New player experience vs veteran player

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Black RL #21 Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 55169 battles

View PostInboundBomb, on 14 July 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

I am currently helping a new player that struggles with the basics. If he gets hit by arty he asks why am I getting shot in the rear when no one is there. Hard to make him understand what is going on due to lack of knowledge of the game. He has made it to a tier 7 and that's making it worse.:(

Does he have a premium account? The economy starts to hit hard at tier 7/8......

Gotta catch them all! ^^

My hateful 4: Food a p2w mechanism, New player experience vs veteran player, Are overpowered premium tanks p2w? and Why World of Tanks can't shake off being perceived as a p2w game. About RNG: RNG affects the outcome of games, here's why. About broken tanks.

See what happens to your tank in real time when you use equipment, supplies or crew skills in tanks.gg

InboundBomb #22 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26760 battles
  • [-JTT-]
I don't think so. If he does he buys it monthly.

Black RL #23 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 55169 battles

Try to know, if he doesn't has premium account you should prepare him for the change in the economy. If he starts to like the game, once (twice?) per year there's a 50% deal for one year of premium account.

Edited by Black RL, 14 July 2017 - 03:22 PM.

Gotta catch them all! ^^

My hateful 4: Food a p2w mechanism, New player experience vs veteran player, Are overpowered premium tanks p2w? and Why World of Tanks can't shake off being perceived as a p2w game. About RNG: RNG affects the outcome of games, here's why. About broken tanks.

See what happens to your tank in real time when you use equipment, supplies or crew skills in tanks.gg

InboundBomb #24 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26760 battles
  • [-JTT-]
He is an older gentleman. War vet I believe and disabled. Very little income is coming in for him and so he plays this for enjoyment. He is well aware of the Black Friday special that will hopefully be coming up in November. It's frustrating but at the same time I'm glad that he is at least enjoying the game.

westmech #25 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3861 battles

View PostEamonnanChnoic, on 14 July 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yeah but people paid real money for Tier III and IV premium tanks.

They should be allowed to drive them or they should be given something in exchange if they are barred from driving them.

I agree they should be allowed to use them, I have a few of those premium tanks too. I don't recommend barring someone from playing them, but limiting the number of matches per day they could have in them. 

My issue is seeing someone with purple stats and over 10% of their games in tier 1 and 2 tanks. What's more important to the players, stroking their ego at low tiers or fostering a better player base?

killer etzi0 #26 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58701 battles
  • [47R]

View Postsumplkrum, on 14 July 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Very true. I'm sure most players are just buzzing around in their little tank, shooting whatever they can.
I imagine a lot of them think of it more like an RPG, where - if you grind enough mobs, you get to 'level up' to the next tank.

This is exactly how I approached the game when I first started playing. Grind, get xp, climb to next tier, wash-rinse-repeat. No real care-concern as to if I was doing it right or not. 

Edited by killer etzi0, 14 July 2017 - 03:43 PM.

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

Sgt Becket FEAR #27 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

To be fair, this game is pretty deceptive about how much actually goes into its mechanics.

A lot of things aren't really explained to new players...they basically just get dumped into it all.

It seems so straightforward at first but then you slowly figure out that there are things like angles, overmatch, MM, weakpoints that sometimes aren't obvious...etc.

Commander of Rosa "Queen of Hearts"

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

InboundBomb #28 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26760 battles
  • [-JTT-]

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 14 July 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

To be fair, this game is pretty deceptive about how much actually goes into its mechanics.

A lot of things aren't really explained to new players...they basically just get dumped into it all.

It seems so straightforward at first but then you slowly figure out that there are things like angles, overmatch, MM, weakpoints that sometimes aren't obvious...etc.

And fail platoons!

JaggedSine6 #29 Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles
Adding crew skill to the MM might help a little.
Stats? We don't need no stinking stats.

Black RL #30 Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 55169 battles

View PostInboundBomb, on 14 July 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

He is an older gentleman. War vet I believe and disabled. Very little income is coming in for him and so he plays this for enjoyment. He is well aware of the Black Friday special that will hopefully be coming up in November. It's frustrating but at the same time I'm glad that he is at least enjoying the game.

