New player experience vs veteran player

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Killer91Rock #81 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3252 battles

It's been quite a while since I'm playing but still I'll never consider myself as a good player as with all of this time playing I didn't got my first Tier X yet and just bought my first tier VIII (IS-3).

I don't feel like the game has problems with veterans vs. new comers because everytime I play, something go wrong, mistakes are made every match and all the xp goes to the trash. I still don't know yet what equipment should I use with which tank and find them really expensive as I don't grind for those glorious marks of excellence, (but I got one on the T34-85. Very proud of it!) and because of that many of my tanks don't have any equipment.

Veterans have their advantages but new comers HAVE to learn from them even if it takes years as in my case. 

UnceasingFour51 #82 Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

Staff sergeant

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 40666 battles

View Postwestmech, on 14 July 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

The improvements to the Proving Grounds was a good start. 

Veterans just need to play tier 5 and above. In this case I find its more up to the players to make the changes than for WG to implement something 

Veteran Players sticking  to tier V and above is really not the right answer here, Because the new players will only learn by facing the more experienced players, and besides that nothing stops the new players from screwing up the upper tiers by buying their way into tier VIII premium tanks and really screwing up the game. 

pingwrx #83 Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24331 battles
  • [REDIT]

View PostKiller91Rock, on 24 July 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

It's been quite a while since I'm playing but still I'll never consider myself as a good player as with all of this time playing I didn't got my first Tier X yet and just bought my first tier VIII (IS-3).

I don't feel like the game has problems with veterans vs. new comers because everytime I play, something go wrong, mistakes are made every match and all the xp goes to the trash. I still don't know yet what equipment should I use with which tank and find them really expensive as I don't grind for those glorious marks of excellence, (but I got one on the T34-85. Very proud of it!) and because of that many of my tanks don't have any equipment.

Veterans have their advantages but new comers HAVE to learn from them even if it takes years as in my case.

Your just starting out theres no rush I didn't get a tier X until 7k battles still didn't have a clue how to use it

desert000fox #84 Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:48 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 34484 battles
  • [JOCO]

Being a veteran means that you don't "panic" when faced with adverse situations.

Like being in say a tier 6 medium in a tier 8 battle were there are a lot of nasty tanks. You work out how to get the best out of the situation you find yourself in. You play as an annoying plinker TD in this type of battle, you try to last to the end knowing that you can get some easy shots in on low health tanks. You shoot from the side or rear. You shoot at weak spots. Relocate after a shot or two...don't be afraid to run away. Where as if you are mid to top teir, you are a bit more aggressive, you'll go head to head, one on one with a tank etc.. 

A previous poster said it well. Situational awareness is a key component in this game.

Storm MD71 #85 Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13978 battles

The key difference between new players starting now and from when 'we' veterans started, is the volume of experiance and tank equipment/advantage that the new players are up against. Its not a fair comparison to say that they have to persevere and learn the game 'like we had to' - because we learnt the game on a more level playing field - there wasn't a lot of experienced players, a majority of players developed at the same pace, tiered up and purchased equipment around the same time.

At the launch there wasn't a number of features that we have now - i.e. crews skills/perks, we didn't have to content with this - now its a big advantage to those that have, against those that don't. 

Because we were on a more level playing field it meant that most players could have 'one of those battles' - (which is the reason many of us are hooked) - now days the new players are up against it and those moments are fewer and far between. This means less fun (no one likes to be back in the garage 2 minutes after starting) - so this can equate to less new players willing to stick with it.

Glad I'm 3 years in - wouldn't want to be starting out now... 

happy tanking

KingBorisDantas #86 Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 669 battles

View PostStorm MD71, on 26 July 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

The key difference between new players starting now and from when 'we' veterans started, is the volume of experiance and tank equipment/advantage that the new players are up against. Its not a fair comparison to say that they have to persevere and learn the game 'like we had to' - because we learnt the game on a more level playing field - there wasn't a lot of experienced players, a majority of players developed at the same pace, tiered up and purchased equipment around the same time.

At the launch there wasn't a number of features that we have now - i.e. crews skills/perks, we didn't have to content with this - now its a big advantage to those that have, against those that don't. 

Because we were on a more level playing field it meant that most players could have 'one of those battles' - (which is the reason many of us are hooked) - now days the new players are up against it and those moments are fewer and far between. This means less fun (no one likes to be back in the garage 2 minutes after starting) - so this can equate to less new players willing to stick with it.

