Extreme Weather Maps

Remove Please

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

PortableNuke #1 Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11538 battles

Dear WG, just in case you're trying to think of some maps to remove and rework for several months, please take these. I'm at the point where I hate them so much I may start dashboarding when they appear so I don't have to play them.

Also Icebound, because that map is a travesty.

*** T29, Tiger II, M24 Chaffee, M41 Bulldog

BPD13E17 #2 Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16436 battles
The weather maps need to be out like a fat kid in dodgeball.  Look cool, but horribly impractical.  

aGundamDownHere #3 Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16524 battles
Personally, I like how it changes the game play dynamics. People have to (or at least should) play farther forward and more aggressively. It should discourage camping, although in actuality in some cases it has the opposite effect and makes people hunker down like scared little ferrets during a thunderstorm. Which I guess is appropriate, given the topic.

Be verbose - you have a vocabulary for a reason.

Good with words; bad with tanks. At least I can talk you to death.

Required Reading: https://leadershipfr...-like-a-leader/

BPD13E17 #4 Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16436 battles

View PostaGundamDownHere, on 29 September 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

Personally, I like how it changes the game play dynamics. People have to (or at least should) play farther forward and more aggressively. It should discourage camping, although in actuality in some cases it has the opposite effect and makes people hunker down like scared little ferrets during a thunderstorm. Which I guess is appropriate, given the topic.

I think it causes camping, like you said.

RUNNINGDUDE1 #5 Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 23248 battles
People will camp regardless. It won't make them move up to a spot cause they know they would be spotted instantly by a scout and get blasted away by snipers/arty

Kaystonian #6 Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 9903 battles

View PostaGundamDownHere, on 29 September 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

That the main problem tho ppl just camp, and to the team that ventures out in a attempt to win gets slaughtered. However I do love the fact how someone can be within a block of me or so in my 430 an not see me lol

BrogueOne #7 Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 22739 battles
  • [ELDER]

I can definitely agree with you here.  Weather maps, in principle, are excellent for changing dynamics and breaking the monotony that can sometimes occur from regular games.

My ONLY complaint about weather maps is the degradation of graphical quality and FPS drops.  The urban variants are the absolute worst with pervasive "skitter" or "stutter".....it's like graphics glitches and lag had a basterd child that continually vomits on my screen.  And it's definitely NOT my farking ISP because I haven't had any problems with lag ever since I hard-lined my PS4 nearly a year ago(and I now gleefully laugh at all the "fix the damn lag" posts that pop up once a week or so).  

Saerbhreathach #8 Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21901 battles

RUNNINGDUDE1 #9 Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 23248 battles

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 29 September 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

It's not enough bro. It's not enough to be this damn high.

Saerbhreathach #10 Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21901 battles

View PostRUNNINGDUDE1, on 29 September 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

It's not enough bro. It's not enough to be this damn high.

:teethhappy:

I like the way they look. I'd be happy and I'm sure I'm not alone, if they just removed the mechanics and left them as eye candy. 

Unfortunately, their "focus groups" indicate that the weather variants are well received. And I really don't think there's enough tantrums any of us could throw that will change WG's mind.... 

Tis how the cookie crumbles.... 

SkillfulTurtl3 #11 Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 31571 battles

It changes the way I play if on Sandstorm....... if in a fast tank I either close my eyes and charge, or stay still.

For those who suffer from motion sickness these maps are a nightmare if you drive fast.

PortableNuke #12 Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11538 battles

What is it specifically that you like about the gameplay dynamics?

In my experience, people who push forward get beaten up while those sitting behind get some free damage without fear of being spotted. I can see this being attractive to people who never push up and are always following the aggressive players. Light tanks are irrelevant as their view range is also nerfed.

I just don't get why people could enjoy playing like this.

*** T29, Tiger II, M24 Chaffee, M41 Bulldog

LuckySkillz 115 #13 Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 13623 battles
  • [TYS69]
Honestly I love the weather maps, its a more stressful environment to perform in, and I love being able to scout from spots only practical in said maps. They also allow me to be able to play more aggressively in my medium tanks.

Over 80% games in medium tanks and rising --- the Medium Tank Man

http://worldoftanksxbox360edition.com/community/accounts/193411-LuckySkillz%20115/ <-- Link to my Service Record.

Signature made by: PublicSafety <-- Link to topic.

aGundamDownHere #14 Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16524 battles

View PostPortableNuke, on 29 September 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

In my experience, people who push forward get beaten up while those sitting behind get some free damage without fear of being spotted. I can see this being attractive to people who never push up and are always following the aggressive players. Light tanks are irrelevant as their view range is also nerfed.

View PostLuckySkillz 115, on 29 September 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

Honestly I love the weather maps, its a more stressful environment to perform in, and I love being able to scout from spots only practical in said maps. They also allow me to be able to play more aggressively in my medium tanks.

