Jump to content


Frequency spotting checks


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Xx StayPuff xxX #1 Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:17 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 23333 battles
  • 191
  • Member since:
    04-18-2014

I never cease to learn more about this game and ponder the design.

 

From http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

 

Rate of Visibility Checks

You will not necessarily spot an enemy tank as soon as you have line of sight on it. The rate of visibility checks is limited as follows:

  • within 50 m range - every 0.1 sec
  • within 150 m range - every 0.5 sec
  • within 270 m range - every 1.0 sec
  • within 445 m range - every 2.0 sec

 

Raycasting through a map is not really that of an expensive operations at all nowadays. With some game engines doing this 100 times a second.

Why is the time delay of this so long for a competitive multiplayer game like WOT?

 

This explains the anomalies/indeterminacy of not seeing enemies rush past buildings in city maps.


Edited by Xx StayPuff xxX, 02 March 2017 - 04:20 AM.


Sovietdeath #2 Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:26 AM

    Major

  • WoTC Online Contributor
  • 15357 battles
  • 20,363
  • Member since:
    08-10-2013

View PostXx StayPuff xxX, on 01 March 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

I never cease to learn more about this game and ponder the design.

 

From http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

 

Rate of Visibility Checks

You will not necessarily spot an enemy tank as soon as you have line of sight on it. The rate of visibility checks is limited as follows:

  • within 50 m range - every 0.1 sec
  • within 150 m range - every 0.5 sec
  • within 270 m range - every 1.0 sec
  • within 445 m range - every 2.0 sec

 

Raycasting through a map is not really that of an expensive operations at all nowadays. With some game engines doing this 100 times a second.

Why is the time delay of this so long for a competitive multiplayer game like WOT?

 

This explains the anomalies/indeterminacy of not seeing enemies rush past buildings in city maps.

 

The Frequency of these checks is set so low to mimic the commander spotting and identifying targets manually

VP pupp3tmast3r #3 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19362 battles
  • 732
  • [MDKP]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014
It was low because wotc pasted and copied it from wot pc and they had it so low so as to be able to work on some of the potato pcs that some people have.

"Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die" Lord Tennyson, Charge of The Light Brigade 


Brick S0lid #4 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14262 battles
  • 4,403
  • Member since:
    06-12-2014
Hope they update this. I'm seriously sick of spotting checks where a tank gets spotted around a corner because either really far away or moving fast or both.

Artillery punishes flankers, not campers.

 

3700+Wn8. 100 tanks with 3 MoE including 29 tier X's on my main account.

 


VP pupp3tmast3r #5 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19362 battles
  • 732
  • [MDKP]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostBrick S0lid, on 02 March 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

Hope they update this. I'm seriously sick of spotting checks where a tank gets spotted around a corner because either really far away or moving fast or both.

 

they'll update it with the equivalent console update. So probably 3.6 or 3.7.

"Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die" Lord Tennyson, Charge of The Light Brigade 


FAN47IC #6 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 27377 battles
  • 2,421
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014
Thats the spotting mechanic you want fixed? Not the.. Two tanks are sidescraping. Tank 1 and Tank 2. Tank 1 can somehow see Tank 2, but Tank 2 cannot see Tank 1 unless he pulls back all the way. But Tank 1 still maintains vision of Tank 2 even when only exposing the side of his tank.

Unofficially Revoked Temporary Retirement

I’m too old for this ****.

 

Tier 10 List: Sheridan, M48 Patton, T110E5, T57 Heavy, T110E3, T110E4, T92 HMC | Centurion AX, Fv215B, Chieftain, S. Conqueror, Fv215B 183, Badger, ConquerorGC | Rhm Pzw, E50M, Leopard 1, E100, Maus, PzKpfw VII, JgPzE100, WtaufE100, Grille 15, GWE100 | AMX 13 105, Bat 25t, AMX 30B, AMX 50B, Foch 155, Bc 155 58 | T62A, Obj 140, Obj 430, K-91, Obj 430U, IS-7, IS-4, Obj 277, Obj 263, Obj 268, Obj 268 V4, Obj 261 | 113, Wz-111-5A | TVP T-50/51


Brick S0lid #7 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14262 battles
  • 4,403
  • Member since:
    06-12-2014

View PostF4NA7IC, on 02 March 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Thats the spotting mechanic you want fixed? Not the.. Two tanks are sidescraping. Tank 1 and Tank 2. Tank 1 can somehow see Tank 2, but Tank 2 cannot see Tank 1 unless he pulls back all the way. But Tank 1 still maintains vision of Tank 2 even when only exposing the side of his tank.

Can you provide a more specific example. I've never noticed this before. I'm guessing you know that the base of the gun barrel (I think) is the actual part of your tank that spots enemies but you specifically said the tank 2 was in cover and not exposing that area? Never noticed this as an issue myself but spotting checks irritate the hell out of me.


Artillery punishes flankers, not campers.

 

3700+Wn8. 100 tanks with 3 MoE including 29 tier X's on my main account.

 


FAN47IC #8 Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 27377 battles
  • 2,421
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

View PostBrick S0lid, on 02 March 2017 - 03:44 AM, said:

Can you provide a more specific example. I've never noticed this before. I'm guessing you know that the base of the gun barrel (I think) is the actual part of your tank that spots enemies but you specifically said the tank 2 was in cover and not exposing that area? Never noticed this as an issue myself but spotting checks irritate the hell out of me.

