• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

giaka #101 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34943 battles
  • [WTAF]

View PostHex Arcana, on 20 March 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

This. If you have to sit still for 3+ seconds because of a horrendous aim time, why not equip binocs. 

The big reason would be a crew with 15+ skills.  Binocs or Optics or nothing at all is not cut and dry. 

You play like an admin....                 --Some Potato 

I can think of 360 reasons why we have less bushes....             --Dark       

Hex Arcana #102 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25446 battles
  • [RTA]

View PostMajor Englush, on 20 March 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

Because it takes binos 5 seconds to kick in, not three...? Other than the KV-2, what other heavies have that long of an aim time? (Honestly -- no clue. Maybe the Nippon heavies...? I know the Frenchies take a lifetime, but not quite 5 seconds, do they?)

I still think that slot is wasted on binos on 99% of all heavies, but your mileage may vary. (Note that I don't play heavies all that often. I only see far, far, far too many of them trying to play the role of TD.)

I often count after coming to a stop, always takes 3 seconds. Unless there is lag. Where are you getting 5s from?

Major Englush #103 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15664 battles
  • [BNKR]

View Postsumplkrum, on 20 March 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Vents doesn't give you enough to negate camo.
You could equp Optics and Vents, but then you can't have Vert Stabs.

Binos gives you the view range and you can keep your Vert Stabs.

I still use Optics in a lot of situations, but on the Lowe I use binos and Vert Stabs (and Rammer of course).
Keep in mind that enemies stay spotted for two seconds once spotted. You only have to sit still for a couple seconds to activate binos, then you can aim-shoot, move, whatever.
You basically just pause now and then so people get spotted. Half the time they run away as soon as they get lit.

Binos helps especially when SS keeps triggering, but you can't figure out where the guys is. Or there's a hidden TD in a general area and you need to dig him out (end of a corridor).

No offense whatsoever here, but your Lowe stats do not exactly show that this strategy is effective. 

Now, I can see playing the role of 2nd line sniper kinda thing when in a tier X game, but in the vast majority of cases, the improved gun handling, reload, etc., from vents will far outweigh the very few times binos would pay off.

Major Englush #104 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15664 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostHex Arcana, on 20 March 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

I often count after coming to a stop, always takes 3 seconds. Unless there is lag.

There's a chance I count too fast.

:)

RuefulCenturion #105 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22625 battles

View PostMajor Englush, on 20 March 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

No offense whatsoever here, but your Lowe stats do not exactly show that this strategy is effective. 

Now, I can see playing the role of 2nd line sniper kinda thing when in a tier X game, but in the vast majority of cases, the improved gun handling, reload, etc., from vents will far outweigh the very few times binos would pay off.

​QFT. It is important to look at the stats of the player in the tank they give advice about. I would ignore the advice of someone with a 45% win ratio in Tier X tanks if they say to use binocs on them.

"What do you think of your team's execution?"

"I'm all for it." - John McKay

sumplkrum #106 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 9782 battles

View PostMajor Englush, on 20 March 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Very true. It's my first premium buy, so there's a lot of learning games in those stats.

Vents doesn't give much of a buff. The tank is still slow. Reload is still slow. You don't really need more accuracy.

The Lowe is more sniper than most heavies, so the view range Binos provides makes you viable when low tier, and Op-ish in static situations in tier VIII matches. ... Cancelling people's camo is far more worth it.

Stat masturbation:

Hex Arcana #107 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25446 battles
  • [RTA]

View PostMajor Englush, on 20 March 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

There's a chance I count too fast.

:)

I use the mississippi method. There are a few heavy tanks where nocs aren't a bad idea.. Like the ARL44 with its horrid aim time (esp the 105mm), or the VK30.01H which is just a DW2 with a punchy accurate gun. On top of base aim time you also have things like turret traverse bloom which can make it take even longer to aim in. It's not the binos fault that so many people backline camp in heavies. Tbh i doubt most of them are even running binos as once the poorly-armored tanks trying & failing to fill the slacking heavies' role die, they can't seem to see what's approaching them until it's too late.

