Do any of you great light tankers run binocs?

Lycan binocs

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Big Yeash #21 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18376 battles
  • [BNKR]

Lights without binos? I'm weirded out.

I'd suggest dropping your stabilisers for binos so you can still run binos + optics - no other lights get vertical stabilisers, join us in the pain of inaccurate fire.

Favourite marks earned: Centurion 7/1**, Conqueror** - T-44**, ISU-152** - E-75**, Ferdinand**, Champion/M10 **, WT auf PZ. IV** AMX ELC bis***, AMX 13 75***, AMX 13 90**

If you see me performing really badly on the EU server, it's because I've got three kittens fighting for my attention. I'm really sorry.

f1mitku #22 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19844 battles
I use binos on almost all my tanks. Why not on lights where they are most useful. Of course I use binos on lights too. :B

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #23 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Major

• Players
  • 30302 battles
  • [BNKR]

Thanks for the input everyone....I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try running Cola first before changing equipment. I try to avoid food as a personal challenge, but I'm finally going to give in. Like you are saying, the Lycan can absorb the silver cost as a premium vehicle with premium time as well. 

Thanks again

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

AngryD567 #24 Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12013 battles
High tier lights (6+) should use optics rather than binocs. This is because at the high tiers heavies and TDs have ridiculous view ranges so you will rarely get the chance to sit in a bush and spot. However at the lower tiers binocs are better because potatoes.

BoereJack #25 Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • 16622 battles
  • [DUTCH]

I am in the same boat as you with the lucan, get near the 85 and then get a few maps you don't want in a light, like himmelsdorf or ensk... and drop down again.

i always put vents on my lights(if possible) and run cammonet and bino's.

Some lights i noticed i drive way to much, like the lycan, and thus i change cammo and bino's too:

optics and vertstab with cola. I do the cola with optics for a bit more viewrange and cammorating. 

On of the other things is making sure your crew has atleast SS, bia, cammo, greenthumb, snapshot and smoothdriving as their skills. For me that made quit a drastic difference in being able to stay longer in your bush, and in late game you miss a lot less shots when circling a tank.

good luck on marking your lights...

Edited by BoereJack, 20 March 2017 - 01:10 PM.

My Youtube Channel Filled With WOT PS4 Gameplay: https://www.youtube....FnoS605ne-GYwiA --->Twitchchannel Search for: Boerejack15 

My current projects for first Moe's:

Premiums ---> Mutant 6, Glory IS-5, Ripper, Ram II, Hydrostat, Pz V/IV, Champion, Hidden, Sentinel AC IV, British Bulldog, Chi-Nu Kai, Kaiju

Tier X's ---> T57 Heavy, T110E4, Chieftain, Maus, Grille, T-62A

TOM USMC #26 Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6990 battles
  • [NW]
I am not great, but I love me some light tanks. I run camo and binocs on almost every light tank.  Lights are an abused group of tanks; getting no love from Dev, or players alike. They are not viscerally hated like arty, but many players ( including those playing light tanks) are confused about them. If you need any help let me know and I'll give you my pearls of wisdom. Happy tanking

USMC [0811] 1987-1993

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #27 Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30302 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostBoereJack, on 20 March 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

I am in the same boat as you with the lucan, get near the 85 and then get a few maps you don't want in a light, like himmelsdorf or ensk... and drop down again.

i always put vents on my lights(if possible) and run cammonet and bino's.

Some lights i noticed i drive way to much, like the lycan, and thus i change cammo and bino's too:

optics and vertstab with cola. I do the cola with optics for a bit more viewrange and cammorating. 

On of the other things is making sure your crew has atleast SS, bia, cammo, greenthumb, snapshot and smoothdriving as their skills. For me that made quit a drastic difference in being able to stay longer in your bush, and in late game you miss a lot less [edited]when circling a tank.

good luck on marking your lights...

I should have been more specific in my original post...I'm quite an experienced scout. I was asking specifically about the Lycan. I've marked every light tier 6+ except the 12t and 28.01 (I didn't like those two at all).  The crew that passes through most has 11 skills, all scout beneficial. 

