Welcome, tanker!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Serpia WG #1 Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 2346 battles
  • [ONE]

Hello, tanker and welcome on the forums!
This section was created especially for those who are new to the game to answer your questions and to help to find some new friends. 

Here are a few important links for you:
1. Newcomers guides
Here are some awesome guides we`ve gathered for you to read and watch! Also be sure to check the Game basics section!  
2. If you have any problem with the game, please, be sure to submit a ticket here and our awesome support team will help you! 

Advice for Getting Started, please, try our new PVE mode: War Stories. 

We have a few social media channels:

1. Xbox Game Club "World of Tanks Official Tournaments" and PS4 Communities "World of Tanks (Wargaming)".

2. Facebook page

3. Twitter account

Feel free to create a separate thread in this section for your question or simply add a comment right here and be sure to find some friends on the forums ;) 

Important:

That forum section is for new players only, who have less than 2000 battles! All threads created by more experienced players will be moved to another forum sections. 

This section is under more strict moderation. Please, be polite and respectful.

Gallant Prime #2 Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 44683 battles
  • [47R]

Looks good Serpia! 

For the new tankers, if I can be of any help with your questions, just let me know.  Just post your question or send a personal message (PM) by hovering over my avatar picture until the box comes up and then click on send message.  I'm generally on the forum a couple times a week and, if I don't know the answer right off the bat, I'm pretty good at finding it. 

DarkPeterParker #3 Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14557 battles
  • [BNKR]
Just as Gallant Prime explained, by all means send a message if you have any questions about the game or navigating the forums. I'm on here daily, so I will absolutely see it. If I don't get to you within the day, you'll get a response the next. Always happy to help. :)

emperordennis #4 Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]

Good to see the return of the Newcomers Section!

Just like my fellow players above me, please ask any questions you have about this game and/or the forums! It can be very confusing and there are many players willing to give you some tips to help you get a better understanding.

I'm from Europe myself so those who post in the European afternoon/evening have a good chance of getting a quick reply from me. Otherwise I have no doubt the other will do it a bit later.

Very good guide: Beta582's Guide to Everything

All WoT Console tank characteristics (including hidden stats): WoT Console Encyclopedia

El Materdor43 #5 Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32634 battles
  • [HACKS]

View PostGallant Prime, on 07 September 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Looks good Serpia! 

For the new tankers, if I can be of any help with your questions, just let me know.  Just post your question or send a personal message (PM) by hovering over my avatar picture until the box comes up and then click on send message.  I'm generally on the forum a couple times a week and, if I don't know the answer right off the bat, I'm pretty good at finding it. 

This

If you have questions about things, send a message. Most here are helpful and should be able to provide an answer. 

Welcome 

acidfiend #6 Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

First lieutenant

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 10010 battles
  • [HQ]
I'm also here to help out if you guys need anything.  I suppose my specialty would be premium tanks so if you have any questions or you are looking for some opinions, message me and I'll try and help you out.

millomborn #7 Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9051 battles
Hey, a noob here ... Just thought I'd post to say hi... Break the ice for myself.... I've been playing for around a month or so .... Got around 500 battles so far... So I'm still quite fresh. I'm running an M5 Stuart, Matilda, covenanter and the M3 Lee (not so much the Lee as I'm finding it awkward) and I'm having lots of fun ! Awesome game ... And free! Anyway I just wanted to get a post in as I've been noseing around the forum (research) for a little while and wanted to open my mouth 

emperordennis #8 Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

Captain

• Ambassador
  • 16368 battles
  • [THE]

View Postmillomborn, on 20 September 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

Hey, a noob here ... Just thought I'd post to say hi... Break the ice for myself.... I've been playing for around a month or so .... Got around 500 battles so far... So I'm still quite fresh. I'm running an M5 Stuart, Matilda, covenanter and the M3 Lee (not so much the Lee as I'm finding it awkward) and I'm having lots of fun ! Awesome game ... And free! Anyway I just wanted to get a post in as I've been noseing around the forum (research) for a little while and wanted to open my mouth 

Welcome to the forum millomborn. Good to see you're already joining the community after 500 battles!