Essentially what LuckySkillz said. By reducing view range, parts of the map that were formerly deathtraps open themselves up. Open terrain isn't quite as deadly as it used to be, and that creates new dynamics for where people can go and when. Parts of that map that are viable without the weather variant become less effective, and parts of the map that used to be locked down open up a bit more. Also, artillery and snipers now have to move closer to the front if they want to mitigate the penalties to radio range and effective spotting distance. Of course, the effect is proportional to the size of the map. When the 360 is eventually dropped (and no, this is not a call for it to be dropped), the maps will theoretically expand beyond what they currently are, which should (again, theoretically) give people enough experience playing these variants to more radically alter game play.

Be verbose - you have a vocabulary for a reason.

Good with words; bad with tanks. At least I can talk you to death.

Required Reading: https://leadershipfr...-like-a-leader/

VKSheridan #15 Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:08 AM

Major

• Players
  • 23194 battles

View PostPortableNuke, on 29 September 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

I like them because they force me to use different kill zones versus cruise right up to my fair weather honey holes.  People who push forward without using cover or strategy will indeed die.  Those camping usually die, just a bit later in the game.

Everyone talks about how weather creates camping, bad render range and all that but they always seem to fall short explaining how red beat them fighting in the same weather.....Just blame the map.

LuckySkillz 115 #16 Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 13623 battles
  • [TYS69]

View PostVKSheridan, on 29 September 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

I like them because they force me to use different kill zones versus cruise right up to my fair weather honey holes.  People who push forward without using cover or strategy will indeed die.  Those camping usually die, just a bit later in the game.

Everyone talks about how weather creates camping, bad render range and all that but they always seem to fall short explaining how red beat them fighting in the same weather.....Just blame the map.

​Love being red :justwait:

Over 80% games in medium tanks and rising --- the Medium Tank Man

http://worldoftanksxbox360edition.com/community/accounts/193411-LuckySkillz%20115/ <-- Link to my Service Record.

Signature made by: PublicSafety <-- Link to topic.

BigHundy #17 Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9611 battles
  • [FCCM]

View PostPortableNuke, on 29 September 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Dear WG, just in case you're trying to think of some maps to remove and rework for several months, please take these. I'm at the point where I hate them so much I may start dashboarding when they appear so I don't have to play them.

Also Icebound, because that map is a travesty.

+1 a million times.

wake up WG, weather variants SUCK!

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and cheap women. The other half I wasted -  W.C. Fields

On the last day of your life, don't forget to die.

MechanicKarma97 #18 Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 26552 battles
  • [TRA2]

I'm still waiting for WG to add F5 tornadoes.

All jokes aside I completely agree with you, these weather maps are terrible for both gameplay and practicality. They make scouts irrelevant, decrease view range for all tanks, encourage camping and punish anyone who dares to play aggressively.

Basically extreme weather maps ruin the game and decrease the fun factor immensely.

Pit Friend #19 Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32662 battles
  • [PTATO]

View PostaGundamDownHere, on 29 September 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Essentially what LuckySkillz said. By reducing view range, parts of the map that were formerly deathtraps open themselves up. Open terrain isn't quite as deadly as it used to be, and that creates new dynamics for where people can go and when. Parts of that map that are viable without the weather variant become less effective, and parts of the map that used to be locked down open up a bit more. Also, artillery and snipers now have to move closer to the front if they want to mitigate the penalties to radio range and effective spotting distance. Of course, the effect is proportional to the size of the map. When the 360 is eventually dropped (and no, this is not a call for it to be dropped), the maps will theoretically expand beyond what they currently are, which should (again, theoretically) give people enough experience playing these variants to more radically alter game play.

The problem is that vehicle view range is trashed and radio range is shortened render range is unaffected. What invariably happens on these weather maps is that whichever side gets spotted first gets shredded by the side that wasn't spotted. TDs and artillery don't have to move all that much farther up to cause even more damage.

The high winds don't even affect shooting. Low velocity shells like derp shots and especially artillery should have higher dispersion in such high winds and even high velocity ones should be affected, especially with long distance shots. But nothing happens so you still get the camping snipers and artillery.

If weather maps shortened the render range as well then it might work as intended, forcing both sides to move up to brawl. As it stands now all the weather maps do is make both sides camp and wait for the other side to get spotted and wrecked by the gun line. 

I asked an EOD man how he dealt with the stress of his job. 

He said he didn’t have any stress. Either he was right or else it became someone else’s problem. 

FuzzySquirrel21 #20 Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10518 battles
I personally love the weather maps.   Although, I'm also glad that they are very rare for me.   It's a nice break from the standard stuff.   It does bring in a different dynamic to the game.   Also, a couple patches ago, they did adjust the view ranges percent depending if you have a light or heavy tank etc.   I will say this tho, maps like Sand River which I already hate and think it's the worst map in the game, the weather effects on this map make it even worse.   I find weather maps work when there's lots of cover throughput the map.

Also tagged with Remove, Please

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users