To to give a specific example: Westfield...if I choose to take my wz to the middle and spot everything climbing the hill, I can stop one bush (20 meters maybe?) shorter than I can in the Lycan. The Lycan has to crest a little further. So, without the net and binos, I think I'm being detected sooner if I choose to take pot shots as they climb, even with muffled shot, etc.  Now, don't get me wrong, I can manage an active battle. Below is a Westfield battle from last night. I want to passive longer but to no avail:

http://xboxclips.com...cb-436a14c59d51

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

simo_p_ #28 Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7522 battles
  • [-EXP-]
depends on the crew skills if they have vision skills and perks optics. if not then binos.

PS4 Stats/YouTube Channel

Thee Turtle God #29 Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28815 battles
If you have a good crew and base 400 m view range, you don't really need binocs. And if you do run em, you're going to miss out on games where you can't just sit in a bush all game. If you REALLY need that extra view range, run food, vents and coated with bia,recon,sa

3 MoE: CGC(just kidding xD), T110e4, T57 Heavy, AMX 50 B, Bat.-Châtillon 25t, IS-7, Grille 15, Leopard 1, Maus, E 100, Obj. 430, 113, Conqueror, WZ-111-14, Leopard pta, E-75, Skoda T50, E-50, AMX 30 1st Prototype, T-10, M103, T30, T54e1, T-54, SU-122-54, T49, RU 251, AMX 13 90, TVP VTU Koncept, Indien-Panzer, Object 416, Type 59, T32, T95e2, Comet, M41 Walker Bulldog, VK 28.01, A43, AMX ELC bis. 

EamonnanChnoic #30 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

Someone bird related (turkey, owl, etc.) once said that Light Tanks shouldn't stop moving anyway, so binoculars are useless on them.

58,569 XBox games + 10,000 PS games = No other hobbies

Kebabsaurus Rex #31 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10194 battles
  • [SHOTZ]

I am running optics, vents, and stabliser on my Lycan - same as you by the sounds of it.

Biggest issue, besides no one shooting all the tanks I spot, is being outspotted - most often by Leopards, Pattons, and WZ Chinese tier 8 light.

Considered running cola but have not as yet, currently at ~75% as well.

TocFanKe4 #32 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15953 battles
  • [GIRLS]
Depends on what skills I have. I've recently used more binoculars on lights. Seems to work pretty well.

"I'm the Tower of Power, Too Sweet to be Sour, I'm Funky like a Monkey,

Sky's the Limit, and Space is the Place!"  - "Macho Man" Randy Savage

I stream inconsistently and often with beer : https://www.twitch.tv/tocfanke4

Stream contains language that is inappropes. 

BoereJack #33 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • 16622 battles
  • [DUTCH]

View PostBULLPUPBAKERST1, on 20 March 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

I should have been more specific in my original post...I'm quite an experienced scout. I was asking specifically about the Lycan. I've marked every light tier 6+ except the 12t and 28.01 (I didn't like those two at all).  The crew that passes through most has 11 skills, all scout beneficial. 

To to give a specific example: Westfield...if I choose to take my wz to the middle and spot everything climbing the hill, I can stop one bush (20 meters maybe?) shorter than I can in the Lycan. The Lycan has to crest a little further. So, without the net and binos, I think I'm being detected sooner if I choose to take pot shots as they climb, even with muffled shot, etc.  Now, don't get me wrong, I can manage an active battle. Below is a Westfield battle from last night. I want to passive longer but to no avail:

http://xboxclips.com...cb-436a14c59d51

yeah see that is my problem also...(i also marked all my lights from tier 5 and up, except for the elc bis and the tier 5 british)....i used to run bino's and camo net...but the lycan is a bit higher i think, so it gets spotted earlier....you could try also optics camo net and bino's and food. i did that a few games in the snakebite, as an advice from a fellow clanmate who did 3 mark the snakebite before me, it could both play passive scout and agressive scout. but i went back to vents bino's and cammonet  after a few games.....because i had the feeling i missed more shot without vents

Edited by BoereJack, 20 March 2017 - 01:16 PM.

