Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

DUTCHMASTER803 #1 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:44 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 23429 battles
  • [CCSC]
Just wanted to make sure and let people know (in case it hasn't been mentioned) that today is the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo. They trained here in Columbia, SC on Lake Murry. Its sad there is only one veteran left.  In case you live under a rock or your to busy playing Pokemon the Doolittle Raiders were a volunteer group of pilots that showed true Bravery and Patriotism and undoubtedly boosted moral for the entire USA after the cowardly sneak attack by the dirty rotten Japanese. Bout to get on and hopefully kill some myself.

TWISTED METAL V #2 Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:45 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15472 battles
  • [ASYLM]

Good bit of history there but Two things, 1st Not everyone on tanks plays Pokémon, 2nd The Japanese have done well for themselves and always apologizes for WWII, so why would they be dirty? bit racist that.

No offense though I'm not personally Japanese nor am I offended, I'm just pointing out that it might be misconceived, The history you brought up is nice but saying that we play Pokémon & that the Japanese people are dirty may not be taken very well or lightly.

Edited by TWISTED METAL V, 20 April 2017 - 03:46 AM.

GamerTag: TWISTED METAL V:harp:

"They say the mind Twist-N-Turns in order to deal with the Horrors of Life...

...I think My mind bent so much it Snaped in Two"

MIDNIGHTxxxWOLF #3 Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4820 battles

View PostTWISTED METAL V, on 20 April 2017 - 03:45 AM, said:

Good bit of history there but Two things, 1st Not everyone on tanks plays Pokémon, 2nd The Japanese have done well for themselves and always apologizes for WWII, so why would they be dirty? bit racist that.

No offense though I'm not personally Japanese nor am I offended, I'm just pointing out that it might be misconceived, The history you brought up is nice but saying that we play Pokémon & that the Japanese people are dirty may not be taken very well or lightly.

Agreed but what I Think he means is that in Quite a few Japanese schools it has be shown that they have written out nearly everything they did in WWII apart from the Major battles and losing, for Example they completely wrote out the massacre at Nanking.

Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own. - Bruce Lee

Metalrodent #4 Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10186 battles
  • [KMD]

One thing about the Doolittle raid, that gets brushed under the carpet of celebrations - is that roughly 250k Chinese civilians lost their lives because the pilots landed in China so the Japanese took reprisals against them for 'collaborating'.

But yes from a military view it was a strong bold statement that panicked the Japanese and made them act rashly.

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...sCeAbYa.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...bYa.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>

There’s a mask upon my face
I can’t live without
So you won’t recognize me
When I am in the crowd

WidowMaker1711 #5 Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11826 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostTWISTED METAL V, on 20 April 2017 - 03:45 AM, said:

The Japanese have never apologised for their part in WW2. They also spent the rest of the 20th C whitewashing it from their memories and education system. 

For Russ and the Allfather

Otis Z Firefly #6 Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles

Terrorised a whole nation by killing nearly 200,000 civilians with two atomic bombs. Not to mention the rapeing the US soldiers did throughout the war. And you call the Japanese dirty and rotten? No combatant country came out of the war without blood on its hands.

Ordo ab Chao.

WidowMaker1711 #7 Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11826 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 15 April 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

Terrorised a whole nation by killing nearly 200,000 civilians with two atomic bombs. Not to mention the rapeing the US soldiers did throughout the war. And you call the Japanese dirty and rotten? No combatant country came out of the war without blood on its hands.

The US didnt set up Pleasure Houses. The US didnt force women and children to walk to camps where they were systematically starved and abused, the US didnt force captured Soldiers into a death march, the US didnt systematically torture civilians and combatants.

Otis Z Firefly #8 Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 15 April 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

The US didnt set up Pleasure Houses. The US didnt force women and children to walk to camps where they were systematically starved and abused, the US didnt force captured Soldiers into a death march, the US didnt systematically torture civilians and combatants.

Didn't you get as far as my last sentence? War crimes were committed by both sides, but no country has used atomic weapons (against a mostly civilian population at that) in anger other than the USA. Even Eisenhower didn't believe dropping the bombs changed anything, thinking the Japanese already broken.
Ordo ab Chao.

WidowMaker1711 #9 Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11826 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 15 April 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

Didn't you get as far as my last sentence? War crimes were committed by both sides, but no country has used atomic weapons (against a mostly civilian population at that) in anger other than the USA. Even Eisenhower didn't believe dropping the bombs changed anything, thinking the Japanese already broken.

The Japanese werent broken though. They were fanatics to a man. They would have fought for every inch of ground had the first bomb not dropped and the Soviets declaring/resuming war against them. The second bomb may however have been overkill. But then the firebombing raids killed more than the atomic bomb.

