Why I believe all tier 3 (and maybe tier 4) tanks should have PMM.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

vampyrii #1 Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 8744 battles

So, Tier 3 tanks have such bad HP scaling and can easily die within 2 hits from Tier 5 tanks. The O-I Exp and BDGR can even one-shot Tier 3 tanks. (The O-I Exp can almost one shot Tier 3 tanks even with a min roll). Then there's all those derp guns which will also one-shot Tier 3 tanks if they fully pen. This means that if a Tier 3 tank pokes out from behind hard cover for even half a second, it can go from full health to dead if 1 or 2 Tier 5 tanks are preaimed. It's pretty frustrating for even good players to go the whole game in fear or being one-shot even when you're at 100% health. If you're brand-new to the game.... ugh.

For example, If I am driving stock Tier 9 tanks and I definitely prefer stock Tier 9 tanks over playing Tier 3. I mean, maybe you need to load more APCR and maybe your turret armor is less than it should be and your engine is slower than it should be, but these are things that you can deal with. Ok, say I messed up and didn't realize my stock turret wouldn't block that shot from a TD... ouch, it hurt, but I still have 50 or 75% of my health usually. I can still play the game and for the most part my strategy is still the same (shoot stuff, if feasible try not to take damage in return). Tier 3 tanks just can't afford to take hits from Tier 5 tanks like, at all, even when they're at full health. When you do, if you're not dead, losing 75% of you health in one shot will affect your strategy the rest of the game because now everything can one-shot you.

In addition, quite a few Tier 3 tanks just can't pen Tier 5 heavies, even in their rear! A lot of new players get discouraged and stop playing the game at that tier because of how brutal it can be. It can be argued that this is a good thing or a bad thing that new players quit at that tier never to play again, but most people would agree that Tier 3 tanks should never see Tier 5.

Its one thing that I really wish WG would address, not only because it drives away new players but because there are some rather iconic tanks in the low tiers and it would be kinda fun if those tiers weren't complete trash so you could play them without slitting your wrists.

All tier 3 vehicle need PMM (+/- 1 tier). Tier vehicles can't fight this O-I Exp or KV-1. Is not fair for tier 3 vehicles.

When I started playing, I could not understand, why WG would not give PMM for tier 3 vehicles on console and on PC. Later I came to the conclusion that, WG doesn't care because it doesn't make them money. Sure the disparity between Tier III and V is disgusting, but all a Tier III vehicle can do is scout, harass, and distract before getting blown away in one or two hits and doing those things doesn't get you much in the way of experience unless you're good at it and know what you're doing, but most new players don't, they don't know how the game works, they don't understand the mechanics, and they'll probably get frustrated and uninstall. Or, they'll wallet warrior it, pay their way to a higher Tier because they think it'll be more fun only to find out they do just as badly and that all their teammates are a-holes about how little these new players know about the game. And WG doesn't care, they made their money so they have no incentive to change the business model. Going in and tweaking those lower tier tanks to balance it out and make things more competitive and enjoyable costs them money. Not only because they have to pay employees to do that work but because they'll also lose out on all those wallet warriors.

Perhaps thousands of potential players have quit WoT prematurely due to tier 3 MM and balance. This game will eventually die not because of unbalanced tier X TDs but because not enough attention is paid to the lower tiers. It should have been: tier 1 sandbox, play only with tier 1. From 2 to 4 max +1 MM. Then tier 5 and above should get +2.

Of course a fair re-balance, changes and adjustments must happen in many tanks for this to be implemented.

PS

TL;DR, there is no TL;DR time to grow up.

My threads: Just found the forums? New to WoT? Read me.|| Real world locations for the maps.|| How to find your WN8: Read the OP first.
Map guide for Port and Live Oaks || Must read thread by XxDAFFYxxDUCKxX || Opinion: Tier 3&4 should have PMM.|| Matchmaker Explained (WG Official)..

Garage:
The key virtues in WoT are patience and caution, paired with the right amount of pushing aggressively at the proper moment.

SteampunkPagan #2 Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 70547 battles
  • [HDC]

Hello,

I must say you make a very compelling argument however some tanks that I feel would have to be dramatically changed to make this so would be the British Tier III Cruiser II with that Derp, American Tier IV T-40 and the Matilda at Tier IV all three of those are very capable tanks at +/- 2 when played by even a poor player like myself in the hands of skilled players they are down right nasty beast even when down two. I would buy into the Tier III argument just not Tier IV yet. Again you make some great points and a solid argument.

“Who shot him? I asked. The grey man scratched the back of his neck and said: Somebody with a gun.” ― Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest

"Arrête! C'est ici l'empire de la Mort"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

NightOfDeaths #3 Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23314 battles
  • [KMD]

Yeah, but at tier ten, TDs will take half the health of tier 8s and 9s! That is a huge problem! 

This is what happens when you don't read :trollface: ^

Screw my elders!!!!

World of Tanks a game where it's 1 versus 29. 15 reds trying to kill you and 14 greens trying to support them. The yellows are your only hope. For signature and stats visit http://wotinfo.net/en/player-stats

2 & 3 MoEs

Shockwave IIC #4 Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 11342 battles
  • [47R]
I was thinking something similar about Tier 3 (More about people clubbing to be honest) and people were wondering in the other thread why only 29% of people who have installed the game made it past tier 3

Chaffee ***, M10 Wolverine ***, Fury **, Easy 8 **, M6 **, T29 **, T71 **, T69 **, T150 ***, VK30.01D III III III, VK30.02D III III,

Signature by METALHELLIONx84 http://forum-console...our-average-joe

Joco3000 #5 Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 21856 battles

View PostSteampunkPagan, on 22 January 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Hello,

I must say you make a very compelling argument however some tanks that I feel would have to be dramatically changed to make this so would be the British Tier III Cruiser II with that Derp, American Tier IV T-40 and the Matilda at Tier IV all three of those are very capable tanks at +/- 2 when played by even a poor player like myself in the hands of skilled players they are down right nasty beast even when down two. I would buy into the Tier III argument just not Tier IV yet. Again you make some great points and a solid argument.

