Jump to content


Historical Visuals - custom video setting


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Sentience #1 Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25179 battles
  • 825
  • [ARROW]
  • Member since:
    01-02-2016

I'd like to propose an selectable option, client side only, to re-skin special tanks in a random season appropriate camouflage of their nation. This would effectively make certain vehicles, like the Freedom and Motherland, look like their "regular" counterparts. (Standard Super Pershing, T-54 mod 1)

 

There's a notable number of players who do not like the look of flag tanks, promotional tanks, and anime tanks. These designs simply clash too much with the original PC version's aesthetic, and make their camouflage values laughable. (Flaming red IS-3A in wintertime)

 

For newer fantasy tanks, this would simply be a reskin using their nations (Japan) standard camouflage patterns.

 

This proposal would be a compromise, allowing those that like the more historic aesthetic of the game to enjoy the game, while not disturbing those that find value in unique looking tanks.


How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.


greyweasel UK #2 Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 17184 battles
  • 1,608
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013
I can get behind that. Question is, how would it be done? I mean that's the whole premise of visual mods right, changing out files for the client. It could be something you'd pay for, a fixed price? Acting like a ticket submission, naming the your chosen tanks, but the whole thing would need time & more man power on their part considering the amount of people who would into that, me included.

Naturally they could just offer a tank swap, as PC did for those who owned the Patriot for free. A stipulation for us being that the base tank is available at any one time, so that's the Fatherland out of that hypothetical loop for now.

Sentience #3 Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25179 battles
  • 825
  • [ARROW]
  • Member since:
    01-02-2016

For most tanks, it's not a complicated fix - just load the texture files from the base tank instead of the flag/GuP/whatever variant. No download needed. For certain tanks (like the VC ones and Fatherland), this would require an alternative texture file to be loaded in. No biggie - texture files are essentially image files dropped over the visual model. Since the visual model itself is not altered, this would be a relatively small update.

 

And again, since this would be a client side visual option, those that like seeing those tanks as intended can still do so, while the rest of us can see more aesthetically coherent versions.


How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.


greyweasel UK #4 Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 17184 battles
  • 1,608
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013
Yeah, just a straightforward ticket submission in that case. I mean I'd rather they monetize any other kind of method that allows for choice than the current selling of re-skinned clone tank method.

WJS Osiris #5 Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 15218 battles
  • 384
  • [HQ]
  • Member since:
    02-22-2014
yup this would work, i like this idea

DutchCupid62 #6 Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 11677 battles
  • 3,862
  • [NLPZR]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
This would cause problems with the Centennial because the sandbags count as spaced armor so you can't just make those invisible.


NLPZR Dutch clan recruitment thread:

http://forum-console...-clan-xbox-one/

 


Sentience #7 Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25179 battles
  • 825
  • [ARROW]
  • Member since:
    01-02-2016
The Centennial is fine. The sandbags are at least plausible, and the overall aesthetic was done tastefully, with appropriate subtle nods to historical precedent. 

How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.


Sentience #8 Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25179 battles
  • 825
  • [ARROW]
  • Member since:
    01-02-2016
Bumping, due to recent releases of the King Dragon and Warrior Panther.

How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.


Sentience #9 Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25179 battles
  • 825
  • [ARROW]
  • Member since:
    01-02-2016

I’m bumping this again.

 

Latest batch of Mercenary tanks are absurd. Those of us not interested in the look of these tanks are still forced to play alongside them. 


How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.


hmsmystic #10 Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:10 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 8025 battles
  • 654
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-24-2016

View PostSentience, on 13 November 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

I’m bumping this again.

 

Latest batch of Mercenary tanks are absurd. Those of us not interested in the look of these tanks are still forced to play alongside them. 

 

Sentience someone posted a similar idea in the General Discussion thread.  You have my vote!

Brute Bassie #11 Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:54 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 18963 battles
  • 278
  • Member since:
    09-22-2014
And mine. Words fail to describe how I hate these new childish abominations. This game is turning into a joke.

SauerKrapp #12 Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31120 battles
  • 2,155
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    03-14-2015

I kid a lot on this forum cause I see a lot of stupid things that make me laugh, so all kidding aside:

 

IMHO Wargaming would benefit greatly to put forth the effort to introduce a feature suggested by the OP that allows those of us that find the new Mercenary and fantasy paint schemes, AKA the "McDragon" and flag tanks to be changed to look like standard historical tanks. This would allow Wargaming to continue to produce the new Mercenary line and fantasy tanks that appeal to those that enjoy the new content and at the same time avoid discriminating against those of us that find the Mercenary and fantasy tanks offensive!!! They would be offering the best of both worlds and would come close to making everyone happy....I think they call that a WIN-WIN in the corporate world and that equates to MONEY!!!!