As far as the Lee goes, almost everyone says they dislike the tank due to its awkwardness. But the tanks that come after are much better! 

Very good guide: Beta582's Guide to Everything

All WoT Console tank characteristics (including hidden stats): WoT Console Encyclopedia

millomborn #9 Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9051 battles

Thanks for the welcome Dennis!

At the moment I'm grinding with these Tier IV tanks (obviously I've followed the British and American lines so far) ..... I've found that this tier is where the tanks seem to get more fun...(although, I still have my Ltraktor and enjoy running around in that too). I did have a variety of tanks until I got to this tier where I think you kind of have to start to use only a few tanks to train crew etc

I do have some questions to ask ... some about gold .... or essentially getting on without using it.

And adding and removing equipment ...... essentially when its removed is it now gone or can I keep it like unused consumables?

Anyway, this probably isn't the right place for such questions .... if I can be pointed in the right place .... that would be awesome.

thanks again

JelliedPenny08 #10 Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15759 battles

View Postmillomborn, on 20 September 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

Welcome to the forum, have a +1 to get you on your way!  :)

The M3 Lee can be an awkward tank to get used to, because it handles more like a tank destroyer. The gun on it is really good, but you can't move it much side to side. Until you get used to it, try to keep a little more distance between you and your target so that you have to move the whole tank a bit less. Don't worry though, you will get used to it and although it seems like hard work it is worth it to unlock the Shermans and heavies that come after it in the line. It is a good choice to start with because it unlocks several lines in the Tech Tree. Can I also recommend trying to unlock the British Grant at the same time? They are very similar and I quite enjoyed playing the Grant after the Lee because I had become used to it by then. 

I played free for a long time - to do it you want to spend as little gold as possible. There are ways to do this, gold only really saves you time.

First thing, only spend gold when you absolutely have to, so think about each decision before you do it and what you're trying to achieve. 

Next, get gold. If you do the tutorials (I think they are in Proving Grounds game mode) you can unlock gold there. It is a limited amount and once you've done them all that is it, so use it wisely. You used to get about 1000 in total I think. You can really make this last. 

Spending gold - you can use it for many things, but don't need to. You can buy premium time, but that will burn through it and then you'll need more. You can buy premium tanks, these earn either more silver or train crews faster. However you unlock a Combat Car starting the game and premium tanks are occasionally given away during Operations and at Christmas - so be patient and use those instead. Never sell your premium tanks, if you have you can get them back cheaply through support, but ask how first. Check in the web store as there was a Dunkirk bundle for free that included a PzS35, or there even may be other Bundles like starter bundles for free that would help.

Things you could spend gold on:- 

Equipment - you can spend 10 gold unmounting equipment for a silver refund, but you earn silver and not gold. It's tempting when you're new and have little silver, but don't go mad with it. At low tiers playing for free many have no equipment so just having some will give you an advantage. You can have an "Equipment bank" where you save your silver in equipment rather than just leave it all in your account. To do this use a Camo Net, Binoculars and Toolbox as they are the 3 pieces of equipment that you can unmount and sell for a refund without spending gold. So you can equip them to your tank, play it and then swap them to another tank. Your goal to start with is to equip 2 tanks, then if one is destroyed in battle you have another equipped and ready to go and you can keep selling/swapping the equipment as you go. 

Equipment with the gold nut icon is more useful but you can't swap it or get a refund without spending. Vents are good on premium tanks or ones that you are really sure you will keep and you can still use swappable equipment in the other slots. Vertical Stabilisers are good at high tiers, but don't rush there. Some complex equipment is cheap anyway and not worth spending gold on the refund anyway.

Supplies - you don't have to spend gold on any of them so never do. The first thing you do on any tank is to use the Change Currency button (yellow Y on xbox) to change the currency to silver. Do it for premium.ammo even if you don't carry any in case you forget later. Every time you change or upgrade your tank package check this again as it usually defaults to gold. Get into the habit. Consumables like Repair and Med Kits can also be changed for silver, if you fit them make sure they are silver. You can also remove these for free and swap on your tanks like the Equipment I mentioned above. 