My Youtube Channel Filled With WOT PS4 Gameplay: https://www.youtube....FnoS605ne-GYwiA --->Twitchchannel Search for: Boerejack15 

My current projects for first Moe's:

Premiums ---> Mutant 6, Glory IS-5, Ripper, Ram II, Hydrostat, Pz V/IV, Champion, Hidden, Sentinel AC IV, British Bulldog, Chi-Nu Kai, Kaiju

Tier X's ---> T57 Heavy, T110E4, Chieftain, Maus, Grille, T-62A

Kebabsaurus Rex #34 Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10194 battles
  • [SHOTZ]

I use binos on my Bulldog, the passive spotting early game and assisted damage helped my get my second mark.

For the T49 I also used binos with camo net and vents. Again trying to get assisted damage from passive spotting then go for direct damage late-game, assuming we are winning......

Saerbhreathach #35 Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17590 battles
  • [LIGHT]

Binocs are useful if you plan on playing a super passive scout. If you plan on moving a round a lot or play a little aggressively, optics is the way to go. You can in increase view range by combining the right equipment, perks and consumables. 

Toss some cola in for your crew, improved vents and optics. These combined with an experienced crew SHOULD give you spectacular view range.  :)

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #36 Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30302 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostBoereJack, on 20 March 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

yeah see that is my problem also...(i also marked all my lights from tier 5 and up, except for the elc bis and the tier 5 british)....i used to run bino's and camo net...but the lycan is a bit higher i think, so it gets spotted earlier....you could try also optics camo net and bino's and food. i did that a few games in the snakebite, as an advice from a fellow clanmate who did 3 mark the snakebite before me, it could both play passive scout and agressive scout. but i went back to vents bino's and cammonet  after a few games.....because i had the feeling i missed more shot without vents

I should have thrown up this result as a comparison...it's the battle yesterday that got the first mark on my sp1c. I run binos and net on it. (I just got it back with an exception on Saturday and went from 20-something percent to 67 percent in 32 battles).  I was still able to deal 2k damage along with the assist. 

A yolo elc on the green team got all of the initial detections...lol

http://xboxclips.com...2d-168aeeaa1f30

ThePlageRage #37 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15286 battles
I run binocs and optics on most of my scouts, but I play more passive than most though.  Binos for the first half of the game and optics for the last half.  If you don't like to play passive than you shouldn't use binocs.  

ll SkagPipe ll #38 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11710 battles
  • [BNKR]
It depends on how you play the given tank tbh.  Some guys rove and are much better served by optics, other guys Kemp bush more.  T71 can easily play both ways, but I run binos cuz that btch can snipe while long range spotting and you don't need optics for close range, drive by, magdumps.

Someone here a while ago made a good argument for optics, binos, stabs.

DonThommo #39 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

Major

• Club Wargaming
  • 9266 battles
  • [GUYS]

I've three marked a few light tanks (Lycan included) and I don't tend to run binocs on any of them these days. There were times in the past when I would even run optics AND binos + camo. Now I have realised that you can't rely on your teammates to shoot stuff to help your MoE with assisted so it's best just to practice shooting those unsuspected reds with your filthy autloader and then running away, or at least amusingly driving around them for 18 seconds till you can reload and shoot them more.

These days I usually run Optics, Vents as standard, and then rammer/vert stabs depending on what's available for that tank.

Edited by DonThommo, 20 March 2017 - 05:10 PM.

YouTube / TwitchTwitter / My stats on Xbox & PS4 / Our Discord Server

PumpkinEcobar #40 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 7420 battles
  • [SMOKN]
I've just got the hang of light tanking recently, but I've had some very purple stats during that time so Ill chime in.

I'm pushing for my second star in my Lycan. I have a 7 skill crew in it. I play pretty aggressively in it so I use vents, v stabs and optics. Binos would only help for the first couple minutes of the game for me because I don't passive scout for long. I also have a bad habit of taking shots I shouldn't and having to relocate often, so I use the premium gas to get up and go faster.

Also tagged with Lycan, binocs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users