Jump to content


Player Numbers: Daily Tally Report


  • Please log in to reply
1694 replies to this topic

Pit Friend #1661 Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:38 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 33388 battles
  • 18,469
  • [PTATO]
  • Member since:
    07-14-2014

View PostCatSnipah, on 07 November 2019 - 01:22 PM, said:

 

yeah this x10.

 

20k new accounts each week?

 

Then why is there barely 6k on at peak time Saturday night, dropping to 4k or less by midnight or 1 AM US ET?

 

Oh I know.

 

It was posted on the internet, ergo it is true. Bonjour.

 

They’re probably using the same metric that says we have over a million players. A million separate accounts may have tried the game at some point but there sure as hell aren’t anywhere near that many active players. 


When the nice guy loses his patience the devil shivers. 


CatSnipah #1662 Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:31 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 26795 battles
  • 5,378
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    11-10-2013

View PostPit Friend, on 07 November 2019 - 11:38 PM, said:

 

They’re probably using the same metric that says we have over a million players. A million separate accounts may have tried the game at some point but there sure as hell aren’t anywhere near that many active players. 

 

BONJOUR!!!

RFCAN76 #1663 Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 50921 battles
  • 3,263
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014


"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."   

     Jean Baptiste Poquelin (1622 - 1673]       266 tanks in the garage as of 11/01//2019

:B  https://www.wgcommunityhub.com/gameguides

 

Spoiler Update 08/16/2019

 


RFCAN76 #1664 Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 50921 battles
  • 3,263
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014


"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."   

     Jean Baptiste Poquelin (1622 - 1673]       266 tanks in the garage as of 11/01//2019

:B  https://www.wgcommunityhub.com/gameguides

 

Spoiler Update 08/16/2019

 


RFCAN76 #1665 Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:10 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 50921 battles
  • 3,263
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014


"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."   

     Jean Baptiste Poquelin (1622 - 1673]       266 tanks in the garage as of 11/01//2019

:B  https://www.wgcommunityhub.com/gameguides

 

Spoiler Update 08/16/2019

 


TocFanKe4 #1666 Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 21000 battles
  • 24,362
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    03-16-2014

We got a bump this weekend?  Could have fooled me. 

 

There were less than 6500 players on NA when I got online at like 9-10 pm CT Saturday.  I played a few, then went over to borderlands.  I got back at like 1 am, and was getting 7v7 games so I quit.  There were like 2k people on then.  It's getting rough trying to play at night with these low populations. 
 


 

The E25 was built for Shenanigans


CatSnipah #1667 Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 26795 battles
  • 5,378
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    11-10-2013

View PostTocFanKe4, on 11 November 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

We got a bump this weekend?  Could have fooled me. 

 

There were less than 6500 players on NA when I got online at like 9-10 pm CT Saturday.  I played a few, then went over to borderlands.  I got back at like 1 am, and was getting 7v7 games so I quit.  There were like 2k people on then.  It's getting rough trying to play at night with these low populations. 
 

 

I was on until nearly 2 AM eastern Friday night / Saturday morning and had full matches up and down the tiers (6-10).

 

Population got down to 3100 by the time I logged off.



TocFanKe4 #1668 Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 21000 battles
  • 24,362
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    03-16-2014

View PostCatSnipah, on 11 November 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

 

I was on until nearly 2 AM eastern Friday night / Saturday morning and had full matches up and down the tiers (6-10).

 

Population got down to 3100 by the time I logged off.

 

Guess I should have played Friday.  I can't stand 7v7s.  I wanted to perhaps get a marks boost in a couple tanks, and that's not going to happen in a 7v7. 

 

They should adjust your Marks score by how much HP is available in the match. 


 

The E25 was built for Shenanigans


Dr Bodge #1669 Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 9612 battles
  • 603
  • Member since:
    02-19-2014

Not stopping. Just passing through. Was curious about how the apocalypse is proceeding.

 

Fact #1: The game probably is gaining about 20K new accounts per week (in total). I am not interested in the PS version but the Xbox version gains a fairly predictable number each week of around 10-15K although this number is falling.

 

Fact #2: The number of new recruits is falling steadily. The monthly figures generally vary between about 35% to 50% down on 2018, which was (in total) down 30% on 2017, which was down 20% on 2016... The trend is very clear and stable, hence my original concerns (for those with very long memories).