Crew skills - you can spend gold to make your crew train up to 100% in their tank. Being at 100% is important, but not enough to blow gold on. Go to 75% for silver instead. You can swap crew skills when you have learned them (after learning your tank). Only use this when you know what you are doing and swap a skill that you have trained like Camouflage or Recon for Brother In Arms or Sixth Sense which are perks. There are lots of threads on this and overtraining, but doing this means you will rarely spend 10 gold at a time. 

I hope all of this helps and sorry if it is information overload. Always ask if you aren't sure and if your goal is to play for free, always ask before spending gold. Good luck!  :)

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 25 September 2017 - 09:23 AM.

millomborn #11 Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9051 battles

Thanks for the info and the add jelliedpenny. 

I now realise that some equipment is complex and needs dismantling to remove and other non complex items that can be reused .... And thanks for the currency (gold to silver) change info ... Didn't know that and because I have been a bit tight with the gold I haven't experimented with the various shells on offer.

As for spending gold and getting extra gold I have been toying with the idea of buying a premium tank to help train a crew a little quicker. It does seem to be taking some time to train my first crews , I only have one over a 100% so far ! 

Nightshade492 #12 Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

Private

• Players
  • 858 battles
Wow, great to find this forum.

I've had WoT for a long time, but never really cared for it (my ex loved the game, so I begrudgingly played on occasion). My track record reflects my former apathy toward WoT, which is quite unfortunate because now I really like the game - love it, actually!! I've been playing fairly steadily over the past few weeks and want to start fixing my record by increasing my skills and ACTUALLY learning how to play competently. I've bought a healthy dose of premium and have picked my favorite tanks. I guess it's time to get down to business and start committing to the game!

Thank you for posting a newbie section for people like myself.

killer etzi0 #13 Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58401 battles
  • [47R]

View PostNightshade492, on 02 October 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

I've had WoT for a long time, but never really cared for it (my ex loved the game, so I begrudgingly played on occasion). My track record reflects my former apathy toward WoT, which is quite unfortunate because now I really like the game - love it, actually!! I've been playing fairly steadily over the past few weeks and want to start fixing my record by increasing my skills and ACTUALLY learning how to play competently. I've bought a healthy dose of premium and have picked my favorite tanks. I guess it's time to get down to business and start committing to the game!

Thank you for posting a newbie section for people like myself.

Aside from seeking advice here, there are many great players that regularly post up videos on YouTube. I've been playing for over 3 years now and I still follow some of those players, always learning more every day!

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

JelliedPenny08 #14 Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15759 battles

View Postmillomborn, on 29 September 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Thanks for the info and the add jelliedpenny. 

No worries, I hope it helps. If anything isn't clear ask. Premium tanks can be tricky as they allow you to jump in to higher tiers. Pick one at a suitable tier for the nation you need (you're focussing on). I would avoid tier 8s unless you have already ground there and feel comfortable, although the silver bonus is enticing for new players. Higher tiers can be tougher games.

I would recommend tier 5s as a good balance, but 3s can be good for raw crews. There are duff premium tanks and overpowered ones. Ask before spending. The Captured KV-1 will be on sale again before the end of the year. It trains both German and Russian crews and has enough armour to help learn about positioning your tank and correcting it before you get destroyed. 

Check it out here:- 

https://console.worl...1_KV1_Captured/

**Edit - There is an earn op on this month to get a free premium, letting you save gold. Starting Oct 20th:- 

https://console.worl...e-warring-dead/

View PostNightshade492, on 02 October 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

Welcome! Glad you found us...  :)

Don't worry too much about your stats. Everybody looks terrible at the start and it takes a while to iron out the learning curve. Just check them again after a while and see if they look better. I check mine infrequently, as I find focussing on them suck out the fun. 

