79 replies to this topic

The Turkey Tank #61 Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:06 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View Posthanz0r66, on 25 September 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

What are your crew skills?

My skills are sixth sense, BIA, camouflage, recon, muffled shot, designated target, snapshot, situational awareness, and a few others which I can't remember at this time. All in no particular order that I can currently remember except for sixth sense being the first one.

WN8:3900   Twitch   My Youtube  LTTB Guide  Ru 251 Guide Batchat 25t.

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy General Scout Tips & Tricks

hanz0r66 #62 Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:20 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8839 battles
Cool, thanks.

Blaxsun #63 Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4559 battles
This tank looks like it could be a lot of fun. Can't wait to try it out!

The Turkey Tank #64 Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostBlaxsun, on 08 October 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

This tank looks like it could be a lot of fun. Can't wait to try it out!

yeah its a beast once you get a hang of it

trainwreck57 #65 Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:50 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27084 battles
  • [AMX]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 19 September 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

Turkey’s Guide to the Ru 251

Alright so this will now be my second light tank guide that I’ve done and I must say it is for one of my favorites as well. The Ru 251 is just a blast to play because in my eyes it is just a smaller, more mobile medium tank. Now let’s begin.

Historical Background

The vehicle was developed on the basis of the Kanonenjagdpanzer 4-5 tank destroyer by the Henschel company in 1964. The tank was planned to replace the obsolete M41 Walker Bulldog vehicles used by the reconnaissance battalions of the armored divisions in the German Army. The tank never saw mass production, but some technical innovations were applied later in the development of other vehicles. The total number of prototypes built is unknown.

Basic Statistics of the Ru 251

Tier 8 light tank matched up as tier 9 medium

1200 Hit Points

Max Weight of 28 tons

Crew consists of 4 members

1.      Commander/radio operator

2.       Gunner

3.       Driver

4.       Loader

Engine power of 630 horsepower

Speed limit of 80km/h forwards and 24km/h in reverse

Traverse speed of 44 degrees per second

Power to weight ratio of 24.58hp/t

Armor Profile

1.       Hull: 25/20/8mm

2.       Turret: 20/20/20mm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Shell Types include AP/HEAT/HEP

Shell Prices are 330/4000/350

Damage caused by each shell 240/240/320

Penetration Values for each shell 190/250/102

Rate of Fire is 9.68r/m

DPM of 2424 with only a 100% crew

DPM of 2937 with all equipment and 100% crew

Accuracy of 0.36

Aim time of 2.1 seconds

Turret traverse of 44 degrees per second

360-degree gun traverse

-10 degrees of gun depression/+18 degrees of gun elevation

Holds 41 rounds of ammo

12% chance of fire

400m view range without equipment or skills

Pros

Fastest tank in the game with the best power to weight ratio in its class and tier

Extremely high damage per minute

Fairly good aim time and good dispersion values

Ability to use high penetration HEP rounds

Highest AP penetration of all light tanks

Very high penetration on its HEAT rounds for a light tank

Cons

Basically no armor, so anything that hits will pen including HE rounds

Relatively larger profile than most other light tanks which comes along with a sluggish traverse speed so avoid turning multiple times or quickly

Gun depression of -10 degrees is only over the sides of the tank                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    slow velocity on the AP rounds which can make leading targets tricky trust me                                          

