Growth and decay of the community playerbase

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Kamakazi Rusher #1 Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6623 battles
  • [RDDT]

Hiya! I recently went through WG's database for a little project. Found something I wanted to share with you all.

Since April 2016, we've been seeing a decline in the playerbase size. That is, we have more players leaving the game than those joining. Please note that the first bar in the graph is 2014-01.

How was this done? Through Wargaming's API, you can review each player's information regarding when they joined and when their last month took place. I went through the Player Ranking API, since it ranks all players, and pulled each person's data. I then tallied up how many new accounts were made each month and how many players have not had a battle since then. It's relatively easy to do! I have some of the source code available and the raw data on a Github Gist too.

You can view my graph directly at http://i.imgur.com/K7fV0vn.png and the per-console breakdown at http://i.imgur.com/WLJ050t.png. You can find detailed breakdown in my Reddit post

Overall:

Net playerbase growth

Per console:

Per-console

Edited by Kamakazi Rusher, 05 June 2017 - 07:07 PM.

Code Monkey, Network Engineer, and Ethical Systems Penetration Tester

Community Status Tracker - Official Thread

Take a look at my post where I datamined WG's servers! Account registration, inactive players, premium ownership, all that good stuff!

Kamakazi Rusher #2 Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6623 battles
  • [RDDT]
Link to Excel and CSV files for those who would also like to look at the data

Edited by Kamakazi Rusher, 05 June 2017 - 09:22 PM.

Take a look at my post where I datamined WG's servers! Account registration, inactive players, premium ownership, all that good stuff!

NightOfDeaths #3 Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32316 battles
  • [KMD]
Seems like free premiums aren't working. Plus most of the reskins so far have been overpriced like hell. Huntsman, Fatherland, GuP, IS-5.... 

Screw my elders!!!!

World of Tanks a game where it's 1 versus 29. 15 reds trying to kill you and 14 greens trying to support them. The yellows are your only hope. For signature and stats visit http://wotinfo.net/en/player-stats

2 & 3 MoEs

EamonnanChnoic #4 Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

Attention Dr. Bodge. Paging Dr. Bodge.

Dr. Bodge, please report to the OR for an emergency numberectomy.

PS4 (current) Xbox (retired)

I love Light Tanks

Chr15py #5 Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14923 battles

This is what happens when you use your playerbase as a cash cow and don't listen feedback. 

15k gold tanks is a joke! You shouldn't have to pay for ammo in gold when you buy a tank. The IS5 for example should cost 12k...yup, that's 3+k gold of ammo your paying for. 

Chris

"Per Ardua ad Astra - Through adversity to the stars"

Zxyphos #6 Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18182 battles
  • [RATT]
The quality of the player base has been on decline since year one. I think a lot of that has to do with the unimaginative laziness that had gone into developing a rich player base. I mean, offering an op for players to earn a free tank, might stimulate and increase the player base momentarily, but does nothing to retain those players once the op is over. Same with these self-centric ops where self is placed before team. I think a lot of the ops have contributed in the development of bad habits within the new player base, and bad habits die hard. I just think WG has been lazy in trying to develop, and retain, a good player base overall.

Sentience #7 Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27188 battles
  • [ARROW]

Pretty cool.

So, two thoughts on this - is there any data on gold bought / spent per month?

WG could be perfectly justified in their current op / premium tank strategy if more gold is being spent per player. (Justified in the business sense, not community)

Also, I wonder where the threshold is before WG puts clan wars, better replays, other advanced functionality into the pipeline? Or pessimistically, where it isn't worth placing it in the pipeline.

How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.

Kamakazi Rusher #8 Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6623 battles
  • [RDDT]

View PostSentience, on 05 June 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Pretty cool.

So, two thoughts on this - is there any data on gold bought / spent per month?

WG could be perfectly justified in their current op / premium tank strategy if more gold is being spent per player. (Justified in the business sense, not community)

Also, I wonder where the threshold is before WG puts clan wars, better replays, other advanced functionality into the pipeline? Or pessimistically, where it isn't worth placing it in the pipeline.

Unfortunately, no, we cannot see how much gold is spent per month. There is a way to view a player's gold/silver stash but that requires creating an app that the player chooses to disclose this information to, and would require updating/checking regularly. I can, however, see how many/what premium vehicles each player owns though, but not if they bought/earned it and when.

greyweasel UK #9 Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 17576 battles
Earn ops, paving over the cracks and still not working in the long term. 

Sentience #10 Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27188 battles
  • [ARROW]

Personally, I don't think it's the ops. The last few have been far 'fairer' than the chance based ones.

My belief is that the game is woefully unbalanced at low tiers, and discourages new players.

Basic concepts (being spotted, bush camoflague, tank selection advantages/disadvantages) are not covered throughly enough in game.

On the other end, since there is no clan wars, there's a lack of motivation for creating / maintaining clans.

How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.

R35T NO MORE #11 Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15673 battles
  • [BNKR-]
Not surprised to see this. Since beta i've seen people say the game is dying but this year the server count has been dropping more and more. No new real content other than expensive prems and variants. The old guard are bored, and the tanks are getting to expensive for new players to be tempted. When WG got lazy the game started dying. 

FBPrime #12 Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 47778 battles
  • [KMD]
Bump

Kamakazi Rusher #13 Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6623 battles
  • [RDDT]
Bump: I've uploaded the files to a Drobox folder. Please be responsible with the data! Also note that the files are rather large (200-300MB). You have been warned!

Dr__Jag #14 Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:36 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20765 battles
:popcorn:

Kamakazi Rusher #15 Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6623 battles
  • [RDDT]
Dr. Bodge has made an appearance in the other thread. Please review their findings

TocFanKe4 #16 Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20559 battles
  • [GIRLS]
Why was this moved from GD?  Sweep under the rug, maybe?

The E25 was built for Shenanigans

Kamakazi Rusher #17 Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6623 battles
  • [RDDT]

View PostTocFanKe4, on 30 June 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Why was this moved from GD?  Sweep under the rug, maybe?

I guess it's because it has more to do with the community than the game as a whole? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users