W 4 L K U R E #1 Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]

​The FV215b Review

​Written by: W4LKURE (duh)

Spoiler

The tier ten British heavy tank FV215b is one of the most severely misunderstood and undervalued tanks in WOT. Many have abandoned it in favor of the (relatively) new Chieftain Mk. 6 heavy, but there are strengths to the FV215b that the Chieftain cannot copy, and some weaknesses to it that the Chieftain cannot supplement with strengths. In this review, I will highlight the strengths of the FV and how to exploit them, touch on its potential as a "heavium", highlight its weaknesses and how to negate them, and draw comparisons between the FV215b and the Chieftain. There is no TLDR because this is going in my sig as a link. Enjoy!

First to mention is the FV's strong points, of which there are more than most may think.

-Chiefly, there is the gun. Oh my does it have a gun. The 120mm that this tank gets is one of the best in the game. Phenomenal penetration, insane aim time, 7.35 second reload (with my loadout), godlike soft stats, I have absolutely no complaints with the gun on this tank.

-Coupled with this wonderful cannon is an equally strong turret. For a rear mounted turret, it has nice gun depression. It is very ​well armored. It's also small, and turns quickly. With the turret being so strong, both streetfighting and hillfighting are made easier when coupled with the gun depression. The tricky cupola on top is also a nice strong point, as it is sloped and difficult to penetrate. Hull-down is a big strength of this vehicle, use it.

-The armor at the front​ is ok. The big front plate is 152mm thick and nicely sloped, which makes autoaiming the FV215b unwise, as it is likely to bounce 7/10 times. Keep your front towards the enemy at ALL times to maximize the chances of a bounce.

-The FV possesses a big chunk of HP that enables you to trade with enemies well. Because of this, you can afford to take hits because, if your aim is true, you will simply out-damage everything you face.

-The speed of the FV215b, while not great, is fine by my standards. It's fast enough to not be a "true heavy" but slow enough to edge it out of the "true medium" class. This, coupled with the ok armor and large cannon, effectively makes it a combination of the two: a "heavium". The turning of the chassis is very snappy for a tank of its size, making sharp turns and redirections very easy.

-The reload allows you to engage a variety of targets with different ammunition. If you face heavily armored targets, in 7 seconds you have an APCR shell ready to go. Fighting a waffle? Pull back and load up a HESH round. One of my favorite things about the FV is the reload, use it wisely and effectively to maximize your battlefield effectiveness.

All of the above qualities combine to create the FV215b's strongest weapon: target acquisition. The FV215b, with its blistering ROF, large hitpoint pool, high accuracy, quick turning, and OK armor, work in concert to enable the driver to acquire, engage, and dispatch enemies very quickly. 

The weaknesses of the FV are few, but are extremely unforgiving and difficult to mask. You need to work constantly to hide or negate them to maximize your effectiveness. 

-The armor of the FV is great in two places: UFP and Turret. Everywhere else is to be hidden or reduced at all times. The most important lesson you will learn with your FV is this: ​DO NOT SIDESCRAPE IF YOU CAN BE SHOT​. You WILL die, or take a TON of damage. Your side armor is simply too weak to allow it, so don't do it unless you are absolutely sure your enemy is reloading or not shooting or aiming at you. It's better to learn it here in this post, but if not the FV will make you learn very quickly.

-The ammo count of the FV is criminally low for the DPM it possesses, you have 35 shots spread out between AP, APCR, and HESH.

For me, the most effective loadout was 22, 10, 3. This was effective for most battles I would play in it, as the average good game for me was around 3.5k per game I think. In all battles however, the longer you are alive, the more you must ​make EVERY shot count. This thing's damage is capped at 14,000 (roughly). It can't go much higher than that. My best game in the FV was 9k and that left me with 3 shells with no misses. It becomes increasingly more difficult to do more damage with each missed shot.

-Your lower plate is terrible. No other way to put it. Everything above tier 4 that isn't an SU-85b will penetrate your LFP. Every. Single. Time. Solution? Just don't show it. Ever. When hillfighting, turret and UFP exposed ONLY. No exceptions or you will die. When streetfighting, use cover and go hull-down. Sidescrape sparingly and QUICKLY to avoid taking fire. Never count on your armor to save you. 

The Do's and Don'ts of the FV215b

​DO

​-Brawl

​Don't let the armor fool you. This tank loves to brawl. Get stuck in and let that gun sing. Be conservative, however. You've got HP, but you're no Maus. Be smart about your engagements. 

-​Stay with allies.

As with any tank, you die easily when alone. You can trade well with other heavies and mediums, but will die quickly when engaged by multiple enemies from many sides.

-Keep your enemies in front

This should be obvious, but I see idiots do this way too often. Don't go charging into a firefight with multiple enemies if you are unsure of certain victory. If you keep your enemies in front of you it will be much easier to acquire, engage, and destroy multiple enemies. 

​DON'T

​- Sidescrape

I already mentioned this. Go back and read.

- Don't snipe

Unless you can with no risk of missing or must do so to avoid dying, don't snipe. Sniping increases your chances of missing, and that's a big no-no in this tank.

