For those considering getting the M4 Rev.

Thread. Review

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

R35T NO MORE #1 Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12548 battles
  • [BNKR-]

I haven't got the Rev but i have an M51 and they're near as damn identical gameplay wise it seems (except the Rev has a more powerful engine which helps it alot- edit due to info from a forumer in the posts) so here's a brief guide/review. 

M4 Rev/M51 review.

Both are tier 8 French mediums that have full MM, so they face tier X. They both have 390m view range and 750m signal range. The hull is the same as that found on the mid tier Shermans and the armour protection is about as useful as wet paper. Mobility wise they are similar to their mid tier variants, topping out at around 40kph cand climbing hills well, but they aren't suited to circling other tanks due to the reload time, doing so gets you killed. However the awful armour and average mobility isn't the appeal of the tank..

The 390 avg dmg 105mm gun is. The gun gets a very nice -10 degrees of gun depression, and fires APCR as standard, meaning the shell velocity is amazing. The average pen is 200 which is a little low compared to the other tier 8 premium mediums, and the HEAT has an average 250mm of pen, which again is beaten by some other tier 8 mediums.

However this gun does 390 avg dmg, compared to their 220-240-ish averages. With that in mind, i try to compare it to guns like the Soviet D-25t that is equipped on their hard hitting heavies, that does similar damage, with far worse handling, and only gets 175mm pen on the AP and 217mm on the premium shell. By comparison the Sherman has great pen and handling stats, on a mobile platform.

The M4 Rev/M51 has an aiming time of 2.4 and accuracy of .35, which isn't bad at all for the gun and with rammer and BiA the reload is around 10 seconds. This reload, coupled with the large size and complete lack of armour, means the tank is a support tank, frontline combat is not advised. There's a bonus to the 10 second reload, it's the same amount of time that it takes for you to become undetected after firing, so unlike the mid tier shermans you aren't having to stay exposed to do damage. You fire, get to cover, wait patiently, end up undetected, then fire again. Be careful though..

Reds like to focus on the tank as it's an easy pen, and i've had E-75s happily let greens shoot it in the side whilst it stares at my last known position, just sitting there so it can fire when it next sees me. This is frustrating yet can also be useful, as you can have a direct role in taking out an enemy tank without even firing a shot. If you do get hit, expect to lose a module or crew member. This tank does not hold up well under enemy fire. 

With that in mind, be patient. Just because you have a shell loaded, doesn't mean you should take a shot if there is a high possibility that you will get hit doing so. Choose your targets carefully. Only engage distracted targets. You don't want to be in a fight where you have an enemies full attention. Due to that, i run the tank with rammer, vert stabs and optics and i try to keep a bit of distance between myself and the reds. You could say a light tank playstyle works well, engage distracted targets at range, then in the late stages of the game, go hunting, the only diffence being you will use alpha instead of dpm to kill the remaining tanks. 

I've found this tactic works well, and although i sometimes only get 6 shots in and feel like it was a bad game, 6 shots gets you over 2k dmg with this tank which exceeds the 1750 expected damage for purple. 

One last thing, as the premium shell is HEAT, only use it against flat, un-spaced armour or it's useless. I tend to aim for shots through enemy tanks drive wheels with AP over using HEAT. It comes in use against things like KV-4s, T28s, E4s etc though. Just don't try to engage an E-75 or E-100 frontally, regardless of ammo choice, you will die. 

Credit to Violet Viper x for the great sig.

Come check out The Bunker, the alternative WoTforum

My Chieftain review

JesterUSMC #2 Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12730 battles
  • [BNKR]
Reported for making a tank review.

Semper Fi

Check out The Bunker : http://thebunker.freeforums.net/

ETA to return to the the forum from my "vacation" - TBD

Turbo_RB20 #3 Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 719 battles
M4 Rev is better. I own both and the Rev has better dispersion values and accelerates faster so you can move backward and forward, faster. It also doesn't struggle as much up hills. I love my M51, but the rev is far superior.

Leader of _MLG_ "Mostly Loading Gold"     WOT console streamer. twitch.tv/unknownxdr1ft3r

Hobbit Rampage #4 Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 44276 battles
  • [HKC]

View PostTurbo_RB20, on 12 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

M4 Rev is better. I own both and the Rev has better dispersion values and accelerates faster so you can move backward and forward, faster. It also doesn't struggle as much up hills. I love my M51, but the rev is far superior.

Acceleration edge over any other aspect, every time.

R35T NO MORE #5 Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12548 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostJesterUSMC, on 12 August 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

:ohmy: 

View PostTurbo_RB20, on 12 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

Ok, fair enough, not going to lie that is a tad annoying as the M51 wasn't cheap.. gameplay style is still the same though :P i edited the OP to add the difference between the two tanks thanks for clarifying. 