 

Fact #3: Very few of the new accounts actually go on to play the game. A quick survey of 50 players who signed up a month ago showed that only 8 had played even a single game and only 4 had played more than 10. A long time ago I estimated the attachment rate (defined as those reaching 100 battles) had fallen to only 5% of new accounts. This suggests that of the 10,000 or so who are currently signing up (every week) only about 1600 will even play a single match and as few as 500 will play the game to any meaningful extent*.

 

Fact #4: The graphs given here for player population aren't really on the right scale to show the falling trend. They are far to short term and so any downward trend gets lost in the weekly, monthly, annual cycles. Note that in summer 2017 the 1-day population was over 60,000. By summer 2018 this had fallen to around 45,000. A plethora of earn ops managed to slow the rate of attrition but, despite this effort, by this summer the figure was consistently below 40,000 and recently came very close to falling below 30,000.

 

Fact #5: WG have discontinued the API, or at least stopped updating it, making it harder to get accurate figures. They also continue to buy the forum deeper and deeper into the website. Make what you will of these observations .

 

Best wishes,

Dr B.

 

* Update. I also took quick samples of 50 players from October 2018 and 2017 and found much the same result. In each case only 1 or 2 players had played over 100 battles and, across the 3 samples, I did not see a single player who had played more than 500 games. This suggests that the number going on to become regular players (playing hundreds or thousands rather than dozens of battles) comprise 1% or less of the player base. In simple terms this means the 10K new Xbox players per week results in less than 100 new regular players (i.e. around 5,000 pa). 


Edited by Dr Bodge, 13 November 2019 - 09:50 AM.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

Just An0maly #1670 Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

    First lieutenant

  • WoTC Online Contributor
  • 30726 battles
  • 724
  • [IMTLZ]
  • Member since:
    08-13-2017
I'm sorry, can you elaborate on point #5 above -- not sure I am tracking on what this bit means? (To be fair, I'm on cup of coffee #1, so it may be me).

RFCAN76 #1671 Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 50921 battles
  • 3,263
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostDr Bodge, on 12 November 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Not stopping. Just passing through. Was curious about how the apocalypse is proceeding.

 

Fact #1: The game probably is gaining about 20K new accounts per week (in total). I am not interested in the PS version but the Xbox version gains a fairly predictable number each week of around 10-15K although this number is falling.

 

Fact #2: The number of new recruits is falling steadily. The monthly figures generally vary between about 35% to 50% down on 2018, which was (in total) down 30% on 2017, which was down 20% on 2016... The trend is very clear and stable, hence my original concerns (for those with very long memories).

 

Fact #3: Very few of the new accounts actually go on to play the game. A quick survey of 50 players who signed up a month ago showed that only 8 had played even a single game and only 4 had played more than 10. A long time ago I estimated the attachment rate (defined as those reaching 100 battles) had fallen to only 5% of new accounts. This suggests that of the 10,000 or so who are currently signing up (every week) only about 1600 will even play a single match and as few as 500 will play the game to any meaningful extent.

 

Fact #4: The graphs given here for player population aren't really on the right scale to show the falling trend. They are far to short term and so any downward trend gets lost in the weekly, monthly, annual cycles. Note that in summer 2017 the 1-day population was over 60,000. By summer 2018 this had fallen to around 45,000. A plethora of earn ops managed to slow the rate of attrition but, despite this effort, by this summer the figure was consistently below 40,000 and recently came very close to falling below 30,000.

 

Fact #5: WG have discontinued the API, or at least stopped updating it, making it harder to get accurate figures. They also continue to buy the forum deeper and deeper into the website. Make what you will of these observations .

 

Best wishes,

Dr B.

 

 

I do not have complete monthly data sets for 2017

I do not have complete monthly data sets for 2017


Edited by RFCAN76, 12 November 2019 - 06:10 PM.

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."   

     Jean Baptiste Poquelin (1622 - 1673]       266 tanks in the garage as of 11/01//2019

:B  https://www.wgcommunityhub.com/gameguides

 

Spoiler Update 08/16/2019

 


CivilWarGoat #1672 Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 24270 battles
  • 1,034
  • [RED1]
  • Member since:
    11-09-2013

I have often felt like the numbers being posted where miss leading.  Cause when I play I notice 2 things are getting worse, queue times, and players playing during peak hours.  

 

No offense intended @those who crunch the numbers.  You guys to a great job.  



