Omega's Tank Review Number 7: M46 Patton KR

omega tank review American medium tank M46 Patton KR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

omega760 #1 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11056 battles

Hello and welcome to the next installment in my tank review series! This go round we're going to be doing something slightly different and looking at one of the many premium tanks in game, the M46 Patton KR, so the format is going to be slightly different as a result. As this is a premium vehicle there are no upgrades so what you see when purchasing the vehicle is what you get. The regular American tier 8 premium is the Pershing, however this tank is closer to a stock version of the nonpremium tier 9 M46 Patton at tier 8 with regular matchmaking. I'll be comparing the tank to both of these vehicles to give you an idea of what to expect.

Let's start with arguably the most important part of any tank, the gun. While you have a 90 mm similar to the top gun on the Pershing and the gun you can use stock on the M46, there are some differences to take note of. First, your standard round has very slight extra pen. 192 as opposed to 190. A much larger difference is seen in the premium rounds when the nonpremium tanks having a definite advantage. 243 vs 268. The damage is the exact same as could be expected of identical caliber weapons at the same tier. You have a slightly faster reload then the Pershing and slightly less then the tier 9 Patton. Your accuracy is worse at 0.38 but not by much as both nonpremium tanks have dispersion values of 0.37 making the difference, at first, largely negligible. Both nonpremium tanks also have better aim times however, the KR clocking in at 2.5, the Pershing at 2.3, and the Patton at 2 leading to the KR having higher DPM then the tier 8 counterpart but in exchange for having the worst overall accuracy. All in all the gun holds up very favorably when compared to both tier 8 and 9 American counterparts. The one very noticeable flaw is in your shell velocity. The Pershing has an AP velocity of 975 m/s. The Patton KR has a much lower 853 m/s. This combined with the lower overall accuracy means sniping is much more difficult in this tank then the Pershing.

Next, we'll discuss the tanks armor. Or to be more accurate, lack thereof. The hull on all three tanks is largely the same in that it is complete garbage, with your strongest front armor being a mere 101 mm. Don't expect to bounce any shells if the body of your tank is exposed. Only a lucky ricochet is likely to prevent you from taking damage from any gun with 175 pen or more, of which there are plenty at the tiers this tank sees. The turret is slightly better but also slightly disappointing. Your turret is, on paper, the same as the Pershing. However, in reality your turret has a weaker gun mantlet and overall poorer turret armor then it's tier 8 brother meaning that hull down positions aren't as strong for you as they are on the Pershing. It's much more advisable to use your gun depression and decent handling to quickly snap shots over a ridge at distracted enemies then to stare them down and expect your turret to harmlessly deflect incoming fire. Speaking of gun depression, you will be happy to know that you have the same excellent 10 degrees that you would see on a Pershing, so while you can't count on your turret's armor as much, you are able to use ridges and terrain features just as effectively when bringing the gun to bear.

Finally, we'll discuss the tanks speed and maneuverability. You have nearly the exact same top speed limit as the Pershing of around 48 kph, however you have a better power to weight ratio meaning you will reach and maintain this speed more effectively. Both tanks have the exact same hull and turret traverse speed of 38 degrees meaning you have very similar maneuverability. These combine to make the Patton Korea slightly better at moving around the battlefield and getting into advantageous positions faster then you can on the Pershing.

Taking all these factors into account the Patton KR manages to hold its own against its nonpremium brother with some slight, but telling, playstyle differences. The poorer performance at range is somewhat offset by your more reliable mobility allowing you to close the distances faster. This makes you more likely to be on the frontline and brawling then a regular Pershing but the better DPM will allow you to fire faster to compensate. As a premium vehicle you typically make very good earnings due to the low cost of your 90 mm shells in relation to the damage they do. The tank is also very good at teaching you the jack of all trades playstyle common to American mediums with its flexible capabilities. Handled properly this medium tank will lead your team to victory and make a mint doing so.

Recommended Crew Skills: Sixth Sense, Smooth Ride, Snap Shot, Clutch Braking, Recon, Situational Awareness, Deadeye, Repairs, Brothers in Arms.

Recommended Equipment: Vertical Stabilizer, Rammer, Coated Optics or Vents.

Have or question or think I missed something? Want to request a review? Just want to say hi? Let me know down below and good luck! :)

CHROMA Gold #2 Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 27482 battles
  • [SHINE]
Your crew skill picks for the tank are a little weird, I wouldn’t bother with clutch braking, dead eye, smooth ride, go silent driving, off road, and camo, and are you recommending those perks on that order bc if you are that’s a questionable pick by pick. However it is one of my favorite t8’s I’ve played 3 marked it in 103 battles. It’s not the best t8 prem but it’s a fun one.

XEboi #3 Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22817 battles
I've just picked this up wanted it when it was on the in game store in September, noticed yesterday it was still on the Ps store so snapped it up & I'm enjoying myself in it

Has to nick a good crew out of my t34 though as a newbie crew was bad

It's a fun tank & I makes very good siliver

omega760 #4 Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11056 battles

View PostCHROMA Gold, on 24 October 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

Your crew skill picks for the tank are a little weird, I wouldn’t bother with clutch braking, dead eye, smooth ride, go silent driving, off road, and camo, and are you recommending those perks on that order bc if you are that’s a questionable pick by pick. However it is one of my favorite t8’s I’ve played 3 marked it in 103 battles. It’s not the best t8 prem but it’s a fun one.

The crew skills are in no particular order. Deadeye is decent on any vehicle that fires both AP and APCR. I play mine as an aggressive flanker due to its enhanced mobility over the Pershing. So Smooth Ride and a Vert Stab gives me a lot of accuracy while staying mobile especially when the tank is already pretty good at firing shots on the move. Clutch Braking helps you get that extra bit of grunt when turning the tank that helps me circle big slow tanks.

Pawel Broda 73 #5 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 31127 battles

Thanks for advice and review of a Patton KR 46

Well done

Also tagged with omega, tank, review, American, medium tank, M46, Patton, KR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users