- Don't engage TD's willingly.

Seriously, don't do it. The kind of high-tier tank destroyers you will face constantly will destroy your armor regardless of angle. The FV215b is extremely proficient at killing other heavies and mediums. It will lose in a frontal 1v1 with a TD. Unless you know you'll be able to successfully trade, find a way around.

-Avoid taking full clips from autoloaders

Particularly autoloading heavies like the T57 and AMX 50B. They will be able to take the punishment you're giving out, then reload and dump 1600 damage into you. They'll only need to do it twice, but you will need to shoot at least 5 times to kill them. 5x7 is 35 and both of those tanks reload in under 35 seconds. You can get away with it, but knowing RNG you'll want to avoid it.

-Most of the Don'ts​ above can be heavily negated or even eliminated by going hull down-

The FV215b and the Chieftain are very similar tanks. Therefore they employ roughly the same tactics and methods to be successful on the battlefield. 

The one main advantage the chieftain has over the FV is ammo. The chieftain is far more forgiving of poor marksmanship since you get 60 rounds. It also has better penetration, is almost as accurate, and has roughly the same reload. 

Another big advantage the chieftain has is a front mounted turret and great gun depression. No analysis needed. It's just better.

Other than that, they are strikingly similar. 

-Relatively strong UFP

-Garbage LFP

-Strong turret front

-Fantastic gun

-Fast turret rotation speed

-Quick reloads

-Garbage side armor. No sidescraping.

-Can hillfight and streetfight with their strong turrets if cover is used properly

The FV does a few things better than the Chieftain, however. 

-It turns faster

-Mine probably reloads faster, about the same for most though (I think)

-Its gun stats are slightly more forgiving

-It has AP as standard. This is huge if you know how APCR works against angled armor

-Its cupola is far less prominent.

In my view, and experience, the above traits are enough for me to put away my Chieftain and play my FV more frequently.

In short, the FV215b is a true heavium. It should be played as such. If you find some of your medium tank instincts showing through in your FV215b, that's good, because they will help you a lot more than your heavy tank skills will. One thing to remember is to be aware of your surroundings AT ALL TIMES. You should do this in every tank, but the FV215b will punish you much more for an exposed flank. If you do get flanked, you'll need to disengage from the enemies to your front to deal with the new threat. With sides as weak as yours, flanking will kill you quickly. 

Before I end this, I should note that most mediums short of the E-50M have weak armor at the front. The snappy gun, quick turn speed, and fast shell velocity with high pen make doing a lot of RBRT a viable solution in close range firefights.

This is the only real clip of gameplay I've got, as my Xbox won't connect to WOT at school. It shows what the tank can do while highlighting some of its weaknesses. 

http://xboxclips.com...f9-aff116171903

That's pretty much it. hope you guys enjoyed and found this useful!

​My FV215b Review is here: 

​WOTC 2017- The emperor has no clothes!

ProExercitio #2 Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27098 battles
  • [UP]

Nice review OP, and I have to admit understanding it really helps your performance. While I was marking my FV215b I was for quite some time hovering around 83-86% damage standing and then I asked some advice from the forums. I ended up sending a PM to OP and he told me the same things that are in this thread. It made me open my eyes and I finally got the hang of this tank and now it's a definite keeper in my garage with three stripes on the barrel. So thanks again W 4 L K U R E. :)

One thing I kind of disagree with is sidescraping as you can't always trust only on your turret (and/or upper hull). If you do it properly it saves you a lot of hp on flat ground and it's the best way to peek corners. Another question is should you even peek that spot in the first place or not...

Also I've got few games from my third MoE grind uploaded on my YouTube. I can add the links here if OP doesn't mind, it's his guide after all.

edit: Here are the links, last one is almost 10k damage

Playing defensively

Aggression

3rd MoE game

Edited by ProExercitio, 27 September 2017 - 09:21 PM.

W 4 L K U R E #3 Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]

View PostProExercitio, on 27 September 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Nice review OP, and I have to admit understanding it really helps your performance. While I was marking my FV215b I was for quite some time hovering around 83-86% damage standing and then I asked some advice from the forums. I ended up sending a PM to OP and he told me the same things that are in this thread. It made me open my eyes and I finally got the hang of this tank and now it's a definite keeper in my garage with three stripes on the barrel. So thanks again W 4 L K U R E. :)

One thing I kind of disagree with is sidescraping as you can't always trust only on your turret (and/or upper hull). If you do it properly it saves you a lot of hp on flat ground and it's the best way to peek corners. Another question is should you even peek that spot in the first place or not...

Also I've got few games from my third MoE grind uploaded on my YouTube. I can add the links here if OP doesn't mind, it's his guide after all.

​Feel free bro. Again, glad to help!

USSWISCONSIN94 #4 Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 7287 battles
  • [47R]
It can sidescrap. But my E4 and T30 reminds why it shouldn't vs 152s and 155s. Does look interesting though

http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?