Harsh, I hope he has enough to get it by November, to make things easier till then you can advise him to stop after he unlocks the tier 8 and start a new line, rinse and repeat. When he finally gets the premium time he should be ready to attack that higher tiers!

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 14 July 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

So true, the much talked step learning curve.

View PostJaggedSine6, on 14 July 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

Adding crew skill to the MM might help a little.

There's an idea! Couldn't hurt try it out!

Gotta catch them all! ^^

Storm MD71 #31 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13976 battles
Great point OP about there are more veterans now for newbies to content with.

My first thought on reading the post was that the new players would have to find out the hard way and do the grinds - just like i had to 3 years ago, but your point made me realise that it's actually harder. When i started out, most of us didn't know what we were doing - sure there may have been some PC experienced players that were better than most, but the majority were just picking it up as we went along.
Now we have seal clubbers kitted up with all the loadouts you mention. Its not so much a steep learning curve, more a brick wall.

I seldom play below 5, my preferred tiers now are between 5 - 8. There are some great tanks from 5 onwards (M4 Sherman being my favourite) and would be hard to give up - but I'll certainly think about playing lower tiers less...

Good post - good points. Happy tanking

Storm MD71 #32 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13976 battles

My first thought on reading the post was that the new players would have to find out the hard way and do the grinds - just like i had to 3 years ago, but your point made me realise that it's actually harder. When i started out, most of us didn't know what we were doing - sure there may have been some PC experienced players that were better than most, but the majority were just picking it up as we went along.
Now we have seal clubbers kitted up with all the loadouts you mention. Its not so much a steep learning curve, more a brick wall.

I seldom play below 5, my preferred tiers now are between 5 - 8. There are some great tanks from 5 onwards (M4 Sherman being my favourite) and would be hard to give up - but I'll certainly think about playing lower tiers less...

TheRedBaron8888 #33 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:51 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11262 battles
I'm a new player only a couple thousand games, running into better players and better equiped tanks doesn't bother me i've enjoyed the challenge, getting 1 shot by artillery for 1300hp is annoying it's still not the worst, this game can be expensive or free if your a bit of a masochist! The biggest thing doing it's best to turn me off and stop playing is the community, getting pushed out of cover and off hills, being shoved because you are in somebodies favourite spot, then there is the constant hate mail! Your crap, your useless.Even when i got 7 kills and won the game for my team i get called a [edited] by the other team, so then you try and seek out info on the forums, 75 percent of the time the posts are negatives! All that does is make a new person not want to spend any money on a game that is dieing. Not everybody is willing persevere like i am. In every game i've done nothing other than try to play the game in the right way, people should be able to play the game however they want to.

Black RL #34 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 55169 battles

View PostStorm MD71, on 14 July 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

Thanks! Keep tanking commander! o7

Gotta catch them all! ^^

VKSheridan #35 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23287 battles

LOL, I spent over a thousand games in the T22 Proto to try to learn the mechanics as a solo noob before venturing into the higher tiers.  Once it became apparent that I was literally getting clubbed in that tank by platoons consisting of players with 30K+ games, I decided to move out of that tier as dying by a gang fight is a hard way to learn how to live.

At the time, I never considered a veteran would find any enjoyment tanking in a Level One Tier.  Reality proved my ignorance wrong.  The same stuff happened all through the tiers up.  It was only until Tier VIII did the playerbase seem to closer match the tanks.  Tier X is all over the place but if a noob climbs into that cage, they deserve any whooping that comes to them.

I think MM should use two levels in a Tier.  One for those with less than 2500 games in that tier and another for those that have more.  That will keep the baby seals from getting destroyed before they lose their milk teeth.  Yeah, it will make queue times a it longer but the queue will get just as long if not longer if the playerbase doesn't replenish....

Guru Bheeshma #36 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:25 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 19225 battles
Should WG add "Garage Tips" for tankers that are not using consumables or equipment's?