Equipment and Consumables

So, for my Ru I like to run the equipment loadout of a gun rammer, coated optics, and vertical stabilizers to make it into medium/light tank hybrid of sorts. The way I play the Ru is as a damage dealer with the benefits of a light tank such as the camo on the move. This is also the reason why I don’t run the passive scout loadout of binos and a camo net as I find myself constantly moving to different positions to put shots in, however I don’t necessarily play it as an active like I do my LTTB. Then there are the consumables where I choose to use a repair kit, first aid kit, and chocolate. Now you could run an automatic fire extinguisher instead of the first aid kit, but for some reason I prefer the other setup just because when HE pens me I seem to lose crew member to often for my preferences. Finally, there is the ammo loadout of 41 rounds where I run 23 AP rounds, 15 HEAT rounds, and 3 HEP rounds. Now I know some folks will want to use more HEP rounds and that’s fine, but I personally just find that I prefer carrying more of the reliable rounds that have much better penetration. I just don’t like the idea of being in a clutch situation at the end of game where the majority of my ammo has only 102 penetration which is not reliable in the slightest. I’d say the max amount of HEP rounds that I would ever be comfortable carrying would be around 5 or 6, but if can carry more and make it work, well props to you.

How I Play the Ru 251

Like I said before I play it as a medium with the benefits of a light. So, generally depending on the map I’ll go to an advance position to spot which could be a bush or just an over watch position such as a hill. Once there I’ll usually just hold my fire and let my teammates fire at what I’m spotting and if I get the chance I’ll take shots of opportunity as long as I know that there is little chance that I will be spotted for doing so, otherwise I keep my gun silent. Since if you take any shot in this tank, it is going to penetrate which means you could find yourself dead very quickly just because you got greedy for that one shot of damage. On most maps once the initial spots are finished with, I’ll generally switch to that medium role where I’ll focus on dealing damage with my nasty 90mm cannon. Here I just look for openings in the reds’ lines and flank targets or get to sight lines where I can get ambush shots on the reds. In this situation if I still have my HEP rounds I’ll use them on the rear of tanks such as American or French vehicles if I remember lol. Sometimes I forget in the middle of battles. The biggest thing in this tank is to avoid trading shots at any point in the early to mid-game due to your obvious lack of hit points compared to the vehicles you’ll be encountering.  

Quick Tips

The biggest little tip that I can provide for this tank is always try to point the gun over the sides of the tank as this is where you have the full use of your gun depression thus making you more flexible. So whenever I come around a corner or use a hill, I’m always positioning my tank like this and whatever you do avoid pointing the gun over the rear of the vehicle as you literally have no gun depression over the engine deck.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Next, I’d highly suggest firing HEP rounds at almost all light tanks you encounter in this thing as you will chew them up with crazy dpm, but make sure you pen and don’t hit tracks as you will find yourself in a very bad way quite quickly. Also do not shoot HEP at armored lights such as LTTB, T-54ltwt, and Awful Panther unless you know you can get their rear or sides, but I usually just fire regular rounds at these targets for peace of mind.           

Also avoid getting rammed in this tank at all costs as why it weighs over 25 tons, it has almost no armor and so will not receive hits from other vehicles well at all. So, be careful when maneuvering around enemy vehicles in close quarters.

Crew Skills

The crew skills are pretty much up to the user on what they want first whether its increased gun performance or better scouting ability. After training sixth sense and BIA, I went after a combo of both setups so I switched on and off between the two. That way I got a very balanced crew and tank as I progressed through the training. But, it is up to the user which route to go with or do as I did go for the best of both worlds.

Conclusion

I hope this proves to be useful for some thinking about picking up this German light tank as well as to players who are already experienced in it. If there is anything that you feel I should’ve included, please feel free to tell me and I’ll add it in. Thanks.               

I would assume you have 3 marks on the tank? Just curious. It's one of my favorite tanks.

3 MoE on: 121, Aufkl. Panther, Maus, Leopard 1, VK 30.01P, Jagdtiger, AMX 13 90, Ru 251,WZ-132, Leopard PTA, AMX CDC, AMX 50 100, T49Mostly play French or German tanks. WHY IS HIMMELSDORF BLIZZARD A THING

Want a platoon mate? Send me a message, and I might join.

The Turkey Tank #66 Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View Posttrainwreck57, on 11 October 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

I would assume you have 3 marks on the tank? Just curious. It's one of my favorite tanks.