W 4 L K U R E #5 Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]

View PostUSSWISCONSIN94, on 27 September 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

It can sidescrap. But my E4 and T30 reminds why it shouldn't vs 152s and 155s. Does look interesting though

​I know. I can do it, but highly recommend against doing so until the player is comfortable with the tank. You have to KNOW how far you can angle before you're in trouble

USSWISCONSIN94 #6 Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 7287 battles
  • [47R]

View PostW 4 L K U R E, on 27 September 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

​I know. I can do it, but highly recommend against doing so until the player is comfortable with the tank. You have to KNOW how far you can angle before you're in trouble

I know. Loce teaching people about the 3 caliber rule in my T30. :D so much fun. Also. Don't remember the name for it but that little spot below the turret is a weakspot on the hull. Had a FV tried to SS on me in my E-75 i forgotten about it until i say him/her sitting there and i shot them. :)

http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?

W 4 L K U R E #7 Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]
Yeah that corner on the fighting compartment is a real downer

NightOfDeaths #8 Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23629 battles
  • [KMD]
Watches you get rekt by arty*

Screw my elders!!!!

World of Tanks a game where it's 1 versus 29. 15 reds trying to kill you and 14 greens trying to support them. The yellows are your only hope. For signature and stats visit http://wotinfo.net/en/player-stats

2 & 3 MoEs

W 4 L K U R E #9 Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]

View PostNightOfDeaths, on 27 September 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Watches you get rekt by arty*

​Getting rekkkked and kekkked by arty is not tenk specific

John Sosebee #10 Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14335 battles
  • [BNKR]
Good review.
WarGaming Auto-Response AI

W 4 L K U R E #11 Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]

View PostJohn Sosebee, on 27 September 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

Good review.

ty m8

Tempest fox3 #12 Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16698 battles
  • [UNI]
You can sidescrape though, it only has 1 fairly small sidescraping weakspot on each side which most people don't even know about and those that do will often miss.

Your side armour is thick enough to avoid overmatch and you can sidescrape at an auto-bounce angle thanks to the turret location.

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

Tier 10's: T110E3, E-50m, T110E4, FV 215b, IS 7, T57 Heavy, Fv 4202, Leopard 1, FV 215b (183), E-100, Bat Chat 25t, T110E5, IS-4, Conqueror Gun Carrier, STB-1, M48 Patton, JgPz E-100, T-62a, 121, Waffenträger Auf E-100, Obj 263, Maus, Foch 155, AMX 50b, 113, Obj 268, Obj 140, Chieftain Mk6 - In order researched.  

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite

BigHundy #13 Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 5112 battles
  • [HQ]

I tend to set them on fire an awful lot.

The gun stats are nice though.

98% of system problems are user related.

ScottRey97 #14 Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13472 battles

How dare you have an opinion on a tank, pure filth.

Srsly tho. Good review, makes me feel a bit more comfortable about getting it. (Passively though, only play the conq in platoons)

W 4 L K U R E #15 Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]

View PostTempest fox3, on 27 September 2017 - 10:38 PM, said:

You can sidescrape though, it only has 1 fairly small sidescraping weakspot on each side which most people don't even know about and those that do will often miss.

Your side armour is thick enough to avoid overmatch and you can sidescrape at an auto-bounce angle thanks to the turret location.

​I know it can, I don't recommend it for new FV drivers as the angle has to be almost nil

spraynpray34 #16 Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:26 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15651 battles
Thanks W4lkure I enjoyed that review. More than likely revisit the 215b as it's gathered dust since the chief arrived.

Panthfelis #17 Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16081 battles
  • [RELIC]
Thanks for the info!

~ =^"""^= ~

ThunderChickenX #18 Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:03 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13188 battles
  • [TRB]

Nice one mate! :D As far as sidescraping is concerned I wouldn't rule it out completely, as it's still the least exposed way to peek a corner, but it is definitely not reliable with the crew compartment weakspot!

Oh and you put ufp twice in the bullets lol

"Trying is the first step toward failure." - Homer Simpson

I don't upload much, if ever: www.youtube.com/channel/UCu-MJIN-3uT6m-B3LhHj6

For Those Who Care Spoiler

TocFanKe4 #19 Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:56 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17030 battles
  • [GIRLS]
I played it once on a WG account at an event. Could pick any tank in the game, picked that one.

Came around a corner, and arty hits me blind firing. Took most of my health. Then I bounced off a E5 about 5 times trying to sidescrape, as got finished off by arty. I was pissed I didn't get to play it.

When I look back upon my capping, it's always with a sense of shame - Pet Shop Toc

I stream inconsistently and often with beer : https://www.twitch.tv/tocfanke4 Stream contains language that is inappropes. 

Steel Wolf 31 #20 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 14790 battles
  • [VGC]

Here's one to supplement the learning: FV215b hulldown hill warrior http://xboxdvr.com/g.../video/18381369

Not my highest damage game, but it does highlight some of the tank's strengths. Accuracy while moving, rof, trollish turret, and that commander's hatch bouncing a hit from the Jagdtiger. 

What ever tactic you use is legit, but if the emey does it then its a cheap unfair OP noob tactic. 

http://www.wotinfo.n...687&server=xbox

Also tagged with opinion, review, FV215b, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users