           

Also avoid getting rammed in this tank at all costs as why it weighs over 25 tons, it has almost no armor and so will not receive hits from other vehicles well at all. So, be careful when maneuvering around enemy vehicles in close quarters.

Crew Skills

The crew skills are pretty much up to the user on what they want first whether its increased gun performance or better scouting ability. After training sixth sense and BIA, I went after a combo of both setups so I switched on and off between the two. That way I got a very balanced crew and tank as I progressed through the training. But, it is up to the user which route to go with or do as I did go for the best of both worlds.

Conclusion

I hope this proves to be useful for some thinking about picking up this German light tank as well as to players who are already experienced in it. If there is anything that you feel I should’ve included, please feel free to tell me and I’ll add it in. Thanks.               

Edited by The Turkey Tank, 21 September 2016 - 09:28 PM.

WN8:3900   Twitch   My Youtube  LTTB Guide  Ru 251 Guide Batchat 25t.

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy General Scout Tips & Tricks

Gregularity #2 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:16 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 6320 battles
  • [_MLG_]
I needed this sooo bad thank you.

"The United Nations will have to sign a binding resolution to keep me from destroying you!" - Les Grossman

The Turkey Tank #3 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:18 AM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostGregularity, on 19 September 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

I needed this sooo bad thank you.

no problem, if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

NightOfDeaths #4 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 27933 battles
  • [KMD]
Thought it had bad traverse.

Screw my elders!!!!

World of Tanks a game where it's 1 versus 29. 15 reds trying to kill you and 14 greens trying to support them. The yellows are your only hope. For signature and stats visit http://wotinfo.net/en/player-stats

2 & 3 MoEs

Gregularity #5 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:23 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 6320 battles
  • [_MLG_]

I'm just not performing where I want to be in it. 2650 WN8 so far is great and all but my 13 90 is at 3500.

I struggle with tier 10 matches a bit. Namely on rugged maps where quickly flying around is not an option. 

"The United Nations will have to sign a binding resolution to keep me from destroying you!" - Les Grossman

The Turkey Tank #6 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:28 AM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostNightOfDeaths, on 19 September 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

Thought it had bad traverse.

knew I forgot something

The Turkey Tank #7 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:38 AM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostGregularity, on 19 September 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

I'm just not performing where I want to be in it. 2650 WN8 so far is great and all but my 13 90 is at 3500.

I struggle with tier 10 matches a bit. Namely on rugged maps where quickly flying around is not an option. 

First, I'd say make smart use of the 250 pen HEAT rounds. Second, on those hilly maps try to use your gun depression effectively as well as look for openings to exploit. But, yeah I actually really like using this tank on hilly maps just because of the depression allows me to do things that the other lights can't except for the T49. Its hard to explain really because what you need is good situational awareness combined with map knowledge on top of knowledge about the tank so I'd suggest maybe looking at Ace's map guide to see where to go on the maps you're struggling on in the Ru 251.

Edited by The Turkey Tank, 20 September 2016 - 02:42 AM.

Gregularity #8 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 6320 battles
  • [_MLG_]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 19 September 2016 - 09:38 PM, said:

First, I'd say make smart use of the 250 pen HEAT rounds. Second, on those hilly maps try to use your gun depression effectively as well as look for openings to exploit. But, yeah I actually really like using this tank on hilly maps just because of the depression allows me to do things that the other lights can't except for the T49. Its hard to explain really because what you need is good situational

It's Ardennes and Typhoon on pacific island that get me... and they seem to pop up disproportionately when in my RU.

I get out spotted against 10s more often than not on those two.

The Turkey Tank #9 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:50 AM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostGregularity, on 19 September 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

It's Ardennes and Typhoon on pacific island that get me... and they seem to pop up disproportionately when in my RU.

I get out spotted against 10s more often than not on those two.

Honestly man, I'm still trying to figure out how to play Ardennes in a light tank period while pacific island I tend to work that center ridgeline, but again this map is just to small for tier ten so you're going to get out spotted a lot unfortunately.

Gregularity #10 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:54 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 6320 battles
  • [_MLG_]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 19 September 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

Honestly man, I'm still trying to figure out how to play Ardennes in a light tank period while pacific island I tend to work that center ridgeline, but again this map is just to small for tier ten so you're going to get out spotted a lot unfortunately.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one then lol. Yea Ardennes is a nightmare for travelling anywhere for anyone really, so it makes glass tanks suffer all the more.