View Postkiller etzi0, on 05 October 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Aside from seeking advice here, there are many great players that regularly post up videos on YouTube. I've been playing for over 3 years now and I still follow some of those players, always learning more every day!

^^^  This is seriously good advice. ^^^

I find great tips on where to go etc, that may seem counterintuitive until you try them. Or things that I wouldn't have noticed or thought of. Learning from others is a great resource!  :)

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 05 October 2017 - 01:48 PM.

TomekK1974 #15 Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 50537 battles
  • [-P7S-]

目前在戰場上可以看到的圖示有炮彈種類三種和三個裝備,不知有沒有可能,看是要在炮彈旁邊還是裝備旁加入乘員頭像的圖示?

以前就想過這個問題,在3.9更新,可自訂頭像後還蠻希望有這功能的。

Robchriss #16 Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15813 battles
  • [BIER-]

View PostTomekK1974, on 27 October 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

Derzeit auf dem Schlachtfeld kann das Symbol der Schalen von drei Arten und drei Ausrüstungen sehen, ich frage mich, ob es keine Möglichkeit, die Schale neben der Ausrüstung oder Ausrüstung zu sehen, um das Bild zu verbinden

Früher dachte über dieses Problem, in 3.9 Update, kann angepasst werden, nachdem der Avatar ist auch ziemlich hoffnungsvoll, dass diese Funktion.

Very funny, the translator. :teethhappy:

+++ The german Tankers are now expelee! +++ 

Die Bierpatrioten - der Clan bei dem das Bier gewinnt!

Guest_Mart_* #17 Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor2
When will world of tanks war stories be available for pc?

Drac_PL #18 Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

First lieutenant

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 18874 battles
  • [-S-]

View PostTomekK1974, on 27 October 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

View PostRobchriss, on 27 October 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

Derzeit auf dem Schlachtfeld kann das Symbol der Schalen von drei Arten und drei Ausrüstungen sehen, ich frage mich, ob es keine Möglichkeit, die Schale neben der Ausrüstung oder Ausrüstung zu sehen, um das Bild zu verbinden

Früher dachte über dieses Problem, in 3.9 Update, kann angepasst werden, nachdem der Avatar ist auch ziemlich hoffnungsvoll, dass diese Funktion.

Very funny, the translator. :teethhappy:

Guys please bear in mind you are in newcomers forum and you do break forums Rules which you accepted while you created your account.

View PostMart, on 27 October 2017 - 09:51 PM, said:

When will world of tanks war stories be available for pc?

There is a topic: Ask WG anything - i think there you should get answear really quick

Panthfelis #19 Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21842 battles
  • [RELIC]

Found this thread while searching for the New Tanker Package that has disappeared from the store...

What ever happened to the new tanker package they had every month for 850 gold? Came with a Tier 2 or 3 tank. Miss seeing those, I think there are plenty of tanks that could be used for these sales, that even old timers would like. Like the T1E6-X or X1, PS, any one of the T7 Combat Car variants.

This is where I got my first premium tank the Locust. Now I have over a 145...

~ =^"""^= ~

JelliedPenny08 #20 Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15759 battles

View PostPanthfelis, on 28 October 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Found this thread while searching for the New Tanker Package that has disappeared from the store...

What ever happened to the new tanker package they had every month for 850 gold? Came with a Tier 2 or 3 tank. Miss seeing those, I think there are plenty of tanks that could be used for these sales, that even old timers would like. Like the T1E6-X or X1, PS, any one of the T7 Combat Car variants.

This is where I got my first premium tank the Locust. Now I have over a 145...

I noticed this recently, there appears to be less tanks available for 850 than previously. I don't know if they dropped off the radar, or whether the price hikes means they are unlikely to return. 

The last cheap tier 2 premiums I saw in store were the Tetrarch and Micro Maus. I don't think either were less than 1k gold. But they used to be tier 3s (I got the PzS35 that way). However that was given away over the last few months, so maybe they feel it is no longer necessary. The pages should be updated if that is the case though. 

:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users