• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Sgt Becket FEAR #1 Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

Good evening everyone!

So, I learned a little fun fact today. The Wolverine has a special place in history. An American soldier used one that was abandoned to hold off multiple German soldiers and 6 Panzer tanks. Ultimately, his actions earned him the Medal of Honor!

Apparently, it was the subject of a movie after the war too.

http://www.audiemurphy.com/places015.htm

Commander of Rosa "Queen of Hearts"

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

Sadriel Fett #2 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 28229 battles

Audie Murphy was the man.  If you ever get the chance, watch the WWII movie "To Hell and Back."  It stars Audie Murphy playing.....Audie Murphy.  That had to be kind of weird for him.  Audie Murphy was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II, receiving every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism.

No small feat, to be sure.

~ "This game would be great, if it wasn't for our teammates." ~

~ There's no such thing as Arty Safe. You have to play Arty Aware. You have to play SmArty. ~

Sgt Becket FEAR #3 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostSadriel Fett, on 14 July 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Audie Murphy was the man.  If you ever get the chance, watch the WWII movie "To Hell and Back."  It stars Audie Murphy playing.....Audie Murphy.  That had to be kind of weird for him.  Audie Murphy was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II, receiving every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism.

Didn't know he was that much of a bada**.

Granted, earning the Medal of Honor is an extraordinary feat to begin with. I didn't know he was that decorated though.

That's awesome!! ^_^

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

Elite Corsair #4 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 30144 battles
  • [IRON]
Not to belittle Audie Murphy or the brave stand he took, but how does a single .50 cal mg hold back 6 panzers?

Sgt Becket FEAR #5 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostElite Corsair, on 14 July 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

Not to belittle Audie Murphy or the brave stand he took, but how does a single .50 cal mg hold back 6 panzers?

The Germans scored a direct hit on an M10 tank destroyer, setting it alight, forcing the crew to abandon it. Murphy ordered his men to retreat to positions in the woods, remaining alone at his post, shooting his M1 carbine and directing artillery fire via his field radio while the Germans aimed fire directly at his position.

Murphy mounted the abandoned, burning tank destroyer and began firing its machine gun at the advancing Germans, killing a squad crawling through a ditch towards him.For an hour, Murphy stood on the flaming tank destroyer returning German fire from foot soldiers and advancing tanks, killing or wounding 50 Germans. He sustained a leg wound during his stand, and stopped only after he ran out of ammunition.Murphy rejoined his men, disregarding his own injury, and led them back to repel the Germans.

He insisted on remaining with his men while his wounds were treated.For his actions that day, he was awarded the Medal of Honor. The 3rd Infantry Division was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions at the Colmar Pocket, giving Murphy a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster for the emblem.

Elite Corsair #6 Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 30144 battles
  • [IRON]

View PostElite Corsair, on 14 July 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

I am assuming that the tanks were pz IVs as they were the most common on all fronts in 1944. Can an M2 Browning penetrate the armor of a pz. IV? Or was something else helping to hold back the armor?

Sgt Becket FEAR #7 Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostElite Corsair, on 15 July 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

I am assuming that the tanks were pz IVs as they were the most common on all fronts in 1944. Can an M2 Browning penetrate the armor of a pz. IV? Or was something else helping to hold back the armor?

He was directing artillery fire from his position and drawing the enemy fire while his men retreated.

toxicinbound #8 Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7519 battles

View PostElite Corsair, on 15 July 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

A lot of the German infantry was killed, so the tanks didn't want to move up due to the lack of infantry support. Because they could get flanked and bazooka'd without infantry by them. Also, I believe there was a tiger and some Panzer 4s. not sure though.

"First in the line of fire, first into hostile land, tanks leading the way, LEADING THE WAYYYYY!!!!!!"