SteampunkPagan #11 Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:14 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 82862 battles
  • [HDC]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 19 September 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

Turkey’s Guide to the Ru 251

Alright so this will now be my second light tank guide that I’ve done and I must say it is for one of my favorites as well. The Ru 251 is just a blast to play because in my eyes it is just a smaller, more mobile medium tank. Now let’s begin.

Historical Background

The vehicle was developed on the basis of the Kanonenjagdpanzer 4-5 tank destroyer by the Henschel company in 1964. The tank was planned to replace the obsolete M41 Walker Bulldog vehicles used by the reconnaissance battalions of the armored divisions in the German Army. The tank never saw mass production, but some technical innovations were applied later in the development of other vehicles. The total number of prototypes built is unknown.

Basic Statistics of the Ru 251

Tier 8 light tank matched up as tier 9 medium

1200 Hit Points

Max Weight of 28 tons

Crew consists of 4 members

1.      Commander/radio operator

2.       Gunner

3.       Driver

4.       Loader

Engine power of 630 horsepower

Speed limit of 80km/h forwards and 24km/h in reverse

Traverse speed of 44 degrees per second

Power to weight ratio of 24.58hp/t

Armor Profile

1.       Hull: 25/20/8mm

2.       Turret: 20/20/20mm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Shell Types include AP/HEAT/HEP

Shell Prices are 330/4000/350

Damage caused by each shell 240/240/320

Penetration Values for each shell 190/250/102

Rate of Fire is 9.68r/m

DPM of 2424 with only a 100% crew

DPM of 2937 with all equipment and 100% crew

Accuracy of 0.36

Aim time of 2.1 seconds

Turret traverse of 44 degrees per second

360-degree gun traverse

-10 degrees of gun depression/+18 degrees of gun elevation

Holds 41 rounds of ammo

12% chance of fire

400m view range without equipment or skills

Pros

Fastest tank in the game with the best power to weight ratio in its class and tier

Extremely high damage per minute

Fairly good aim time and good dispersion values

Ability to use high penetration HEP rounds

Highest AP penetration of all light tanks

Very high penetration on its HEAT rounds for a light tank

Cons

Basically no armor, so anything that hits will pen including HE rounds

Relatively larger profile than most other light tanks which comes along with a sluggish traverse speed so avoid turning multiple times or quickly

Gun depression of -10 degrees is only over the sides of the tank                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    slow velocity on the AP rounds which can make leading targets tricky trust me                                          

Equipment and Consumables

So, for my Ru I like to run the equipment loadout of a gun rammer, coated optics, and vertical stabilizers to make it into medium/light tank hybrid of sorts. The way I play the Ru is as a damage dealer with the benefits of a light tank such as the camo on the move. This is also the reason why I don’t run the passive scout loadout of binos and a camo net as I find myself constantly moving to different positions to put shots in, however I don’t necessarily play it as an active like I do my LTTB. Then there are the consumables where I choose to use a repair kit, first aid kit, and chocolate. Now you could run an automatic fire extinguisher instead of the first aid kit, but for some reason I prefer the other setup just because when HE pens me I seem to lose crew member to often for my preferences. Finally, there is the ammo loadout of 41 rounds where I run 23 AP rounds, 15 HEAT rounds, and 3 HEP rounds. Now I know some folks will want to use more HEP rounds and that’s fine, but I personally just find that I prefer carrying more of the reliable rounds that have much better penetration. I just don’t like the idea of being in a clutch situation at the end of game where the majority of my ammo has only 102 penetration which is not reliable in the slightest. I’d say the max amount of HEP rounds that I would ever be comfortable carrying would be around 5 or 6, but if can carry more and make it work, well props to you.