Otis Z Firefly #10 Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 15 April 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

The Japanese werent broken though. They were fanatics to a man. They would have fought for every inch of ground had the first bomb not dropped and the Soviets declaring/resuming war against them. The second bomb may however have been overkill. But then the firebombing raids killed more than the atomic bomb.

The point is that name calling is childish. My grandfather bombed Germany, his brothers killed by Germans but I wasn't brought up to hate Germany, I'd say they committed far worse than the Japanese. Personal feelings of nationalism and blind hatred should be put aside when studying history.
Ordo ab Chao.

leedozer #11 Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 41386 battles
  • [47R]
I don't understand why guys jump down others posts with anti allied bull crap,I think they are living in cloud cookoo land to keep glossing over the fact that 2 out of the 3 axis powers were the most belligerent and aggressive  nations of there day,they both had death camps and vulgar experimental works going,yet all they can come back with is no one's hands are clean,I can tell you this for free,the allied hands we're a lot bloody cleaner than the axis,grow up and stop being a snowflake.

Otis Z Firefly #12 Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles
I'll take the words of a World War two veteran over people who look at it through the lens of history. The Japanese and Germans weren't homogeneous people. 
Ordo ab Chao.

ElCrazyMexDeuce #13 Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:07 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26649 battles

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 15 April 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

The point is that name calling is childish. My grandfather bombed Germany, his brothers killed by Germans but I wasn't brought up to hate Germany, I'd say they committed far worse than the Japanese. Personal feelings of nationalism and blind hatred should be put aside when studying history.

I always try to look at things from both sides of a discussion. I looked at yours but the main thing (which caused your main point to be lost) was that you hate USA. No biggie to me one way or the other to be perfectly honest with you. I think your point might have gotten across better if you had actually provided more clarification on your original statement. Alot of folks in the forums will "bristle" at comments they may think are directed towards "them" (their country) if clarification about the statement being made isn't given.

Make sense?....hope so lol.

Otis Z Firefly #14 Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles

View PostElCrazyMexDeuce, on 25 April 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

I always try to look at things from both sides of a discussion. I looked at yours but the main thing (which caused your main point to be lost) was that you hate USA. No biggie to me one way or the other to be perfectly honest with you. I think your point might have gotten across better if you had actually provided more clarification on your original statement. Alot of folks in the forums will "bristle" at comments they may think are directed towards "them" (their country) if clarification about the statement being made isn't given.

Make sense?....hope so lol.

I don't hate the USA. I don't like it when a whole nation of people get painted as evil. 
Ordo ab Chao.

WidowMaker1711 #15 Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11826 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 25 April 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

I don't hate the USA. I don't like it when a whole nation of people get painted as evil. 

Don't ever look on Quora then...

Otis Z Firefly #16 Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 25 April 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

I don't know what that is, I'll take your advice and avoid it.
Ordo ab Chao.

WidowMaker1711 #17 Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11826 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 25 April 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

I don't know what that is, I'll take your advice and avoid it.

Its a site where people can ask questions and peers answer them. The current topic du jour is why was the British Empire so evil.

Otis Z Firefly #18 Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 25 April 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Its a site where people can ask questions and peers answer them. The current topic du jour is why was the British Empire so evil.

I think Leedozer is the one who might want to avoid it. Seeing as he can't stand criticism of the Allied forces.
Ordo ab Chao.

x1981 Bengals #19 Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17501 battles
  • [FRAT]

View PostWidowMaker1711, on 25 April 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

Yahoo Answers was better.

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 15 April 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

War is called hell for a reason. The atomic bomb should have been dropped on Moscow was far more humane than what the Japs had done to the Chinese. A Japanese invasion would have likely caused much more destruction on a scale much bigger than two cities, which was thought to be the only other solution at the time. If your only comeback is saying everyone had dirty hands, then you're doing it wrong.

They would have likely surrendered without the bomb though.

Banned from Bunker

Banned from WCL & RSR

Former clan disbanded by WG

3 MoE: TT King Tiger, Tiger, VK30M, T29, T32, 3/4

Otis Z Firefly #20 Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21397 battles

View Postx1981 Bengals, on 28 April 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Yahoo Answers was better.

War is called hell for a reason. The atomic bomb should have been dropped on Moscow was far more humane than what the Japs had done to the Chinese. A Japanese invasion would have likely caused much more destruction on a scale much bigger than two cities, which was thought to be the only other solution at the time. If your only comeback is saying everyone had dirty hands, then you're doing it wrong.

They would have likely surrendered without the bomb though. 

Doing what wrong? Stating it's wrong to demonise a whole country of people on the actions of the state? I'm not arguing if one side did worse than the other. 

Edited by Otis Z Firefly, 30 April 2018 - 01:30 PM.

Ordo ab Chao.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users