Omega's Tank Review Number 6: AMV ELC bis

omega tank review French light tank AMX ELC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

omega760 #1 Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11056 battles

Hello and welcome one again to my tank review! Today we're going to be examining the French tier 5 light tank: the AMX ELC. Coming from the slow, heavily armored AMX 40 this tank can be a real shock. Your armor is almost completely stripped away, with the entire tank barely having more then 20 mm anywhere. However, in return your tank is now easily one of the fastest machines at tier 5. When it's stock the ELC comes equipped with a very inadequate 76 mm gun that you get as the top gun on the AMX 40. This gun could have some surprising results if in a tier 4 or 5 game but was nearly completely worthless in a tier 6 game. Well, get ready because the ELC doesn't just see tier 6. In fact, it doesn't even see tier 7 like most tier 5 tanks. No, this tank has scout matchmaking which means you will see tier 8 tanks which will be all but impenetrable to both 76 mm guns on this tank. However, this tank has a secret weapon which we'll cover in the next section.

Once you fully upgrade the ELC you will notice one massive change. The top gun is a huge 90 mm cannon that looks more at home on a tier 6 Heavy tank then it does a tier 5 light. You have one of the largest alpha punches at your tier with an impressive 240 and a high degree of penetration, 170, to match. In fact, you won't see another 90 mm gun on this line of tanks until tier 8! So surely having this massive cannon must have some massive drawbacks to match? Right you are! With a 2.9 second aim time and absolutely abysmal accuracy on the move the ELC simply can not hope to fire accurately unless it sits absolutely still. So, what's the point of having a massive gun if you can't hit anything? Well, as many ELC drivers will tell you it's all about how you use your accuracy. If you sit still for the full aim time the gun is fairly accurate, and with the high degree of penetration as long as your shell hits you have a decent chance of penning your target. This playstyle makes the ELC feel like a pocket sized TD. It can be fairly effective as your small size and light tank statues gifts you with a very good camo factor. However, there is another strategy for hitting your target. One that makes this one of the most exciting tanks to play in the game. Using your speed and small size you close to point blank range on an isolated and distracted tank and unleash your shell when you have no chance to miss regardless of how poor your accuracy is. Then, as quickly as you appear you retreat using your speed to scoot back to safety before most tanks even realize what happened much less have time to react. This attack is especially effective against tall tanks such as the Japanese heavy tank line as an ELC is so small that they simply cannot shoot you at close range! This strategy does have some risks however.  First off, while the ELC is equipped with a turret it does not traverse fully. It is locked forward with a few degrees of traverse to either side. This means that a tank behind you or even to your side can not be shot without turning your tank to face them. Secondly, you only have 400 HP and no armor meaning that tanks at tier 6, much less tier 8, can send you back to the garage with one shot. Also, your tank weighs almost nothing so getting too excited and ramming an enemy tank will usually kill you. This gives ELC has a very unique play style that is high risk and high reward. You have a devastating gun, you are hard to hit on the move, but if you are hit it will usually spell your doom as your HP will seemingly evaporate in just 2 shots.

Now, let's talk about crew skills and equipment. For the crew skills: Sixth Sense, Camo, Smooth Ride, Brothers in Arms, Green Thumb, Clutch Braking, Off-Road Driving, and Deadeye. For equipment choices there are radically different set ups depending on how you want to play. For a long range TD mode I would suggest a Camo Net, Rammer, and Gun Laying Drive. If you prefer to spot then replace the GLD and Rammer with Binocs and Coated Optics. If you prefer the high speed shoot and scoot method I would suggest Rammer, Coated Optics, and Vents. Radically different equipment but the ELC can be played radically differently depending on the player. Whether spotting or shooting if played well this tiny Titan can sweep the battlefield of any enemy resistance without ever being hit.

Have a question or think I missed something? Want to request a review? Just want to say hi? Let me know down below and good luck!  :)

Edit: Looking for part 7? It's here! http://forum-console...-m46-patton-kr/

begbeee_svk #2 Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16476 battles

I three marked and Ace ELC with the setup of:

Binoculars + Optics + Vents

I have used food, 105 octane (bit of an overkill) and about 10 premium shells for opening thougher nuts from the front when oppurtinity was there.