How I Play the Ru 251

Like I said before I play it as a medium with the benefits of a light. So, generally depending on the map I’ll go to an advance position to spot which could be a bush or just an over watch position such as a hill. Once there I’ll usually just hold my fire and let my teammates fire at what I’m spotting and if I get the chance I’ll take shots of opportunity as long as I know that there is little chance that I will be spotted for doing so, otherwise I keep my gun silent. Since if you take any shot in this tank, it is going to penetrate which means you could find yourself dead very quickly just because you got greedy for that one shot of damage. On most maps once the initial spots are finished with, I’ll generally switch to that medium role where I’ll focus on dealing damage with my nasty 90mm cannon. Here I just look for openings in the reds’ lines and flank targets or get to sight lines where I can get ambush shots on the reds. In this situation if I still have my HEP rounds I’ll use them on the rear of tanks such as American or French vehicles if I remember lol. Sometimes I forget in the middle of battles. The biggest thing in this tank is to avoid trading shots at any point in the early to mid-game due to your obvious lack of hit points compared to the vehicles you’ll be encountering.  

Quick Tips

The biggest little tip that I can provide for this tank is always try to point the gun over the sides of the tank as this is where you have the full use of your gun depression thus making you more flexible. So whenever I come around a corner or use a hill, I’m always positioning my tank like this and whatever you do avoid pointing the gun over the rear of the vehicle as you literally have no gun depression over the engine deck.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Next, I’d highly suggest firing HEP rounds at almost all light tanks you encounter in this thing as you will chew them up with crazy dpm, but make sure you pen and don’t hit tracks as you will find yourself in a very bad way quite quickly. Also do not shoot HEP at armored lights such as LTTB, T-54ltwt, and Awful Panther unless you know you can get their rear or sides, but I usually just fire regular rounds at these targets for peace of mind.           

Also avoid getting rammed in this tank at all costs as why it weighs over 25 tons, it has almost no armor and so will not receive hits from other vehicles well at all. So, be careful when maneuvering around enemy vehicles in close quarters.

Crew Skills

The crew skills are pretty much up to the user on what they want first whether its increased gun performance or better scouting ability. After training sixth sense and BIA, I went after a combo of both setups so I switched on and off between the two. That way I got a very balanced crew and tank as I progressed through the training. But, it is up to the user which route to go with or do as I did go for the best of both worlds.

Conclusion

I hope this proves to be useful for some thinking about picking up this German light tank as well as to players who are already experienced in it. If there is anything that you feel I should’ve included, please feel free to tell me and I’ll add it in. Thanks.               

Thank you!

“Who shot him? I asked. The grey man scratched the back of his neck and said: Somebody with a gun.” ― Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest

"Arrête! C'est ici l'empire de la Mort"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

NightOfDeaths #12 Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 27933 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostSteampunkPagan, on 19 September 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

Thank you!

Could've just said, "Thank you, Turkey!" And not quote the whole thing. Lol

Screw my elders!!!!

World of Tanks a game where it's 1 versus 29. 15 reds trying to kill you and 14 greens trying to support them. The yellows are your only hope. For signature and stats visit http://wotinfo.net/en/player-stats

2 & 3 MoEs

Loki3003 #13 Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:45 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14137 battles
Thanks for the info.  This thread made me pick back up on that line.  Just repurchased the Vk 28.01 a little bit ago.  That RU looks like fun!

swindle 321 #14 Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 32108 battles

Good stuff Turkey :great:

I do like the Ru and I think that it's probably the best tier 8 light, but it still not my favorite, I have too much fun in the T49.

YouTube

The Turkey Tank #15 Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostSteampunkPagan, on 19 September 2016 - 11:14 PM, said:

Thank you!

no problem

The Turkey Tank #16 Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostLoki3003, on 20 September 2016 - 12:45 AM, said:

Thanks for the info. This thread made me pick back up on that line. Just repurchased the Vk 28.01 a little bit ago. That RU looks like fun!

Yeah the Ru is probably my second favorite tier 8 light to play next to the T49.

The Turkey Tank #17 Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View Postswindle 321, on 20 September 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

Good stuff Turkey :great:

I do like the Ru and I think that it's probably the best tier 8 light, but it still not my favorite, I have too much fun in the T49.

Same here, somehow I've managed to rack up over 500 games in the T49

Snorelacks #18 Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23935 battles
  • [BNKR]
Great review and videos. Thanks for putting in the time to write it up.

STLxSTANG #19 Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15113 battles
  • [IMTLS]
Remember to snipe the chai.

Original IMMORTALS Leadership- (Retired)

The Turkey Tank #20 Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostSTLxSTANG, on 20 September 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

Remember to snipe the chai.

You must become one with the chai

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users