Statistics that I've seen state that tier IV has the highest population drop in the game due to its challenge.

I'd say that's sufficient reason to also include tier IV.

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

Rusted Rails #6 Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9478 battles

I don't have the statistics, only tons of game experience at tiers 3 and 4 and with the exception of the Sexton1 and several TD's in Tier 4, they all need PMM.

And the Matilda..it can compete at Tier 6, sometimes.

Edited by Rusted Rails, 22 January 2017 - 04:16 PM.

SGT Rock 1963 #7 Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 12472 battles
  • [-OFF-]
Tell that to the Mrs. Pz.ll.J. She will love you, Longtime.......

QuickyBaby said, "Going to place another tactical shot into that rock, Just there."

SkillfulTurtl3 #8 Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21760 battles

Tend to agree.... quite a lot of Tier 4 struggle against 6, and unlikely the newer player has enough silver to use premium shells.

ThunderChickenX #9 Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12857 battles
  • [TRB]
I've always thought this, the power difference from tier 3-5/4-6 is greater than any other tier. Plus generally people will be running poor crews at those tiers, which does not help the issue of being 1-2 shot without ever knowing you're spotted/spotting your attacker.

"Trying is the first step toward failure." - Homer Simpson

I don't upload much, if ever: www.youtube.com/channel/UCu-MJIN-3uT6m-B3LhHj6

For Those Who Care Spoiler

CodenameGunther #10 Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21120 battles
  • [-P-]
Warships has preferential mm up for t2-4. It has kind of wrecked pvp for t5/6 ships which used to be supremely popular. 

http://wotinfo.net/e...8540&server=PS4

PS4 "Reroll" ^

Professional Thread Killer

UndampedGrill #11 Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 42 battles
Who are you again? Ignored. 

Doctor_Who_22 #12 Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10205 battles
  • [-WHO-]
Uh....no.

That's not a good idea...although the Locust and Pz S35 739f would LOVE having PMM.

"Betty" is my Hellcat, and she's an amazing beast!!   I play for fun, not for stats..... but I always play to WIN!!

DustyHooves #13 Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22753 battles

View PostRusted Rails, on 22 January 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

I don't have the statistics, only tons of game experience at tiers 3 and 4 and with the exception of the Sexton1 and several TD's in Tier 4, they all need PMM.

And the Matilda..it can compete at Tier 6, sometimes.

The Matilda used to be able to compete. But the Japanese heavies at tier 5 & 6 easily 2 shot it. Like it has no armor at all. And if you roll around a corner and have the bad luck to come face to face with one, you have 0 chance of running away. You might as well close you eyes and drop the controller at that point.

TL;DR
The Matilda is also a victim of power creep.

Rusted Rails #14 Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9478 battles

View PostDustyHooves, on 22 January 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

The Matilda used to be able to compete. But the Japanese heavies at tier 5 & 6 easily 2 shot it. Like it has no armor at all. And if you roll around a corner and have the bad luck to come face to face with one, you have 0 chance of running away. You might as well close you eyes and drop the controller at that point.

TL;DR
The Matilda is also a victim of power creep.

I play it like a TD mainly, unless top tier and use premium when not sniping. I avoid most heavies, except tier 4's.

MrTrollPacMan #15 Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14719 battles
  • [47R]
Agreed

Wroclaw #16 Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 27181 battles

T2 Light has to face tier 4s with its little pea shooter

some tier 3s can nibble away at the strongest tier 5's - but its usually certain death trying to fight. PMM for tier 3 & 4 would be good

(although if server numbers would allow, it should be for all tiers in the game)

Edited by Wroclaw, 23 January 2017 - 05:36 AM.

Gigab0mb #17 Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33887 battles

View PostThunderChickenX, on 22 January 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

I've always thought this, the power difference from tier 3-5/4-6 is greater than any other tier. Plus generally people will be running poor crews at those tiers, which does not help the issue of being 1-2 shot without ever knowing you're spotted/spotting your attacker.

It's the same if you play a tier 8 TD. The bigger problem is that the penetration of most tier 3s is so poor that there's really no contest, even with some tier 4s.

Buelligan1203 #18 Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8859 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostJoco3000, on 22 January 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

Statistics that I've seen state that tier IV has the highest population drop in the game due to its challenge.

I'd say that's sufficient reason to also include tier IV.

It's all the M3 Lee's fault!

ThunderChickenX #19 Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12857 battles
  • [TRB]

View PostGigab0mb, on 23 January 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

It's the same if you play a tier 8 TD. The bigger problem is that the penetration of most tier 3s is so poor that there's really no contest, even with some tier 4s.

Borsig, ISU, JP II, etc. don't really struggle in tier 10 games; let alone struggle like the 3s and 4s. As you said, hit points aren't the only issue, the firepower and armour disparity is massive as well.

"Trying is the first step toward failure." - Homer Simpson

I don't upload much, if ever: www.youtube.com/channel/UCu-MJIN-3uT6m-B3LhHj6

For Those Who Care Spoiler

xXlAmbitionzlXx #20 Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21798 battles
yeah Give my US sexton one pref MM :) :trollface:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users