Black RL #37 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 55169 battles

View PostTheRedBaron8888, on 14 July 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

I'm a new player only a couple thousand games, running into better players and better equiped tanks doesn't bother me i've enjoyed the challenge, getting 1 shot by artillery for 1300hp is annoying it's still not the worst, this game can be expensive or free if your a bit of a masochist! The biggest thing doing it's best to turn me off and stop playing is the community, getting pushed out of cover and off hills, being shoved because you are in somebodies favourite spot, then there is the constant hate mail! Your crap, your useless.Even when i got 7 kills and won the game for my team i get called a [edited] by the other team, so then you try and seek out info on the forums, 75 percent of the time the posts are negatives! All that does is make a new person not want to spend any money on a game that is dieing. Not everybody is willing persevere like i am. In every game i've done nothing other than try to play the game in the right way, people should be able to play the game however they want to.

:(

Gotta catch them all! ^^

Black RL #38 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:14 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 55169 battles

View PostGuru Bheeshma, on 15 July 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

Should WG add "Garage Tips" for tankers that are not using consumables or equipment's?

One thing that is missing is stats changing when we had equipment or other things, just like the site provided in this thread. No need to be so complex, but it would help a lot!

Gotta catch them all! ^^

GardogOne #39 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21999 battles
  • [-NBD-]

View PostBlack RL, on 14 July 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Hi commanders! o7

Disclaimer: I use all things that I'm gonna talk about except food, so yeah, I guess I'm part of the problem, sorry newcomer when you finally reach this forum. Tanks.gg is the site used to show the examples.

In the light of all the discussion about population drops, a very real thing that is happening at an alarming rate (just like climate change), I wanted to show my fellow commanders what some newcomers face when they play World of Tanks.

I want to keep this simple, so let's choose a tier, let's say tier 5 because I think it's universal accepted as the tier that starts to incorporate all World of Tanks cool mechanics. Regarding lines let's choose 2 popular ones, maybe the T110E5 and the IS-7, so at tier 5 the new player is using the T1 Heavy and the KV-1 respectively.

In order to keep things simple let's pretend the newcomer already has the crew at 100% and has the last package, now let's pretend he faces a veteran in battle playing at the same tier (maybe grinding a M or marks, maybe seal clubbing, maybe just grinding xp, that's not the point), this is what he has to face:

T1 Heavy (final stage)

1,998.81 dpm

3.45 reload

2.21 aim time

330 view range

T1 Heavy used by veteran player with coated optics + vents + rammer + food + bia (I choose coated optics, but can be other equipment, just to make an example)

2,459.17 dpm (+ 460.36)

2.81 reload (- 0.64)

2.02 aim time (- 0.19)

391.29 view range (+ 61.29)

KV-1 (final stage)

2,002.29 dpm

4.79 reload

2.78 aim time

310 view range

KV-1 used by veteran player with coated optics + vents + rammer + food + bia (I choose coated optics, but can be other equipment, just to make an example)

2,463.44 dpm (+ 461.15)

3.90 reload (- 0.89)

2.55 aim time (- 0.23)

367.57 view range (+ 57.57)

As a bonus, here is what he faces when he gets + 2 mm, Tiger I used by veteran player with all the above stuff

2,757.59 dpm

5.22 reload

2.37 aim time

450.57 view range

And I'm not even considering sixth sense and experience, so, did the new player get outplayed just by skill? Can we even consider this tanks the same? How do you think the new player feels? Is this fair? What all of you think?

Note that there are way more veterans now than when the game started (thanks captain obvious!).

Just some food for thought fellow commanders.

And such is life!!  If you enter any profession (in the real world) this is what happens.  There is always someone better than you.  Called competition!  Has everyone become everything must be equal?  You are created equal, after that it is learning how to compete to become better.

Black RL #40 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:15 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 55169 battles

View PostGardogOne, on 15 July 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

And such is life!!  If you enter any profession (in the real world) this is what happens.  There is always someone better than you.  Called competition!  Has everyone become everything must be equal?  You are created equal, after that it is learning how to compete to become better.

Evolution, competition, survival of the fittest and all that!

But my main goal was to point out how the same tool is so different when enhanced, how veterans have better tools.

Gotta catch them all! ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users