SPUK4U #1673 Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 10970 battles
  • 1,771
  • Member since:
    07-24-2018

View PostEl Materdor43, on 07 November 2019 - 05:34 AM, said:

I would like to see the source of this info. I’m hard pressed to believe 20K new players per week. 

 

A good attitude,  make your own math, don't believe what you read in internet. Go to your game stat page, look at URL you see a number there, it's your ID, now start increasing ID number until you find a player that has been 365 days in the game.  Now, keep increasing number until you find the newest account that has been in the game 1 day. Now you have two numbers and you know days between them. You can calculate how many accounts was created in day / week / month during past year.  So basically source is same that generates these tally reports, main web page stats.

 

For me, it's clear that this game needs to way to get those download to try the tanks and not just quit in the long and boring tutorial. 

I have to proposals that would help new account creator to get hooked into game.

1. Spectator view to random high tier battles ( one or two extra "dead" tankers would not cause huge load to the battle )

2. Instant action mode multiplayer battle with random tank (no stats to the account so that old players could also drop in)  Mode would start from tier 1 and if you win+survive, next battle would start from tier 2 and go up all the way to tier 5

 

 

 

 


Edited by SPUK4U, 12 November 2019 - 06:06 PM.

- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

Mr Crowley ll #1674 Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 23803 battles
  • 3,162
  • [CRPT]
  • Member since:
    02-22-2014

View PostDr Bodge, on 12 November 2019 - 07:42 AM, said:

Not stopping. Just passing through. Was curious about how the apocalypse is proceeding.

 

Fact #1: The game probably is gaining about 20K new accounts per week (in total). I am not interested in the PS version but the Xbox version gains a fairly predictable number each week of around 10-15K although this number is falling.

 

Fact #2: The number of new recruits is falling steadily. The monthly figures generally vary between about 35% to 50% down on 2018, which was (in total) down 30% on 2017, which was down 20% on 2016... The trend is very clear and stable, hence my original concerns (for those with very long memories).

 

Fact #3: Very few of the new accounts actually go on to play the game. A quick survey of 50 players who signed up a month ago showed that only 8 had played even a single game and only 4 had played more than 10. A long time ago I estimated the attachment rate (defined as those reaching 100 battles) had fallen to only 5% of new accounts. This suggests that of the 10,000 or so who are currently signing up (every week) only about 1600 will even play a single match and as few as 500 will play the game to any meaningful extent.

 

Fact #4: The graphs given here for player population aren't really on the right scale to show the falling trend. They are far to short term and so any downward trend gets lost in the weekly, monthly, annual cycles. Note that in summer 2017 the 1-day population was over 60,000. By summer 2018 this had fallen to around 45,000. A plethora of earn ops managed to slow the rate of attrition but, despite this effort, by this summer the figure was consistently below 40,000 and recently came very close to falling below 30,000.

 

Fact #5: WG have discontinued the API, or at least stopped updating it, making it harder to get accurate figures. They also continue to buy the forum deeper and deeper into the website. Make what you will of these observations .

 

Best wishes,

Dr B.

 


As we enter year 6 it is true there are times of the day where the player count can be too low to play.  Weekdays are mediocre but weekends are still decent and I expect this to continue this games 6th year.  Year 7 will probably be resigned to weekend play. Year 8 we’ll probably see mediocre weekends. Year 9 who knows. 
In that span of time you’ll have players who started playing WOT at time they were in college and will finish playing WOT while holding a controller in one hand and their first born in the other;) 
 

I don’t believe this games longevity can be viewed as anything but successful. 


 

 


El Materdor43 #1675 Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:54 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 33079 battles
  • 8,799
  • [HACKS]
  • Member since:
    03-02-2014

View PostSPUK4U, on 12 November 2019 - 01:01 PM, said:

 

A good attitude,  make your own math, don't believe what you read in internet. Go to your game stat page, look at URL you see a number there, it's your ID, now start increasing ID number until you find a player that has been 365 days in the game.  Now, keep increasing number until you find the newest account that has been in the game 1 day. Now you have two numbers and you know days between them. You can calculate how many accounts was created in day / week / month during past year.  So basically source is same that generates these tally reports, main web page stats.

 

For me, it's clear that this game needs to way to get those download to try the tanks and not just quit in the long and boring tutorial. 

I have to proposals that would help new account creator to get hooked into game.