-Sabaton, Song: Ghost division

Snorelacks #9 Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27388 battles
  • [BNKR]

Two others who won the CMH while manning machine guns on the top of armored vehicles-

Iraq- SFC Paul Ray Smith- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ray_Smith

WWII (Germany)- PFC Mike Colalillo- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Colalillo

Ogre4Hire #10 Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7388 battles

View PostSadriel Fett, on 14 July 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

The movie actually downplays events.  Audie's actual heroics were so impressive that the movie producers were afraid that audiences would find them unrealistic.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Sgt Becket FEAR #11 Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostSnorelacks, on 23 July 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Two others who won the CMH while manning machine guns on the top of armored vehicles-

Iraq- SFC Paul Ray Smith- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ray_Smith

WWII (Germany)- PFC Mike Colalillo- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Colalillo

Thank you for posting these! :great:

Snorelacks #12 Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27388 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 23 July 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Thank you for posting these! :great:

You bet. Reading your post just jogged my memory of the other two. I've actually read PFC Mike Colalillo's original CMH citation at the Richard Bong Veteran's Historical Center in Superior Wisconsin. It was on display along with Richard Bong's CMH citation and medal, a pilot who flew P-38s during WWII in the Pacific. Both he and Richard Bong are from a small area in the Northern MN and Northern WI area about 30 miles apart.

Richard Bong- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bong

Sgt Becket FEAR #13 Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostSnorelacks, on 23 July 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

You bet. Reading your post just jogged my memory of the other two. I've actually read PFC Mike Colalillo's original CMH citation at the Richard Bong Veteran's Historical Center in Superior Wisconsin. It was on display along with Richard Bong's CMH citation and medal, a pilot who flew P-38s during WWII in the Pacific. Both he and Richard Bong are from a small area in the Northern MN and Northern WI area about 30 miles apart.

Richard Bong- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bong

Cool :)

Snorelacks #14 Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27388 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 23 July 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

Cool :)

So many amazing acts of heroism...and these are only the ones we know about.

Sgt Becket FEAR #15 Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostSnorelacks, on 23 July 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

So many amazing acts of heroism...and these are only the ones we know about.

Indeed.

Most heroes are simply forgotten by history unfortunately.

CATPIG DEADCAT #16 Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30381 battles
How About A -Hero USA M10 -Flag Tank
Thank You. WG Team

ElCrazyMexDeuce #17 Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:43 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26649 battles

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 15 July 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

He was directing artillery fire from his position and drawing the enemy fire while his men retreated.

I read the book about him a very long ago, if I remember correctly, it was also named "To Hell and Back" and was published by Bantam books as a TPB. One of the things I remembered reading in the book was that the Germans did not know where the fire was coming from because the tank Murphy was on was burning and they expected the ordnance on the burning tank was going to "cook off" at any moment and they couldn't imagine someone would be crazy enough to be on it; therefore they assumed the fire was coming from a different location. Again, I read that book when I was in my teens, in Jr. high school and an avid military buff. I am now 55 and the rest goes without saying right? :playing: lol

P.S. that same book stated that he was initially turned down by the Marines because of his size. Never judge the fight in a man based on his height .... lol.

Edited by ElCrazyMexDeuce, 25 April 2018 - 05:44 AM.

SuperSherman44 #18 Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21794 battles
In the movie I am pretty sure that the knocked out tank is a Sherman but it should be a M10

I Heart The Sherman (Best tank of WWII)

I got a new Xbox One S so I'm really excited!

R.I.P. Xbox 360 E ~2014-2019

Sgt Becket FEAR #19 Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostSuperSherman44, on 20 December 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

In the movie I am pretty sure that the knocked out tank is a Sherman but it should be a M10

Yeah...he actually complained during the filming but they could not find a M10 in time to correct the mistake.

steelheadclan #20 Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15580 battles
  • [REAL]

View PostCATPIG DEADCAT, on 25 October 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

How About A -Hero USA M10 -Flag Tank
Thank You. WG Team

That would be cool. 

I liked playing the wolverine. 

That extra spotting range over the T67 easily compensated for its slower speed. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users