 

 

There are times where I'll be sidescraping against someone, and I'll be able to sit there and stare at him, but he'll still be able to see me, but as soon as I am put in the reverse situation, I stay spotted, but he goes invisible. And then there are times it works the other way where I'll be unspotted until they back up. And it seems like you have to back quite far to spot the other tank, if you're not in a very heavily armored sidescraping tank, it often means eating a shot of damage for nothing.


Unofficially Revoked Temporary Retirement

I’m too old for this ****.

 

Tier 10 List: Sheridan, M48 Patton, T110E5, T57 Heavy, T110E3, T110E4, T92 HMC | Centurion AX, Fv215B, Chieftain, S. Conqueror, Fv215B 183, Badger, ConquerorGC | Rhm Pzw, E50M, Leopard 1, E100, Maus, PzKpfw VII, JgPzE100, WtaufE100, Grille 15, GWE100 | AMX 13 105, Bat 25t, AMX 30B, AMX 50B, Foch 155, Bc 155 58 | T62A, Obj 140, Obj 430, K-91, Obj 430U, IS-7, IS-4, Obj 277, Obj 263, Obj 268, Obj 268 V4, Obj 261 | 113, Wz-111-5A | TVP T-50/51


Brick S0lid #9 Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14262 battles
  • 4,403
  • Member since:
    06-12-2014

View PostF4NA7IC, on 02 March 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

 

 

There are times where I'll be sidescraping against someone, and I'll be able to sit there and stare at him, but he'll still be able to see me, but as soon as I am put in the reverse situation, I stay spotted, but he goes invisible. And then there are times it works the other way where I'll be unspotted until they back up. And it seems like you have to back quite far to spot the other tank, if you're not in a very heavily armored sidescraping tank, it often means eating a shot of damage for nothing.

 

I meant more specifically what tanks but nevermind. Like I said it's probably something to do with the areas in your tank that get you spotted and the point on your turret which does the spotting. If you can risk a shot to the side of your turret next time try point the front of your turret around the corner see if anything changes. 

Don't know if this video provides any clarity to your issue I found it interesting particularly about the finer points of the spotting system.


Edited by Brick S0lid, 02 March 2017 - 09:18 AM.

Artillery punishes flankers, not campers.

 

3700+Wn8. 100 tanks with 3 MoE including 29 tier X's on my main account.

 


Darkgift #10 Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14912 battles
  • 3,225
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    07-13-2015
I think it's interesting how people keep posting videos from WoT PC that has them showing how their game works..

Yet, when people ask a question about the console version, it's always a video from the community that is posted, not something from WGCB..

If our community had the exact information/details for their videos, instead of "this is what it should be" that would be fine..

Seems pretty lazy on WGCB's part to me..

Just don't understand the area 51 secrecy of console information when PC shares it willingly..

Dark

Destraag #11 Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 43620 battles
  • 1,692
  • Member since:
    02-22-2014

Don't forget to multiply all of these checks by each player in the game.

 

WG stated somewhere, I think it was pain but I don't recall where I read or heard this, that the visual checks account for something like 60% of the cpu load on the servers iirc. If I find the quote I'll add it.

 

`Probably` not just a case of them having it tuned down for no reason, but rather the best with what they have. So again `probably` not going to see changes there unless major things get upgraded like the engine or the server hardware. I don't have inside info though so, shrug.


When a person resorts to attacking the other person rather than focusing on the issue (aka argumentum ad hominem), it becomes pretty clear they have nothing else to contribute and are wrong.


Mastr5hakes #12 Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 11316 battles
  • 311
  • [CLT45]
  • Member since:
    11-10-2013

View PostXx StayPuff xxX, on 02 March 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

 

 

Raycasting through a map is not really that of an expensive operations at all nowadays. With some game engines doing this 100 times a second.

 

 

Not expensive ? x30 players ?  

 

Which game engines do you speak of ?  



killer etzi0 #13 Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 60627 battles
  • 19,499
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    06-20-2014

View PostXx StayPuff xxX, on 01 March 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

I never cease to learn more about this game and ponder the design.

 

From http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

 

Rate of Visibility Checks

You will not necessarily spot an enemy tank as soon as you have line of sight on it. The rate of visibility checks is limited as follows:

  • within 50 m range - every 0.1 sec
  • within 150 m range - every 0.5 sec
  • within 270 m range - every 1.0 sec
  • within 445 m range - every 2.0 sec

 

Raycasting through a map is not really that of an expensive operations at all nowadays. With some game engines doing this 100 times a second.

Why is the time delay of this so long for a competitive multiplayer game like WOT?

 

This explains the anomalies/indeterminacy of not seeing enemies rush past buildings in city maps.

^^now this could be the explanation for those heavies that seem to "de-cloak"  right in front of you, when they should have been spotted at a much further distance.

 

Learn something new every day. 


"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

 

Ronald Reagan
 

 


Xx StayPuff xxX #14 Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 23333 battles
  • 191
  • Member since:
    04-18-2014

View PostMastr5hakes, on 02 March 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

 

Not expensive ? x30 players ?  

 

Which game engines do you speak of ?  

 

Who says everything needs to be done on the server?

That's part of the problem here with WG and the lag: when the servers don't allow the clients to use their CPU to do calculations such as this.

 

Using game engines like UE and Unity, the raycast calculations are very fast when allowed to be executed on the client (your Xbox or PC).



Knot3D #15 Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 22828 battles
  • 3,341
  • Member since:
    01-18-2015
I recently put Designated Target on my best crew and I noticed it does help quite a bit to compensate for this phenomenon. More assisted dmg as a byproduct as well.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users