1. Spectator view to random high tier battles ( one or two extra "dead" tankers would not cause huge load to the battle )

2. Instant action mode multiplayer battle with random tank (no stats to the account so that old players could also drop in)  Mode would start from tier 1 and if you win+survive, next battle would start from tier 2 and go up all the way to tier 5

 

 

 

 

My attitude is fine. When I see numbers like what you posted, I’m going to be skeptical. As I said in response to your first post, it’s very hard to believe the numbers because the overall player numbers don’t reflect any growth in either the short or long term. Hence my skepticism.  If there are 20K new players joining weekly, we are losing/not retaining 20K weekly. 


   

 

                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                 

 


scwirpeo #1676 Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:05 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 40633 battles
  • 11,176
  • [CRY]
  • Member since:
    02-14-2014

View PostMr Crowley ll, on 12 November 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:


As we enter year 6 it is true there are times of the day where the player count can be too low to play.  Weekdays are mediocre but weekends are still decent and I expect this to continue this games 6th year.  Year 7 will probably be resigned to weekend play. Year 8 we’ll probably see mediocre weekends. Year 9 who knows. 
In that span of time you’ll have players who started playing WOT at time they were in college and will finish playing WOT while holding a controller in one hand and their first born in the other;) 
 

I don’t believe this games longevity can be viewed as anything but successful. 

 

Much like a car yes it was successful it lasted this long. However just imagine what the population would be if CB had changed their oil regularly.

 

You can applaud mediocrity but in my vision this game succeeded based upon what CB was given, not what CB made of it. They made it this far based upon what was given to them and didn't make it farther because they chose not to take advantage of that success.

 

I prefer to look at what's wrong with the intention to fix it. I fix things for a living and going "well it works good enough atm" is a quick way to having something that's broken. More important than fixing what is broken is preventing the break in the first place.

 

 


MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

 


Mr Crowley ll #1677 Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 23803 battles
  • 3,162
  • [CRPT]
  • Member since:
    02-22-2014

View Postscwirpeo, on 12 November 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

 

Much like a car yes it was successful it lasted this long. However just imagine what the population would be if CB had changed their oil regularly.

 

You can applaud mediocrity but in my vision this game succeeded based upon what CB was given, not what CB made of it. They made it this far based upon what was given to them and didn't make it farther because they chose not to take advantage of that success.

 

I prefer to look at what's wrong with the intention to fix it. I fix things for a living and going "well it works good enough atm" is a quick way to having something that's broken. More important than fixing what is broken is preventing the break in the first place.

 

 


what’s the #1 change WOT could make and how would it change the course for years 6,7,8 etc?

 

I fix things for a living as well ;) Realized as a kid I had a gift for breathing life into things that were cast aside.

 


 

 


Warsteiner 1 #1678 Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:20 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 39334 battles
  • 1,758
  • [C-X-L]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2013

View PostMr Crowley ll, on 14 November 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:


what’s the #1 change WOT could make and how would it change the course for years 6,7,8 etc?

 

I fix things for a living as well ;) Realized as a kid I had a gift for breathing life into things that were cast aside.

 

 Very Very simple...….crossplatform play and new content on a REGULAR basis instead of a 6 month trickle. 


 

 


Mr Crowley ll #1679 Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 23803 battles
  • 3,162
  • [CRPT]
  • Member since:
    02-22-2014

View PostWarsteiner 1, on 14 November 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

 Very Very simple...….crossplatform play and new content on a REGULAR basis instead of a 6 month trickle. 


how would it impact year 6,7,8.  Make a prediction. 

 

Cross platform would herd in tighter the ever shrinking population but it’s been done before already with the consolidation of servers. On the content side what major content release is left?


 

 


Warsteiner 1 #1680 Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 39334 battles
  • 1,758
  • [C-X-L]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2013

View PostMr Crowley ll, on 14 November 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

Cross platform would herd in tighter the ever shrinking population but it’s been done before already with the consolidation of servers.


on the content side what major content release is left?

 

wheeled lights , british lights , Swedish mediums  , and lord knows what other mercenary stuff they can dream up , and of course maps that we probably will never see.

in an ongoing "live service" content is its life bloood. when content stops flowing regularly it starts to slowly die , like what we are currently witnessing. 

console devs seem to have little problem dreaming up stuff so new content shouldn't be as almost non-existent as it has been this past year. 


 

 





5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users