Major Englush #108 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15664 battles
  • [BNKR]

View Postsumplkrum, on 20 March 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

Very true. It's my first premium buy, so there's a lot of learning games in those stats.

Vents doesn't give much of a buff. The tank is still slow. Reload is still slow. You don't really need more accuracy.

The Lowe is more sniper than most heavies, so the view range Binos provides makes you viable when low tier, and Op-ish in static situations in tier VIII matches. ... Cancelling people's camo is far more worth it.

Out of all the heavies, the Lowe and TOG are the two I can see using binos -- the former due to the gun, the latter due to the lack of speed. (Note that I ran binos on my TOG for about two games and found them a waste of a slot.)

Hex Arcana

I use the mississippi method. There are a few heavy tanks where nocs aren't a bad idea.. Like the ARL44 with its horrid aim time (particularly the 105mm), or the VK30.01H which is just a DW2 with a good gun. On top of base aim time you also have things like turret traverse bloom which can make it take even longer to aim in. It's not the binos fault that so many people backline camp in heavies. Tbh i doubt most of them are even running binos as once the tanks trying & failing to fill the slacking heavies' role die, they can't seem see what's approaching them until it's too late. 

While true, it doesn't exactly help, either. :D 

Edited by Major Englush, 20 March 2017 - 08:10 PM.

sumplkrum #109 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 9782 battles

View PostMajor Englush, on 20 March 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

Out of all the heavies, the Lowe and TOG are the two I can see using binos -- the former due to the gun, the latter due to the lack of speed. (Note that I ran binos on my TOG for about two games and found them a waste of a slot.)

I used to have Optics on the Lowe, but got tired of invisible things nailing the F out of everything. Binos helps light-up the idiots who think they are immune to getting shot. 
Don't have a TOG. That's too slow even for me.   :)
Stat masturbation:

v F i n d #110 Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:10 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9549 battles
  • [7F]
:trollface:

did 1 kill you #111 Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 28137 battles

I have 100% damage standing in my Tiger 1. I have 99% in my 131. I use binoculars in both. 

Do I camp. No.

Should everyone use binos. No.

They are effective like anything if you use them correctly.

When all else fails use the report button.

Knot3D #112 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19773 battles

Man, this passive scumbag (probably a pesky binocs user) is spotting less and less recently....but apparently, MM and RNG are favoring him lately for some ungodly reason......

Spoiler

XERXEZS #113 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16495 battles

View Postmoonwhistle, on 19 March 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

There is a consensus among some streamers that if you can't reach maximum view range with optics, crew skills, vents etc then you should pick binos instead. I now think that this is wrong.

I had been following that for a long time and was surprised how rarely I would ever get benefit from binoculars. You can't spot aggressively, you often get outspotted without getting having time for the binos to kick in and they suck for general late game yolo.

I even made the mistake of using binos on stuff like the Conway and Foch. As soon as I switched to optics everything went much better for me. Even stuff like the PZ V/IV seems to benefit way more from optics despite pitiful base view range.

TLDR

Imo Binos are useless on most maps for most vehicles classes. They are obselete equipment with a few minor exceptions. Optics are almost always the better option even if you can't reach the maximum 445m view range.

Binoculars are the greatest thing in wot, your view range increases dramatically.

if you like to yolo as a light then that's on you.

F4NA7IC #114 Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17740 battles

View PostRuefulCenturion, on 20 March 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

​QFT. It is important to look at the stats of the player in the tank they give advice about. I would ignore the advice of someone with a 45% win ratio in Tier X tanks if they say to use binocs on them.

But dude, they have great advice. You can always learn what not to do.

