Chieftain issues

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

fozfactor #261 Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 59014 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 07 December 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

Thats not fair. You arent allowed to use waxed cardboard.

It's all about the hacks dude, I used to do the same to my 4202 turret pre-4.6. ;)

non nobis solum

Funktastic Ed #262 Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

It behaves like a French tank, somewhat like an AMX30B with a better armor.

1- Bad gun behavior at long range, shells are super fast, good accuracy, but absurd tendency to bounce off on supposedely penetrabkle armors, according to red reticula and stats.

2-Weak armor even where it is supposed to be solid, i got pierced many times right on the gun mantlet, or plein front turret, even in a good hull down, you can't rely on your armor.

"Idiots dare everything, that's how you really know they are."

WidowMaker1711 #263 Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:37 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11826 battles
  • [BNKR]

View Postfozfactor, on 07 December 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

It's all about the hacks dude, I used to do the same to my 4202 turret pre-4.6. ;)

By hacks do you mean you are using marine ply??

For Russ and the Allfather

amanwiththree #264 Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 30397 battles

View PostMetalrodent, on 23 December 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

Nice of you to go do some stat checking.

And yes I have barely played it, cause I have horrendous luck in it, even in a good spot all my shots seem to miss or bounce. I want to like it but it seems more trouble than it's worth.

My favourite tank IRL and one I've actually driven is just so poorly represented here it makes me weep.

Any hit on or near the hull, the ammo rack is gone, even when equipped with wet ammo storage & that safe stowage perk.

Peek a boo over ridges and the turret is penned regularly,wiggling of course helps occasionally.

33% win ratio in ,it worst of all my tanks ever.

Open maps, few and far that they are and it's fine I do okay, keeping engagement at least 200m where your cannon can shine, urban maps with the associated pie fights and clutter, I can't seem to hide every weak spot and I suck in it. 

It feels as fragile as the Leopard 1 sometimes.

The turret armour on it was 7 inches * of ballistic shaped high quality kit, just buff the turret, I can live with the hull,just like the Conqueror.

Any hints or tips on playing this tank would be appreciated.

The only time that I see them do well in is in platoons, which is true of many tanks, but I just cant get the hang of it.

Tip top 19 skill heavy tank crew, one of my best.

Edit; Just took it out.14 aimed shots all at weak spots two at the flank of an E4 which failed to pen 2nd shot was HESH; 10 hits 4 penetrations for 1535dmg whilst bouncing one and taking 7 penetrating hits,doing everything I've learned in 29k battles to avoid them.

*Thats what they said.

Edited by amanwiththree, 26 December 2018 - 10:26 PM.

Camping is killing this game

spraynpray34 #265 Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19052 battles

View Postamanwiththree, on 26 December 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

My favourite tank IRL and one I've actually driven is just so poorly represented here it makes me weep.

Any hit on or near the hull, the ammo rack is gone, even when equipped with wet ammo storage & that safe stowage perk. 

Peek a boo over ridges and the turret is penned regularly,wiggling of course helps occasionally.

33% win ratio in ,it worst of all my tanks ever.

Open maps, few and far that they are and it's fine I do okay, keeping engagement at least 200m where your cannon can shine, urban maps with the associated pie fights and clutter, I can't seem to hide every weak spot and I suck in it. 

It feels as fragile as the Leopard 1 sometimes.

The turret armour on it was 7 inches * of ballistic shaped high quality kit, just buff the turret, I can live with the hull,just like the Conqueror.

Any hints or tips on playing this tank would be appreciated.

The only time that I see them do well in is in platoons, which is true of many tanks, but I just cant get the hang of it.

Tip top 19 skill heavy tank crew, one of my best.

Edit; Just took it out.14 aimed shots all at weak spots two at the flank of an E4 which failed to pen 2nd shot was HESH; 10 hits 4 penetrations for 1535dmg whilst bouncing one and taking 7 penetrating hits,doing everything I've learned in 29k battles to avoid them.

*Thats what they said.

Yeah these are all legitimate issues tbf. The troll gun hurts most with the choice of apcr or more apcr (which still has the same weakness but may pen a bit more), the bounces are crazy. Super expensive to run as well. 

And yet if the turret was buffed it would be too similar to the Super Conq (I guess). 

If the speed were buffed buffed it would potentially be an OP medium. 

I think it needs better ammo maybe heat prem rounds with 340 pen. Or.. a slight alpha buff to 420  as I find it rolls sub 400 a lot. 

Dont mind ammo rack issue. Brit tanks are notorious for it. 

Koncorde #266 Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24905 battles

View PostFunktastic Ed, on 08 December 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

It behaves like a French tank, somewhat like an AMX30B with a better armor.

1- Bad gun behavior at long range, shells are super fast, good accuracy, but absurd tendency to bounce off on supposedely penetrabkle armors, according to red reticula and stats.

2-Weak armor even where it is supposed to be solid, i got pierced many times right on the gun mantlet, or plein front turret, even in a good hull down, you can't rely on your armor.

