Jump to content


What Ideas were taken from the Axis Germany?

As far as you know

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

Otis Z Firefly #41 Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 21823 battles
  • 1,291
  • Member since:
    09-11-2015

View PostPanthergraf, on 12 October 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

Fanta.

 

Was that not Coca-Cola not wanting to appear too friendly to the Nazis? Just a vague memory of that though so I'm probably wrong.
Ordo ab Chao.

WidowMaker1711 #42 Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11837 battles
  • 10,002
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostKanonFyodor, on 20 March 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

Guided weapons. The Germans developed the Fritz X, a radio controlled glide bomb so I guess technically it's a "smart bomb". It was the first precision guided munition ever deployed in combat and the first guided weapon to sink a ship.

 

You should see the RAF Museum Cosford. Its not just Fritz they developed before 1945. 


For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


McLogo #43 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 10114 battles
  • 653
  • [VENGA]
  • Member since:
    01-20-2016

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 14 June 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

I doubt it, electric cars dont's seem to spontaneously burst into flames as frequently as Porche's engine.
 

 

View PostErkwounder, on 30 May 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

tiger 1 using elecric engine at least that porche versio. fuel engine rotating generator which make electric. todays cars using samekind tecnology.

 

What is a Porche? https://upload.wikim...Front_Porch.jpg:trollface:

RangerCharlie75 #44 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 18739 battles
  • 587
  • [USAV]
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

View PostErkwounder, on 30 May 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

tiger 1 using elecric engine at least that porche versio. fuel engine rotating generator which make electric. todays cars using samekind tecnology.

 

1941 the US was using Electric drive in the M6 prototypes. Germany was not the only one, nor the first to be trying this out.

 


Aelgyn #45 Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16014 battles
  • 1,440
  • Member since:
    11-26-2014

Photography/Optics:

 

Soviet photo industry got started with German technology. Soviet cameras copied Leica bodies and Zeiss lens designs. See Zorki and FED lines. FEDs were actually produced in some kind of re-education camp and they're named after the initials of the chief of Cheka, the precursor of the KGB. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Dzerzhinsky.

Also see: http://www.fedka.com/Useful_info/Commune_by_Fricke/commune_A.htm

 

I believe the Japanese photo industry also got helped by the German designs being in the public domain as well as by the stationing of US forces in Japan, which provided customers for all this technology.

 

I expect that lens coatings (used on lenses of all kinds) also became common in the same way after the war. Previously, they were a German war secret, as they were used in binoculars and periscope optics. They were independently discovered in the US around the same time, but I expect that the Soviets got the technology from Germany. Perhaps the Japanese as well.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating#History

 



Futarrari #46 Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:32 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 13261 battles
  • 1,531
  • [KNOWN]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

Wasnt the panthers cooling system adopted by the Soviets for use in the IS4 ?

 



DefiantSpurr #47 Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14239 battles
  • 2,666
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    11-11-2014

View PostKanonFyodor, on 20 March 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

Guided weapons. The Germans developed the Fritz X, a radio controlled glide bomb so I guess technically it's a "smart bomb". It was the first precision guided munition ever deployed in combat and the first guided weapon to sink a ship.

 

​regarding guided weapons. The Germans ww2 contribution is really over hyped. Guided weapons were first patented in the late 1800s. Brennan torpedos were a type of guided weapon.as were the various remote controlled air craft and boats that preceded ww2

Subscribe to my YouTube! 

https://www.youtube....ser/immortalfae

 


Gross1985 #48 Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4724 battles
  • 136
  • Member since:
    01-25-2016

A few things that come to mind that America & the Soviets took from the Third Reich were:

♢ Ballistic Missiles

♢ Assault-Rifles

♢ Supersonic Aircraft

 

The first one was probably the most important, because after WWII, the Cold War happened, and both the US & Soviets sought many German personnel who were involved in the development of these weapons, which would then be used for their nuclear weapons programs.  The Americans' attempt was "Operation Paperclip" and the Soviets' was "Operation Osoaviakhim".  Aside from the potential for nuclear weapons, their ingenuity brought about the Space Race.