Unofficially Revoked Temporary Retirement

Tier 10 List: M48 Patton, T110E5, T57 Heavy, T110E3, T92 HMC | Centurion AX | E50M, Leopard 1, E100, JgPzE100, WtaufE100, GWE100 | Bat 25t, AMX 30B | T62A, Obj 140, IS-7, Obj 263, Obj 268 |

JesterUSMC #115 Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12465 battles
  • [BNKR]
The amount of bad information in this thread makes me physically ill...

Semper Fi

Check out The Bunker - http://thebunker.freeforums.net/

Gigantic Owl #116 Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21346 battles
  • [7F]

View PostJesterUSMC, on 22 March 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

The amount of bad information in this thread makes me physically ill...

Don't be so elitist. Just because somebody is bad at the game and gives advice that is contrary to what any good player says doesn't mean it's bad information. Bahahaha I barely made it through typing that.

An actual gameplay expert

Check out my guides on the bunker.  http://thebunker.fre...ide-compilation

TocFanKe4 #117 Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15988 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostGigantic Owl, on 22 March 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Don't be so elitist. Just because somebody is bad at the game and gives advice that is contrary to what any good player says doesn't mean it's bad information. Bahahaha I barely made it through typing that.

Yeah, but it's not so cut and dried as you make it out to be. Binoculars aren't always useless. 

"I'm the Tower of Power, Too Sweet to be Sour, I'm Funky like a Monkey,

Sky's the Limit, and Space is the Place!"  - "Macho Man" Randy Savage

I stream inconsistently and often with beer : https://www.twitch.tv/tocfanke4

Stream contains language that is inappropes. 

sumplkrum #118 Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 9782 battles

View PostTocFanKe4, on 22 March 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yeah, but it's not so cut and dried as you make it out to be. Binoculars aren't always useless. 

Agreed.
The gameplay on a lot of maps does not involve driving relentlessly. You get to a point of cover, try to spot what's ahead, and either engage - or advance up to the next bit of cover.
The three seconds it takes to activate binos is not a big deal compared to the the amount of area you light-up. You pause to check - does Sixth Sense get a hit? If so, use the binos to find the target. If nothing's found, advance to the next checkpoint.

This is especially helpful if you have a crew without Situational Awareness or Recon, or are in a tank with a bit less view range than others at your tier.
It also helps to light-up hidden TDs, which can make a huge difference in the outcome of a match.

If you do have a great crew, are are using food, Optics, and/or Vents – then you don't need to bother with binos.

Stat masturbation:

TocFanKe4 #119 Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15988 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View Postsumplkrum, on 22 March 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Agreed.
The gameplay on a lot of maps does not involve driving relentlessly. You get to a point of cover, try to spot what's ahead, and either engage - or advance up to the next bit of cover.
The three seconds it takes to activate binos is not a big deal compared to the the amount of area you light-up. You pause to check - does Sixth Sense get a hit? If so, use the binos to find the target. If nothing's found, advance to the next checkpoint.

This is especially helpful if you have a crew without Situational Awareness or Recon, or are in a tank with a bit less view range than others at your tier.
It also helps to light-up hidden TDs, which can make a huge difference in the outcome of a match.

If you do have a great crew, are are using food, Optics, and/or Vents – then you don't need to bother with binos.

If I have a great crew, I forgo the Binocs, and sometimes the Optics depending on the tank.  For the 2-3 skill French crews I got in some of my lights in that line, I'm using binocs because they aren't as skilled. 

"I'm the Tower of Power, Too Sweet to be Sour, I'm Funky like a Monkey,

Sky's the Limit, and Space is the Place!"  - "Macho Man" Randy Savage

I stream inconsistently and often with beer : https://www.twitch.tv/tocfanke4

Stream contains language that is inappropes. 

AdenoidBrute65 #120 Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36060 battles
  • [SLY]
About 1 yr ago, I started equiping Binos onto almost all of my tanks. They've helped me greatly. It's sometimes a tough choice though & depends alot on the tank & your playstyle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users