M26 Pershing Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Dieharderxx #1 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4170 battles

So finally made it to my first tier VIII tank last night, the M26 Pershing.  Played two matches and didn't do well, painful financially but I expected it.  I wanted to see how well the tank did.  I like how the tank is well rounded for the most part.  Have a few questions.

1)  Both matches, more than half the tanks were IX heavies.  In fact in the second match, I was the only Green medium and we had 1 light and couple of TDs.  Just bad luck of the draw for match making or will most of my matches be mostly against heavies?  Wondering if mediums die out like lights do.

2) Is the last package the only package where is gun is viable against today's tanks?  I had enough free XP that I could get the 2nd package and the 90mm.  Both matches, my shots did almost nothing but bounce off sides and backs of tanks. Think I made a total of two penetrations for both matches.  I was the last Green tank in the second match but couldn't damage either of the two remaining Red TDs.  Has this tank been outclassed by power creep?

3) Put gun rammer and vertical stabilizer on the tank.  Third slot is open.   Coated Optics or Vents?   Looking at the Pershing's view range compared to other countries' medium and view range on tier IX and X tanks, I say coated optics but looking for opinions.

Any helpful hints of playing the tank would be appreciated!  Really enjoying this tank over the T20. Definitely suits my playstyle.  Off to PG next to get in some practice on this tank.

Unkempt #2 Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 13143 battles
  • [SRT]

Optics/ Stabilizer / Rammer.

American meds have some of the best vision in the game and you'll want to maximize it. The M26 (400m+) view range with optics can pseudo scout if needed.

The first 90mm is serviceable, but 160mm of pen will cause some headaches. As with all tanks, never judge them until they are fully unlocked. Tier 8 is were players start to see another meta change. The game slows down a bit and so does your reload. Make your shots count, and learn weak spots of the tanks you run into often. The M26 top gun (90mm) has 190 pen. Enough to penetrate most anything from the side and rear. It does not have enough pen for frontal engagements against upper tier heavies (E75 lower plates will be a problem). It does however have the best APCR, by cost, of any tank in the game (SP as well). APCR has 268 pen and will handle those top tier heavies. I would keep 15 or so of these rounds to use if you are cornered or need to hit something from the front (lower plates, cupolas etc).

M26 has a great mantlet and 10 degrees of depression, so hull down ridge fighting is where this tank will shine. Top tier your hull armor will hold up better, but bottom, you need to be a second line support/flanker. American meds have fantastic gun handling (dispersion) but at the cost of some accuracy. They shoot exceptionally on the move.  Don't hold back on random shots (snapshots) at tanks that do not expose you to return fire.

Make sure you have Sixth Sense at tier 8+.  Brothers in Arms and Camo skill. These three should be your priority.  Smooth Ride/ Snap Shot/ Silent Driving/ Situation Awareness somewhere in the mix later on.

This was my first line as well and my advice would be to grind and get comfortable with the M26. Do not jump ahead to the M46 thinking it will be better (Its grind is considered one of the worst in the game).

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

Dieharderxx #3 Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4170 battles
Thanks do much for the reply! This will be my learning tank for playing tiers 8-10.

Info was a big help.

HolyFetusChrist #4 Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 8975 battles
  • [7F]

View PostDieharderxx, on 13 September 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

Thanks do much for the reply! This will be my learning tank for playing tiers 8-10.

Info was a big help.

I would also recommend using cola instead of a fire extinguisher. Anything you can do to boost the view since that's what American mediums are known for.

Old account was HappeningShrimp: 3153 WN8, 26 tanks with 3 MoE

3 Marks Of Excellence

Tier 10: T110E5, Obj 140, Object 430, Bat-Chat 25t, AMX 30 B, Grille 15, Waf. auf E 100 Tier 9: M103, M46 Patton Tier 8: Stark Strv S1, Hollenhund, Obj 416, T32, STA-2, AMX 13 90, M51 Super Sherman, Pershing, Panther 88, Fatherland, T34. Tier 7: T20. Tier 6: Strv m/42-57, M4A3E2, Rudy. Tier 5: Churchill lll, M4

Dieharderxx #5 Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:38 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4170 battles

View Postl Feastiality l, on 13 September 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

I would also recommend using cola instead of a fire extinguisher. Anything you can do to boost the view since that's what American mediums are known for.

Maybe when I get much better in the tank, I'll run it but right now, that option is a little too expensive. :) 

PumpkinEcobar #6 Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:14 AM

Major

• Players
  • 8705 battles
I haven't had mine long but I like it. I try to get as much assisted damage as I can in it. The great view range as mentioned earlier along with its hull down capabilities make for good scouting. That combined with tracking being a top priority have made the Pershing very enjoyable for me. It deals plenty of damage, but is better suited for a support role.
I use rammer, v stabs and optics. For perks I'm switching between camo and view range skills after the basics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users