Glad I'm 3 years in - wouldn't want to be starting out now... 

happy tanking

​I am 3 years in and a beta tester-although my tag is new here since I just started playing on the PS4 5 days ago. It is harder for newer players, because as you said, there are so many new things such as skills that are in the game now compared to 3+ years ago. Starting out new on the PS4, I do not have all the trained crews, silver, etc. that I have on the xbox-but I do have the experience of how to play compared to the new players. That is the reason that in 5 days, starting from scratch and receiving the PS4 Dunkirk add-on tier 3 premium tank, going through the tutorials, the training that is given to new players (if they use the training rather than going directly to battles) and receiving the gold and silver for doing the training and tutorials, I received 1000 gold, silver for the training, and worked my way up to 2 tier 3 tech tree tanks to do the Dunkirk OP. I finished getting the British Sexton using just 2 German tech tree tier 3 tanks (Marder II TD and PZ IIIA light) and the premium medium German tier 3 tank in 5 days only playing 2-3 hours each day. I did notice I was put into the majority of battles as the lowest tier tank (often only 2-3 tier 3 tanks to each side in tier 5 battles) and I did notice there were MANY tankers who were at those low tiers with 1-2 years of playing and thousands of battles (checked their stats). This would have been very demoralizing for me if I had just started playing but I already had the experience so I knew what to do and expect compared to a new player so I was able to do very well, but cannot expect the same from new players.

Maybe WG should put new players (ranked by battles fought) into a different queue from more experienced players-say 300 battles, or MAKE them go through the training and tutorials (the bots on the tutorials do play like most players-ramming you, blocking and pushing you from your spot) with at least a 100 battles  playing proving grounds and then another 200 at or below tier 3 before going into the general populous.

Storm MD71 #87 Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13978 battles

View PostKingBorisDantas, on 26 July 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

​I am 3 years in and a beta tester-although my tag is new here since I just started playing on the PS4 5 days ago. It is harder for newer players, because as you said, there are so many new things such as skills that are in the game now compared to 3+ years ago. Starting out new on the PS4, I do not have all the trained crews, silver, etc. that I have on the xbox-but I do have the experience of how to play compared to the new players. That is the reason that in 5 days, starting from scratch and receiving the PS4 Dunkirk add-on tier 3 premium tank, going through the tutorials, the training that is given to new players (if they use the training rather than going directly to battles) and receiving the gold and silver for doing the training and tutorials, I received 1000 gold, silver for the training, and worked my way up to 2 tier 3 tech tree tanks to do the Dunkirk OP. I finished getting the British Sexton using just 2 German tech tree tier 3 tanks (Marder II TD and PZ IIIA light) and the premium medium German tier 3 tank in 5 days only playing 2-3 hours each day. I did notice I was put into the majority of battles as the lowest tier tank (often only 2-3 tier 3 tanks to each side in tier 5 battles) and I did notice there were MANY tankers who were at those low tiers with 1-2 years of playing and thousands of battles (checked their stats). This would have been very demoralizing for me if I had just started playing but I already had the experience so I knew what to do and expect compared to a new player so I was able to do very well, but cannot expect the same from new players.

Maybe WG should put new players (ranked by battles fought) into a different queue from more experienced players-say 300 battles, or MAKE them go through the training and tutorials (the bots on the tutorials do play like most players-ramming you, blocking and pushing you from your spot) with at least a 100 battles  playing proving grounds and then another 200 at or below tier 3 before going into the general populous.

lots of good points and WG certainly has several play mode options available to help retain new players. I'd like to see the player base increase to support the longevity of the great game.

SlavicHammer187 #88 Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11526 battles

I mean , yes, but many people don't even care about these slight increases in performance. The average schlomo isn't a competitive gamer and really what is a .7s faster reload going to do for a person who plays a couple nights a week......

I'll equate this to my other hobby, shooting in pistol matches (self defense combat type shooting) , you have guys with $4,000 match guns who practice a lot.....yes, they are "paying to win" in a way.....but there are other highly skilled shooters with expensive guns too.   But, here I come in with my $200 Ruger 9mm and "solid but not expert" skills and I have scores just below the "Master P2W" shooters and at times I'm just below, or even , sometimes they have an "off match" and I out aahoot them with my "non fully upgraded" gun.    Unless you're a pro or super serious these advantages aren't Earth shaking vs. The guy who just likes to shoot and scores are "whatever", or the guy who just likes to Tank and isn't concerned with dominating every match.

I earned my only Radley in a T-150 with a crew that wasn't even 100%, no skills, no equipment.....I just had a game where I was dialed in and caught some of the "pros" sleeping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users