 

Like I said, though, these are a few things that come to mind.  There are definitely many other things the Third Reich conceived, although most of them never left the drawing board.  Some of them are alleged to be mythical, too, such as Die Glocke and HaunebuⅡ.



WidowMaker1711 #49 Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:18 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11837 battles
  • 10,002
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostGross1985, on 19 March 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

A few things that come to mind that America & the Soviets took from the Third Reich were:

♢ Ballistic Missiles

♢ Assault-Rifles

♢ Supersonic Aircraft

 

The first one was probably the most important, because after WWII, the Cold War happened, and both the US & Soviets sought many German personnel who were involved in the development of these weapons, which would then be used for their nuclear weapons programs.  The Americans' attempt was "Operation Paperclip" and the Soviets' was "Operation Osoaviakhim".  Aside from the potential for nuclear weapons, their ingenuity brought about the Space Race.

 

Like I said, though, these are a few things that come to mind.  There are definitely many other things the Third Reich conceived, although most of them never left the drawing board.  Some of them are alleged to be mythical, too, such as Die Glocke and HaunebuⅡ.

 

The Germans were no closer to a Supersonic in 1945 than the Americans were in 1947. Had Attlee not crumbled like a cheap shortbread the British would have achieved supersonic flight first with the Miles M.52.


For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


Gross1985 #50 Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4724 battles
  • 136
  • Member since:
    01-25-2016

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 19 March 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

The Germans were no closer to a Supersonic in 1945 than the Americans were in 1947. Had Attlee not crumbled like a cheap shortbread the British would have achieved supersonic flight first with the Miles M.52.

Well, it's possible I made a mistake.  I should've said "jet-engines" and not "supersonic aircraft", especially since jet-engines don't always boost an aircraft to supersonic speeds...



Otis Z Firefly #51 Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:12 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 21823 battles
  • 1,291
  • Member since:
    09-11-2015

View PostGross1985, on 20 March 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Well, it's possible I made a mistake.  I should've said "jet-engines" and not "supersonic aircraft", especially since jet-engines don't always boost an aircraft to supersonic speeds...

 

You'd still be incorrect. Norway had the first gas turbine engine running in the early 1900s. I think you can claim area bombing and the Jerry can.
Ordo ab Chao.

Cannon x Fodder #52 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:36 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 13486 battles
  • 980
  • Member since:
    08-17-2014

View PostBusiedBat306, on 28 June 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Not sure what has and hasn't been mentioned, so I will just throw in my two cents. The things in my list are all the first examples of their kind. (To my knowledge, though after 7 years of studying this I feel fairly confident.)

 

- Stg 44 (Lead to assault rifles.)

- V2 Rocket (First man made object into space, and made possible the rockets used by NASA and RU.)

- VW Beetle (One of the first cars designed specifically for the average citizen.)

- Me 262 (First jet aircraft in genera to be used, and first fighter jet to be used in combat.)

- Vampir System (First example of night vision technology, used by infantry and mounted on Panther tanks late in the war.)

- Autobahn (First highways, now used globally.)

- Blitzkrieg and Armored Warfare (Introduced a whole new era of warfare.)

 

Policies:

- Anti-smoking (First time employed on a national level.)

- Environmental Protection (First time employed on a national level.)

 

Most of this is straight from my head after 7 years of research, if any of this is in question I am more than happy to find sources.

Should have done a little more research...the 2cv was developed in 1936, 2 years before the VW Beatle.  It didn't go into production until 48 because of the war, but there were prototypes and drawings from before the war that were hidden from the nazis.



x1981 Bengals #53 Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17504 battles
  • 1,032
  • [FRAT]
  • Member since:
    06-13-2014

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 19 March 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

 

The Germans were no closer to a Supersonic in 1945 than the Americans were in 1947. Had Attlee not crumbled like a cheap shortbread the British would have achieved supersonic flight first with the Miles M.52.