ATHFjman18 #3 Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17951 battles
  • [JOCO]

Not a bad review at all. 

My preferred setup is: rammer, Binos and GLD. These optimize the sniping capabilities. 

If you are are fortunate enough to have the the gold/silver available, buying tank camos and learning the camo skills, then a net is not needed.

Also, if you have view range skills of Recon & Situational Awareness, which lessens the need for optics when playing up close, since you are close enough to be spotted by other tanks, they should already be in your view range too. 

Currently sitting one 1 MOE and if I ever have the time, I'll get one more for it. 

sulla1111 #4 Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13482 battles

I just rebought this tank to grind up a crew for tier ten lights when they come out. I can tell this is one of those tanks that becomes a magnitude better with a crew with a few skills. I don’t even have sixth sense right now which makes it... challenging to play. 

I’ve had to drop binocs and camo net because I was finding I was getting in good positions but needing to pivot and reset both far too often. I currently run optics, gun rammer and vents. I mostly use vents as a compromise between gun handling and view range buff, but I may switch them out to a gun laying drive as shooting without fully aiming in is almost a guaranteed miss. I’d like to wait until I at least get bia on the crew first to see if that improves things enough to be tolerable.

At this stage, I’m planning sixth sense, brothers in arms, camo and then probably muffled shot and green thumb. Any others I might have missed?

begbeee_svk #5 Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:14 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16476 battles
Tier V and higher, scouts are unplayable without 6th sense imho.

Highlordwurm #6 Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17341 battles

Good review, and welcome! ELC is an iconic, snob tank ;) kinda like coffee, you have to force yourself at first, and then you cannot live without it!  I fondly remember the first time I saw one bombing around the battlefield, and I thought ‘the French put a gun on a Ferrari!?’ What a sexy beast! Hubba hubba! It is one of those tanks that if you can play it you are well rewarded and should be proud.

Good, accurate review, if I could add one of my favorite tactics: you mentioned rushing up on a lonely tank, womping him and scurrying away, good tactic! Sometimes, i like to sidle up beside them, though, especially those Jap heavies (it is a little more difficult since they made ram damage so sensative, you can lose your tracks by just brushing a heavy in that little butterfly), the ELC has such a low profile that it can just sit on the side of many tanks and be under their gun depression and you are maneuvarable enough to stay there no matter how hard they try and shake you loose.  It is one of the best experiences in WOT to sidle up beside an OI and clip him down over 4 minutes while he wiggles and twists like an elephant trying to brush off a gadfly with his gun waving 3 feet over your head :B

The only tanks I fear and loath in the ELC are other lights, avoid the anti-scout role, unless it is other ELCs

Improved Aus #7 Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:38 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 26206 battles
This tank is one of the most fun tanks in the game, if you can master it. Once you do master it and can consistently do well with it, you will find your gameplay in other tanks will improve.
Don't be afraid to lose silver with the ELC. Try running food and spamming a few prem rounds and enjoy it's OP'ness. If you have the reflexes of a jungle cat, try octane boost as well.
Patience is a virtue and not taking a shot while lighting up the reds can be a key to victory. With the right skills and perks, though, you can fire at quite a close range and not be seen. Depending what type of tank that you're shooting at of course. This was my first tank to reach 100% damage standing and I'm grateful someone took the time to show me how to get the most out of it.

omega760 #8 Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11056 battles

View Postsulla1111, on 22 October 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

I just rebought this tank to grind up a crew for tier ten lights when they come out. I can tell this is one of those tanks that becomes a magnitude better with a crew with a few skills. I don’t even have sixth sense right now which makes it... challenging to play. 

I’ve had to drop binocs and camo net because I was finding I was getting in good positions but needing to pivot and reset both far too often. I currently run optics, gun rammer and vents. I mostly use vents as a compromise between gun handling and view range buff, but I may switch them out to a gun laying drive as shooting without fully aiming in is almost a guaranteed miss. I’d like to wait until I at least get bia on the crew first to see if that improves things enough to be tolerable.

At this stage, I’m planning sixth sense, brothers in arms, camo and then probably muffled shot and green thumb. Any others I might have missed?

Recon and Situational Awareness will boost your capacity as a scout/spotter. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users