From what I can tell, the issue with the higher velocity Brit guns is the flat trajectory. It means that they always tend to fly flat and hit the enemy armour at exactly the angle the enemy intends.

In contrast, those guns with slight arcs in their rounds often come on over the top of any such angle and land on flat pieces, or their guns are so large as to overmatch.

This also means that if the enemy is moving, the auto adjust done by the game to calculate where your shot was intended to go gets all kinds of confused.

I tested this on a ridge line fight once. And with a Maus that was absolutely flush side on if I aimed high my shot would just land flush like a laser and bounce off the turret side each time. If I aimed low, the shot would actually drift up and hit the fat side plate at a more oblique angle. Any lower, and the shot started to do a weird drop shot effect as if it didn't understand what I was aiming at.

The wiki for PC version says that APCR has the highest drop off at range, apart from when APCR is standard ammunition but something doesn't feel right.

On a penetration point by the way:

When looking at the packages the gun says pen of 270 for stock ammo. When looking at tank inspector the module details for the gun says 240. The FV215B / Super Conqs / Tortoise meanwhile drops from 259 to 235.

What is the tank module inspector telling me?

spraynpray34 #267 Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19052 battles
I think it’s near penetration on tank inspector which is the total average pen for all three shell types

mockney_piers #268 Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10012 battles
  • [FILTH]

near pen is an utterly useless stat.

Armorinspector has standard APCR pen as 270 at 100m and 245 at 500m

the prammo at 310 and 270 respectively

Godroyah2000 #269 Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:20 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles
I just wish it was more consistently mobile. I get it’s not supposed to be an armored brute like the S.Conq. but then it really isn’t any more mobile either. The ROF is nice but let’s be real; 11mm more pen and 0.01 accuracy buff over the Conqueror gun isn’t exactly game changing. Add to the fact that it’s armor profile is significantly worse and really the Chieftain feels more like a stat trade instead of an upgrade. It’s like a tier 10 version of the French Rev., which is weird because I love my Rev (which is even more paper with far worse pen and ROF) and yet the Chieftain is just frustrating. I’ll take the worse armor if it was just able to relocate better; right now though the standard Conqueror a tier lower is scarier to run into than a Chieftain.

TsprinTs #270 Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38452 battles
Chieftain needs more poweeful engine so it can maintain its speed.  Otherwise why not just play the SC.

Godroyah2000 #271 Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:45 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles

View PostTsprinTs, on 08 May 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

Chieftain needs more poweeful engine so it can maintain its speed.  Otherwise why not just play the SC.

EXACTLY. It doesn’t need to be a juggernaut or a speed demon, but it’s barely more mobile than the SC currently. It just needs a hp/ton and ground resistance buff so it can accelerate and hold its speed better so it can:

A. Actually get to a decent position in time for the opening of hostilities.

B. Relocate itself to better positions, work ridgelines, and actually get out of Dodge when things go south.

Right now it barely gets anywhere faster than the Super Conq does, which means it’s value as a support vehicle is rather poor unless it happens to find itself in an ideal situation. It can’t afford to be close to the front like a heavy, but neither can it fill a medium support role. It’s got a good gun, and that’s about it. The M48 does exactly what the Chieftain does but better because, even for a slow medium, it’s mobility is still way better with a solid turret and great gun handling + ROF. Make the Chieftain a little more mobile and then maybe it actually becomes an equivalent.

RF YIN #272 Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16009 battles

View PostZOMBEH PIGLET, on 23 December 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

I love my Chieftain, but it has some issues. Playing this tank as a sniper can be effective as the hull armor is thin but the turret can be as well. I've been in hull down locations and being repeatedly penatrated in the turret. 

I think an increase in turret armor would be needed and possibly increase in hull armor to 120. This would be similar to a tier 10 conqueror. 

the chieftain is perfect as it is lol, just like he said it’s the player not the tank, how can you complain 400alpha at 6.5 reload

Godroyah2000 #273 Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:24 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles

View PostRF YIN, on 13 August 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

the chieftain is perfect as it is lol, just like he said it’s the player not the tank, how can you complain 400alpha at 6.5 reload

I suggest you go ask the Tortoise the same question; I’m sure that tank could tell you all day long how useful the best DPM in the game is when you’re less mobile than an elephant made of concrete and your armor barely holds up.That rate of fire doesn’t mean diddly if you’re trading 1 for 1 at best and can’t even relocate.

Jb6534 #274 Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:31 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 33349 battles
Dont get me wrong, I think the chieftain is a really good tank, it's gun handling, turret armour(when used properly) and view range are phenomenally good for a heavy. Where I think it lacks is in its mobility, it doesn't have the complete armour of a heavy for its mobility. It isn't bad mobility, it just doesn't suit the tanks armour or profile to have speed that poor. Sure if you want to keep it realistic you'd keep the Leyland L60 but there isn't much in this game which can be classed as "realistic" so why does the chieftain get special treatment in this regard. All I would like to see on this tank is a better engine so that it can actually reach and maintain its top speed more reliably. Even an upgrade package to something like the rolls Royce griffon for example would do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users