Sure do, even got it up to 100% damage standing a few days ago with the help of a very good game which I was lucky enough to record.

Harry Stamper0 #67 Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3460 battles
Just the kind of comprehensive analysis one would expect from the light tank guru! From this is believe I'll be checking out the 'murican light line, after I pick up the Ru later today!!

Unkempt #68 Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18732 battles
  • [SRT]

Great guide.

Now If I can just get through this SP 1C...

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

The Turkey Tank #69 Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:45 AM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostHarry Stamper0, on 01 November 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

Just the kind of comprehensive analysis one would expect from the light tank guru! From this is believe I'll be checking out the 'murican light line, after I pick up the Ru later today!!

thanks

View PostUnkempt, on 01 November 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Great guide.

Now If I can just get through this SP 1C...

thanks, yeah kinda glad I didn't have to play that tank tbh

Harry Stamper0 #70 Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

Private

• Players
  • 3460 battles
Finally got it today at 2:25 am east coast US. My feel from the first couple of matches, it seems the stock tank is a lil sluggish to be a light...

DamnGunner #71 Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 20579 battles

Great review

I had a blast in my lil' Hamstermobile. 

But this one was not for me!

Others will have better luck.

VoltaicGrunt #72 Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23758 battles
RU 251 NEEDS MORE BULLETS

RU 251 NEEDS MORE BULLETS

Chr15py #73 Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 12741 battles

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 12 October 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

Sure do, even got it up to 100% damage standing a few days ago with the help of a very good game which I was lucky enough to record.

Hi. Thanks for the guide. It's really good and has helped with my grind through it. i actually might keep this one...anyhoo, to my question:

I really struggle playing this on city maps...himmelsdorf is such a pain! Do you have any updates to how to play it on current and the newer maps? On open maps, I love this. Sooooo good at spotting and Staying hidden but would appreciate any more info or advice. 

Thanksnin advance bud. Only just found your YouBoob channel and love the content too. 

Chris

"Per Ardua ad Astra - Through adversity to the stars"

DRAGON ZR0 #74 Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9292 battles
  • [KMD]
quick tip: the Ru has zero gun depression towards the back, so if you're getting chased by a lightweight(like i was), your gun won't be able to hit where ya want.

The ONE TRUE MAHOU SHOUJO KING! don't tell wrath...

there's not of reasons i don't need to not speak english or correctly

El Materdor43 #75 Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27964 battles
  • [HACKS]

I bought the Leopard back yesterday to grind towards the Ru. I'm looking forward to getting it. 

Thanks Turkey for the guide  

Morgotha #76 Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 37965 battles
I absolutely hated this tank the first time I had to play it and now I have to play it again but even more..298k xp worth of utter pain.This tank simply gers out classed by every other light tier nine out there..awful, awful tank. If I had the free experience I would skip this tank in an instance to avoid the agony of this terrible light tank just so I can get my German tech expert back. Piece of junk imo

The Turkey Tank #77 Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Major

• 29018 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostMorgotha, on 21 December 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

I absolutely hated this tank the first time I had to play it and now I have to play it again but even more..298k xp worth of utter pain.This tank simply gers out classed by every other light tier nine out there..awful, awful tank. If I had the free experience I would skip this tank in an instance to avoid the agony of this terrible light tank just so I can get my German tech expert back. Piece of junk imo

its not awful at all lol

Nosnomis #78 Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9992 battles
  • [4LOLZ]
How is it now post patch?

afluffyCAMO #79 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:57 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4334 battles
  • [47R-2]
turky tank great info thanks,  got vk28 back to get ru251,   now what about the sp1 and hawk any info comments on how to handle them, are they simular to ru251 or different tanks,  did anyone keep these tanks, i wont be going further up t/tree as dont have prem acc   cheers camo

BreezyModsGtA #80 Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:02 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3026 battles

View Posttrainwreck57, on 11 October 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

How do you post photos? I’m using an iPhone btw

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users