My Chieftain review

ScottRey97 #6 Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13302 battles
You ain't lying about the losing crew thing. Got hit for like 50 damage from a fail platoon defiance Matilda, and I lost my commander. :angry:
WZ7xhYN.jpg

R35T NO MORE #7 Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12548 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostScottRey97, on 12 August 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

You ain't lying about the losing crew thing. Got hit for like 50 damage from a fail platoon defiance Matilda, and I lost my commander. :angry:

It really does feel like any tiny little hit will knock out a module or crew member. It's my biggest problem with the tank, other than the light tank-esque focus fire. 

My Chieftain review

Turbo_RB20 #8 Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 719 battles

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 12 August 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

:ohmy: 

Ok, fair enough, not going to lie that is a tad annoying as the M51 wasn't cheap.. gameplay style is still the same though :P i edited the OP to add the difference between the two tanks thanks for clarifying. 

I'm a little irritated that WG fooled us all into thinking the M51 was the Rev we were getting, then releases the real Rev later on which is far better, and gives it away for free. Absolute horse sh....... Because of the better handling gun and mobility, you can take more risky snapshots without trading damage. It allows you to do so much better. The M51 is only good as a pure sniper. I love both of them, but the M4 Rev IS the better of the two. And I wouldn't say that they play the same. You need to be more cautious and passive with the M51. I feel I can be more aggressive with the M4 Rev because of the better acceleration. When the poo hits the fan, you have the better accel to retreat. I love the M51 for how it looks, but it needs to be like the Rev. There's nothing that makes it worth driving over the Rev aside from a collectors standpoint. If you'd like, I can do a live video comparison on twitch later today? 

Leader of _MLG_ "Mostly Loading Gold"     WOT console streamer. twitch.tv/unknownxdr1ft3r

ScottRey97 #9 Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13302 battles

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 12 August 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

It really does feel like any tiny little hit will knock out a module or crew member. It's my biggest problem with the tank, other than the light tank-esque focus fire. 

it's the slowest thing I've played with no armour.

Scratch that, I played the Type 95

WZ7xhYN.jpg

R35T NO MORE #10 Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12548 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostTurbo_RB20, on 12 August 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

I'm a little irritated that WG fooled us all into thinking the M51 was the Rev we were getting, then releases the real Rev later on which is far better, and gives it away for free. Absolute horse sh....... Because of the better handling gun and mobility, you can take more risky snapshots without trading damage. It allows you to do so much better. The M51 is only good as a pure sniper. I love both of them, but the M4 Rev IS the better of the two. And I wouldn't say that they play the same. You need to be more cautious and passive with the M51. I feel I can be more aggressive with the M4 Rev because of the better acceleration. When the poo hits the fan, you have the better accel to retreat. I love the M51 for how it looks, but it needs to be like the Rev. There's nothing that makes it worth driving over the Rev aside from a collectors standpoint. If you'd like, I can do a live video comparison on twitch later today? 

That was annoying. I remember someone asking if the Rev and Scorpion were going to be added and he said start of summer for the Rev and toward the end of summer for the Scorpion, so when the M51 released, thought they had done a Motherland/Glory/Fatherland and just added a reskin and that was that, it was near the start of summer so fit the timeline he stated. Very, very shady way to do business. 

A comparison would be good to see, thanks. 

My Chieftain review

EamonnanChnoic #11 Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

View PostJesterUSMC, on 12 August 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

If he gets suspended for making a tank review about lag while naming and shaming his ISP would it be the ultimate forum meme?

PS4 (current) Xbox (retired)

I love Light Tanks

DerailedWingnut #12 Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18606 battles
  • [WLPK]

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 12 August 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

The hull is the same as that found on the mid tier Shermans and the armour protection is about as useful as wet paper. Mobility wise they are similar to their mid tier variants, topping out at around 40kph and climbing hills well, but they aren't suited to circling other tanks due to the reload time, doing so gets you killed. However the awful armour and average mobility isn't the appeal of the tank.

Am I right in assuming it's like the Firefly's big brother?

Check out the Bunker: HTTPS://TheBunker.FreeForums.Net

Mastery 99% Mastery 95 % Mastery 80% Mastery 50% All Nation Tanks Elite Italics = Grinding * = Marks Of Excellence

yoyobambam #13 Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25503 battles
  • [DG]
It actually sounds like a Charioteer with less speed but some gun depression.

R35T NO MORE #14 Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12548 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostDerailedWingnut, on 12 August 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

Am I right in assuming it's like the Firefly's big brother?

Yeah kind of, you want to play it in a similar way, but you get to make use of more of the map due to the far better gun depression. 

My Chieftain review

Also tagged with Thread., Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users