 

 


Edited by SauerKrapp, 14 November 2018 - 02:35 PM.

 

Signature by METALHELLIONx84

 


SauerKrapp #13 Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31120 battles
  • 2,155
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    03-14-2015

View PostSentience, on 18 June 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

I'd like to propose an selectable option, client side only, to re-skin special tanks in a random season appropriate camouflage of their nation. This would effectively make certain vehicles, like the Freedom and Motherland, look like their "regular" counterparts. (Standard Super Pershing, T-54 mod 1)

 

There's a notable number of players who do not like the look of flag tanks, promotional tanks, and anime tanks. These designs simply clash too much with the original PC version's aesthetic, and make their camouflage values laughable. (Flaming red IS-3A in wintertime)

 

For newer fantasy tanks, this would simply be a reskin using their nations (Japan) standard camouflage patterns.

 

This proposal would be a compromise, allowing those that like the more historic aesthetic of the game to enjoy the game, while not disturbing those that find value in unique looking tanks.

 

You should have put this under "General Discussion", not one of it's sub-forums. The traffic there is much higher.

 

Signature by METALHELLIONx84

 


Sentience #14 Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:16 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25179 battles
  • 825
  • [ARROW]
  • Member since:
    01-02-2016

View PostSauerKrapp, on 14 November 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

 

You should have put this under "General Discussion", not one of it's sub-forums. The traffic there is much higher.

 

Be my guest. Usually my threads in there don’t last too long before being buried on the second or later pages. I’m not a YouTube star or brand ambassador, so it never gets that many views anyway. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

How to fix game balance in a nutshell: Click here.

How to fix Mercenaries in a nutshell: Click here.

How to keep history buffs happy: Click here.

How to make clans relevant again: Click here.


MaxChaos24 #15 Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

    Gameplay Expert

  • Administrator
  • 11986 battles
  • 18,269
  • Member since:
    09-15-2013
Thanks, unfortunately tanks aren't just skins, it's the base paint and can't be replaced/removed. For other tanks, such as the recent ones mentioned, they are fully modeled with collision and armor, not something that could be changed visually even if it was possible. :honoring:

SauerKrapp #16 Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31120 battles
  • 2,155
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    03-14-2015

View PostMaxChaos24, on 14 November 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

Thanks, unfortunately tanks aren't just skins, it's the base paint and can't be replaced/removed. For other tanks, such as the recent ones mentioned, they are fully modeled with collision and armor, not something that could be changed visually even if it was possible. :honoring:

 

It's a virtual world.....figure it out.

 

Signature by METALHELLIONx84

 


CleverJoey1844 #17 Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 38487 battles
  • 778
  • [STDZ]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2015

View PostMaxChaos24, on 14 November 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

Thanks, unfortunately tanks aren't just skins, it's the base paint and can't be replaced/removed. For other tanks, such as the recent ones mentioned, they are fully modeled with collision and armor, not something that could be changed visually even if it was possible. :honoring:

 

Upon reading your statement and the subject it was covering. Is it possible to ask development to offer both? Same tanks just without make up, doubles the chance of monetary gain and does appeal to both yay and nay

CleverJoey1844 #18 Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 38487 battles
  • 778
  • [STDZ]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2015

View PostSauerKrapp, on 14 November 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

I kid a lot on this forum cause I see a lot of stupid things that make me laugh, so all kidding aside:

 

IMHO Wargaming would benefit greatly to put forth the effort to introduce a feature suggested by the OP that allows those of us that find the new Mercenary and fantasy paint schemes, AKA the "McDragon" and flag tanks to be changed to look like standard historical tanks. This would allow Wargaming to continue to produce the new Mercenary line and fantasy tanks that appeal to those that enjoy the new content and at the same time avoid discriminating against those of us that find the Mercenary and fantasy tanks offensive!!! They would be offering the best of both worlds and would come close to making everyone happy....I think they call that a WIN-WIN in the corporate world and that equates to MONEY!!!!

 

 

 

I very much agree with your statement. I'm not a fan boy but i do like WOT. Anything WG can do to make playerbase happy while continuing revenue sounds good to me. I want this game around for 4 more yrs

ACS138 #19 Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15665 battles
  • 530
  • Member since:
    10-25-2014
Max, my comment isn't constructive but these new Tank Girl tanks are garbage. Please remove.
"Be moderate in your temper, and unyielding in your principles. Or change your mind and yell about it"

Sparrowhawk1970 #20 Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:23 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 15534 battles
  • 489
  • [CAT-1]
  • Member since:
    12-22-2015
I was going to say "Shut up and take my money"' but after reading WGs response it seems they are not interested in that...




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users