 

Didn't the 262 break the sound barrier in a dive?

Banned from Bunker

Banned from WCL & RSR

Former clan disbanded by WG

3 MoE: TT King Tiger, Tiger, VK30M, T29, T32, 3/4


Otis Z Firefly #54 Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:17 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 21823 battles
  • 1,291
  • Member since:
    09-11-2015

View Postx1981 Bengals, on 17 April 2018 - 11:47 PM, said:

 

Didn't the 262 break the sound barrier in a dive?

 

No.
Ordo ab Chao.

WidowMaker1711 #55 Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11837 battles
  • 10,002
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View Postx1981 Bengals, on 17 April 2018 - 11:47 PM, said:

 

Didn't the 262 break the sound barrier in a dive?

 

If it did there would be a large crater at the bottom. The lack of an All Flying Tailplane severely hampered this. Which is bizarre as WWI aircraft had them and they werent reintroduced until the Miles M.52 project in the mid 40s


For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


BusiedBat306 #56 Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 13678 battles
  • 368
  • [MCGS]
  • Member since:
    02-07-2014

View PostCannon x Fodder, on 16 April 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Should have done a little more research...the 2cv was developed in 1936, 2 years before the VW Beatle.  It didn't go into production until 48 because of the war, but there were prototypes and drawings from before the war that were hidden from the nazis.

 

By that logic we can also conclude that the Nazis were the first to create the atomic bomb, or that the P1000 Ratte currently holds the record for the world's heaviest tank. Much like your BaguetteMobile, these projects were mere drawings with the occasional prototype. Due to your vehicle's failure to be implemented until 1948, it holds no historical significance beyond a technicality. As a final example, we could also consider the Nazis to be the first to create an air gun capable of downing aircraft... See the problem here?

              Want help/advice with the Tiger 1? PM me.

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning." - Erwin Rommel

 

Clan Recruitment:

[MCGS] Shmitz Recruiting: We Want You! (XBOX)


x1981 Bengals #57 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17504 battles
  • 1,032
  • [FRAT]
  • Member since:
    06-13-2014

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 18 April 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

 

If it did there would be a large crater at the bottom. The lack of an All Flying Tailplane severely hampered this. Which is bizarre as WWI aircraft had them and they werent reintroduced until the Miles M.52 project in the mid 40s

 

It could move

Banned from Bunker

Banned from WCL & RSR

Former clan disbanded by WG

3 MoE: TT King Tiger, Tiger, VK30M, T29, T32, 3/4


WidowMaker1711 #58 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11837 battles
  • 10,002
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View Postx1981 Bengals, on 19 April 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

 

It could move

 

What could move?? 


For Russ and the Allfather

 

 


Otis Z Firefly #59 Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 21823 battles
  • 1,291
  • Member since:
    09-11-2015

View PostBusiedBat306, on 18 April 2018 - 01:59 PM, said:

 

By that logic we can also conclude that the Nazis were the first to create the atomic bomb, or that the P1000 Ratte currently holds the record for the world's heaviest tank. Much like your BaguetteMobile, these projects were mere drawings with the occasional prototype. Due to your vehicle's failure to be implemented until 1948, it holds no historical significance beyond a technicality. As a final example, we could also consider the Nazis to be the first to create an air gun capable of downing aircraft... See the problem here?

 

Where do the Ford model T and Austin 7 fit in the car for everyone?
Ordo ab Chao.

BusiedBat306 #60 Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:07 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 13678 battles
  • 368
  • [MCGS]
  • Member since:
    02-07-2014

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 19 April 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

 

Where do the Ford model T and Austin 7 fit in the car for everyone?

 

You make an interesting point there, although you have to consider that when those cars were being produced they were not exactly "affordable," especially the Model T. That is not to say however that they did not revolutionize the automobile industry.

              Want help/advice with the Tiger 1? PM me.

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning." - Erwin Rommel

 

Clan Recruitment:

[MCGS] Shmitz Recruiting: We Want You! (XBOX)





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users